The all new "seethe" thread

cosanostra

8 hours ago, leginten said:

There should be a special place in hell for people who write “outwith” as two separate words. Epidemic proportions now.

:nojustno:

Microsoft word spell check flags up red when outwith is done as 1 word, really gets on my thrupennys. 

• Replies 20.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Harry Potter

• iantjambo

• IronJambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, superjack said:

Microsoft word spell check flags up red when outwith is done as 1 word, really gets on my thrupennys. 

Right Click > Add to Dictionary.

Never have that problem again :thumbsup: 

I P Knightley

Car boot lids.

Since when did human evolution get to the point that we need electronic assistance to close the boot of a car?

I can just about cope with having electric boot closing for a big MPV for when the driver is a tiny wee person who couldn't reach the edge of the boot lid to close it - although Mrs Knightley's only 5'3" and coped fine with our VW MPV thing.

Walking the dog yesterday and I watched a fully grown man get something out of the boot of a Porsche coupe (Taycanne??) and stand there for 10 seconds while the lower than waist high boot lid slowly shut. Twat.

It seems far more impractical than helpful to me. For instance, if you were abducting a person in a conventional car, you'd chuck them in the boot and slam down the lid. In one with an electrically assisted lid, you'd have to hold them down while the boot slowly closed and hope that they don't manage to kick their leg out once you've got out of the way of the boot lid (I assume that safety dictates that these things have some kind of pressure sensor that stops them closing if there is some resistance). In short, this technology is endagering lives as would-be abductors are more likely to kill their victims to prevent the hassle of making sure the boot lid shuts without impediment.

Can't believe no one's thought of that before.

Edited by I P Knightley

henrysmithsgloves
10 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Car boot lids.

Since when did human evolution get to the point that we need electronic assistance to close the boot of a car?

I can just about cope with having electric boot closing for a big MPV for when the driver is a tiny wee person who couldn't reach the edge of the boot lid to close it - although Mrs Knightley's only 5'3" and coped fine with our VW MPV thing.

Walking the dog yesterday and I watched a fully grown man get something out of the boot of a Porsche coupe (Taycanne??) and stand there for 10 seconds while the lower than waist high boot lid slowly shut. Twat.

It seems far more impractical than helpful to me. For instance, if you were abducting a person in a conventional car, you'd chuck them in the boot and slam down the lid. In one with an electrically assisted lid, you'd have to hold them down while the boot slowly closed and hope that they don't manage to kick their leg out once you've got out of the way of the boot lid (I assume that safety dictates that these things have some kind of pressure sensor that stops them closing if there is some resistance). In short, this technology is endagering lives as would-be abductors are more likely to kill their victims to prevent the hassle of making sure the boot lid shuts without impediment.

There's one of a Toyota tailgate malfunction, it's like a great white snapping away👍🤣 can't find it,so here's another video.....

William H. Bonney
11 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Car boot lids.

Digressing slightly but there's a great car chase in too old to die young (tv series) that involves an electric car running out of power in the desert,  whilst being pursued. 

Wouldn't have happened in your bog standard petrol motor. 

16 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Car boot lids.

when you have your hands full, either trying to load your boot or after you have emptied your boot. being able to wave your foot to open or shut it means you dont need to put what you are carrying down

37 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Car boot lids.

I said the same thing to a salesman at Arnold Clark when outlining my preferences in buying a new car. I’d much rather kill potential victims in my own time than be dictated to by a piece of technology like that. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, William H. Bonney said:

Digressing slightly but there's a great car chase in too old to die young (tv series) that involves an electric car running out of power in the desert,  whilst being pursued. 

Wouldn't have happened in your bog standard petrol motor. 

I've seen many a movie where a petrol-fuelled car runs short of fuel during a chase or at some other climactic point. The correct action for the driver to take at this point is to slap the instrument binnacle (a word I've never written before today) and repeatedly turn the ignition key while pumping the 'gas' pedal furiously. You can't do that in one of your fancy electric cars, can you?

1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

I said the same thing to a salesman at Arnold Clark when outlining my preferences in buying a new car. I’d much rather kill potential victims in my own time than be dictated to by a piece of technology like that. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I mean, what if you want to torture your abductee for some vital information but your only option is to pop a cap in his ass to stop him preventing the boot from closing?

