Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

23 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

weirdly it is a state law in arkansas on how to pronounce it. it comes from arkansas having a french origin, while kansas an english origin

Bloody French. We didn't fight the Seven Year War to have those bloody colonials not speaking the King's! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The car that used to knock about Edinburgh with the big Red Bull can on it…what was that all about? I always wondered the same things every time I saw it. 

Did the guy driving it buy it?

Was he paid to drive it around as an advert type thing?

If it was an advert, was he allowed to drive it for personal use? Could he just fire roond to his mates in it for example?

Was it always the same one I used to see knocking about, or were there more than one in Edinburgh? 

Where has it/they gone? I’ve not seen one for ages?

A32F14CA-0E68-4745-BD7D-81048D57CB72.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

The car that used to knock about Edinburgh with the big Red Bull can on it…what was that all about? I always wondered the same things every time I saw it. 

If it was an advert, was he allowed to drive it for personal use? Could he just fire roond to his mates in it for example?

Was it always the same one I used to see knocking about, or were there more than one in Edinburgh? 

It's parked up in Marchmont area theses days

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

I don't know how many there were but one of the guys was a rep who'd buzz around various bars and nightclubs to oversee, their stock, sales, promos, display and projected orders. 

He had a boot full of the stuff which he handed to mates endlessly. 

1 hour ago, robroy1874 said:

It's parked up in Marchmont area theses days

23 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I don't know how many there were but one of the guys was a rep who'd buzz around various bars and nightclubs to oversee, their stock, sales, promos, display and projected orders. 

He had a boot full of the stuff which he handed to mates endlessly. 

Cheers boys, interesting to know. Always gave me a smile imagining the dude arranging a first date with some lassie. “It’s ok, I’ll pick you up at half seven”…then that ****ing thing rolls up ootside the lassies hoose 🤣

Captain Sausage
9 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Back in 2010, my mates gf had one of these. Was for dumping promo kit at clubs and attending events. She used it as her personal car too, and we always went to theirs for pre-drinks as she had an infinite supply of Red Bull and vodka. 

Dick Dastardly

Why does your washing smell so much better when its been hung out to dry compared to tumble dried or hung on the radiators? 

19 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Why does your washing smell so much better when its been hung out to dry compared to tumble dried or hung on the radiators? 

because your house is foostie

Dick Dastardly
10 hours ago, milky_26 said:

because your house is foostie

I thought i had a restraining order preventing you from sniffing through my letter box

JudyJudyJudy

Where do broken hearts go?

What becomes of the broken hearted?

Why do fools fall in love? 

John Gentleman
2 hours ago, FWJ said:

Time is what stops everything happening all at once.

Stupid or not?

Not stupid. It's the only way our primeval brains can make sense of things. 

On 07/02/2023 at 15:03, Lone Striker said:

Maybe just an Americanism, but why did  helicopters become known as "choppers" ? 

Rotors 'chop' through the air therefor helicopters became choppers, and yes it is an american term

Lone Striker
6 hours ago, JWL said:

Why are Catholics always devout and Protestants always staunch. Never heard it the other way round.

Aye, its a bit curious, that.  

Wasn't the Protestant faith rooted in rebellion against the version of Christianity known as Roman Catholicism ?  The Pope was held up as God's representative on Earth, and his teachings had to be obeyed.   

So maybe "devout" has a connotation of adhering strictly to these  teachings, whereas "staunch" sounds like devotion to the  rebellion against  it.  

In footballing terms, we're "staunch" Hearts supporters rebelling  against "devout" Weegie glory-hunting bigotry.   :rock2:     I like that.

Lone Striker
7 hours ago, FWJ said:

Time is what stops everything happening all at once.

Stupid or not?

Its probably the main factor, yes.    But imagine long ago, 2 people standing back to back in a field.  One says "I can see the milk-maid and the shepherd copulating in the field".   The other says "No, you're wrong - there's nothing happening in the field".

Location, location, location.  😎

Dick Dastardly
7 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Why is it every new build estate now seems to have a lake and rubber rings in case someone falls in?

Isn't it some kind of drainage thing? It helps release rain water into the rivers slower or something like that

11 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Isn't it some kind of drainage thing? It helps release rain water into the rivers slower or something like that

Nail on head, collects rainwater when especially wet and slowly drains into both the drainage systems and local waterways 

Pretty silly and probably know the answer but just something daft I was thinking about the other day.

Do professional snooker players who spend 8 hours a day practising get the colours out the pockets themselves all day? 

Must get repetitive as **** and throw you off your rythym. Or do they have really helpful and understanding partners :lol:

11 minutes ago, 151 said:

Pretty silly and probably know the answer but just something daft I was thinking about the other day.

Do professional snooker players who spend 8 hours a day practising get the colours out the pockets themselves all day? 

Must get repetitive as **** and throw you off your rythym. Or do they have really helpful and understanding partners :lol:

They will have someone there. Paid to help.  Even a family member. 

13 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Why is it every new build estate now seems to have a lake and rubber rings in case someone falls in?

There was a law passed at some time making devolopers include what they call 'sustainable drainage systems' in their plans.

This has been bugging me for months now and endless google searches and still don’t know the answer. Went to pictures to see a film circa 2010-2013 for some reason or another a group of people need to move indoors in middle of desert because it’s to hot? They find some big cave  and 100s of them live there and the population grows? The ending is of course the two younger folk in the population (main charachtors fall in love happy ever after?  I cannot for life of me remember the name of the film or the full plot details.  I’m convinced Jennifer Lawrence was in it but I can’t find it.  

