Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Greedy Jambo
6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You seriously think that Monkeys haven't evolved despite the difference in size and shape of all the monkey/apes there are?

Serious question here, genuinely, do you believe the earth is round? There is evidence that it is but many believe it's flat, where do you stand?

It's as round as my balls, that Indian moon landing though... jesus christ, could that have looked any more fake?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It's as round as my balls, that Indian moon landing though... jesus christ, could that have looked any more fake?

So why do you side with the round earth theory and not the flat earthed one despite the evedence but described the theory of evolution as "bollocks"?

Greedy Jambo
7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

So why do you side with the round earth theory and not the flat earthed one despite the evedence but described the theory of evolution as "bollocks"?

What does the evolution theory have to do with the earth being round of flat?

31 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Look at me, i'm a fish. 

I'm starting to realize why I didn't pay attention in school, it's all making sense now. 

p.s, sorry if i'm starting to sound a bit like @rudi must stay

Maybe he knows the truth. 

Evolution:  Belief is optional, participation is not.  :thumb:

There are a few other Theories that are interesting.  The Germ Theory of Disease is truly daft.  It says that wee invisible creatures cause illnesses, often death.  Crazy, huh?

The Theory of Plate Tectonics is another insane one.  It claims that entire continents like the Americas and Australia are moving.  Who'd believe that nonsense?  I've stared long and hard at North America; it ain't moving, trust me.

I'm just having a laugh here, mate.  :biggrin2:

There are lots of interesting books on these subjects.

Greedy Jambo
32 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Evolution:  Belief is optional, participation is not.  :thumb:

There are a few other Theories that are interesting.  The Germ Theory of Disease is truly daft.  It says that wee invisible creatures cause illnesses, often death.  Crazy, huh?

The Theory of Plate Tectonics is another insane one.  It claims that entire continents like the Americas and Australia are moving.  Who'd believe that nonsense?  I've stared long and hard at North America; it ain't moving, trust me.

I'm just having a laugh here, mate.  :biggrin2:

There are lots of interesting books on these subjects.

To be continued...

😂

9 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

What does the evolution theory have to do with the earth being round of flat?

It's the evidence you seem seem to ignore about the theory of evolution, I wondered if you chose to ingnore the same evidence about the earth being round.

Looking at the rain pishing down in Barcelona for stage 1 of La Vuelta made me wonder...does the rain in Spain really fall mainly on the plain?

Day@theraces
21 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Obviously not an Indian Stanley Kubrick around at the moment.

Greedy Jambo
23 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

Obviously not an Indian Stanley Kubrick around at the moment.

Haa, yeah, i'm not going to go down that road, but the Indian video looks worse than the american one from 1969. 

Interested to know who or what was taking the video of it landing. 

maybolejambo

If Jesus was real and could perform miracles like walk on water and be able to bring dead people back to life why were the Romans not scared about killing him. 

John Gentleman
3 hours ago, maybolejambo said:

If Jesus was real and could perform miracles like walk on water and be able to bring dead people back to life why were the Romans not scared about killing him. 

Because they thought he was a bullshitter?

highlandjambo3
On 25/08/2023 at 18:07, Maple Leaf said:

All species evolve.  The speed at which they evolve depends on their environment.  If the environment is changing quickly, they'll evolve quickly (or go extinct).  If the environment is changing very slowly, then they'll evolve very slowly.  Horseshoe crabs are no exception.

Yes……*I’ve always wondered about penguins, they have daft wee wings and can’t fly but, they are great at swimming in the water so, the question is, in a gazillion years will they be full on birds or full on fish 🤷‍♂️

* not so that it keeps me awake like 😁

Dick Dastardly
On 25/08/2023 at 18:07, Maple Leaf said:

All species evolve.  The speed at which they evolve depends on their environment.  If the environment is changing quickly, they'll evolve quickly (or go extinct).  If the environment is changing very slowly, then they'll evolve very slowly.  Horseshoe crabs are no exception.

👍 

maybolejambo
9 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Because they thought he was a bullshitter?

He must have been because I wouldn't go near a bloke who could do that shit.

Why don’t washing machines take in hot water any more?

I’ve got a tankful and it seems a waste that the machine then uses more electricity to heat more water.

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Why aren't all bricks designed like lego bricks? 