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

when you have your hands full, either trying to load your boot or after you have emptied your boot. being able to wave your foot to open or shut it means you dont need to put what you are carrying down

Yet, somehow, humankind survived 100+ years of motorised transport with out anyone ever dying because they had to put a bag down before shutting the boot or, perish the thought, using their elbow to close the boot.

Edited by I P Knightley

Fort Kinnaird, 2 Irish bruisers in white van stopping folk asking if they wanna buy a telly, some poor buggers house probably just been tanned...

It's been a ****ing tough weekend, lost one mate to suicide on Friday night and another has been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma today, kind of puts the petty squabbles on here into perspective.

Just now, jonesy said:

:( 

Sorry to hear that, bud. 

I'm sure you've got good folk around you, but feel free to PM if you ever need to let off steam or ramble. Losing mates or seeing them struggle is never easy.

👍

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

It's been a ****ing tough weekend, lost one mate to suicide on Friday night and another has been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma today, kind of puts the petty squabbles on here into perspective.

awful news..  Hope your baring up  👍

13 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

awful news..  Hope your baring up  👍

Aye thanks, still a bit numb but not as bad as the families involved, truly tragic for all of them.

Edited by Dawnrazor

30 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Aye thanks, still a bit numb but not as bad as the families involved, truly tragic for all of them.

No bother. Suicide in particular is an awful way to die.  Leaves so many unanswered questions for those left behind.  A cousin of mine committed suicide and we were all shocked as well as extremely upset.  

22 hours ago, jonesy said:

Michael Smith and Liam Boyce out making up the shortfall in Rowles' wages.

😃

Smith selling telly's instead of jerseys...🤔

On 17/01/2023 at 16:26, Dawnrazor said:

God, it's unimaginable to receive news like that.   So many people are affected by the shock of a single suicide.  I hope you can muddle through as best you can - don't be afraid to reach out to one of the support phonelines if you feel the need.  👍

Does anyone actually need an explanation about what inflation is ?   :wallbash:

BBC journalists seem to have been told to pander to dafties by over-explaining things - maybe part of their "inclusiveness" drive.   Radio Scotland GMS yesterday had a report on the unexpected "good news" that inflation had fallen from from 10.7%  in November to 10.5% in December.   The reporter said this was due to "falling prices", and that economists are forecasting that inflation will be around 4% by the end of the year if "prices continue to fall"

:facepalm:     

Admittedly, fuel prices had started to fall slowly recently - but is still way above what it was in December 2021.

But it seems the BBC consider the concept of a rolling 12-month measure to be too difficult  a concept for listeners to understand. 

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

BBC journalists seem to have been told to pander to dafties by over-explaining things - maybe part of their "inclusiveness" drive.   Radio Scotland GMS yesterday had a report on the unexpected "good news" that inflation had fallen from from 10.7%  in November to 10.5% in December.   The reporter said this was due to "falling prices", and that economists are forecasting that inflation will be around 4% by the end of the year if "prices continue to fall"

Admittedly, fuel prices had started to fall slowly recently - but is still way above what it was in December 2021.

But it seems the BBC consider the concept of a rolling 12-month measure to be too difficult  a concept for listeners to understand. 

Don't know if you know the band Bob Vylan, they won something at the 2022 Mobos.

Anyway, they've got this song, GDP, the chorus goes;

The BBC

Are talking about the GDP

That means **** all to me

I don't remember the circumstances, but someone at the BBC tweeted a reply to them saying Point taken, we'll explain better.

Basically, I think this is for the benefit of the yoot

7 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Have you met people?

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/news/edinburgh-first-capital-city-europe-endorse-plant-based-treaty/

This to me is all about the CeC wanting to be seen as being on trend! They have an £80m budget deficit to manage, a loss making vanity tram they are obsessed with expanding, LEZs when most people lack the financial resources to finance  buying a complaint car and their latest consultation on extending the 20mph limit! Get on with the day job and repair pavements & roads; sort out the litter problem and most of all listen to the people of Edinburgh not small groups with a vested interest.

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I love the vegans. 

More meat for the rest of us. 

Have you seen vegans? Not much meat on them

Edited by milky_26

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Trans vegan unionists would break this board. 

Wearing Greta Thunberg masks.

