The all new "seethe" thread

cosanostra

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I think that a huge proportion of people are so far removed from the production of their food they've come to expect certain things, things like perfectly straight carrots, eggs of a certain colour etc and supermarkets in particular have been responsible for it.

How many people now grow there own veg? Catch their own fish? See the animals where their meat comes from?

I used to manage a unit which rehabilitated young adults that had mental health issues.

Key word is young, I've had youngsters i had to teach how to peel a potato, never mind cook it, they have no experience of where food comes from.

• Replies 20.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Harry Potter

• iantjambo

• IronJambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Your figures would suggest that the worst culprits for wasting food are the consumers, not the suppliers.

I was around in an era where „best before“ and „use by“ dates weren’t on food and drinks products. Everyone got by just fine as I recall. You examined food for quality not a date printed on it.

Could it be that too many people think that a foodstuff even approaching it’s bbd is off or bad, when it’s still could be absolutely fine, depending on how it’s been kept in the home. Too much information for people sometimes?
Something that is good to eat at a minute to midnight doesn’t go bad at a minute past midnight.

Aye food doesn't instantly become a deadly toxin on the stroke of midnight on the date on the packet.
Your nose, eyes and fingers will tell you when something is actually inedible.

"best before" dates are a marketing gimmick, designed to make people throw stuff away so they buy more of it.
"use by" is actually something to pay attention to, as this can mean that the product can cause a dicky tummy if you consume it past that date, but again, your eyes, nose and sense of touch will be the final judge.

33% of all food grown is chucked out of the farm (supermarkets wont buy deformed veg for example)

70% of food sold is thrown out by households. So that's 70% of the 67% that got to market. Which works out at 46.9% of all food produced.

People need to be educated about food waste.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I think that a huge proportion of people are so far removed from the production of their food they've come to expect certain things, things like perfectly straight carrots, eggs of a certain colour etc and supermarkets in particular have been responsible for it.

How many people now grow there own veg? Catch their own fish? See the animals where their meat comes from?

There’s no doubt that supermarkets have significantly changed our way of life, and not always for the better.

The way people buy food is one of them.
Communication skills another, in my opinion, when people just pick items from shelves instead of asking over a counter and engaging in conversation with shopkeepers and fellow shoppers. That’s before local High Streets, which provided a local service and social interaction between neighbours, were decimated by them.

Pubs and Clubs another casualty of supermarkets. How many local drinking establishments are no longer open. 40 years ago who could have imagined so many pubs and clubs would close within that time?

2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

There’s no doubt that supermarkets have significantly changed our way of life, and not always for the better.

The way people buy food is one of them.
Communication skills another, in my opinion, when people just pick items from shelves instead of asking over a counter and engaging in conversation with shopkeepers and fellow shoppers. That’s before local High Streets, which provided a local service and social interaction between neighbours, were decimated by them.

Pubs and Clubs another casualty of supermarkets. How many local drinking establishments are no longer open. 40 years ago who could have imagined so many pubs and clubs would close within that time?

Yep, buy locally produced meat, game and veg wherever possible.

32 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

I used to manage a unit which rehabilitated young adults that had mental health issues.

Key word is young, I've had youngsters i had to teach how to peel a potato, never mind cook it, they have no experience of where food comes from.

It's a nation wide problem, we're as far removed from the sources of our food as people as a species have ever been, has this lead to the rise in vegetarianism and veganism?

I get a fruit&veg box delivered once a fortnight from a local farm.
Most of the veg has to have the mud washed off it. All shapes and sizes.

Never know what I'm getting other than the guaranteed spuds, onions and carrots.

The rest is just what's available that week.

Organic, local, seasonal and affordable.

8 minutes ago, Cade said:

Never know what I'm getting other than the guaranteed spuds, onions and carrots.

That's absolutely the way to go.

59 minutes ago, Cade said:

70% of food sold is thrown out by households. So that's 70% of the 67% that got to market. Which works out at 46.9% of all food produced.

People need to be educated about food waste.

Source please? I can't believe this figure; you're saying folks chuck out almost three quarters of teh stuff they buy to consune! :lol:

2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Source please? I can't believe this figure; you're saying folks chuck out almost three quarters of teh stuff they buy to consune! :lol:

you've misunderstood the stat. it is 70% of all food thrown out is done by households, not that households throw out 70% of the food they buy

25 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Wrong end of the stick.

Households are responsible for 70% of all wasted food.

About 1/3 of what they buy (by weight) goes in the bin.

Some of that (19%) is unavoidable things like tea bags, veg peelings, animal bones and egg shells.
Another 20% is food wasted due to preferences (such as bread crusts or potato skins which could have been eaten)

The remaining 61% of the waste was perfectly edible food.