A better question would be "why aren't Lego bricks designed like regular bricks?" as they're the new kids on the block (hohoho)

Dick Dastardly
9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

as they're the new kids on the block (hohoho)

Exactly. They are more technically advanced than your run of the mill hoose brick. The interlocking design gives stability and versatility, much that is missing in an everyday brick. 

And most bricks already have the holes, they just need the nodules. 

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Exactly. They are more technically advanced than your run of the mill hoose brick. The interlocking design gives stability and versatility, much that is missing in an everyday brick. 

And most bricks already have the holes, they just need the nodules. 

Lego had to make their bricks stick together, but temporarily, so they faced the challenge of how to modify a regular brick shape.

Clay bricks don't need to be engineered further, mortar does the sticking, and simple design is optimal for producing them.

When a police officer tasers one and other officers handle the person being tasered, why don't they get electrocuted as well?

JudyJudyJudy

Why do most people sleep on their side ? I’m trying to sleep on my back but struggling 

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Lego had to make their bricks stick together, but temporarily, so they faced the challenge of how to modify a regular brick shape.

Clay bricks don't need to be engineered further, mortar does the sticking, and simple design is optimal for producing them.

...and storing...

24 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

When a police officer tasers one and other officers handle the person being tasered, why don't they get electrocuted as well?

Because the electric shock is localised to the point of contact and doesn't travel through the persons body

11 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Because the electric shock is localised to the point of contact and doesn't travel through the persons body

How does that work then?

On 26/08/2023 at 22:07, Greedy Jambo said:

Haa, yeah, i'm not going to go down that road, but the Indian video looks worse than the american one from 1969. 

Interested to know who or what was taking the video of it landing. 

You do know that this was a representation of the landing don't you?? Nobody has claimed this was actual footage. Mind you, it's still more believable than the Alien spacecraft ones

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

How does that work then?

basically it's ungrounded so that the electricity only travels between the 2 points of the taser, so for police style tasers that fire 2 pins on wires, if only one pin hits/sticks to you then it'd have no effect either

Just now, Ribble said:

basically it's ungrounded so that the electricity only travels between the 2 points of the taser, so for police style tasers that fire 2 pins on wires, if only one pin hits/sticks to you then it'd have no effect either

👍

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

How does that work then?

two electrodes (the two wires that you see on tv shows being shot into people), the shock travels between them rather than discharging through the rest of the body

Just now, milky_26 said:

two electrodes (the two wires that you see on tv shows being shot into people), the shock travels between them rather than discharging through the rest of the body

👍

Dick Dastardly
On 30/08/2023 at 12:45, Smithee said:

Everything needs to be engineered further. Brickies are just sitting back, resting on their laurels. Innovation is king. 

15 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Everything needs to be engineered further. Brickies are just sitting back, resting on their laurels. Innovation is king. 

Indeed. The earliest bricks to be found were made before 7500 BC and how much have we changed them since then. It's a disgrace. Closed shop, imo.

On 30/08/2023 at 12:09, Dick Dastardly said:

Why aren't all bricks designed like lego bricks? 

Some blocks are designed like that the recycling yard I work in use them to make bays for different materials.

1 minute ago, maybolejambo said:

Some blocks are designed like that the recycling yard I work in use them to make bays for different materials.

Screenshot_20230904_074030_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b42167ebc8cf2a9a2f4dda473efbfcac.jpg

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, maybolejambo said:

At least someone has sense! 😂 😂 

I P Knightley

Right. I haven't ALWAYS wondered this but I certainly haven't been bothered finding out.

I keep on getting this tune into my head. It's definitely an instrumental piece and could be predominantly piano with a strings accompaniment.

It goes:

Daah di daa da da daa; Daaah di daa di daa

Diddle, diddle diddle diddle diddle dum

(Rum pum rum pum rum pum rum pum rum pum rum pum pum

diddle iddle iddle iddle - twice) (that bit could be strings but it might actually be brass)

Then it repeats before going

Pa pa pa pa pa pa pa pa pa pa pa pa pa

(diddle iddle iddle iddle)

Which also repeats.

Now, I've been wondering whether that's the them tune to the BBC TV series from the '70s, All Creatures Great and Small.

If it is, why the heck does it keep playing in my head. I haven't seen or heard it since the 1970s (maybe '80s).

If you know the tune, can you check whether my rendition of it fits the bill?

been here before
39 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Right. I haven't ALWAYS wondered this but I certainly haven't been bothered finding out.

I keep on getting this tune into my head. It's definitely an instrumental piece and could be predominantly piano with a strings accompaniment.

