Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

ToadKiller Dog

Wouldn't read too much into it.

There's pure huners of people from both camps keeping watch. Any mistake that blatant will be picked up on

That's just verified votes they have still to be mixed and counted I guess , just put on table

Hughesie that will be picked up by the checkers. It's so obvious. No way it's deliberate fraud that one, you wouldn't put the wrong paper on top deliberately if you were trying to be sneaky.

Or they have yet to be sorted, might just be on the table for being counted.

Edited by jambo1185

Google it.

I did, and didn't find everything.

Or listen to the evidence posted here in the last half hour.

There's no evidence here, only conjecture. Maybe someone who knows more about the industry and the way odds are set could shed light on it. What's been said here by some people is that the bookies know more than we do about the count. They don't, and there's no evidence that they do.

Is it just me or do the 'YES' panelists look defeated? Just watched our Justice Minister on STV and he looked like he wanted to burst into tears, mind you, he was clinging onto the turnout.

10? Wonder what it is. People turning up to find someone has voted in their name?

Why don't you need ID to vote here (in any election)?

A barrier to voting. Not everybody has a passport or even a bank statement they can easily access.

10? Wonder what it is. People turning up to find someone has voted in their name?

That's what's alleged

Kalamazoo Jambo

You risk disenfranchising people. Not everyone would have a photo ID (e.g. passport).

A barrier to voting. Not everybody has a passport or even a bank statement they can easily access.

But surely you should at least need your polling card (or further ID if you don't have it...)

Rumour that Glasgow 54-46 yes

If that was the case then lump on Yes now at the bookies as that is 1/8th of the total vote in the country and would be very significant but still would question that split

A high turmout increases the chances of poll errors

It's a system where in the UKs case the 4 parts (Scot, Eng, Wal & NI) all have their own governments but share power with a central power.

Each part could raise own local taxes to a certain extent & the federal (central) government would also collect taxes.

I guess it's kinda like Devo Max for each of the UKs nations - we'd share defence & foreign policy etc.

Hope that makes sense

thanks to both! Cleared that up for me to an extent.

If that was the case then lump on Yes now at the bookies as that is 1/8th of the total vote in the country and would be very significant but still would question that split

A high turmout increases the chances of poll errors

Guys on BBC said if Glasgow is close then No will likely win

I would say if you don't have your polling card you should be required to have photo ID. To have neither and still be able to vote seems madness.

Yep. At the moment given the YouGov work published tonight you might find Glasgow ending up with a result something like 46-54 in favour of No. :ninja:

Absolutely fascinating chat from two historians on BbC2. Really interesting.

Agree. Basically said there is not a hope in hell that Browns timetable is realistic.

I did, and didn't find everything.

There's no evidence here, only conjecture. Maybe someone who knows more about the industry and the way odds are set could shed light on it. What's been said here by some people is that the bookies know more than we do about the count. They don't, and there's no evidence that they do.

Sorry, Uly, I'm not in the habit of videoing what I watch.

The conjecture makes sense. What you're saying goes against it!

All I know is the bookies very rarely get it wrong on these occasions, if ever. Their record on these things is far superior to the pollsters and political journalists. Maybe their techniques are better than the old tried and tested, maybe it's witchcraft. I don't know. Let's wait and see...

Guys on BBC said if Glasgow is close then No will likely win

If Glasgow says yes along with South Lanarkshire then that is 2 of the 5 biggest areas in the country...Yes would be a very good bet (or at least a much better bet) in that case and the current anticipation of the No success in the vote may be in some doubt and the odds on offer would be well out of sinc from the reality

Edited by CJGJ

All I know is the bookies very rarely get it wrong on these occasions, if ever.

I'm not saying they do. My point is that any suggestion that the bookies know more about the count than you and I do is inaccurate.

10 votes out of 486k votes.

Not even worth it tbh.

10 that they are aware of. Could be the tip of the iceberg and equally could just be 10. Interesting story.

And I'm fairly sure there have been more than 486 000 votes.

Edited by Smack

A few unconfirmed reports via https://twitter.com/Independent_SCO

Dundee 90% Turnout, 70% Yes.

Glasgow: Yes "well ahead"

STV reporting that North Ayrshire should be more than 55% in favour of a Yes vote

Well he's out on the first one already.

54% isn't enough for Yes in Glasgow without big gains elsewhere. That's why they are a bit flat.

62% No in East Lothian as predicted would be a good result.

A few unconfirmed reports via https://twitter.com/Independent_SCO

Dundee 90% Turnout, 70% Yes.

Glasgow: Yes "well ahead"

STV reporting that North Ayrshire should be more than 55% in favour of a Yes vote

We have two rumours about the Dundee turnout saying completely different things. There's no hope of a decent tally yet because the votes are still being sorted - and that's even more the case in Glasgow. It's too early to tell, and as I said already if Dundee votes 70-71 Yes then the nationwide result would be 2-to-1 in favour of Yes.

Just read that there is 422k English born people living in Scotland and eligible to vote and 680k Scottish born people living in England who can't vote, wonder how that would change the result if it was reversed. (reversed is probs not the correct term but you'll know what I mean)

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I would say if you don't have your polling card you should be required to have photo ID. To have neither and still be able to vote seems madness.

I agree. I was working in one of the polling stations in Edinburgh and as long as someone gave a name and address that matched what we had on the list, they got a ballot paper. Bit ridiculous tbh. Quite a few folk turned up with passports etc and we just turned a blind eye. Thankfully no duplicate vote issues!