So it's 61% of the 1/3 that gets thrown away.
Which works out at 20.3%.

So on average, each UK household throws out 20.3% of the perfectly edible food they buy.

Which is still far too high.

Folk moan about an extra penny on tax and they're chucking out 20% of the food they buy(!)

Edited by Cade

9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

you've misunderstood the stat. it is 70% of all food thrown out is done by households, not that households throw out 70% of the food they buy

Well okay if that what was meant but that's not how it has been written, and if it is then it's written in a way that is open to misinterpretation.

70% of food sold is thrown out by households.

Anyway, based on the definition of food waste that I very casually checked this morning, my twice/heck thrice weekly trip down the bottom of the street to chuck our compostables into the communal food waste bin, constistutes food waste!

3 hours ago, Cade said:

Yep, anything that directly supports local farms is a great idea, even if its a tad more expensive.   

Ever since we started buying various types of frozen veg, our food bin contents have visibly reduced.   Quite amazing to see what can be frozen nowadays - chopped onions, mushrooms, spinach, peppers etc - that can just be thrown into casseroles & soups.

I naively used to think frozen veg was not as good for you as fresh stuff - according to nutritionists though, the opposite is true  (with much less waste).     Win-win 👍  

The frozen spinach is the business.

One of they wee hockey pucks of frozen spinach is the same amount of spinach as in a whole bag of fresh stuff, once it's been wilted down.

Did you vote for this?

https://theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2023/01/council-plans-to-spend-1-billion-on-a-refreshed-active-travel-programme/

This part of Arthur's comments is very telling I think revealing that the consultations are a sham!

But it is important note that a consultation is really a form of local intelligence. It is not an opinion poll or a referendum.”

2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

It can all kinda be traced back to WW2 when the entire UK agriculture industry was nationalised and run at absolute maximum in order to produce enough food for the nation to survive.

That kind of hyper-intensive farming became the norm after the war ended and it's still what's being done today.

12 minutes ago, Cade said:

It can all kinda be traced back to WW2 when the entire UK agriculture industry was nationalised and run at absolute maximum in order to produce enough food for the nation to survive.

That kind of hyper-intensive farming became the norm after the war ended and it's still what's being done today.

Correct, at that time the intensification of agriculture was considered good land use, now it isn't, the agriculture subsidies were for decades geared towards maximisation of stock and crops leading to much of the environmental damage we saw, thankfully things have improved and environmental sub's are coming to the fore now, but people will always have to be fed and there are always going to be environmental impacts but things are changing.

I'm involved in managing a 2500 acre estate where I live, the owner took back half and has farmed it differently for the last three years, we're a high and wet farm so grass is all that grows, it's farmed now with a herd of pedigree Luing cattle, they live outside all year in all weathers so there's no electricity or water cost, we've used one and a half round bales of Hay for forty two head, they'd go through about forty two ton of food if they were housed in side for seven or so months. We use no fertiliser, no antibiotics, we cut the hay meadows once a year for hay and not three or four times for silage. We'll produce less food per acre than before but the quality is superior and the environmental benefits are really starting to show now. I'm not saying it's the way for every farm, but where there's space there  should be more places like ours.

Edited by Dawnrazor

25 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Correct, at that time the intensification of agriculture was considered good land use, now it isn't, the agriculture subsidies were for decades geared towards maximisation of stock and crops leading to much of the environmental damage we saw, thankfully things have improved and environmental sub's are coming to the fore now, but people will always have to be fed and there are always going to be environmental impacts but things are changing.

I'm involved in managing a 2500 acre estate where I live, the owner took back half and has farmed it differently for the last three years, we're a high and wet farm so grass is all that grows, it's farmed now with a herd of pedigree Luing cattle, they live outside all year in all weathers so there's no electricity or water cost, we've used one and a half round bales of Hay for forty two head, they'd go through about forty two ton of food if they were housed in side for seven or so months. We use no fertiliser, no antibiotics, we cut the hay meadows once a year for hay and not three or four times for silage. We'll produce less food per acre than before but the quality is superior and the environmental benefits are really starting to show now. I'm not saying it's the way for every farm, but where there's space there  should be more places like ours.

Sounds very efficient, razor. Employees-wise, have the numbers employed similarly dropped?

5 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Sounds very efficient, razor. Employees-wise, have the numbers employed similarly dropped?

Not really, I've taken over from what the tenant farmer would've done and he only had one part time man on, but this kind of low intensity farming would definitely have a negative impact on employment if it was adopted by more farms.

