Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Why do people say "bless you" after someone sneezes but don't say anything after someone coughs or farts? 

People generally say "You smelly *******" after I fart.... 

been here before
6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Why do people say "bless you" after someone sneezes but don't say anything after someone coughs or farts? 

Back in ye oldene days sneezes were thought to be a precurser to the plague or in some societies ye devil leaving the soul. Bless you was seen as a way to ward off the plague or to stop thr devil re-entering one's soul.

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Back in ye oldene days sneezes were thought to be a precurser to the plague or in some societies ye devil leaving the soul. Bless you was seen as a way to ward off the plague or to stop thr devil re-entering one's soul.

You would've thought a fart was more likely to be the devil leaving one's soul

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You would've thought a fart was more likely to be the devil leaving one's hole

Fixed it for you😉

13 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I read recently it was an instruction from a pope, so googled it just now and that appears to be only part of the reason. 

Why Do We Say 'God Bless You' After A Sneeze? History Of The Pope's Decree | History Daily

15 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

In the Irish language, we say "Dia linn".  It literally translates as "God with us", though the actual meaning seems to be "bless us" - which seems a more accurate and apt thing to say if you're afraid someone in the room has the plague. :whistling:

I think it's the same in Gàidhlig.

Dick Dastardly
10 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

In the Irish language, we say "Dia linn".  It literally translates as "God with us", though the actual meaning seems to be "bless us" - which seems a more accurate and apt thing to say if you're afraid someone in the room has the plague. :whistling:

We used to shout "away and wash your hands, ya dirty bassa" in the pub i used to work in.... 

9 minutes ago, bairdy said:

Does anybody know a country that David Attenborough hasn't visited ?😳

Hopefully David Attenborough. 😁

7 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

What's the secret in successfully claiming pip?

There's not really a secret mate, you just need to know how the system works.

You need to have a recognised, and ongoing, disability or health condition(s). The more health professionals who can attest to how this affects your day-to-day life the better.

PIP works on a point-scoring system, covering different aspects of how your life is affected.  On the form, you need to explain how your condition(s) affect you for as many of those aspects as you can.

Finally, and probably most importantly, when filling in the form you have to fill it in thinking of how your condition(s) affect you on your worst day.

henrysmithsgloves
33 minutes ago, JKB Member C said:

There's not really a secret mate, you just need to know how the system works.

You need to have a recognised, and ongoing, disability or health condition(s). The more health professionals who can attest to how this affects your day-to-day life the better.

PIP works on a point-scoring system, covering different aspects of how your life is affected.  On the form, you need to explain how your condition(s) affect you for as many of those aspects as you can.

Finally, and probably most importantly, when filling in the form you have to fill it in thinking of how your condition(s) affect you on your worst day.

Thanks 👍🏻

37 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Why, on a flight, do window shutters have to be up, arm-rests down and seats be upright, for take-off and landing?

the window shutters are in case the plane crashes, rescuers can look in the window to see. similarly the lights are turned off so that if there is an emergency your eyes should already be acustomed to the light level outside.

i dont know about the arm rests or the seats but i imagine the seats will again be if you need to evacuate the plane, an upright seat will be easier and quicker to get out of

17 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the window shutters are in case the plane crashes, rescuers can look in the window to see. similarly the lights are turned off so that if there is an emergency your eyes should already be acustomed to the light level outside.

i dont know about the arm rests or the seats but i imagine the seats will again be if you need to evacuate the plane, an upright seat will be easier and quicker to get out of

I read somewhere that the seats are structurally stronger when in the upright position, and a sudden stop can cause raised armrests to slam down, l which could cause injuries.  

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

1 hour ago, JKB Member C said:

I read somewhere that the seats are structurally stronger when in the upright position, and a sudden stop can cause raised armrests to slam down, l which could cause injuries.  

Thanks to you both.

I could probably have Googled it, but followed the intention of the thread title.

We’ve wondered about these aircraft things for years, but have never looked into them properly.

We’ve been on so many flights in the last 3 months that, at last, we’ve queried it.

2 hours ago, JKB Member C said:

a sudden stop can cause raised armrests to slam down, l which could cause injuries.  

I think I'd be more concerned about hitting the ground or mountain at 500mph causing the injury... :) Is the upright seat maybe because a reclined seat prevents the passenger behind from assuming the brace position? (as well as the occupant of the reclined seat....)

Edited by Daktari

On 09/09/2023 at 17:19, henrysmithsgloves said:

What's the secret in successfully claiming pip?

Moving to a country where you can claim PIP! 😀

Since last summer we have ADP, Adult Disability Payment, administered by Holyrood and away from that private company paid to filter people out.

The secret's very simple, get help filling in the form. On the site where you claim there's a bit where you can request help, they arrange an appointment with a "delivery partner" and go through it all with you.

I did it in a zoom call on Tuesday, the lassie was brilliant. She was shocked I'd been turned down for pip a year ago, the appeals too, and was encouraging me to get the lawyers in so I don't lose out on a year's money. But TBH I now know I made a ***** of the forms after seeing how well she did with them, and I just want this behind me now.

Basically though, I shouldn't have been turned down, and probably wouldn't have been if I'd had that kind of assistance.

I was a bit intimidated beforehand, fear of the unknown and all that, but she was so good. She even let me get a half hour sleep when I started flagging after an hour, calling back to complete.

henrysmithsgloves
45 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Since last summer we have ADP, Adult Disability Payment, administered by Holyrood and away from that private company paid to filter people out.

The secret's very simple, get help filling in the form. On the site where you claim there's a bit where you can request help, they arrange an appointment with a "delivery partner" and go through it all with you.

