2014 Formula 1 Season Thread

Prince Buaben

Turns out the Lotus tusks may be the real thing!

Craig Scarborough ?@ScarbsF1 53m

OK I understand the Lotus nose now.....

Craig Scarborough ?@ScarbsF1 51m

The two tusks are unequal lengths, longer one forms the 9000mm2 tip, the other is also a crash strcuture, both act as Y250 flow conditioners

Craig Scarborough ?@ScarbsF1 46m

@MojoBajojo it doesnt have to be in the middle, thats not in the rules

@carlosgomez_48 No the shorter tusk needs to mount the front wing an can't be as flimsy as a vanity panel

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The front prongs aren't even the same length. Probably just trying to overshadow mclaren's lauch after they nabbed bouiller

Scarbs seems to think it is the real thing. Have a look at his Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1

The front prongs aren't even the same length. Probably just trying to overshadow mclaren's lauch after they nabbed bouiller

They can't be the same length because it'd break the rules, though both being the same length would be ideal.

I would've thought the lack of symmetry would cause aerodynamics imbalance between the left and right sides of the car, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out in the tests.

Going to sound very strange next Wednesday when the first test starts.

A couple of teams have been running their cars already including McLaren.

A couple of teams have been running their cars already including McLaren.

Yeah but we havent seen it or heard the cars running yet.

Prince Buaben

Paul di Resta back in the DTM with Mercedes.

Should he maybe have gone down the testing route with one of the big guns in F1?

Could still do the Job with Mercedes. DTM doesnt co-inside with F1 season to often

kingantti1874

Could still do the Job with Mercedes. DTM doesnt co-inside with F1 season to often

I don't think we will see Di resta back in f1

I don't think we will see Di resta back in f1

His lack of funding would back up your statement.

His talent wouldn't.

Time will tell.

The Mighty Thor

So it's double points, bulbous noses this year then? :lol:

Any news on a technological leap that allows one car to pass another during the race? It used to be called 'overtaking' in the old days when races weren't won in the pit lane.

After an excellent season in MotoGP, one where they finally stopped pishing about with the rules, engine sizes and technology and let the riders race each other, you have to wonder when F1 will finally tumble to the fact that their product is going backwards despite SKY ringing the arse out of it by trying to tell everyone it's exciting. It's not.

Still, at least F1 is still by far the best procession in world motorsport

kingantti1874

So it's double points, bulbous noses this year then? :lol:

Any news on a technological leap that allows one car to pass another during the race? It used to be called 'overtaking' in the old days when races weren't won in the pit lane.

After an excellent season in MotoGP, one where they finally stopped pishing about with the rules, engine sizes and technology and let the riders race each other, you have to wonder when F1 will finally tumble to the fact that their product is going backwards despite SKY ringing the arse out of it by trying to tell everyone it's exciting. It's not.

Still, at least F1 is still by far the best procession in world motorsport

I think that technological leap came a few years ago with DRS.

This season will be interesting with DRS no longer being activated by the driver. All down to the ECU and when the driver accelerates, or something along those lines.

The Mighty Thor

It hasn't improved the racing at all then, DRS zones and restrictions on when you can use it etc. Waste of time.

kingantti1874

It hasn't improved the racing at all then, DRS zones and restrictions on when you can use it etc. Waste of time.

Yet the number of overtakes has never been higher. Sorry mate diagree.. Btw I'm not a fan of DRS but there is no fundamental problem with overtaking, the problem last season you had one car + driver combination who were better than the rest by a measurable margin.. Further down the field there was lots of action.

The Mighty Thor

Yet the number of overtakes has never been higher. Sorry mate diagree.. Btw I'm not a fan of DRS but there is no fundamental problem with overtaking, the problem last season you had one car + driver combination who were better than the rest by a measurable margin.. Further down the field there was lots of action.

You've still got a major problem with overtaking in so much that any overtaking is now fundamentally driven by the opening of a wing on the car in one or two sections of the track and only if you're up the other boy's gearbox. Where's the driver skill in that? It's manufactured racing, where the majority of races are won the pitting tactics of the team's racing director and by the team's pit crew.

When did you last see two drivers going hammer and tongs over the last 4 or 5 laps for a race?

kingantti1874

You've still got a major problem with overtaking in so much that any overtaking is now fundamentally driven by the opening of a wing on the car in one or two sections of the track and only if you're up the other boy's gearbox. Where's the driver skill in that? It's manufactured racing, where the majority of races are won the pitting tactics of the team's racing director and by the team's pit crew.

When did you last see two drivers going hammer and tongs over the last 4 or 5 laps for a race?

Well the problem is the cars produce too much down and wake which just allow a car to follow, whilst I'm unsure of DRS o get the rationale.. Agree about the hammer and tongs comment, recently I think that's been down to Pirelli

Front wing failure... Btw, that Mercedes is the best looking f1 car I've seen for years... Putting the ****** nose cars to shame... The cars also sound amazing

The Merc does look nice, I think the Red Bull looks nice as well, best 2 cars for looks.

Front wing failure is not a good thing if it was structural.

I am with you with the sounds, awesome! Far better than I expected.

kingantti1874

Seems like mclaren have found a major hole in the regs with that rear suspension, if it works could be a golden bullet which looks extremely difficult to copy.. The merc looks great as does the Ferrari IMO and the Renault power unit looks very unreliable... Good news all round then.. Long may it Continue

Seems like mclaren have found a major hole in the regs with that rear suspension, if it works could be a golden bullet which looks extremely difficult to copy.. The merc looks great as does the Ferrari IMO and the Renault power unit looks very unreliable... Good news all round then.. Long may it Continue

Was just reading about their suspension. Very clever, hope it pays off. Nicest car in my opinion now that I have seen them. Renault need to get their finger out, early day though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Schumacher is starting the process to be woken up by doctors

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25963926

Also Red Bull are apparently in trouble. Rumours going about that their back end of the car is to tightly compact for the new engines and they have suffered repeated problems. Vettel only managed 11 laps in 2 days and Ricciardo has only done 3 laps today to make 14 laps in total.

Compare that with Lewis Hamilton who completed 62 laps today.

Schumacher is starting the process to be woken up by doctors

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-25963926

Also Red Bull are apparently in trouble. Rumours going about that their back end of the car is to tightly compact for the new engines and they have suffered repeated problems. Vettel only managed 11 laps in 2 days and Ricciardo has only done 3 laps today to make 14 laps in total.

Compare that with Lewis Hamilton who completed 62 laps today.

Think the problem is the Renault engines.

Mercedes engines are the engine to be on.

All can change quickly though.

kingantti1874

Rumours are, Adrian Newey has headed back to the factory to work on a redesign. Admittedly there does appear to be issues on Renaults side aswell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25964070

Issues and to quote, if you run the engine at more than 75% it will break, and each engine is only good for 250km before its bust... + red pull have packaged it too tightly... Excellent stuff :rofl:

This is the Williams that was on the cover of F1 Racing Magazine.

williams-fw36-2014-2-886x625.jpg

They are going to run the car with martini colours

How does it work in regards to who gets what number? Say 5 drivers apply for number 1?

Seems that the champion is 1-5.

Seems that the champion is 1-5.

Number 1 is reserved for the current champion, nobody can pick that as their number.

The rest of the disputes are resolved in order of where they finished in the previous season.

Anyone new to the sport in the future will have to pick from the available numbers, I'm guessing any clashes then will be resolved in the order in which their constructors finished in the previous season.

Archived