Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

On 03/05/2023 at 16:52, jonesy said:

Friends and I had similar issues with the Perthshire area of Breadalbane. Signs for it everywhere, but doesn't seem to actually exist. Any evidence provided by posters will be met with a 'Fake News' retort, so don't even bother trying.

And yes, I know someone who moved to Prestonfield and have been to their house.

Because it's a historic area/region that, although important in its time, doesn't exist in any formal capacity (afaik) and hasn't for a long while, only kept alive in the names of a few remaining locations (shops, schools, geographical features etc) and tourist agencies.

https://www.visitbreadalbane.org/

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lone Striker
15 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Who built the pyramids? 

Thousands of slaves, most likely.  😎

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

Thousands of slaves, most likely.  😎

Well I kinda know the answer but wondered if others had a different knowledge about it. Apparently it wasn’t slaves , but well paid workers , who weee highly skilled . It makes sense 

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Well I kinda know the answer but wondered if others had a different knowledge about it. Apparently it wasn’t slaves , but well paid workers , who weee highly skilled . It makes sense 

It depends what you mean by "built".  The stonemasons and designers would have been skilled & well-paid - but then who dragged thousands of these  enormous shaped stones up and put them in place ?   Its a bit like the lazy journalism which tells us that Thomas Telford "built"  the Dean Bridge.   

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

It depends what you mean by "built".  The stonemasons and designers would have been skilled & well-paid - but then who dragged thousands of these  enormous shaped stones up and put them in place ?   Its a bit like the lazy journalism which tells us that Thomas Telford "built"  the Dean Bridge.   

No i think the actual people on the ground were well paid and looked after too. 

been here before
6 minutes ago, Pap said:

Where the playground ditty, Bum Tit Tit, originated.

The playground?

hughesie27
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Why do mods lock some threads and delete others. 

I understand the delete as things perhaps are said that should not  be and JKB  does want it seen 

However, why don’t all unacceptable threads get that treatment. Sone just get locked. 

What’s the criteria for delete v lock I suppose. 

In no way am I question mods decision 😂 just wondering why the different approach. 

Probably a subjective decision  depending on the mod.

Blatant trolling, spam or threads where some extreme or controversial opinions were view would probably get deleted. Others that just stray well off topic but with nothing particularly offensive or the topic has reached a natural conclusion might just get locked.

Not a serious one, just something I saw Billy Connolly say in one of his his routines. He said some things keep him awake at night, like wondering how does the guy who drives the snow plough get to his work.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Why do mods lock some threads and delete others. 

I understand the delete as things perhaps are said that should not  be and JKB  does want it seen 

However, why don’t all unacceptable threads get that treatment. Sone just get locked. 

What’s the criteria for delete v lock I suppose. 

In no way am I question mods decision 😂 just wondering why the different approach. 

34 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Probably a subjective decision  depending on the mod.

Blatant trolling, spam or threads where some extreme or controversial opinions were view would probably get deleted. Others that just stray well off topic but with nothing particularly offensive or the topic has reached a natural conclusion might just get locked.

I was wondering that yesterday actually. I get the deleted or locked when there's something offensive posted but don't quite get when it's just off topic.

What's the harm in letting it run, or rather the benefit of not letting it run? Folk are here to chat rubbish does it really need a new thread on each individual topic that comes up?

hughesie27
39 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I was wondering that yesterday actually. I get the deleted or locked when there's something offensive posted but don't quite get when it's just off topic.

What's the harm in letting it run, or rather the benefit of not letting it run? Folk are here to chat rubbish does it really need a new thread on each individual topic that comes up?

Aye, could be seen as a bit disrespectful to the OP but also think its probably just an antiquated rule from the early days of the Web.

Just did a case at work which involved dealing with a company based in Portree. Noticed on their address that they had an Inverness postcode. 111 miles away from Inverness as the crow flies according to Google. Is there anywhere else in the UK that's further from the place whose postcode they have?

21 minutes ago, Locky said:

Just did a case at work which involved dealing with a company based in Portree. Noticed on their address that they had an Inverness postcode. 111 miles away from Inverness as the crow flies according to Google. Is there anywhere else in the UK that's further from the place whose postcode they have?

There's islands just down from Skye which have a Perth postcode and others have a Paisley one.

Years ago, when working in an office I mind someone asking me if I knew where Pazoody was. I had the pleasure of telling them that it was the postcode PA20 ODY. How we laughed (well I did).

30 minutes ago, Locky said:

When I lived near Tomatin, just south, I had a Perthshire post code although I was in Invernesshire, when I moved to Dunphail in Moryshire, I had an Invernesshire post code.

3 hours ago, Locky said:

Mallaig has a PH postcode and is over 140 miles west of Perth.