It goes:

diddle iddle iddle iddle - twice) (that bit could be strings but it might actually be brass)

Which also repeats.

Now, I've been wondering whether that's the them tune to the BBC TV series from the '70s, All Creatures Great and Small.

If it is, why the heck does it keep playing in my head. I haven't seen or heard it since the 1970s (maybe '80s).

Its this, famously written in morse code spelling out Some Mothers Do Ave Em:

Edited by been here before

I P Knightley
34 minutes ago, been here before said:

Its this, famously written in morse code spelling out Some Mothers Do Ave Em:

Very different. SMDAE doesn't, to the best off my knowledge, have strings or brass doing the rum pum rum pum bit. 

Mine's quite a jaunty, flowing piece, almost classical. SMDAE is quite quirky. 

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

It goes:

Which also repeats.

Sounds legit...

I P Knightley
19 minutes ago, Boof said:

Sounds legit...

YouTube feels like cheating. 

Even if it is the right tune, you haven't explained what it's doing in my head. 

been here before
39 minutes ago, Boof said:

Sounds legit...

Nah its not that, its Frank Spencer.

IPK just doesnt realise he's got it wrong.

been here before
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

It goes:

Which also repeats.

It's this comedy classic starring world famous Hearts fan and diminutive Ronnie:

56 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It's the harvesty time of year. You're associating the smells that you experience now with your younger days when you'd settle down of a Sunday evening to watch ACGAS as the nights are just beginning to draw in after an afternoon bike ride in the countryside.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, been here before said:

It's this comedy classic starring world famous Hearts fan and diminutive Ronnie:

Couldn't be that. I never, ever watched that show. 

YouTube feels like cheating. 

I'm guessing you've had that tune in your head since just after 3 pm on Sunday afternoon.  It's hard to explain, but probably similar to this...

I P Knightley
11 hours ago, been here before said:

Nah its not that, its Frank Spencer.

IPK just doesnt realise he's got it wrong.

I'm afraid to admit that, against my better judgement, I listened to both yours and Boof's suggestions. 

Clever though it is, Frank Spencer is too jaunty and quirky to have been the tune playing in my head and Boof has confirmed that my initial suspicion was spot on. Perhaps my description of which instruments were involved could have been misleading - it's far more piano-centric than I remembered. 

I still have absolutely no idea why that tune should have found its way into my sub-conscious, though. 

Boof's lovely, nostalgic suggestion ain't going to work. I'm in West London, far from the summer smells of the harvest - unless you count me taking a handful of raspberries of the canes in my back garden each day as a 'harvest'?

10 hours ago, Boof said:

It's the harvesty time of year. You're associating the smells that you experience now with your younger days when you'd settle down of a Sunday evening to watch ACGAS as the nights are just beginning to draw in after an afternoon bike ride in the countryside.

I'm afraid to admit that, against my better judgement, I listened to both yours and Boof's suggestions. 

Clever though it is, Frank Spencer is too jaunty and quirky to have been the tune playing in my head and Boof has confirmed that my initial suspicion was spot on. Perhaps my description of which instruments were involved could have been misleading - it's far more piano-centric than I remembered. 

I still have absolutely no idea why that tune should have found its way into my sub-conscious, though. 

I'd have to say, the dum daaah diddle bits you'd posted were pretty spot-onnish.

Boof's lovely, nostalgic suggestion ain't going to work. I'm in West London, far from the summer smells of the harvest - unless you count me taking a handful of raspberries of the canes in my back garden each day as a 'harvest'?

Alternatively - we're approaching muck-spreading time. Any turd-infested rivers nearby?

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Boof said:

I'd have to say, the dum daaah diddle bits you'd posted were pretty spot-onnish.

Alternatively - we're approaching muck-spreading time. Any turd-infested rivers nearby?

Those piano lessons my parents forced me into haven't been completely pointless. 'kin hated them at the time - why would I want to learn scales and how to play Scottish reels and jigs of a wee auld wifie near Harrison Park? If they'd started me with Beatles songs or the intro to Getting In Tune by The Who, I might have found myself touring with the E-Street Band. 

I took a very different approach with the young Knightleys and they actually enjoyed it until they got to the age when it just wasn't cool to be seen enjoying playing quite proficiently. 

Out local turd-infested river tends to pick up quite a lot of engine oil from the light industrial estate a mile or two upstream. It works out cheaper to dispose of changed engine oil that way than to have it safely and cleanly removed.