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Not really, I've taken over from what the tenant farmer would've done and he only had one part time man on, but this kind of low intensity farming would definitely have a negative impact on employment if it was adopted by more farms.

Sounds the life, actually.  Yeah, guess there's pros and cons as we move forward. Hard enough finding jobs in rural areas, keeping the younger generations around nevermind when an industry like argriculture is in a state of flux.

Just now, ArcticJambo said:

Sounds the life, actually.  Yeah, guess there's pros and cons as we move forward. Hard enough finding jobs in rural areas, keeping the younger generations around nevermind when an industry like argriculture is in a state of flux.

Farming has always been in a state of flux since I left school looking back, it has to constantly change to be viable, there will be inevitable job losses in some areas and gains in others. There's the "it's aye been" attitude in agricultural but some young folk I deal with definitely seem to be changing that attitude, many are doing other jobs along with working on the family farm. Ultimately it will be the finances that will dictate who survives, it that respect it's no different from other businesses. 

My wife loved coming to Britain for our food.  The fact we can buy eggs from the shelf not the refrigerator because we have no salmonella now for example.

We are just getting a chest freezer because she likes nothing better than the mark down stickers we get here if food is on its sell by date.

Ive no idea how they operate mark downs tbh, sometimes it seems to be 10%, sometimes they just label it at 25p, but if you have a perfectly good steak for 25p, Im all for her buying and freezing them instead of them being thrown out.

Jeffros Furios

Slateford Road to Shandon closed due to roadworks alternative routes are Harrison Road which has temp lights and 

Craiglockhart Avenue which has temp lights .. 

A journey which takes no longer than 45 mins took over 2hrs as the whole area is gridlocked .

Who the **** in the traffic management or whatever other bunch of dept  makes this shit up  !! 

10 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Slateford Road to Shandon closed due to roadworks alternative routes are Harrison Road which has temp lights and 

Craiglockhart Avenue which has temp lights .. 

A journey which takes no longer than 45 mins took over 2hrs as the whole area is gridlocked .

Who the **** in the traffic management or whatever other bunch of dept  makes this shit up  !! 

Mental traffic all through north Edinburgh this morning.  Lights for Duddingston Park crossing Milton Road go on for about 15 seconds :lol: big tailback there and it's basically a minor road/route. This type of nonsense all over the place.

If they were sensible they'd listen to neighbourhood groups who actually know their neigbourhoods and sort out the mess. Get traffic moving at the right times while still maintaining safety.

Hell, pay bus drivers better so they're there to actually drive the buses!

Waited 30 mins for a bus yesterday at half five, then three of the same service number came all at once! :lol:  Of course each bus had to wait behind the first one everytime at each stop down the route as the first bus took on passengers that had similarly been waiting for ages.  If you missed these three then you'll likely have had to wait 40 mins on the next one. utterly tragic!

On 27/01/2023 at 23:08, Cade said:

The frozen spinach is the business.

One of they wee hockey pucks of frozen spinach is the same amount of spinach as in a whole bag of fresh stuff, once it's been wilted down.

Popeye loves the stuff.

Dick Dastardly

The gaffer thread getting merged with the Robbie thread before i could finish the pictionary version of Do-re-mi. Utter seethe

Tested positive for Covid.

I don’t feel ill but I’ve got the worst cough I’ve ever had in my life. Can’t sleep because of it.

It’s doing my ******* head in 😡

SectionDJambo
On 04/02/2023 at 04:41, iantjambo said:

Tested positive for Covid.

I don’t feel ill but I’ve got the worst cough I’ve ever had in my life. Can’t sleep because of it.

It’s doing my ******* head in 😡

Same here. Don't feel too bad, but an annoying cough. 

You weren't coughing in the Wheatfield toilets on Saturday, were you? 😮

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

Same here. Don't feel too bad, but an annoying cough. 

You weren't coughing in the Wheatfield toilets on Saturday, were you? 😮

:whistling:

3 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Cyclists that tow young children behind them in those wee chariot things.

****ing rage.

:seething:

Should be illegal for safety reasons. The wee red flag fluttering in the wind ain't gonna help the bairn below the height of a boot or bonnet...crazy!

Got 2 protective metal posts in front  of the hoover machine at work, someone has hit one

so cant open the door to empty the hoover:facepalm:honestly that place is beyond belief.

il Duce McTarkin
7 minutes ago, OBE said:

Should be illegal for safety reasons. The wee red flag fluttering in the wind ain't gonna help the bairn below the height of a boot or bonnet...crazy!

Saw one this morning on Lanark Road that didnae even have the wee red flag on it. Couple of wee lassies huddled together at car bumper height behind some thoughtless **** that needs a stiff kicking for playing roulette with the lives of his children.