(Ft William is PH too but is ‘only’ 100 miles west)

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Mallaig has a PH postcode and is over 140 miles west of Perth.

(Ft William is PH too but is ‘only’ 100 miles west)

Maybe become relevant to the off topic question but the wife just booked the train from Fort William to Mallaig yesterday, 300 sodding quid for 2 adults and 2 kids. 🤬

11 minutes ago, graygo said:

Maybe become relevant to the off topic question but the wife just booked the train from Fort William to Mallaig yesterday, 300 sodding quid for 2 adults and 2 kids. 🤬

Was it the steam train excursion or just one of the normal ones?

2 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Was it the steam train excursion or just one of the normal ones?

The steam train one, she wasn't interested in my protests that the view is the same oot of a Scotrail windae.

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

The steam train one, she wasn't interested in my protests that the view is the same oot of a Scotrail windae.

And it’s less than a sixth of the price.

I thought it must have been the steam train - had a wee look at their site and noticed there’s only a couple of days left otherwise it’s sold out until September!

28 minutes ago, FWJ said:

And it’s less than a sixth of the price.

I thought it must have been the steam train - had a wee look at their site and noticed there’s only a couple of days left otherwise it’s sold out until September!

If you select the first class option there's much more availability. Hence the £300 price tag. 😟

5 hours ago, Meathook said:

There's islands just down from Skye which have a Perth postcode and others have a Paisley one.

Years ago, when working in an office I mind someone asking me if I knew where Pazoody was. I had the pleasure of telling them that it was the postcode PA20 ODY. How we laughed (well I did).

Used to have paisley postcodes up here in the Western Isles as well. Think they changed to the current HS codes in the 90s.

All roads lead to Gorgie
23 hours ago, Pap said:

Where the playground ditty, Bum Tit Tit, originated.

I am sure Donald Trump would have something to do with it 😉

3 hours ago, Masonic said:

how to make carbonara :) keep meaning to do it but never do

Making it right takes a wee bit of time. Plenty fresh hard Italian cheese, double cream, egg yolks and fresh parsley. Last time I made it I bought some really nice pancetta from Stockbridge market. Don't use spaghetti, use fresh penne or rigatoni pasta so the sauce can fall and stick in the middle.

12 minutes ago, JWL said:

Making it right takes a wee bit of time. Plenty fresh hard Italian cheese, double cream, egg yolks and fresh parsley. Last time I made it I bought some really nice pancetta from Stockbridge market. Don't use spaghetti, use fresh penne or rigatoni pasta so the sauce can fall and stick in the middle.

No Italian worthy of the name would put cream in a carbonara.

To be fair I doubt either you or Masonic are Italian.

Edited by graygo

10 minutes ago, graygo said:

It's the James Martin recipe and to fair it was delicious. I've no idea how Italians make it.

4 minutes ago, JWL said:

It's the James Martin recipe and to fair it was delicious. I've no idea how Italians make it.

Screenshot_20230516-202958-047.png

7 minutes ago, graygo said:

Screenshot_20230516-202958-047.png

Everyday's a school day. Pretty sure they don't scatter parmesan over their spag bol either.

22 minutes ago, JWL said:

Everyday's a school day. Pretty sure they don't scatter parmesan over their spag bol either.

Strangely enough Spaghetti Bolognese is not something you would even find in Italy 😄 

Screenshot_20230516-210115-185.png

Edited by graygo

8 minutes ago, graygo said:

Strangely enough Spaghetti Bolognese is not something you would even find in Italy 😄 

Screenshot_20230516-210115-185.png

iirc what we would call bolognese is more closely related to a ragu

19 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

iirc what we would call bolognese is more closely related to a ragu

Bolognese sauce is a Ragu done in traditional Bologna style, Ragu is a generic name for an Italian sauce.

Ragu would be served with spaghetti but a Bolognese Ragu sauce would be with pasta shapes.

Edit: that makes what you said correct 👍

Edited by graygo

Dick Dastardly

When you can see a poster being quoted but can't see the original comment and there isn't a notice saying "you've chosen to hide this poster" or something similar, and their profile can't be located, does this mean they have been banned? Suspended? Just curious! 

5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

When you can see a poster being quoted but can't see the original comment and there isn't a notice saying "you've chosen to hide this poster" or something similar, and their profile can't be located, does this mean they have been banned? Suspended? Just curious! 

Possibly that the post was deleted? Also, if I click on someone's profile from where their comment has been quoted I never find it, I can only see their profile if I click on the actual post.

2 hours ago, graygo said:

It oddly will very often put milk in a bolognese style ragu. Sounds very odd but works a treat. 

