Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

On 05/10/2022 at 09:09, Seaside Dave said:

Watched the Jeff Dahmer series in 2 days then dead up about it afterwards to see what they missed and what they added in. Dad was teaching him how to carefully cut up roadkill to look at all organ parts at like aged 6. Ma took off for weeks anytime she read a UFO appeared in the sky. Lad stood no chance in life. Still no excuse for things he did. Maybe order his dad's book see what he says. 

I could be wrong but I thought the series suggested he didn't go down the insanity line -which would  have avoided prison  - when in reality his defence did.

Police inaction almost, I say almost, as hideous as his crimes.

First victim's mother in court: 'Police were surprised he could remember so much about the first. He told them 'you  never forget your first.'  I thought that was a great contribution by the bereaved. Cut through the crap.

Edited by Riccarton3

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched the first 3 episodes of A Friend of the Family,  a drama based on the Jan Broberg story (Abducted in plain sight).

It's still absolutely bizarre but she and her mother are consultants on it so I'm expecting a fair amount of revisionism. 

Finished episode 3 of The Walk-In last night - it got crap, bad dialogue and even worse acting.  60% of the way through - wondering whether its worth the rest.

6 hours ago, briever said:

Finished episode 3 of The Walk-In last night - it got crap, bad dialogue and even worse acting.  60% of the way through - wondering whether its worth the rest.

Thought it was quite engrossing myself.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Thought it was quite engrossing myself.

The guy playing the Walk-In is terrible, like he walked into casting off the street.

1 hour ago, briever said:

The guy playing the Walk-In is terrible, like he walked into casting off the street.

I enjoyed it.

Star Wars: Andor continues to impress.

Made by adults, for adults.

You can see why Disney are trying hard to keep it low-key.
They hate that the show runner successfully fought for complete creative control and they hate that it's been so well received by fans.
Disney have starved this show of advertising; many people don't even know exists.
Disney are childish in the extreme.

" Dahmer" 

I can't say i " enjoyed " it but it was well made and engrossing.  The acting was superb by all the cast Evan Peters, Richard Jenkins, Molly Ringwald and Mrs Walton* Michael Learned.  Also, by the numerous actors playing the victims. 

The standout episode for me was about Tony Hughes (the deaf  lad). It really illustrated his life and his issues regarding racism and homophobia and also being unable to speak or hear too.  He really had it tough, and then had the bad luck to meet Dahmer. It was noted he came from a loving and caring family, which most of the victims came from I would assume. 

The police ineptitude and nonchalance, underpinned by racism and homophobia regarding the repeated calls to them regarding Dahmer were shameful. Hard to believe that no one has been hauled up for this. 

Below is a good article with an interview with Tony Hughes mother. She is angry the series was made at all. I am not so sure , but then again it wasnt my son who was murdered.  

Mother of Dahmer victim condemns Netflix series: ‘I don’t see how they can do that’ | US news | The Guardian

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Jambo_jim2001
17 hours ago, Cade said:

They hate that the show runner successfully fought for complete creative control and they hate that it's been so well received by fans.
Disney have starved this show of advertising; many people don't even know exists.

Too right!! They are a total Mickey mouse outfit😉

4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

" Dahmer" 

I can't say i " enjoyed " it but it was well made and engrossing.  The acting was superb by all the cast Evan Peters, Richard Jenkins, Molly Ringwald and Mrs Walton* Michael Learned.  Also, by the numerous actors playing the victims. 

The standout episode for me was about Tony Hughes (the deaf  lad). It really illustrated his life and his issues regarding racism and homophobia and also being unable to speak or hear too.  He really had it tough, and then had the bad luck to meet Dahmer. It was noted he came from a loving and caring family, which most of the victims came from I would assume. 

The police ineptitude and nonchalance, underpinned by racism and homophobia regarding the repeated calls to them regarding Dahmer were shameful. Hard to believe that no one has been hauled up for this. 

Below is a good article with an interview with Tony Hughes mother. She is angry the series was made at all. I am not so sure , but then again it wasnt my son who was murdered.  

Mother of Dahmer victim condemns Netflix series: ‘I don’t see how they can do that’ | US news | The Guardian

The proposal to auction of the apartments contents was extraordinary - so utterly ridiculous/crass, you feel it could only have been intentional to provoke a reaction of someone buying it all up (proceeds to families) and sticking it in the landfill where it belonged! Well done that man.

Watch the Bundy Tapes on Netflix for more barely credible police security issues - multiple escapes from custody.

For some reason, I like seeing the cities back in the 70s, the clothes and old technology. Just an age thing I think.

Edited by Riccarton3

5 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

The proposal to auction of the apartments contents was extraordinary - so utterly ridiculous/crass, you feel it could only have been intentional to provoke a reaction of someone buying it all up (proceeds to families) and sticking it in the landfill where it belonged! Well done that man.

Yes, that was one positive in the awful story.  There are some good people in the world. 

