Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

5 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Where can I buy the same glue that they use to put the sticker on imperial leather soap? What kind of glue is it?????

Doesn't answer the question, but interesting all the same.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12059893/Do-know-sticker-Imperial-Leather-for.html

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

🤣🤣🤣,Bet it's still stuck there!

Aye, they're a bugger to get off, aren't they. I never thought about posting on a forum for help.😁

henrysmithsgloves
58 minutes ago, JKB Member C said:

Aye, they're a bugger to get off, aren't they. I never thought about posting on a forum for help.😁

👍🏻🤣

Dick Dastardly
13 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Interesting read👍🏻 my plan is to build a nuclear shelter out of the labels and glue😁

😂 😂 😂 😂 

I P Knightley
On 29/07/2023 at 19:27, Greedy Jambo said:

Here's a baby newt, I found one in my garden a few years ago. 

common-Newts-770x573.jpg

Is that your newt? It looks very small.

45 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Is that your newt? It looks very small.

That's because it's HIS newt! 

No, wait.....

Lone Striker

Is it really true that in the northern hemisphere, the water always goes clockwise down the plughole - but in the  southern hemisphere it goes anti-clockwise ?   

(Or have I spent too much time listening to old wives with tails ?)  :whistling:

9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Is it really true that in the northern hemisphere, the water always goes clockwise down the plughole - but in the  southern hemisphere it goes anti-clockwise ?   

(Or have I spent too much time listening to old wives with tails ?)  :whistling:

its false, the geometry of the plughole determines how the water flows down it.

however big weather systems like tornados etc are affected that way

henrysmithsgloves
9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

It's true 👍🏻

21 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

It's true 👍🏻

I remember seeing a programme years ago - may have been Blue Peter - when they did an experiment at the equator where they poured water in a funnel in the northern side and it went oe way, then walked about 100 yards down the road, across the equator,  and did the same experiment and the water went in the opposite direction. 

Breaking the rules a bit here, because it's only something I've just started to notice.

Why is the penalty spot this season now just the outline of a circle?  It used to be a filled in dot, but now it's not.

53 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Breaking the rules a bit here, because it's only something I've just started to notice.

Why is the penalty spot this season now just the outline of a circle?  It used to be a filled in dot, but now it's not.

It doesn't answer your question, but I've just found this interesting snippet.

https://www.askasoccerreferee.com/penalty-marks-who-knew/

The text of Law 1 never specified the diameter of the penalty mark because (a) the mark has no official diameter and, more surprisingly, (b) the penalty mark doesn’t have to be a circle.  Further, it is not unknown for penalty marks used elsewhere in the world (places which are members of FIFA and adhere to the Laws of the Game, as required) use shapes other than a circle for the penalty mark.  Indeed, “various shapes including doughnut/polo mint, crosses and boxes” was mentioned in the reply of this source.

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It doesn't answer your question, but I've just found this interesting snippet.

https://www.askasoccerreferee.com/penalty-marks-who-knew/

The text of Law 1 never specified the diameter of the penalty mark because (a) the mark has no official diameter and, more surprisingly, (b) the penalty mark doesn’t have to be a circle.  Further, it is not unknown for penalty marks used elsewhere in the world (places which are members of FIFA and adhere to the Laws of the Game, as required) use shapes other than a circle for the penalty mark.  Indeed, “various shapes including doughnut/polo mint, crosses and boxes” was mentioned in the reply of this source.

So our penalty spots could be hearts :lol:

Just something I've noticed that all pitches seem to be doing now, and wondered if there had been some sort of directive to change them that has flown under the radar!

31 minutes ago, tian447 said:

So our penalty spots could be hearts :lol:

Just something I've noticed that all pitches seem to be doing now, and wondered if there had been some sort of directive to change them that has flown under the radar!

If any of the Hearts management are reading, make it so! :D 

Couldn't find anything about a move from circle to polo mint with my limited searches. Perhaps just a trend?

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

If any of the Hearts management are reading, make it so! :D 

Couldn't find anything about a move from circle to polo mint with my limited searches. Perhaps just a trend?

Could be, at first I thought it might be something to do with VAR (solid circle maybe interferes with offside decisions or something) but it still doesn't seem like a solid enough reason - and without any proof to suggest it!

I'm sad enough to check and we had penalty spots (filled in) versus Rosenborg, but Hibs last night versus Villa had penalty circles (not filled in). 