Dick Dastardly
3 minutes ago, superjack said:

Possibly that the post was deleted? Also, if I click on someone's profile from where their comment has been quoted I never find it, I can only see their profile if I click on the actual post.

There were loads of quoted posts and none of the original ones. I thought quoted posts got deleted with the original. And they didn't seem like anything that would need deleting 

14 hours ago, JWL said:

Nope not having that at all, a real Carbonara has guanciale rather than pancetta, no cream or parsley just eggs, pecorino cheese and black pepper, a lot of black pepper (clue is in the name, carbon = coal/black)

To make

Boil water for your pasta, 1ltr of water per 100g of pasta and once boiling 1/2 tablespoon of salt per ltr of water, add the spaghetti 

While the water is coming to the boil cook the guanciale in a frying pan (no need for oil) strirring occasionally until it's brown and crispy, remove from the heat until the spaghetti is al-dente

Sauce, beat the eggs, pecorino and fresh cracked black pepper in a bowl 

Once the pasta is al dente add to the cooked guanciale and return to the heat with a spoonful or two of the cooking water, once the spaghetti and guanciale are sizzling remove the pan from the heat and stir in the egg and pecorino cream and stir until the sauce stops being runny and serve

If the sauce is too thick add more cooking water, too thin then add more pecorino

50 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Nope not having that at all, a real Carbonara has guanciale rather than pancetta, no cream or parsley just eggs, pecorino cheese and black pepper, a lot of black pepper (clue is in the name, carbon = coal/black)

To make

Boil water for your pasta, 1ltr of water per 100g of pasta and once boiling 1/2 tablespoon of salt per ltr of water, add the spaghetti 

While the water is coming to the boil cook the guanciale in a frying pan (no need for oil) strirring occasionally until it's brown and crispy, remove from the heat until the spaghetti is al-dente

Sauce, beat the eggs, pecorino and fresh cracked black pepper in a bowl 

Once the pasta is al dente add to the cooked guanciale and return to the heat with a spoonful or two of the cooking water, once the spaghetti and guanciale are sizzling remove the pan from the heat and stir in the egg and pecorino cream and stir until the sauce stops being runny and serve

If the sauce is too thick add more cooking water, too thin then add more pecorino

The only pain with carbonara is that it’s really easy to make, and really easy to cock up. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

The only pain with carbonara is that it’s really easy to make, and really easy to cock up. 

So true, it's taken me so many attempts to get decent at making it, that said even when the eggs scramble a bit it still tastes amazing haha

Is the expression “cutting about” as in “cutting about the town” an Edinburgh thing?

Can’t say I’ve heard it used elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Is the expression “cutting about” as in “cutting about the town” an Edinburgh thing?

Yep, Scottish slang. 👍 

Screenshot_20230517-201012-783.png

Edited by graygo

8 minutes ago, graygo said:

Yep, Scottish slang. 👍 

Screenshot_20230517-201012-783.png

👍

But is it only Edinburgh?  I’ve not heard it used elsewhere.

been here before
1 minute ago, FWJ said:

👍

Was certainly used in Still Game.

14 hours ago, FWJ said:

Like @been here before I'm sure I've heard it in Still Game. Also when I stayed in the borders, it was said down there too.

What about 'puttering about'? My girlfriend always laughs when I say it was she's not familiar with it. She's from Lanarkshire. Had to explain to her the exact meaning. For me, I use it to describe when I'm somewhere, but not really doing anything. 'Aye, I'd love to go for a pint, just been sat puttering aboot in the hoose aw day'.

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, Locky said:

Like @been here before I'm sure I've heard it in Still Game. Also when I stayed in the borders, it was said down there too.

What about 'puttering about'? My girlfriend always laughs when I say it was she's not familiar with it. She's from Lanarkshire. Had to explain to her the exact meaning. For me, I use it to describe when I'm somewhere, but not really doing anything. 'Aye, I'd love to go for a pint, just been sat puttering aboot in the hoose aw day'.

I would say pottering about more than puttering about

9 minutes ago, Locky said:

I'd say 'footering about' for that.

On 03/05/2023 at 14:06, Daktari said:

Why, when reporting on elections, do the media always have a picture of a polling station sign featuring a dog or dogs tied up next to it? It's become as common as the picture of a medal winner 'biting' said medal...... This is almost a candidate for the 'seethe' thread actually!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65455770

It's probably the same photo, used time and again.

15 hours ago, FWJ said:

👍

Everyone used it. Cutting about the streets. 

Footering about, is pissing about trying to do something, you are usually struggling with.

1 hour ago, Meathook said:

I'd say 'footering about' for that.

Or as most folk say, stop fecking aboot.

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I would say pottering about more than puttering about

Pottering 👍