Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Term “air fryer” is a bit de deceptive tbh……is is actually a mini oven (or two ovens if you have a double one).  So, anything you can cook in an oven you can cook in an air fryer (mini oven).  I don’t use my main oven any more just the double air fryer so, its out on the kitchen worktop 24/7.  It’s a great piece of kit as it gets up to temperature very quickly and cooks the food evenly.  The double one has a “match cook” (both compartments at the same temperature for the same amount of time) and, a “smart finish” function which allows both ovens to work independently but finish at the same time I.e. pie takes 20 minutes to cook and chips take 15 minutes to cook, one oven will come on 5 minutes after the other has started so they both finish same time.  Most importantly, it’s about 50% cheaper to run than a conventional oven.  But “air fryer” dunno how it got that tag 🤷‍♂️

Marketting gimmick, imo. Its exactly as you describe.   Do you ever sprinkle a few drops of cooking oil to  the sausages/bacon you cook for your guests ? Or do you just cook them "dry" ?

I don't think my better half has ever added any oil to frozen fries or hash browns in our airfryer.   They come out fine, so long as you bring them out before they over-crisp !!

47 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i assume they are known as air fryers as IIRC when they first came onto the market they were aimed as a replacement for deep fat fryers. i use mine most days and about the only thing i cook in my oven is pizza

You could be right. Interested to see what HJ3 above says about his brekkie prep.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

highlandjambo3
14 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Marketting gimmick, imo. Its exactly as you describe.   Do you ever sprinkle a few drops of cooking oil to  the sausages/bacon you cook for your guests ? Or do you just cook them "dry" ?

I don't think my better half has ever added any oil to frozen fries or hash browns in our airfryer.   They come out fine, so long as you bring them out before they over-crisp !!

You could be right. Interested to see what HJ3 above says about his brekkie prep.

No…don’t use any oil.  Bacon/sausage cooked as normal then wrapped in a foil parcel after they have been cooked to maintain moisture, black pudding, haggis and potato scone all wrapped up in a foil parcel prior to cooking to keep them moist (other wise they end up welded😂),potato scone with a little butter both sides before wrapping in foil prior to cooking.  I have a little silicone oven proof bowl which holds small tomatoes.   Once everything is cooked set the air fryer to keep warm and bung a little hot water in to maintain moisture………beans, mushrooms & egg all done on the normal cooker.  From guests arriving in the dining room to being served a piping hot fresh breakfast is about 3-4 minutes………our breakfast is graded 9.9 on booking.com and that’s with almost 600 reviews.

Edited by highlandjambo3

Lone Striker

What is the legal/economic significance of a "debt ceiling" - mentioned recently in the news because the U.S. was about to break through theirs if  Congress hadn't approved a set of conditions to allow an overall increase ?     Its currently 31 TRILLION dollars. 

?The UK national debt is now 2.6 TRILLION pounds.   Equivalent to 100% of the whole UK economy .

Surely neither the UK nor the U.S. are  ever going to pay all of that off...  or even pay just a few trillion of it off ?    Why do Biden and Sunak not seem bothered by this ?    

Lone Striker
16 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

When we don't see the sun does it still exist

Yes - where do you think daylight comes from, even when there's a 100% cloud ceiling ? 😏 

Although technically speaking, we can only prove that it existed 8 minutes ago.   😎

Lone Striker
11 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

No…don’t use any oil.  Bacon/sausage cooked as normal then wrapped in a foil parcel after they have been cooked to maintain moisture, black pudding, haggis and potato scone all wrapped up in a foil parcel prior to cooking to keep them moist (other wise they end up welded😂),potato scone with a little butter both sides before wrapping in foil prior to cooking.  I have a little silicone oven proof bowl which holds small tomatoes.   Once everything is cooked set the air fryer to keep warm and bung a little hot water in to maintain moisture………beans, mushrooms & egg all done on the normal cooker.  From guests arriving in the dining room to being served a piping hot fresh breakfast is about 3-4 minutes………our breakfast is graded 9.9 on booking.com and that’s with almost 600 reviews.

.... and rightly so. 👍  The fastest brekkie in the Heilan's  😀

highlandjambo3
8 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

.... and rightly so. 👍  The fastest brekkie in the Heilan's  😀

Here’s the cheeky fellow:

IMG_5332.jpeg

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Why are American trucks so different to UK/European trucks.

