Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/11/2022 at 14:17, Ray Gin said:

I watched the first episode of SAS Rogue Heroes last night. It was a bit cheesy but still fairly enjoyable. I was expecting something a bit grittier.

Going to do a second series so you should get the grit. I'm presuming the next series will cover the later years of the war in France where the SAS was stationed.  

While North Africa in the desert was derring do to establish the principle of all out surprise attack, it was the following years in France where the SAS properly got the respect albeit still not fully accepted. 

And while I'm not a massive fan of too much focus on war 80 years on, some of the stories from France aren't so well known and should be. 

3 hours ago, jambosean75 said:

really enjoying Slow Horses on apple tv

I enjoyed the first season of it, haven't started the second yet, but on my to-watch list

4 hours ago, jambosean75 said:

really enjoying Slow Horses on apple tv

the first series was great and the second has started well. gary oldman is great in it

Just started Tulsa King with Sylvester Stallone on Paramount+. He plays a mafia man who gets out of prison after serving 25 years and is sent to set up business in Tulsa by the boss of the family. 

As part of BBC 100 year anniversary BBC4 have been re screening classic tv shows on their channel.

I watched " The Singing Detective" again. I recall it first time around but i enjoyed it even more as the character in it has Psoriatic arthritis   which I also have. I didnt have it then.  However it was good to see it being featured on a tv series and how it impacts in a person.  Anyway his illness is a side issue to the fantasty world he starts to hallucinate  whilst in hospital for treatment. Its a bizarre , surreal series which is also very funny . Michael Gambon is brilliant in the role as Phillip Marlow  without the E .  :)

If you like the old music from the 30s and 40s there is also plenty of that where the characters lip sych to classic songs of that period.  Like is said its a bizarre series but compelling. It won a heap of awards too.  It was written by the great Denis Porter who also had the same illness as the main character but stated that the character wasn't based on him. Im hoping the BBC repeat " Karaoke" and " Cold Lazarus" which were his final plays.  Both were incredible. Esp " Cold Lazarus" which had very existential  themes running through it. 

10,10 from me

Unsure why the font changed but cant fix it. 

4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

As part of BBC 100 year anniversary BBC4 have been re screening classic tv shows on their channel.

I watched " The Singing Detective" again. I recall it first time around but i enjoyed it even more as the character in it has Psoriatic arthritis   which I also have. I didnt have it then.  However it was good to see it being featured on a tv series and how it impacts in a person.  Anyway his illness is a side issue to the fantasty world he starts to hallucinate  whilst in hospital for treatment. Its a bizarre , surreal series which is also very funny . Michael Gambon is brilliant in the role as Phillip Marlow  without the E .  :)

If you like the old music from the 30s and 40s there is also plenty of that where the characters lip sych to classic songs of that period.  Like is said its a bizarre series but compelling. It won a heap of awards too.  It was written by the great Denis Porter who also had the same illness as the main character but stated that the character wasn't based on him. Im hoping the BBC repeat " Karaoke" and " Cold Lazarus" which were his final plays.  Both were incredible. Esp " Cold Lazarus" which had very existential  themes running through it. 

10,10 from me

Unsure why the font changed but cant fix it. 

Potter was a great writer but a lot of his stuff is very dark. Blur Remembered Hills is an amazing piece of television. It follows a bunch of 7 year old kids but they are played by adult actors.  

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Potter was a great writer but a lot of his stuff is very dark. Blur Remembered Hills is an amazing piece of television. It follows a bunch of 7 year old kids but they are played by adult actors.  

Yes he really was. I like all his stuff.  Its very thought provoking. I really think that hes telling slight porkies about " The singing detective" not being based on his life.  Well certainly his childhood.  " Cold Lazarus" is probably my favourite of his,. I like the themes in it about peoples right to their own memories  and the right to privacy etc.  etc.  Its very science fiction based and has the head of Albert Finney character frozen and his memories are drained from him and sold to television companies etc. Very surreal but its Albert Finney who is superb, Potter wrote it when he was dying of cancer so had a lot on his mind, He hated Rupert Murdoch and the show takes shots at him at various points really.   I think that Karoke and CL are both on youtube. 

mrmarkus1981_1

Quite enjoying Echo 3. Watching on Kodi but its an AppleTV thing.

Thought it was going to be a typical 'AMERICA **** YEAH' type but its not.

On 10/12/2022 at 23:43, Tazio said:

Just started Tulsa King with Sylvester Stallone on Paramount+. He plays a mafia man who gets out of prison after serving 25 years and is sent to set up business in Tulsa by the boss of the family. 