I did it in a zoom call on Tuesday, the lassie was brilliant. She was shocked I'd been turned down for pip a year ago, the appeals too, and was encouraging me to get the lawyers in so I don't lose out on a year's money. But TBH I now know I made a ***** of the forms after seeing how well she did with them, and I just want this behind me now.

Basically though, I shouldn't have been turned down, and probably wouldn't have been if I'd had that kind of assistance.

I was a bit intimidated beforehand, fear of the unknown and all that, but she was so good. She even let me get a half hour sleep when I started flagging after an hour, calling back to complete.

A guy came and took the forms away  to fill in. I put a claim in on January after my stroke just got the forms"book" at start of September. I should have put a claim in seven years ago though, when I was diagnosed with cancer😳 nobody tells you these things 🤬 struggled on working, whilst dealing with a major operation and subsequent chemo . Up shot gave up working after five years of going through hell and have been living off savings and private pension totally stressing out. It wasn't till after the stroke I was told about pip from a fellow Jambo who works at the hospital 😀 what gets to me ,there's a few guys my age in the village, who have never worked a day in their lives and get all the benefits handed to them on a silver plate. There's others though that are really struggling, because they don't know how to play the system 🤬 sorry for the rant smithee 😔 getting help with my problems after the stroke, being unable to do the simplest of tasks,amid bouts of severe depression having to rely on the Mrs and kids to do everything for me now. Although with physiotherapy I hope to get more independent 👍🏻

Why do some folk wrap their suitcases in cling film before boarding a flight? 

Seen this loads lately and always thought WTAF? 

Edited by cheetah
Sp

6 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Protects the case and also acts as a deterrent to a would be thief. Won't stop them taking the case but harder to open and help yourself.

1 minute ago, cazzyy said:

Protects the case and also acts as a deterrent to a would be thief. Won't stop them taking the case but harder to open and help yourself.

Protects it from what? Cases are pretty hardy otherwise we wouldn't buy them. 

8 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Protects it from what? Cases are pretty hardy otherwise we wouldn't buy them. 

Protects them fro getting scuffed, Not all of them are hardy, some aren't even waterproof.

I don't wrap mine.

29 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

There is just no way that the ‘cling film’ wrap acts as a deterrent. 

39 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Good point.  👍

We were on an 80 minute flight just two days ago. Folk had their cases wrapped up like they were heading off to the moon.

16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

There is just no way that the ‘cling film’ wrap acts as a deterrent. 

It's more of a thick plastic wrap than just cling film to be fair.

Screenshot_20230915-220549~2.png

19 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

A bit suspect going through the green lane with a suitcase wrapped up like a kilo of coke😳

Don’t knock it ‘til you've tried it.  👍

been here before
12 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Maroon lane for me🤔😉

"Anything to declare"

"Aye, **** the Hibs"

"Thank you sir, enjoy your visit".

On 14/09/2023 at 23:05, Daktari said:

I think I'd be more concerned about hitting the ground or mountain at 500mph causing the injury... :) Is the upright seat maybe because a reclined seat prevents the passenger behind from assuming the brace position? (as well as the occupant of the reclined seat....)

Good point. Take the front seat, recline as soon as you can so every bugger all the way back does too. If your seat snaps back on impact, you've got a lovely long set of cushioning to protect you from the impact. 

Human airbags, basically. 👍

henrysmithsgloves
53 minutes ago, been here before said:

"Anything to declare"

"Aye, **** the Hibs"

"Thank you sir, enjoy your visit".

😎😂

18 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

This hasn't been bothering me for a long time because it seems to be a fairly new thing and maybe I'm the only one that it happens to but why is your username upside down?

Screenshot_20230916-001935~2.png

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, cazzyy said:

This hasn't been bothering me for a long time because it seems to be a fairly new thing and maybe I'm the only one that it happens to but why is your username upside down?

He's on holiday in Australia 🦘🦘🤔😁

On 07/09/2023 at 16:09, Ulysses said:

In Turkey it's çok yaşa or İyi yaşa. Long life/good life

9 hours ago, cazzyy said:

Screenshot_20230916-001935~2.png

I found this thing that ****s with text and wanted to see if it would work as a username, nothing more exciting than that I'm afraid 

1 hour ago, R9. said:

When you die and people think there is an afterlife in heaven. What age will you be ? Will you be the age you died at. If you died in your 80s but a parent died in there 30s you will be meeting your parent 50 years older than them 🤔

I think when you ascend to heaven you look your " fabulous" best. So for me ill be around 21. 

2 hours ago, R9. said:

When you die and people think there is an afterlife in heaven. What age will you be ? Will you be the age you died at. If you died in your 80s but a parent died in there 30s you will be meeting your parent 50 years older than them 🤔

I was thinking about something similar, if you've been married more than once which one do you need to spend eternity with?

1 hour ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

I found this thing that ****s with text and wanted to see if it would work as a username, nothing more exciting than that I'm afraid 

Boo!!  Was hoping for something exciting like a final warning or something 😕

How come when I have the house to myself, and there's nobody to mean about me getting pished while cooking, I'm suddenly not that bothered about having a second dram?

On 16/09/2023 at 04:36, R9. said:

That's a reasonable question, but don't expect an answer because no-one knows the answer. I suggest that making up any answer you like is the way to go.  

On 16/09/2023 at 09:36, R9. said:

I think the usual Christian twaddle is that it's your soul, not your body, which goes to heaven. If that were to be the case, there wouldn't be an age anomaly.

henrysmithsgloves
On 16/09/2023 at 11:38, cazzyy said:

I was thinking about something similar, if you've been married more than once which one do you need to spend eternity with?

I'd call that hell, spending eternity with all the ex wives😨

When there's a car crash in a film or tv programme, like a car going off the edge of a cliff stuff, do the tv/film crew organise a clear up of the debris left behind or do they just say, ah feck that?