Screenshot_20230628_174825_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Its  so that they look menacing enough for Spielberg to make a  thriller about one. 😀

th?id=OIP.hwx2FBzfNDJ7j73lzNPX9gHaEi&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

th?id=OIP.sUUopIS2tyXJhuKGLu0jzgHaEB&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Two reasons really, well one and another linked.... first the roads are generally longer, straighter and wider. Therefore they can accommodate the extra length. Because the country is so big, the journeys truckers make tend to be longer multi stage affairs. Therefore they live in the truck a lot more than UK truck drivers. Because the trucks are bigger they have more living space. So it's to do with the roads and the type of driving they do really, which has caused their trucks to evolve like that. They do have models that look like the ones on our roads, and they call them a 'cabover'. They would generally have a bigger accommodation area/unit behind the driving compartment though.

image.png.eb8fdab4b44895ef55dca116375b01d6.png

Edited by Daktari

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

What about the Aussie ones? 

hqdefault.jpg

34 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

hqdefault.jpg

Be was doing OK in his test, but struggled with reversing round a corner.

Dick Dastardly
3 minutes ago, superjack said:

Be was doing OK in his test, but struggled with reversing round a corner.

I wouldn't fancy trying a 3 point turn either

henrysmithsgloves
1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I wouldn't fancy trying a 3 point turn either

Or doing a walk around, checking tyre ,lights etc.

Dick Dastardly
4 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Or doing a walk around, checking tyre ,lights etc.

😂 😂 Fair point. 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

hqdefault.jpg

Seen a video of what I assumed was Chinese. The guy decided to do a u turn, wiping out about 20 motors.

It was about 10 arctic trucks.

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Because in Europe there are more train and ferry connections, so you want your cabs to be shorter so you can fit more trucks in your trains and ferries.

And in Europe there is a higher density of urban environments so shorter prime movers have a tighter turning circle and are more manoeuvrable.

And EU regulations limit the length of the cab too.

henrysmithsgloves
3 hours ago, Cade said:

Because in Europe there are more train and ferry connections, so you want your cabs to be shorter so you can fit more trucks in your trains and ferries.

And in Europe there is a higher density of urban environments so shorter prime movers have a tighter turning circle and are more manoeuvrable.

And EU regulations limit the length of the cab too.

Could it really be this?

th-1485545856.jpg

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

What happened to the wonderful pop group Evanescence

I liked one of their songs and then i found out they were bible rockers and it kinda put me off

10 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

What happened to the wonderful pop group Evanescence

Played download a few weeks ago and toured the UK last year, including a date at the hydro in Glasgow 

This is something I’ve have been trying to find out - to no avail.

A while ago on the radio I heard a discussion about (I think) a radio play that had been on the BBC.  It was a sort of sci-fi/ ghost / horror thing and the premise was Edwardian / Victorian folklorists were investigating ancient legends of noises - crashes and screams - from nearby woods.  They drew a blank re the provenance of the legend.  It’s later revealed decades after this a motorway was built through the woods and there was a huge crash - and this is what the medieval people were ‘hearing’.  I’ve tried searching for the name without success.

I think it’s a pretty good plot idea (for those who like that sort of thing!)

Edited by FWJ

8 minutes ago, FWJ said:

A while ago on the radio I heard a discussion about (I think) a radio play that had been on the BBC.  It was a sort of sci-fi/ ghost / horror thing and the premise was Edwardian / Victorian folklorists were investigating ancient legends of noises - crashes and screams - from nearby woods.  They drew a blank re the provenance of the legend.  It’s later revealed decades after this a motorway was built through the woods and there was a huge crash - and this is what the medieval people were ‘hearing’.  I’ve tried searching for the name without success.

isn't that pretty much the plot to the film the village?

edit after a google it looks like voices in the valley is what you heard on the radio

Edited by milky_26

11 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

isn't that pretty much the plot to the film the village?

edit after a google it looks like voices in the valley is what you heard on the radio

Sorry, that’s not it.  (Although it’s a great series too)

henrysmithsgloves
28 minutes ago, FWJ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/oct/31/britishidentity.martinwainwright

Edited by henrysmithsgloves

How has Brookside ended up on STV Player when it was originally broadcast on channel 4? Why isn’t it on 4OD or whatever it’s called these days? 

Unknown user
On 28/06/2023 at 15:14, Locky said:

Anybody ever see they wee red money spiders anymore these days? Not seen them for years. Also, do they make webs? And see they wee black and white jumping spiders you get here, with the zebra pattern? Are they called zebra spiders? And am I right in saying they don't make a web?

And sun beasties, I can't remember the last time my arm was covered in sun beasties

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

And sun beasties, I can't remember the last time my arm was covered in sun beasties

Are you referring to the little black corn lice things(thrips)? If so you're more than welcome to swap living arrangements with me in the next month or so. The little gits will be all over the place soon enough and you'll be happy you've not seen them in a while. Had my window open one day two years ago working away, felt an itch and my arm had a couple. Then I started clocking them on my computer screen. Then I looked at the window and ceiling. It was an invasion. 

