Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Note for members: On Wednesday morning this thread and debate will run into its 726th day, and it will be time to allow people time and space away from the debate before the voting takes place. With this in mind, this thread will close temporarily from Wednesday morning until shortly before the polls close on Thursday, and any other referendum chat/debate on the board will be removed.

Members are asked to keep in mind that posting referendum debate or calls to vote either way on other threads will be especially unwelcome, so please respect this referendum debate moratorium once it starts.

Think it's safe to say it's pretty much ran it's course anyway. Hope the mods aren't too busy on Friday whatever the decision!

Jobby Brown speaks really well. He's getting a pounding from Dimbelby on BBC but doing really well.

Much better than Darling.

Agreed.

Salmonds not getting a hard time. So far...

Not like a bookie to go for a publicity stunt!

If Yes wins, Salmond will pull up his shirt to reveal his Paddy Power pants as he runs round Holyrood.

ToadKiller Dog

Hearing that the Stirling Branch of the Labour Party membership has voted to back independence not confirmed though and don't believe it myself

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

Think it's safe to say it's pretty much ran it's course anyway. Hope the mods aren't too busy on Friday whatever the decision!

This.

Hopefully the mods aren't as busy as bar staff up and down the country!

:bucktooth:

Note for members: On Wednesday morning this thread and debate will run into its 726th day, and it will be time to allow people time and space away from the debate before the voting takes place. With this in mind, this thread will close temporarily from Wednesday morning until shortly before the polls close on Thursday, and any other referendum chat/debate on the board will be removed.

Members are asked to keep in mind that posting referendum debate or calls to vote either way on other threads will be especially unwelcome, so please respect this referendum debate moratorium once it starts.

Excellent idea Uly. A well moderated thread and a good one at that.

Will this be put onto the classics? Or left to drop down?

The BBC has clearly been spooked by the acusations of bias.

Tonight's interview; Brown gets a tough time, Salmond getting his tummy tickled.

The Better Together campaign, should have had a demo last week. Bit like when managers put pressure on the referee before a big game.

Tonight's interview; Brown gets a tough time, Salmond getting his tummy tickled.

The Better Together campaign, should have had a demo last week. Bit like when managers put pressure on the referee before a big game.

Anyone who watched the Glenn Campbell debacle could argue the BBC has cut it both ways based on who was moderating or asking the question.

It's been mixed.

Great move. After Thursday its back to football. No more politics.

He's a canny old dog,Salmond,i'll give him that.

Where would the Better Together demo have taken place.....ootside the you.gov poll offices? :uhoh2:

This whole debates now ripping my knitten. I'll be voting yes because I want to see Scotland have it's own control over itself as much as possible. I also think we've a slightly better chance of a fairer distribution of wealth in the long term under a Scottish elected government. That said, I'm not an economist and neither are the majority on here, twitter, facebook and on the street. Despite this being a truly momentous occasion I now can't wait for it to be over. I'm fed up with the divide among my family, colleagues and friends and I genuinely hope that whatever the vote people will move on and get on with it. There's no room for bitterness.

Can I vote for this option please?

You're soot on.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Better ask the BBC it was their programme. For economic advise I prefer Nobel Prize winners to Kickbackers, usually safer

The BBC you say?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-24866266

"If oil revenues are included in GDP figures, Scotland is shown to generate more per head of population than the UK as a whole. For Scotland, it is ?26,424 per head compared with ?22,336 per head for the UK, according to Scottish government estimates.

If you do not include oil and gas revenues then there is little difference in the figures - GDP per head in Scotland was ?20,571 in 2011 and for the UK it was ?20,873."

Malinga the Swinga

Think there will be lots of bitterness carried over for the next couple of years. I had argument with guy t work who wants me to vote Yes and he thinks I am letting down Scotland by voting No and that I am a coward. I retorted back that Yes had failed to convince me they can govern and he responds with, better them than the Tories, can't have the Tories again.

Used to get on wel, but there was a definite atmosphere at work and Incan see it being worse after the result, because one side ain't going to be happy.

I think I get what he and others are saying and it's got me thinking as well.

There will be people voting yes for various reasons however some might be doing so in part or in full due to the white paper. Some might not agree with Salmon or the SNP and might want someone else in power. Surely in this case it would be absurd to expect another party to deliver on the white paper?

I might have got the wrong end of the stick however it's still a valid point or rather points.

Alec again just saying on BBC1 we are voting to keep sterling ( so rUK will need to accept it ).

Mmmm

apart from everything being up for negociation its not what people are voting for on Thursday

Geoff Kilpatrick

Alec again just saying on BBC1 we are voting to keep sterling ( so rUK will need to accept it ).