9 minutes ago, toonland said:

This has been bugging me for months now and endless google searches and still don’t know the answer. Went to pictures to see a film circa 2010-2013 for some reason or another a group of people need to move indoors in middle of desert because it’s to hot? They find some big cave  and 100s of them live there and the population grows? The ending is of course the two younger folk in the population (main charachtors fall in love happy ever after?  I cannot for life of me remember the name of the film or the full plot details.  I’m convinced Jennifer Lawrence was in it but I can’t find it.  

The Colony

1 hour ago, toonland said:

The Host?

periodictabledancer

Why has Police Scotland spent so long but  failed to charge anyone from the SNP with any crime ? 

5 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Why has Police Scotland spent so long but  failed to charge anyone from the SNP with any crime ? 

Because financial cases take years to investigate before charges are brought. They also arrest people so they can be interviewed under caution, and the release without charge does not mean charges won't be brought at a later date

9 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

The Host with Saoirse Ronan rather than Jennifer Lawrence, 2013?

9 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

The Host with Saoirse Ronan rather than Jennifer Lawrence, 2013?

Thank you both, this is the very fella. 

Greedy Jambo

Do your feet still grow in later years? Adidas have always been a small fit for me, but more and more brands are just too small now. 

5 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Do your feet still grow in later years? Adidas have always been a small fit for me, but more and more brands are just too small now. 

Yes. I looked that up a while back because I used to always buy a size 8 and now it's anything between a 9 and a 10, depending on the brand. It's something to do with tendons and ligaments stretching and the arch lowering.

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, Meathook said:

Yes. I looked that up a while back because I used to always buy a size 8 and now it's anything between a 9 and a 10, depending on the brand. It's something to do with tendons and ligaments stretching and the arch lowering.

There goes my yearly M&M direct binge. 

Bear with me on this one. 

There’s a groove underneath your tongue. 

There’s a banjo string between the middle of your top teeth and your upper lip. Push your tongue up and they fit together perfectly. 

Were these connected when you were in the womb to stop your developing lungs ingesting fluid? 

I think we all got oxygen via the umbilical cord so we didn’t need to use our lungs in uterus?

I haven’t been smoking I promise ☮️ 

12 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

There goes my yearly M&M direct binge. 

Aye it's a bugger. I can't buy shoes online now, unless I've bought the exaxt same ones in the last few years, as there's often sizing variations across a brand's range.

Mr Sifter

Who/where/when was the decision made to stop having pipe bands playing at Scottish Cup finals? And why? Always loved the pipes n drums before a big game (recall seeing them at Tynie on more than a few occasions too), and would love to see it return. Who do I send my strongly worded email to? 😡

Cairneyhill Jambo
5 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Who/where/when was the decision made to stop having pipe bands playing at Scottish Cup finals? And why? Always loved the pipes n drums before a big game (recall seeing them at Tynie on more than a few occasions too), and would love to see it return. Who do I send my strongly worded email to? 😡

I remember when if two big teams were drawn against each other in the Scottish Junior Cup  they used to wheel out the local pipe band which was followed round the pitch by 4 guys and a big bedsheets so supporters could throw their change into it as a donation. I'm sure kids used to collect more from the ones that missed the sheet and ended up on the park. 

4 hours ago, R9. said:

You can send them back if they don’t fit 😂

What method do you think I should use?  Do I order three different sizes and have the bother of sending two pairs back, or do I just take a chance and order one? If I order one I might just strike it lucky, or I might have to go through it all again.  It's the hassle of returns which puts me off. 😁

2 minutes ago, R9. said:

😂 wait till they get delivered Evri will leave on door step claim they were not delivered three free pairs of trainers keep the ones you want and sell the two you don’t want for cheaper than the website are selling for 😜

Sod the three pairs, I'm ordering six. 😂

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 27/04/2023 at 15:34, Greedy Jambo said:

I’ll tell you what doesn’t keep growing in later years 😡

1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I’ll tell you what doesn’t keep growing in later years 😡

:oohmatron:

58 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Why, when reporting on elections, do the media always have a picture of a polling station sign featuring a dog or dogs tied up next to it? It's become as common as the picture of a medal winner 'biting' said medal...... This is almost a candidate for the 'seethe' thread actually!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65455770

And on those lines why do polls say “If there was an election tomorrow…?”  Why not “if there was an election today…?”

Edited by FWJ

50 minutes ago, FWJ said:

And on those lines why do polls say “If there was an election tomorrow…?”  Why not “if there was an election today…?”

Yep, bugs ma tits too
Should be If there were an election ... when discussing hypothetical situations 😁

Anyone here from Prestonfield or now anyone who is? Always lived near it, always passed through it, and it looks a fairly common enough area, but never once met anyone or heard of anyone from Prestonfield.

Starting to wonder if it really exists or its just an optical illusion.

3 hours ago, RobboM said:

Yep, bugs ma tits too
Should be If there were an election ... when discussing hypothetical situations 😁

Can’t beat a bit of subjunctive!

Portable Badger

Not so much ‘something I’ve wanted to know but couldn’t be arsed checking the internet’ as to ‘I never knew that fact’

Ive been listening to the BBC Podcasts ‘Killing Victoria’ - I never realised there were 7 assassination attempts during her reign.

If people from Scotland wear t-shirts and hoodies with LA and New York on them, do people from LA and New York wear tops with Forfar or Lesmahagow on them?🤔

maroondevo52
On 03/05/2023 at 16:50, Locky said:

Anyone here from Prestonfield or now anyone who is? Always lived near it, always passed through it, and it looks a fairly common enough area, but never once met anyone or heard of anyone from Prestonfield.

Starting to wonder if it really exists or its just an optical illusion.

My uncle Jocky Robertson who played for Third Lanark used to babysit me and would tell me about when he used to kick John Greig's backside when they were playing football in the street in Prestonfield.