Plenty zebra spiders as well.

No seen so many of the wee red money fellas this year though. 

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Are you referring to the little black corn lice things(thrips)? If so you're more than welcome to swap living arrangements with me in the next month or so. The little gits will be all over the place soon enough and you'll be happy you've not seen them in a while. Had my window open one day two years ago working away, felt an itch and my arm had a couple. Then I started clocking them on my computer screen. Then I looked at the window and ceiling. It was an invasion. 

Live and learn, it is thrips I'm talking about, I've only ever known them as sun beasties.

What a thread!

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Live and learn, it is thrips I'm talking about, I've only ever known them as sun beasties.

What a thread!

Well offer remains. Not far from the combines being out and that means those little gits are everywhere. If you wanna swap for a few days and see them over your arm again. And in your monitor. On your phone screen. Launching wave attacks against spider webs. Covering your ceiling or walls. Getting trapped in picture frames and clocks...

Honestly you'll never want to see one again 🤣 

I hate them with a passion. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Well offer remains. Not far from the combines being out and that means those little gits are everywhere. If you wanna swap for a few days and see them over your arm again. And in your monitor. On your phone screen. Launching wave attacks against spider webs. Covering your ceiling or walls. Getting trapped in picture frames and clocks...

Honestly you'll never want to see one again 🤣 

I hate them with a passion. 

Note to self - don't worry about fate of sun beasties

Edited by Smithee

17 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Im ****ing dreading it, they turn my front door black. One got under the front of one of my monitors last year and I flicked it thinking it was on the screen. It died and its corpse stayed stuck there like 3 stuck pixels. 😡

If that wasn’t bad enough when we upgraded our tv this year I found several of them in the screen - what I thought were duff pixels on a fairly old screen -yep, ******* thrips. 

I’ve added additional seals to the door and windows, and have some thrip attractant and stickers to catch them as far away from the screens as possible. But I’ll be on edge during harvest time. 😥

Edited by Gizmo

2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Im ****ing dreading it, they turn my front door black. One got under the front of one of my monitors last year and I flicked it thinking it was on the screen. It died and its corpse stayed stuck there like 3 stuck pixels. 😡

If that wasn’t bad enough when we upgraded our tv this year I found several of them in the screen - what I thought were duff pixels on a fairly old screen -yep, ******* thrips. 

I’ve added additional seals to the door and windows, and have some thrip attractant and stickers to catch them as far away from the screens as possible. But I’ll be on edge during harvest time. 😥

Honestly, folk that haven't experienced these wee pests full force might think we're exaggerating but it's incredible where they get into and their sheer numbers. 

You're finding dead ones for ages after it all as well. 

13 hours ago, Smithee said:

11 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

I used to work up at Riccarton on a building site next to where the Oriam now is. The corn flies were rampant up there. Nippy wee ****s. Literally had thousands of them stuck to my hi-viz on the daily.

On 28/06/2023 at 17:13, highlandjambo3 said:

IMG_5332.jpeg

One egg and one tattie scone :yadayada: 

As for mushrooms :sick: 

highlandjambo3
8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

One egg and one tattie scone :yadayada: 

As for mushrooms :sick: 

That’s a full breakfast.  Of course if you want less of one thing you can ask for more of the other etc……you won’t leave hungry:

IMG_5335.jpeg

IMG_5334.jpeg

Dick Dastardly
On 28/06/2023 at 17:13, highlandjambo3 said:

IMG_5332.jpeg

Looks nice. What's the main course like? 

Why do all animals have the perfect crimp system when doing a dump,

Eliminating the need for toilet paper? Where as, sometimes on a single sit in, i can go through half a bog roll.

43 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

That’s a full breakfast.  Of course if you want less of one thing you can ask for more of the other etc……you won’t leave hungry:

IMG_5335.jpeg

IMG_5334.jpeg

Starving noo.

3 hours ago, Pap said:

Why do all animals have the perfect crimp system when doing a dump,

Eliminating the need for toilet paper? Where as, sometimes on a single sit in, i can go through half a bog roll.

Said animals also lick their arse clean so you'd need to go the full hog for the sake of hygiene. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I’m Scotch and don’t have any trouble saying it. 

Scotch is a whisky not a person.

8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Why can a person be overwhelmed or underwhelmed, but never simply 'whelmed'?

Apprently 'whelmed' was a word, meaning engulfed or submerged, before 'under' and 'over' became attached to it. Shakespear used it. I hope this leaves you feeling gruntled.