6 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Watch the Bundy Tapes on Netflix for more barely credible police security issues - multiple escapes from custody.

For some reason, I like seeing the cities back in the 70s, the clothes and old technology. Just an age thing I think.

I have already seen the Bundy tapes.  Yes both killers murdered gay men and the police responded in exactly the same way to both .  It also seems to happen with the murders of prostitutes too. 

5 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I have already seen the Bundy tapes.  Yes both killers murdered gay men and the police responded in exactly the same way to both .  It also seems to happen with the murders of prostitutes too. 

Hmm, Bundy killed  young females, many students. Gacy, on the other hand, murdered young men. Might be him you are thinking of as Netflix has Gacy Tapes doc, too.

Police more engaged in the Bundy cases given the victim profiles.

25 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Hmm, Bundy killed  young females, many students. Gacy, on the other hand, murdered young men. Might be him you are thinking of as Netflix has Gacy Tapes doc, too.

Police more engaged in the Bundy cases given the victim profiles.

yes got my serial killers mixed up there. Not like me as Ive read a lot on them.  Yes Gacy and Dahmer had a similar Modis operand. 

19 hours ago, Cade said:

Everything about it is is so much better than Obi Wan was.The production levels just seem so far ahead  of Obi Wan for a start.No idea why they are not supporting it if that's true.I think they really need to realise that Star Wars has an adult audience and they could make a great universe out of it.It does not need to be one of the other kids and merchandise ( what they want ) still has its place.

The Book of Boba Fett was as confused mess, and indeed dropped the Boba Fett storyline for becoming The Mandalorian Season 2.5 about halfway through.

Obi Wan Kenobi was just laughably bad. Awful casting, bad writing, terrible dialogue, laughable scenes (scooby doo escape with Leia under the trenchcoat, anyone?) and a sense that nobody knew what they were doing on that show.

Andor shows that even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day and that there are perhaps still some competent people at Disney.

Time will tell what the next batch of live action Star Wars TV shows will offer up.

Having said that, Skeleton Crew sounds feckin dire already.

Edited by Cade

On 22/07/2022 at 22:08, adambraejambo said:

Brassic on Sky. Just watched it by chance last week. Hooked now .

Finally watched one after a recommendation and seeing your post above.

Brilliant!!

On series 4 where they steal an expensive Rose.

The flash bang bit has had me in pieces!!

On 09/10/2022 at 22:14, Cade said:

Great episode 6! 👍

I watched “ Maxine “ on channel 5 about Maxine Carr and Ian Huntley . Striking parallels between them and Brady and Hindley as both women were in a dominant , controlling relationship with the guy I believe . Not that they were at all innocent of anything , they were very culpable . The drama was relatively good and both actors playing Carr and Huntley excellent . Bizarrely the actor playing Ian is methadone Mick from  “ Still game “ 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Aftershock: Everest and the Nepal Earthquake.

3-part Netflix documentary about the 2015 earthquake that killed thousands of people.

The Israeli tourists :facepalm:

On 13/10/2022 at 18:09, Ray Gin said:

Aftershock: Everest and the Nepal Earthquake.

3-part Netflix documentary about the 2015 earthquake that killed thousands of people.

The Israeli tourists :facepalm:

Was it any good and worth watching ? Was thinking about watching it

31 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Yeah decent, worth watching. Some pretty horrifying footage.

Can't imagine a worse place to be stuck when an earthquake hits.

Carl Fredrickson
23 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

I found it compulsive but harrowing viewing. 

1 hour ago, briever said:

Bad Sisters had a deeply satisfying ending - probably 2 episodes too long - but it was excellent.

Its on my watch list.  

Malinga the Swinga

Completed binge of Stranger Things. I thought it was funny in bits, dramatic in bits and overall one of best series on TV I've seen for an age.

Youngsters in it are fantastic and I have always had thing for Winona Ryder, so good to see her back in big series.

3 hours ago, jambopilms said:

The watcher Netflix.

Family buy a big house and get harassed by neighbours/ weirdos or ghosts

Really enjoyed it until the end

No joke me and the wife talked about watching this midweek Tues n wed as im away to London Thursday for arsenal psv. I worked Saturday night last week nightshift woke up tea time Sunday and see had all 7 watched Sunday morning. Scandalous behaviour 

15 hours ago, jambopilms said:

The watcher Netflix.

Family buy a big house and get harassed by neighbours/ weirdos or ghosts

Really enjoyed it until the end

Seen everyone talking about this but the trailer didn’t look great to me 

Might give it a try but think I will regret it 

On 17/10/2022 at 17:57, Jamhammer said:

Started watching The Offer on Paramount +

As a Godfather obsessive I’m enjoying 

Best series I’ve watched in ages. 

Delighted to see S4 of Babylon Berlin now available on Sky/Now TV.

One of the best ever European imports - watch it in original german with subtitles.

Speaking of German imports, Deutschland '83 was a great series following a young East German lad that becomes involved in the spying and espionage games at the fag end of the Cold War. 

