The Ashes

Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer

Starts next week and thank feck there's no early morning guff.

TMS is the shit you should listen to it..

(You don't care? Of course you care, why else would you comment?)

Australia have no chance.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maroon Sailor

I went over for The Ashes in 06/07 (5-0) whitewash.

Possibly the greatest ever Australian team.

Hard (almost impossible) to replace the likes of Ponting, Warne and McGrath

ToadKiller Dog

With Darren Lehmann in charge the Aussies will be more disciplined than recent times and harder to beat .

England are stronger in all areas though .

Think it will be closer than expected 3-0 England with two drawn if the weather holds fine .

Can't see where the Aussies might sneak a win . All grounds chosen suit England .

The_razors_edge

Canny wait!! I'll do a Glenn McGrath and predict 5-0 England. Australia are crap........cook will score runs for fun and jimmy Anderson will destroy the timbers with ease.

Harry Palmer

England warming up and their top order batting didn't do too well against Essex. Pietersen made 49 though.

It won't have any influence at all on the Ashes.

TMS and Geoff Boycott is the dugs. :)

So aye, it's not this week but the week after 10th July... :facepalm:

Excitement and shite.

Rudi Skacel

Dont understand how a match can go on for 5 days and possibly end a draw, anyway I see Sky Sports 2 has been renamed Sky Sports Ashes....

shaun.lawson

3-1 England, after a closer fought series than expected. :sorcerer:

2-1 Australia when they meet again at the turn of the year though. :(

Harry Palmer

3-1 England, after a closer fought series than expected. :sorcerer:

2-1 Australia when they meet again at the turn of the year though. :(

England won't lose either series then. :stuart:

Always a bit of a puzzler as to why they have these double Ashes years, at least try and make it something special and space them out a bit. After all, it's the only thing that anyone gives a shite about..

As for the whole drawing thing, it's not that strange at all.

shaun.lawson

England won't lose either series then. :stuart:

Always a bit of a puzzler as to why they have these double Ashes years, at least try and make it something special and space them out a bit. After all, it's the only thing that anyone gives a shite about..

As for the whole drawing thing, it's not that strange at all.

There haven't been back to back series since 1974/5. The reason they're doing it now is, correctly, to stop the nonsense of an England tour of Australia always immediately preceding the World Cup.

Harry Palmer

That's me telt...

I'll moan anyway.... your predictions are pish. :)

shaun.lawson

That's me telt...

I'll moan anyway.... your predictions are pish. :)

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/51506-ashes-summer-awesome/

A tight, attritional, weather-affected series between two mid-table sides who are both unknown quantities to some degree seems likely. A lot of people seem to favour 1-1; I shall plump for 2-1 to England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Ashes_series

:whistling:

shaun.lawson

So we need to endure this in the summer and in the winter aswell?

Yes we do.

:pleasing:

Not long to go now.

Good to see Pieterson looking like he is in nick against Essex yesterday.

I think that the big worry will be the 2 new batsmen though. Bairstow does not look a Test player to me. And I suspect that new hero Joe Root will get found out. Going brilliantly at the moment because he has his eye in. But he plays 'all arms' and when not timing it quite right I think there is a chance his game will fall apart. Hope not though.

Really looking forward to this. I'd guess England will win by 2 or 3 this summer, with a close series in the winter (with England to at least retain the urn)

Anyone else going down to Durham for (i think) the 3rd Test. Should be class, I know Durham have had a few Tests, but was surprised when they got an Ashes Test

Anybody know all the different ways to get TMS? I'll be at day 2 of the Ol' Trafford test and just wonder if I need to acquire a wireless or would phone/iPod be adequate?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Anybody know all the different ways to get TMS? I'll be at day 2 of the Ol' Trafford test and just wonder if I need to acquire a wireless or would phone/iPod be adequate?

If you have an up to date phone it'll be streamed on iPlayer.

Cheers - I'll give that a try before the day itself. Think my phone should be up to it.

I can see it being a lot tighter than people think, With 5 day test you really need your opening batsmen to get you off to a solid start and with it looking like Root and Cook then the Aussies could take advantage! Cook's form has been patchy and of course he's not exactly a fan of facing left hand seamers of which the Aussies have 2 that they can use to attack him!

I can see it being a lot tighter than people think, With 5 day test you really need your opening batsmen to get you off to a solid start and with it looking like Root and Cook then the Aussies could take advantage! Cook's form has been patchy and of course he's not exactly a fan of facing left hand seamers of which the Aussies have 2 that they can use to attack him!

Interesting, and I ain't saying you're wrong, but I think sometimes players just do well against certain opponents. After his series down under, I'd back Cook to average 50+ this summer.

Will be interesting to find out

Kenny ******* Powers

Really looking forward to this. I'd guess England will win by 2 or 3 this summer, with a close series in the winter (with England to at least retain the urn)

Anyone else going down to Durham for (i think) the 3rd Test. Should be class, I know Durham have had a few Tests, but was surprised when they got an Ashes Test

Think Durham is the fourth test mate. I'm going down for the first day (Friday). Can't wait. Better not rain!!

Think Durham is the fourth test mate. I'm going down for the first day (Friday). Can't wait. Better not rain!!

Yeah, should be good.

Don't know if you're going from Edinburgh but I got a decent deal on the train (think it was about ?30 or so) and they have a bus service that goes straight from the station to the ground and vice versa

Harry Palmer

Bumpity bump bump..less than a week away.

My prediction stands.

Kenny ******* Powers

Yeah, should be good.

Don't know if you're going from Edinburgh but I got a decent deal on the train (think it was about ?30 or so) and they have a bus service that goes straight from the station to the ground and vice versa

Cheers for that mate but one of the boys I'm going with is driving us down.

The derby is the next day so for the first time I'm hoping they move it to the Sunday. If they move it to 12 on the Saturday we could be toiling to make the game.

Can't wait for next week. Got Thursday and Friday off work but couldn't get Wednesday. If I knew how to do one of those seething faces I would have one here. :-(

The_razors_edge

Bumpity bump bump..less than a week away.

My prediction stands.

Agreed. 5-0 England. Send the convicts home with their tail fixed firmly between their legs.

The decision to drop Compton in favour of Bairstow looks odd - particularly as Compton has been greatly outscoring Bairstow recently.

I know absolutely sweet fa about cricket but I'd love to go to watch it. My mate at work has a ticket for one of the days at the Oval and it's something like ?200 a brief.

:trippin:

Maroon Sailor

Can't beat an Ashes series. Been hooked on them since the 81 series and that unbelievable match at Headingley.

Hope we see some drama in this series.

All starts tomorrow, weather is going to be scorchio and Trent Bridge will be heaving and bouncing by mid afternoon as the booze takes affect !

Geoff Kilpatrick

FAO Shaun: Ashes are being streamed in South America on YouTube.

Harry Palmer

The England cricket team to keep the winning/feelgood factor going for British sport. :)

To be a bit cooler tomorrow according to the weather.

Can't beat TMS on the radio, especially for the Ashes.

All the talk here in NZ and in OZ I believe, is that the Aussies don't know how to use the kookaburra ball and don't know how to play against it.

Predictions are that Anderson will take wickets with swing, Broad will batter them into submission and Swan will be too clever for them.

Let's see how all that pans out.

4-0 to England for me.

Aussies having a go at root right from the start, trying to take advantage of his tendency to hang back by bowling at him full!

If England can get to lunch today at around 90/3 then they should go on to win!

Geoff Kilpatrick

98-2 at lunch. Australia probably edge it despite bowling shite!

Archived