:sweeet:

On 17/01/2023 at 12:43, OBE said:

Fort Kinnaird, 2 Irish bruisers in white van stopping folk asking if they wanna buy a telly, some poor buggers house probably just been tanned...

A box full of bricks, to be sure, to be sure.

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

How do you know someone is a vegan?

Because they’ll tell you within the first minute. 

An old one...what do vegan worms eat

Spoiler

Linda McCartney 😳😳🤔

47 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

An old one...what do vegan worms eat

Hide contents

Linda McCartney 😳😳🤔

🤣🤣🤣

Spitonastranger
4 hours ago, jonesy said:

How do you know someone is a vegan?

Because they’ll tell you within the first minute. 

Like the people who immediatley responded with meat answers :clyay:

Spitonastranger
8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Charming. Assume you follow a vegan diet? Glad to see it's not impacting on your ability to be judgemental.

Anyway, cool. hope it works well for you. I come from a family with a history of vegetarianism that goes back to the early C20 and myself adopt a vegan diet during lent and find it quite refreshing. Not something I would choose to do full-time for various lifestyle, health and pleasure reasons.

Quite why public money has to be spent promoting a fringe-extremist lifestyle choice that requires factory-produced supplements to be effective is beyond me.

Reminds me of the vegan advertising on buses, trying to guilt folk into giving up meat. If that's how you win arguments, you've already lost.

You keep eating the food that my food eats and we're going to have issues.

PS Is your username taken from the Pavement song?

Humour bypass and yes Pavement, you like them 

Spitonastranger
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I traded in my SoH when I got married. Got a smashing quantity of cynicism and regret in return... Apologies!

Quite liked Pavement back in the day, but saw Chris Thile play a lovely cover of SoaS at his concert in Glasgow last November. This is him with Nickel Creek doing that song. Nice cover.

Ended up digging out the Pavement CDs when I got home and enjoyed listening to them all over again.

Nice cover, not heard that before. I have went through the whole getting their cassettes to CD's and recently bought all the albums on vinyl, wife no happy. Enjoy listening to them again 

Some folk (like Piers Morgan, Jeremy Clarkson and Gordon Ramsay) have strange reactions to Vegans.

As if someone else not eating meat is somehow an open attack on you, your culture and your manhood.

And that eating meat is somehow a display of alpha masculinity.

Bizarre behaviour.

I'd not go full vegan because I like wearing leather boots and eating bacon rolls.

But I am cutting back my meat consumption.

Not for any kind of moral or ethical reasons, but mostly for economic and food quality reasons, as well as environmental ones.

Most mass produced meat is tasteless shite, pumped full of water to increase the sale weight.
As cheap as that crap is, I can get cheaper protein from pulses, grains, seeds and nuts.
I often prefer a falafel burger to a beef one. Or a chick pea curry over a chicken one.

Poor quality meat is a waste of money. I'd rather spend a bit more on a smaller but higher quality bit of meat and add some other proteins to the dish to bulk it out if needs be.
The environmental impact of modern meat production is huge too.
Around 1/3 of arable land is used to pasture animals on.
1/3 more is used to grow crops dedicated to feeding those animals.

Only about 1/3 of arable land is used to grow crops for human consumption.

Animals also need a vast amount of water. And produce vast quantities of waste liquids, solids and gases.
The less said about the conditions that intensively reared poultry and pork animals endure, the better. Standards are so low that they may as well not exist. 

But if everybody suddenly went Vegan then all those animals would be destroyed.
They can't be freed to live in the wild. There's not enough available wild food to sustain them and centuries of selective breeding have made them fully reliant on human husbandry to survive. They'd all die very soon after being released.
So all the intensively farmed breeds would very quickly go extinct, either from the mass liquidation cull or by very quickly dying in the wild.

I wear leather shoes and love bacon rolls and the odd medium-rare steak.

I also enjoy vegan foods.

A balance can be found.

Demand better quality meat produced in a more environmentally friendly way.

il Duce McTarkin
39 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Charming. Assume you follow a vegan diet? Glad to see it's not impacting on your ability to be judgemental.

He's one of those right-on, nationalist-seperatists that is so woke that they think it's acceptable to wish cancer on folk who have the nerve to hold a different opinion.

