Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Agreed.

Also the most impressive thing about the whole thing is that 97% of the electorate has registered to vote.

I was at something today through my work and the Scotland Government expect 91/92% of people to vote. I know 97% have registered. Some turn out that.

It'll be sometime around 9 in the morning.

:thumbsup:

Then a vote of thanks to the Mods for keeping people like me in check and keeping the thread sane. All agree?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Been a great thread but it really is time to close it.

I've loved the debate and soaked up every piece of opinion I've read from both sides. This has been a great time to be a Scot. I refuse to accept any lingering negativity and anyone who point scores after Thursday really needs to have a look at themselves.

Whatever the result the country is engaged in the political process like never before, we have rediscovered our national identity and our voice is louder and prouder than it's been in living memory both in the UK and abroad. I'm immensely proud of that.

See you on the other side, Scotland. I'm out.

"ICM boss: a polling Waterloo is possible...we might have called it very wrong"

http://www.heraldsco...ssible.25336542

Less than two days to go and the first squeak from the pollsters that they may be inaccurate.

not the first squeak, ICM boss on radio 4 end of last week thinks they may have got the level of No vote wrong, he thinks it may be higher.

I was at something today through my work and the Scotland Government expect 91/92% of people to vote. I know 97% have registered. Some turn out that.

I'm working the vote Thursday night....gonnae be bedlam! :veryangry:

Good luck Scotland. I am looking forward to trolling feck out of the losers come Friday! ::troll:::'>

If it's a No vote then I'm good to go. My wife's sister lives in Oz and the amount of pro independence pish she puts up on Facebook really gets on my tits. If she loved Scotland so much she wouldn't have moved to the other side of the world the interfering cow. She can't even bloody vote.

The Mighty Thor

Well I've enjoyed the debate in here and I really hope regardless of outcome the political debate in Scotland rages on.

If its not yes on Thursday then it'll be next time because the engine of change has been cranked up and despite a vociferous no campaign they simply cannot deliver enough change in a quick enough timeframe to keep ahead of a changing political and economic outlook in Scotland.

Enjoy it and realise your place in history by voting.

Michael Crick ( ch4 news politics) has said in Dunbar off Camera after touring around Scotland " don't quote me but it will be a yes "

Journalists are lying so and sos etc etc :)

not the first squeak, ICM boss on radio 4 end of last week thinks they may have got the level of No vote wrong, he thinks it may be higher.

The only pollster that got the 2011 election close was IPSOS-MORI. Thats because they use random sampling. Most of the others are Internet Panels that are infiltrated by activists and contain fewer real "Undecideds" They recognise this and use "weighting factors" to adjust the responses to align with age and previous voting intention groups to try and get a more representative sample. So their results are more hit or miss. IPSOS-MORI I think release a Poll tonight.

Beware the Undecideds.

The Mighty Thor
I hope we're all still pals on Friday morning and in the likely event of a narrow No win look forward to hassling TheMag about the Tories on the 2015 GE thread.

He'll be telling us milliband is the man by then. ;-)

I'm working during the day. Looking forward to it, good thing to look back on and say you done.

Been doing it for over 30 years,mate.It is a good thing to help in something so important.

It's been a good thread with lots of give and take on it and hopefully we'll see some good and interesting thoughts (without malice) once it reopens. I'm going for a 52-48 in favour of Yes (it'll be a landslide for no the way my bets have been going recently!)

Get out there and vote regardless of whether you are a yes or no, this is our time, our choice.

It's looking like the Sun is bottling it and not coming out for Yes.

Probably a blessing for them

Some yes voters are giving them stick on twitter calling them cowards :laugh:

As someone who doesn't post much but mainly reads, I'd like to say I've enjoyed reading many many pages of debate and learnt a hell of a lot along the way.

Whatever the outcome I hope Friday passes without incident and the Hearts pick up another 3 points on Saturday, life must go on after all.

Good thread, have enjoyed seeing the latest articles linked to from both sides. I don't believe any of the polls and can only hope that no wins the day. See you on the other side (of the border if it's a yes win!)

Some yes voters are giving them stick on twitter calling them cowards :laugh:

:jjyay:

Has the Sun ever come out for a party/movement only to have them lose?

Should've told him to **** off and mind his own business. Doesn't sound like someone worth associating with anyway.

I personally will have no ill feelings toward any one I know, regardless of the result. I can only speak for myself, but I respect my family and friends enough to accept their opinions. I'd like to think they give me that same respect. I can't see many fallings out over the result. The majority of us will in fact, move on.

I'm the same, I'll feel no bitterness towards how people vote, it's not personal in any way. I will however feel pissed off of how some of the politicians have acted on both sides. That is where I will vent my anger, to be pissed off about how your mates have voted is for ******* head cases!