Mmmm

apart from everything being up for negociation its not what people are voting for on Thursday

I like how this democratic deficit in Scotland is only addressed by 5m people dictating to 58m people!

:vrface:

Having said that, he isn't answering **** all. Another win for Better Together this evening.

I'm starting to despise him. He's slippier than a greased eel.

Can I vote for this option please?

You're soot on.

To suggest that we all just "move on" after such a momentous decision which will split a Country and divide friends and families is naive. There will be 3 years of negotiations on absolutely everything in preparation for Independence Day, which won't go away. There will be the EU negotiations, no doubt protracted. There will be the currency negotiations. "Move on" is not an option. Its 2-3 more years of division.

Jobby Brown speaks really well. He's getting a pounding from Dimbelby on BBC but doing really well.

Much better than Darling.

Brown should have been in far earlier.

30 minutes of waffle from Salmond, not so great when he can't shout over the opposition.

Watching this on delay so apologies....Brown saying the Labour government next year.......balloon is deluded....they ain't getting anywhere near next year.....if we're talking major risks,i'd say that is the biggest and I,for one,don't believe him...or daft Ed.

Scottish Sun/Murdoch to declare one way or the other tonight. Strong rumour all along has been they'll back Yes. Is this likely to tip it in their favour ?

Brown should have been in far earlier.

30 minutes of waffle from Salmond, not so great when he can't shout over the opposition.

Yeah - I don't get why we didn't have Brown in months ago.

Salmond smarmy and not answering much - as ever

Well, if this thread is closing shortly then I'd just like to wish you all the best, whatever you vote for and whatever you want.

It'll be sometime around 9 in the morning.

:thumbsup:

Well, if this thread is closing shortly then I'd just like to wish you all the best, whatever you vote for and whatever you want.

**** off!

I jest of course.......it has been a great thread and around the country apathy has been destroyed....a victory for everyone!

Cheers,all.

Yeah - I don't get why we didn't have Brown in months ago.

Salmond smarmy and not answering much - as ever

I refer you to my post earlier about Brown being loathed by Cameron and Osborne, their stymieing his chances at the IMF, and his self-imposed exile.

What a fantastic leader and politician Alec Salmond is. a guid Jambo too.

That should help the Yes campaign. :thumbsup:

:lol:

I think I'll leave the thread for now as well.

To suggest that we all just "move on" after such a momentous decision which will split a Country and divide friends and families is naive. There will be 3 years of negotiations on absolutely everything in preparation for Independence Day, which won't go away. There will be the EU negotiations, no doubt protracted. There will be the currency negotiations. "Move on" is not an option. Its 2-3 more years of division.

Of course there'll be division. Is it harmful to hope that the majority of people accept the democratic decision and try to keep the bitterness to a minimum? This is a wonderful little country and if people can't accept whatever vote it is it'll turn into a nasty little gobshite of a country. Nobody wants to see that and hopefully people respect the vote and pull together to get behind whatever we end up with.

Agreed.

Also the most impressive thing about the whole thing is that 97% of the electorate has registered to vote.

Of course there'll be division. Is it harmful to hope that the majority of people accept the democratic decision and try to keep the bitterness to a minimum? This is a wonderful little country and if people can't accept whatever vote it is it'll turn into a nasty little gobshite of a country. Nobody wants to see that and hopefully people respect the vote and pull together to get behind whatever we end up with.

I will :thumbsup:

BoJack Horseman

Think there will be lots of bitterness carried over for the next couple of years. I had argument with guy t work who wants me to vote Yes and he thinks I am letting down Scotland by voting No and that I am a coward. I retorted back that Yes had failed to convince me they can govern and he responds with, better them than the Tories, can't have the Tories again.

Used to get on wel, but there was a definite atmosphere at work and Incan see it being worse after the result, because one side ain't going to be happy.

Should've told him to **** off and mind his own business. Doesn't sound like someone worth associating with anyway.

I personally will have no ill feelings toward any one I know, regardless of the result. I can only speak for myself, but I respect my family and friends enough to accept their opinions. I'd like to think they give me that same respect. I can't see many fallings out over the result. The majority of us will in fact, move on.

"ICM boss: a polling Waterloo is possible...we might have called it very wrong"

http://www.heraldsco...ssible.25336542

Less than two days to go and the first squeak from the pollsters that they may be inaccurate.

With such a high level of turnout expected, I would imagine the pollsters recognise that this could be the 1:20 they call wrong. Not long until we all find out.