Shite taste in music too.

henrysmithsgloves
3 hours ago, Spitonastranger said:

More cancer and bad health for you also :scenes:

You actually seen the stuff that's used in plant growing 😳 it's almost as bad as meat, plus no matter how healthy you are,some folk have a genetic fault that leads to cancer...that I can assure you on🥺

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Some folk (like Piers Morgan, Jeremy Clarkson and Gordon Ramsay) have strange reactions to Vegans.

As if someone else not eating meat is somehow an open attack on you, your culture and your manhood.

And that eating meat is somehow a display of alpha masculinity.

Bizarre behaviour.

I'd not go full vegan because I like wearing leather boots and eating bacon rolls.

But I am cutting back my meat consumption.

Not for any kind of moral or ethical reasons, but mostly for economic and food quality reasons, as well as environmental ones.

Most mass produced meat is tasteless shite, pumped full of water to increase the sale weight.
As cheap as that crap is, I can get cheaper protein from pulses, grains, seeds and nuts.
I often prefer a falafel burger to a beef one. Or a chick pea curry over a chicken one.

Poor quality meat is a waste of money. I'd rather spend a bit more on a smaller but higher quality bit of meat and add some other proteins to the dish to bulk it out if needs be.
The environmental impact of modern meat production is huge too.
Around 1/3 of arable land is used to pasture animals on.
1/3 more is used to grow crops dedicated to feeding those animals.

Only about 1/3 of arable land is used to grow crops for human consumption.

Animals also need a vast amount of water. And produce vast quantities of waste liquids, solids and gases.
The less said about the conditions that intensively reared poultry and pork animals endure, the better. Standards are so low that they may as well not exist. 

But if everybody suddenly went Vegan then all those animals would be destroyed.
They can't be freed to live in the wild. There's not enough available wild food to sustain them and centuries of selective breeding have made them fully reliant on human husbandry to survive. They'd all die very soon after being released.
So all the intensively farmed breeds would very quickly go extinct, either from the mass liquidation cull or by very quickly dying in the wild.

I wear leather shoes and love bacon rolls and the odd medium-rare steak.

I also enjoy vegan foods.

A balance can be found.

Demand better quality meat produced in a more environmentally friendly way.

Imagine the amount off methane produced if everyone went vegan👀

Spitonastranger
4 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

You actually seen the stuff that's used in plant growing 😳 it's almost as bad as meat, plus no matter how healthy you are,some folk have a genetic fault that leads to cancer...that I can assure you on🥺

It was meant as partly a joke, it failed 😔

1 minute ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Imagine the amount off methane produced if everyone went vegan👀

I would be extremely difficult to eat a vegan diet in the UK without bringing in tons of food from abroad and all the air miles and pollution that entails plus the environmental damage caused in areas through deforestation to grow crops, it's not just meat production that is damaging.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I would be extremely difficult to eat a vegan diet in the UK without bringing in tons of food from abroad and all the air miles and pollution that entails plus the environmental damage caused in areas through deforestation to grow crops, it's not just meat production that is damaging.

See the stats in my earlier post.

Only around 1/3 of farmable land grows food for humans.

1/3 houses animals, the final third grows crops to feed these animals. If every field was nothing but human food crops we'd easily be able to feed everybody.

henrysmithsgloves
2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm a believer in moderation 😁

henrysmithsgloves
1 minute ago, Cade said:

1/3 houses animals, the final third grows crops to feed these animals. If every field was nothing but human food crops we'd easily be able to feed everybody.

What about all the food that goes to waste currently?? You would think supermarkets etc. should get a grip on that first

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

A  bit misleading though, farmers grow what they can grow in their area, poor quality soils and adverse weather conditions dictate what is grown, a huge amount of land is grazed by animals, that is true but that's because in most of these areas grass is pretty much all that grows, no food for humans could be grown there, there are no crops grown in my area, grass is what grows and that's converted into meat because that's pretty much what works, and ultimately, pays.

The choice of food for a vegan diet would also be limited as due to what can grown in the UK, again due to soil and weather.

10 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

What about all the food that goes to waste currently?? You would think supermarkets etc. should get a grip on that first

Too bloody right.

UK produces 9.5 million tonnes of food waste a year.

70% of that is households throwing out food.

16% is industry (food factories)
12% from the hospitality sector (restaurants, hotels)

3% from the retail sector. (supermarkets)

In total food worth £19 billion gets chucked in the bin.

