Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

I genuinely think it's a shame that people have been manipulated to think that some sort of political utopia exists out there and that Scotland will be the first country to find the formula.

I don't know anyone that thinks that. I think a lot of people think we could get a fairer society by shifting full power to Holyrood. I also know a lot of raspers that vote based on William Wallace and Glasgow Rangers but that's another story.

The Future's Maroon

Was going to abstain. Genuinely couldn't make my mind up until about half 8 tonight. Eventually made my decision.

Strap in and hold tight everybody. This could get bumpy.

Haven't said to anyone, on here or in 'normal' life what I was thinking...which was mainly a No vote, however the last few days I was starting to lean towards Yes but I think that was more the heart ruling the head...so, in the end I did abstain and didn't vote at all because I genuinely couldn't decide.

I genuinely think it's a shame that people have been manipulated to think that some sort of political utopia exists out there and that Scotland will be the first country to find the formula.

you could be right. But if it is yes and goes tits up I cant see myself wishing id voted no. But I think I would've always regretted not voting yes if I had gone no

What's the deal with the prices at the bookies? What could they be basing that on considering every outlet seems to think too close to call?

That's what I don't understand. The odds don't seem to tie in with the opinion polls

CNN's a punchline over here these days. Absolute shadow of its former self.

I'll sock in on 52% Yes - 48% No on absolutely no information.

I don't know anyone that thinks that. I think a lot of people think we could get a fairer society by shifting full power to Holyrood. I also know a lot of raspers that vote based on William Wallace and Glasgow Rangers but that's another story.

I know someone whose sole reason for voting yes was because he was sick of the "huns" singing God save the Queen. Democracy eh!

jambos are go!

In Florida on a family visit. Should know the outcome before I go to bed and then home tomorrow.

Whoever wins remember 'Gloatin' ain't pretty'. The sage advice given to George Bush Senior by his mother

What's the deal with the prices at the bookies? What could they be basing that on considering every outlet seems to think too close to call?

Betfair is a betting Exchange so the price is related only to the money being put on. Peeps factor in two things over the Polls: first the Quebec effect, i..e Undecideds tend to err on the side of no change. Second the "shy No" effect, i.e. people say Yes to the Pollsters but vote No in reality.

Still though - the count of postal votes has only just started.

What determines a fairer society?

Every country in the world has poverty to some extent for an example - how can an independent Scottish parliament solve poverty?

Why was social justice continually mentioned when that concept doesn't appear in the white paper?

Edited by Jammy T

The Future's Maroon

No doubt it'll have been mentioned in this thread already but something I find VERY suspect about this whole vote....its pencils they supply to cast your vote and that IF I had wanted to I could have turned up and gave anyones (of the same sex obv) name and address and cast a vote, or seeing as I didnt someone could have went up with my name and address and cast an extra vote without my knowledge.

Yes they are. They are counted by machine, tonight is just the recount for verification.

Thought the machine was just used to verify the signatures rather than count the votes?

Yes they are. They are counted by machine, tonight is just the recount for verification.

You sure? I thought they were only verified before, but the count starts tonight. Any links to the process?

Sterling Archer

Rumours that the Postal Vote showed a comfortable No victory.

Wouldn't be a surprise.

Old people use postal vote

Old people prefer no

I'm one of those people who keeps their vote in anything to themselves if asked.

Interestingly anytime I've been asked today and declined to answer the instant reaction from people has been "so a no voter then"

I think a lot of people predicting a yes have been fooled by people being so vocal about it and not noticed the amount of people keeping their peace.

Stuart McNeill

postal votes have been opened before ten but not counted.

the ones that have been sampled have favoured the No vote and they count for up to 18% of the votes.

also the count has started.

Wouldn't be a surprise.

Old people use postal vote

Old people prefer no

Is there a general trend for the "type" of people who use a postal vote? Apart from people who work far from home or unpredictable shifts, etc.

I'm one of those people who keeps their vote in anything to themselves if asked.

Interestingly anytime I've been asked today and declined to answer the instant reaction from people has been "so a no voter then"

I think a lot of people predicting a yes have been fooled by people being so vocal about it and not noticed the amount of people keeping their peace.

Exactly. Beware the silent minority.

Surely the same could be said about No voters assuming the people not saying are No voters as well though.

No doubt it'll have been mentioned in this thread already but something I find VERY suspect about this whole vote....its pencils they supply to cast your vote and that IF I had wanted to I could have turned up and gave anyones (of the same sex obv) name and address and cast a vote, or seeing as I didnt someone could have went up with my name and address and cast an extra vote without my knowledge.

But the person who you would have impersonated would have either had to not vote or miraculously decided to impersonate either you or a non-voter. Very difficult to predict and easy enough to get rumbled I'd have thought.

Haha seen this all over facebook today. This is going to be the Yes campaign first excuse! " they rubbed our votes out"

You sure? I thought they were only verified before, but the count starts tonight. Any links to the process?

The postal votes are in but are not counted officially until after 10pm...............however 'sampling' of the votes has been done and some people know what those samples showed............now did all of those people keep quiet re the results ?......maybe the bookies know which way the wind was blowing from these 'samples'

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Weird how it's gone in just 45 minutes without a single declaration - from too close to call to seemingly certain No victory. Is it even going to be close? :lol:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Weird how it's gone in just 45 minutes without a single declaration - from too close to call to seemingly certain No victory. Is it even going to be close? :lol:

Awaiting the :conspiracy: chat.

Just saw the YouGov pseudo-Exit Poll. By recontacting voters its no surprise they get the same answers - those voters already indicated they were highly unlikely to change so no surprise here. Its voters not on YouGov panels that will determine the real results.

The postal votes are in but are not counted officially until after 10pm...............however 'sampling' of the votes has been done and some people know what those samples showed............now did all of those people keep quiet re the results ?......maybe the bookies know which way the wind was blowing from these 'samples'

Surprise surprise. Remember Betfair closing their book, then opening it again on Tuesday at the same odds? Defo something going on there. The postal votes were opened for verification on Monday!

Just saw the YouGov pseudo-Exit Poll. By recontacting voters its no surprise they get the same answers - those voters already indicated they were highly unlikely to change so no surprise here. Its voters not on YouGov panels that will determine the real results.

It wasn't the same

Didn't it go from a 4% delta to an 8% one?

No they didn't.

Yes they did and perhaps you should watch TV where it was just announced by Ruth Davidson leader of the Scottish Conservative party that this happened.

It wasn't the same

Didn't it go from a 4% delta to an 8% one?

No - they released a late poll last night - 53/47. 54/46 is not far from that. They did report some moves from Yes to No though - looks like they don't read JKB!!!