Is this a sin city rip off? That's the vibe I get.

I know others have talked about it, but I've only just finished watching Andor on Disney+, and it's excellent. Not just a Star Wars series, but an actually great TV series for anyone, not just SW fans. So much better than the likes of the Boba Fett and Obi-Wan dross that Disney have churned out. The only disappointment is there's only going to be one more season. Hopefully Disney realise there's more appetite for the kind of series storylines that they've shown in Andor.

'A spy amongst friends' on ITVx 

Bit slow but interesting stuff, about the Cambridge spies, mostly Kim Philby(played by Mike from Neighbours)

The Bear

Disney+ drama about a Michelin star chef taking over his dead brother’s sandwich shop. Gritty Chicago dialogue and kitchen antics. Loving it👍🏻

2 hours ago, JimBett365 said:

The Bear

Disney+ drama about a Michelin star chef taking over his dead brother’s sandwich shop. Gritty Chicago dialogue and kitchen antics. Loving it👍🏻

Just started the first episode. Bloody hell it’s high velocity stuff in the first 15 minutes. 

On 15/12/2022 at 15:12, Lord BJ said:

Just finished watching the patient. (Disney)

A serial killer basically kidnaps his therapist, to try and cure him. It was decent, albeit probably 3 episodes too much. 

Steve Carrol who plays the therapist is very good. Not usually his biggest fan. 

I’d second that . Very good . 

Spoiler

Shocker of an ending 

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

@JudyJudyJudy agree ref ending. It had me fooled for a little bit at end. 

Spoiler

i think there will be a second season but unsure how it will proceed.  I think he will kidnap another therapist? It was rather a brave ending actually. 

13 hours ago, Tazio said:

Ended up binge watching The Bear. Superb. 

Quality. Helps that the episodes are 30mins. Much easier to find time to watch.

The guy that plays Carmine reminds me so much of a young Gene Wilder. 

Dick Dastardly
On 14/12/2022 at 16:13, ri Alban said:

Is this a sin city rip off? That's the vibe I get.

As in the film Sin City? Nope. Its a mafia series. Its enjoyable but seems quite formulaic so far. 

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

As in the film Sin City? Nope. Its a mafia series. Its enjoyable but seems quite formulaic so far. 

👍

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Just finished the first episode of Shantaram. Seems pretty good so far, apart from Charlie Hunnams dodgy accent

I'll need to check this out. I enjoyed the book several years ago.

Dick Dastardly
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'll need to check this out. I enjoyed the book several years ago.

I got the book as a present years ago but haven't read it. I should maybe read it first before i watch any more! 

Watched The Peripheral on Amazon Prime. It's a pretty good, well made and entertaining sci-fi series starring Chloe Grace Moritz, which got confusing as **** in the last episode (as time travel-ish stories often tend to). So much so, that I had to look up an explanation about what happened in the finale afterwards.

Apologies (As i do on this forum) watched Slow Horses on Apple TV thought it was excellent, Gary Oldman is simply majestic. 2nd series beckons but only after Christmas day. 

Just watching the Mortimer And Whitehouse: Gone Fishing Christmas special. Quality as ever. And there’s still The Detectorists Christmas special at some point. TV gold. 

On 24/12/2022 at 18:58, rudi must stay said:

Welcome To Wrexham 

I'm watching this the now. It's a good watch.

Witcher Blood Origins. Another disappointing origin series. Apparently it was planned as a longer season but they only found enough good material to make it 4 episodes long. 

“ The white lotus “ 

On episode 5 now season 1 . I’m fairly zipping trough it , as it’s outstanding . 

It’s a comedy / drama with a dark undercurrent to it . 

Great cast , headed by Connie Britton , Steve Zahn , Jennifer Coolidge et al. It’s won a heap of awards . I can see why . 

It’s got lots of  themes running though it ,about todays society .

The Recruit on Netflix. Similar to Jack Ryan on Amazon in that it's the story of a young CIA recruit, but it's in a lot lighter vein. The comedic elements don't get in the way of a decent, action packed storyline though, and the action and story itself isn't toned down just because it's a more light-hearted script. 

Edited by PortyJambo

On 29/12/2022 at 15:22, rudi must stay said:

Keeping Up Appearances 

i cant stand that show. Dunno why she just annoys me. 

On 10/12/2022 at 23:43, Tazio said:

Just watched the first 2, great stuff