6.4 million tonnes of the wasted food was edible at the time of disposal.

And that's just the food that made it off the farms.

33% or so of all produced food is rejected and disposed of on the farms and never even makes it to market.

Edited by Cade

On 20/01/2023 at 00:02, Lone Striker said:

https://www.openaccessgovernment.org/data-shows-62-adults-dont-understand-inflation/40304/

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Wow .....much bigger figure than I'd have  thought.    tbf, inflation has always been a one-dimensional sample stat which only gives a rough indication of how "average prices" have changed over 12 months.   Even for those who understand the concept, the figure produced each month by the ONS can often feel "wrong", if you live in remote areas dependant on long-distance transport e.g.  ferries.   Is the Fort William area  like that ?

The Radio Scotland guy made a hash of trying to explain it last week.    But the BBC News website has now produced a more accurate and simpler  explanation -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160

Cheers FWJ 👍

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Wow .....much bigger figure than I'd have  thought.    tbf, inflation has always been a one-dimensional sample stat which only gives a rough indication of how "average prices" have changed over 12 months.   Even for those who understand the concept, the figure produced each month by the ONS can often feel "wrong", if you live in remote areas dependant on long-distance transport e.g.  ferries.   Is the Fort William area  like that ?

The Radio Scotland guy made a hash of trying to explain it last week.    But the BBC News website has now produced a more accurate and simpler  explanation -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160

Cheers FWJ 👍

Ft William’s only a couple of hours from Glasgow so it’s not as bad as places further north - petrol & diesel are a couple of pence more than in Edinburgh etc but the real issue for many is that there’s no mains gas in FW (don’t know why) so people have to rely on electric or gas / oil tanks.

One of the interesting things about the inflation rate recently is how the ‘budget’ or everyday foodstuffs in supermarkets have been going up faster than others - impacting more on those who depend on them.

There’s also that statistical quirk where prices could double overnight  - inflation would be 100% - but a year later it would be back to 1 or 2%.  Prices would still be twice what they were 13 months previously though.

10 minutes ago, FWJ said:

There’s also that statistical quirk where prices could double overnight  - inflation would be 100% - but a year later it would be back to 1 or 2%.  Prices would still be twice what they were 13 months previously though.

👍yep - thats an extreme example which illustrates very well how the  inflation figure can be used for political purposes.  Apparently Rishi has asked us to judge him on delivering 4 things by the end of the year, one of which is "halving the inflation rate".   

Edited by Lone Striker

SectionDJambo
22 hours ago, Cade said:

Too bloody right.

UK produces 9.5 million tonnes of food waste a year.

70% of that is households throwing out food.

16% is industry (food factories)
12% from the hospitality sector (restaurants, hotels)

3% from the retail sector. (supermarkets)

In total food worth £19 billion gets chucked in the bin.

6.4 million tonnes of the wasted food was edible at the time of disposal.

And that's just the food that made it off the farms.

33% or so of all produced food is rejected and disposed of on the farms and never even makes it to market.

Your figures would suggest that the worst culprits for wasting food are the consumers, not the suppliers.

I was around in an era where „best before“ and „use by“ dates weren’t on food and drinks products. Everyone got by just fine as I recall. You examined food for quality not a date printed on it.

Could it be that too many people think that a foodstuff even approaching it’s bbd is off or bad, when it’s still could be absolutely fine, depending on how it’s been kept in the home. Too much information for people sometimes?
Something that is good to eat at a minute to midnight doesn’t go bad at a minute past midnight.

17 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Your figures would suggest that the worst culprits for wasting food are the consumers, not the suppliers.

I was around in an era where „best before“ and „use by“ dates weren’t on food and drinks products. Everyone got by just fine as I recall. You examined food for quality not a date printed on it.

Could it be that too many people think that a foodstuff even approaching it’s bbd is off or bad, when it’s still could be absolutely fine, depending on how it’s been kept in the home. Too much information for people sometimes?
Something that is good to eat at a minute to midnight doesn’t go bad at a minute past midnight.

I think that a huge proportion of people are so far removed from the production of their food they've come to expect certain things, things like perfectly straight carrots, eggs of a certain colour etc and supermarkets in particular have been responsible for it.

How many people now grow there own veg? Catch their own fish? See the animals where their meat comes from?