I'm the same, I'll feel no bitterness towards how people vote, it's not personal in any way. I will however feel pissed off of how some of the politicians have acted on both sides. That is where I will vent my anger, to be pissed off about how your mates have voted is for ******* head cases!

It was too important to be left in the hands of politicians. If nothing else, this has reinforced Douglas Adams' view (Restaurant at the End of the Galaxy)...

The major problem?one of the major problems, for there are several?one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

The People's Chimp

Herald editorial comes out for a slight No; based on a large further devolution of powers.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/comment/herald-view/once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity-to-cast-a-future-that-meets-the-aspirations-of-sc.25295912

"But in promoting its manifesto for Scottish independence, a Panglossian emphasis on the best-case scenario has at times strained its credibility...a tactical decision appears to have been made by Yes Scotland to portray most objections as contemptible negativity or the pessimism of the fearties. A sense of realism and healthy scepticism has been derided, especially in the latter stages of the campaign."

All i will add before this thread goes into hibernation is that I have thoroughly enjoyed the debate in the last few weeks. I hope Scotland ends up in a much better place after it all.

I'll also add that on my trip up to Oban this week there is a massive amount of campaigning going on. And a monumental amount of Yes stickers and posters in cars windows and Huge signs along the motorway. A fair few big signs for No too.

Just want it to be over now, bored of it all.

Its now just turned into one big slanging match which I shouldnt be suprised at in politics, but its all the voters getting involved aswell.

Roll on Friday whatever the result.

Interesting from Salmond - is he now saying if we don't get a share of the physical dosh, we'll default - rather than the hitherto if we don't get a CU we'll default?

Chaka Demus & pliers

I notice that there is no scope for a national recount even if the final tally is as little as one vote, hopefully that doesn't come back to bite us on the erchie.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/referendum-recount-ruling.24533645

You need to pay to view the full post but there's enough to get the point.

I've not read the link but couldn't there be a recount in every region, effectively a national recount?

I've not read the link but couldn't there be a recount in every region, effectively a national recount?

Not just because the vote is close they would need to suspect shennanigans.

"What about recounts?

Recounts will only be allowed at a local level and only on the basis of concerns about process, not the closeness of a result, according to Elections Scotland.

It is up to local counting officers to decide whether to request a recount - but only after they have given the provisional total to the chief counting officer.

There is no provision in law for a national recount."

Edited by graygo

Not just because the vote is close they would need to suspect shennanigans.

"What about recounts?

Recounts will only be allowed at a local level and only on the basis of concerns about process, not the closeness of a result, according to Elections Scotland.

It is up to local counting officers to decide whether to request a recount - but only after they have given the provisional total to the chief counting officer.

There is no provision in law for a national recount."

A very close poll could see a petition to the courts.

A good example was Gerry Malone in fight for Winchester in 1997. Where margin was 2 votes. The vote was declared void and Malone lost the subsequent by-election by 21,000 votes.

I suppose as the thread is closing for a wee bit I'll make a prediction. 58% Yes 42% No.

If It was based on people I know, close friends, people I work with, family, mrs workmates etc it would be 90/10 for yes but that's just ridiculous!

Whatever the outcome, let's hope this referendum results in a better Scotland. It's been an amazing event to watch and be a part of. I'm really stressed and excited about it all, haven't slept well in days either.

Best of luck to all, whatever you vote :-)

I suppose as the thread is closing for a wee bit I'll make a prediction. 58% Yes 42% No.

If It was based on people I know, close friends, people I work with, family, mrs workmates etc it would be 90/10 for yes but that's just ridiculous!

Whatever the outcome, let's hope this referendum results in a better Scotland. It's been an amazing event to watch and be a part of. I'm really stressed and excited about it all, haven't slept well in days either.

Best of luck to all, whatever you vote :-)

My final final word on this, these parties are suppose to be there to do our will. I find it strange that Labour Party has being screamed at its followers to vote NO. You represent us, not the other way around, it should be the will of the people and not treating us like lemmings to make sure your pals keep their cosy jobs.

Any way, 56 No to 44 Yes. 82% turnout.

Edited by super_vlad

The People's Chimp

Plenty in the faculty of advocates are gearing up for a possible challenge so not sure where the "no provision in law" line is coming from.

"Exclusive: First Minister phoned Prof Louise Richardson demanding she clarify remarks while emails show key aide urged principal to issue statement praising SNP Government"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11100754/Revealed-Alex-Salmond-personally-pressurised-St-Andrews-University-head-over-independence-concerns.html

Democracy SNP style. Deary me.