It's one of those things that's caught my eye in a few games, and now I can't stop noticing it :lol:

3 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Could be, at first I thought it might be something to do with VAR (solid circle maybe interferes with offside decisions or something) but it still doesn't seem like a solid enough reason - and without any proof to suggest it!

I'm sad enough to check and we had penalty spots (filled in) versus Rosenborg, but Hibs last night versus Villa had penalty circles (not filled in). 

It's one of those things that's caught my eye in a few games, and now I can't stop noticing it :lol:

Trust the Hobos to go for the annular.

2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

The moon. How far away is it actually

Think of 30 Earths laid next to each other. That far away on average.

Edited by redjambo

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, superjack said:

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Surely,there would be no hypothetical answers 🤔

7 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Why haven't monkeys evolved?

Thry have/did/continue to.

The monkeys and apes that are around today are not the same species we evolved from.

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

The monkeys and apes that are around today are not the same species we evolved from.

Why haven't horseshoe crabs evolved? 

henrysmithsgloves

Do flies know you're after them? Son bought one of those zapper tennis racket things, every time I get it,the fekkers disappear 🤬

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Why haven't horseshoe crabs evolved? 

All species evolve.  The speed at which they evolve depends on their environment.  If the environment is changing quickly, they'll evolve quickly (or go extinct).  If the environment is changing very slowly, then they'll evolve very slowly.  Horseshoe crabs are no exception.

henrysmithsgloves
35 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

All species evolve.  The speed at which they evolve depends on their environment.  If the environment is changing quickly, they'll evolve quickly (or go extinct).  If the environment is changing very slowly, then they'll evolve very slowly.  Horseshoe crabs are no exception.

Prime example ,Hibs manager 

th-4093664420.jpg

Greedy Jambo
5 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Monkeys just seem to be monkeys no? not sure they've evolved at all. 

And did we evolve from apes or fish? 

It's all a lot of bollocks if you ask me. 

8 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Monkeys to seem to be Monkeys yes. They've definitely evolved. From Fish.

And aye, we evolved from Fish, then apes. But not the same apes that around these days.

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Monkeys to seem to be Monkeys yes. They've definitely evolved. From Fish.

And aye, we evolved from Fish, then apes. But not the same apes that around these days.

Nahh, a superior race came down and messed with our DNA. 

46 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Well, we now know not to ask. :wink:

The Theory of Evolution through natural selection has a mountain of evidence to support it.  It's as close to a fact as you're likely to get in science.  Richard Dawkins has a number of very good books on the subject.  I recommend that you read one.  You'll change your mind about evolution being bollocks.

Lone Striker

Where, when and why did the expression "early doors" enter the human psyche ?

Is it shorthand for something ?  Or rhyming slang ?    Does it convey something to folk who have no interest in football ?    Is it only  used by meeja types in Scotland  ?

Why do we never hear about  "late doors"  ?

8 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Where, when and why did the expression "early doors" enter the human psyche ?

Is it shorthand for something ?  Or rhyming slang ?    Does it convey something to folk who have no interest in football ?    Is it only  used by meeja types in Scotland  ?

Why do we never hear about  "late doors"  ?

there is two potential origins of the phrase early doors.

1) from theatres when they would open their doors early for a performance so some people could beat the rush

2) when pubs would shut in the morning and then open early in the evening and some of their patrons were waiting for it to reopen or arrived soon after it reopening

Greedy Jambo
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Well, we now know not to ask. :wink:

The Theory of Evolution through natural selection has a mountain of evidence to support it.  It's as close to a fact as you're likely to get in science.  Richard Dawkins has a number of very good books on the subject.  I recommend that you read one.  You'll change your mind about evolution being bollocks.

Look at me, i'm a fish. 

I'm starting to realize why I didn't pay attention in school, it's all making sense now. 

p.s, sorry if i'm starting to sound a bit like @rudi must stay

Maybe he knows the truth. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You seriously think that Monkeys haven't evolved despite the difference in size and shape of all the monkey/apes there are?

Serious question here, genuinely, do you believe the earth is round? There is evidence that it is but many believe it's flat, where do you stand?

Greedy Jambo
6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You seriously think that Monkeys haven't evolved despite the difference in size and shape of all the monkey/apes there are?

Serious question here, genuinely, do you believe the earth is round? There is evidence that it is but many believe it's flat, where do you stand?

It's as round as my balls, that Indian moon landing though... jesus christ, could that have looked any more fake?

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It's as round as my balls, that Indian moon landing though... jesus christ, could that have looked any more fake?

So why do you side with the round earth theory and not the flat earthed one despite the evedence but described the theory of evolution as "bollocks"?