It got two further series, Deutschland '86 and Deutschland '89.
All three series were brilliant.

Grand Designs this week re-visited the site of one of the worst failures of the entire 22-series run of the show.

Ex-record producer demolished his lovely, large 5-bedroom family home on the edge of the sea and was hoping to build a gigantic lighthouse-style thing in its place as the new family home. 

The usual Grand Designs stuff happened; delays, cost over-runs, arguments with the architect, problems finding materials, you know the sort of thing.

But this project took it to extremes.

Bloke couldn't get any more loans from banks so he took out eye-wateringly high interest loans from hedge funds instead.

Then halfway through, realised he couldn't pay them back so used some of the budget to build a smaller holiday home on the site that he could sell at a profit to cover some debts.

But due to the big house being a building site, planners wouldn't let him sell the wee house as nobody was allowed to live there long term.
So that ended up only being rented out during holiday season.
Kids by this time had grown up and left home.
Marriage had broken down and the wife was also gone.
So it was just one bloke left with nothing but a small holiday rental home and a gigantic, half-built concrete shell with no windows or doors in it.

And massive, massive debts.

Eleven years since the project began, it's still not finished now, cost the bloke another £200,000 just to repair the damage that the weather had done to the half-built structure and he's being forced to sell both properties by his financial providers.
They want paying back and they want it now.

Original planned cost was £1.8 million.
Eventual total cost (to date) is £6 million. And counting.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs/on-demand/70447-009

6 hours ago, Cade said:

Grand Designs this week re-visited the site of one of the worst failures of the entire 22-series run of the show.

Ex-record producer demolished his lovely, large 5-bedroom family home on the edge of the sea and was hoping to build a gigantic lighthouse-style thing in its place as the new family home. 

The usual Grand Designs stuff happened; delays, cost over-runs, arguments with the architect, problems finding materials, you know the sort of thing.

But this project took it to extremes.

Bloke couldn't get any more loans from banks so he took out eye-wateringly high interest loans from hedge funds instead.

Then halfway through, realised he couldn't pay them back so used some of the budget to build a smaller holiday home on the site that he could sell at a profit to cover some debts.

But due to the big house being a building site, planners wouldn't let him sell the wee house as nobody was allowed to live there long term.
So that ended up only being rented out during holiday season.
Kids by this time had grown up and left home.
Marriage had broken down and the wife was also gone.
So it was just one bloke left with nothing but a small holiday rental home and a gigantic, half-built concrete shell with no windows or doors in it.

And massive, massive debts.

Eleven years since the project began, it's still not finished now, cost the bloke another £200,000 just to repair the damage that the weather had done to the half-built structure and he's being forced to sell both properties by his financial providers.
They want paying back and they want it now.

Original planned cost was £1.8 million.
Eventual total cost (to date) is £6 million. And counting.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs/on-demand/70447-009

Used to watch GD all the time. The Edinburgh couple building their own home was good. Seeing Slate work and lead work for once, was a treat. :D

Grand Designs episodes tend to fall into three broad categories;

1) A genuinely interesting building built by decent people.

2) An overly ambitious project built by an insufferable wank with too much money, which ends in huge cost over-runs and you can tell that they hate the final product (and each other) by the end of it.

3) A boring glass and steel box built by some overpaid London types.

Unfortunately, category 3 seems to be the vast majority of them.

Jambo_jim2001

The peripheral... If the rest off the series is as good as the first episode,gonna be a good sci fi yarn🤔 on Amazon prime..

On 09/10/2022 at 22:14, Cade said:

Not watched it yet... was too afraid they would Disney-fy it like almost everything else they've butchered Star Wars-wise. 

You're absolutely spot on BTW, Disney (or Kathleen Kennedy to be exact) hate the fans. The Madalorian was good as it was made by Filloni and Faverou - Obi-Wan, however, has her finger prints all over it (again) unfortunately.

But I'll give ANDOR a try, if it's as good as you say it is 👍

On 14/10/2022 at 20:33, William H. Bonney said:

The Bear is excellent. 

A friend at work recommended this, i asked whats it about and they said just give it a go.

I'm glad I did, Loved it and hope there is a second season.

On 24/10/2022 at 01:22, Jambo_jim2001 said:

The peripheral... If the rest off the series is as good as the first episode,gonna be a good sci fi yarn🤔 on Amazon prime..

If you loved the first episode the second was even better.

I have high hopes for this.

William H. Bonney
36 minutes ago, thee jambo said:

A friend at work recommended this, i asked whats it about and they said just give it a go.

I'm glad I did, Loved it and hope there is a second season.

Indeed. Superb acting. 

Jambo_jim2001
3 hours ago, thee jambo said:

If you loved the first episode the second was even better.

I have high hopes for this.

😎😎😎 Saving it for when this mad house calms Doon a bit,grandkids and over excited gsd pup🥺🥺🤣