By all means, take your own life in your hands amongst the rivers of fast moving metal, but for ****s sake, don't needlessly put the bairns at risk.

Every time I see one of those, almost universally posho wankers, I want to run over and knock the **** clean out.

22 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Saw one this morning on Lanark Road that didnae even have the wee red flag on it. Couple of wee lassies huddled together at car bumper height behind some thoughtless **** that needs a stiff kicking for playing roulette with the lives of his children.

By all means, take your own life in your hands amongst the rivers of fast moving metal, but for ****s sake, don't needlessly put the bairns at risk.

Every time I see one of those, almost universally posho wankers, I want to run over and knock the **** clean out.

What baffles me is, both parents must condone this mode of transport, wtf? If the wife ever had proposed this mode of transport for the bairns, I'd've suggested, right hen, in the basket you get and we'll take a wee cycle through Mussy during rush hour, misnomer if ever there was...

il Duce McTarkin
15 minutes ago, OBE said:

What baffles me is, both parents must condone this mode of transport, wtf? If the wife ever had proposed this mode of transport for the bairns, I'd've suggested, right hen, in the basket you get and we'll take a wee cycle through Mussy during rush hour, misnomer if ever there was...

Last year I saw a couple of reckless, right-on, posh-wank, arseholes ON A ****ING TANDEM towing their kids up Comiston Road in heavy traffic. Seethe doesn't cover it.

It should have been well within my rights to perform a citizens arrest and telephone social services there and then (after administering a thoroughly good beating first, obviously).

:seething:

il Duce McTarkin
38 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m pretty sure, I know those posh wank arseholes.

You swim in murky waters, LBJ. :(

39 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

My boy has a disdain for him and other members of his family, which is up there with yours for catholics 😉

Would probably PM you address, if good kicking, dished out 😂

If your laddie wands to tag along I have a spare balaclava, although he'll need to bring his own tools.

Currently sitting in a cafe having a coffee . Can still hear an arsehole talking really loud , I had moved seats due to this . Why do people do this ? And why don’t their friends tell them? I am about 70 foot from him and can hear everything . Oh and American ! Ditto same as people on their phone on the bud speaking ti people on loud speaker 

3 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

When did "fcuk up" become a thing, rage inducing for your correspondent, anyone using this can *** off...

First noticed it from weegie pals a few years ago. Makes no sense. 

16 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Currently sitting in a cafe having a coffee . Can still hear an arsehole talking really loud , I had moved seats due to this . Why do people do this ? And why don’t their friends tell them? I am about 70 foot from him and can hear everything . Oh and American ! Ditto same as people on their phone on the bud speaking ti people on loud speaker 

Had one at the mother in laws birthday meal, mr loud never stopped yapping during our meal, obviously in love with his own voice🤔, beyond me.

On 12/02/2023 at 07:23, Harry Potter said:

Had one at the mother in laws birthday meal, mr loud never stopped yapping during our meal, obviously in love with his own voice🤔, beyond me.

Did my brain in . I go to those places to have a chilled time not listen to a loud mouth moron 

Playing football last night at 9pm, and caught a stray arm in the face.  Accidental, but got whacked right in the bridge of my nose.  No bleeding, no nothing.  Felt a bit dazed but there was only 15 minutes left so just got on with it and ran it off, but it was quite sore.  Got home and it was a little bit swollen and tender, but not really that bad.

Wake up this morning, and my face is purple, my eyes are black, and my nose is visibly off centre and swollen.  What the actual ****?

Rang the GP who had a look at it, and they confirmed it's broken and will likely need reset.  Referred me to the ENT department, and said you're lucky you didn't go to A&E last night because you'd have still been waiting there now with the wait times they have at the minute.

How can you break your nose, and not have it pishing with blood? :lol:

But seriously, :seething:

19 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Playing football last night at 9pm, and caught a stray arm in the face.  Accidental, but got whacked right in the bridge of my nose.  No bleeding, no nothing.  Felt a bit dazed but there was only 15 minutes left so just got on with it and ran it off, but it was quite sore.  Got home and it was a little bit swollen and tender, but not really that bad.

Wake up this morning, and my face is purple, my eyes are black, and my nose is visibly off centre and swollen.  What the actual ****?

Rang the GP who had a look at it, and they confirmed it's broken and will likely need reset.  Referred me to the ENT department, and said you're lucky you didn't go to A&E last night because you'd have still been waiting there now with the wait times they have at the minute.

How can you break your nose, and not have it pishing with blood? :lol:

But seriously, :seething:

Hope the stray arm dude got sent off😏.