Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

A bit of misinformation in the article though.

"All 28 existing member states would have to reach unanimous agreement on the process a separate Scotland would have to follow and the terms on which it would join."

This would be true if scotland were to apply via article 49, however there is every likelihood that Scotland would gain entry via article 48 which simply requires a majority. So, as ever there are muddied waters, but I guess it's who you believe. If Eck's been telling porkies, well, he's silly. But a YES vote isn't a vote for Eck.

Anyway, my prediction....

A slim NO victory. 52/48

If YES wins then they will win large 58+

Huge turnout too.

To say there is "every liklihood" of access via 48 is pushing things. This is a unique case and the underlying principles that a succession state cannot automatically remain in EU will prevail. There is no way the Spanish will allow a successtion state free ticket in based on EU statutes that were not designed to cater for all eventualities.

A bit of misinformation in the article though.

"All 28 existing member states would have to reach unanimous agreement on the process a separate Scotland would have to follow and the terms on which it would join."

This would be true if scotland were to apply via article 49, however there is every likelihood that Scotland would gain entry via article 48 which simply requires a majority. So, as ever there are muddied waters, but I guess it's who you believe. If Eck's been telling porkies, well, he's silly. But a YES vote isn't a vote for Eck.

Anyway, my prediction....

A slim NO victory. 52/48

If YES wins then they will win large 58+

Huge turnout too.

But you are voting for him to lead an iScotland's EU application process. So if he's been talking crap after getting 'comfort' or whatever about that process from other member states, we need to know. I don't share your level of positivity on article 48, but will happily be proved wrong as it would make everything simpler.

Edited by jambo1185

Really enjoyed the campaigns till the last 2 or 3 weeks.

I feel very let down by the No campaign for their dour approach and carrot on a stick approach (with zero guarantees). The stories from business etc look to me have been like a negativity black hole sucking out optimism in the last week.

The UK general election could well see a massive push from SNP at Westminster (Coalition support for Devo Max).

I think the turnout will be around 90-91% and I suspect it's going to be 46% YES, 54% NO.

I think its going to be an overwhelming victory for No. When it come to the crunch people will vote with their heads.

No 62% Yes 38% Turnout 86%

Edited by Walter Bishop

And on a lighter note --

09:37: Armando Ianucci tweets: Firstly, a poll asking Scots if they thought the campaign was causing divisions, 50% said No and 50% said Yes....

I can't wait to hear what frankie Boyle says.

And on a lighter note --

09:37: Armando Ianucci tweets: Firstly, a poll asking Scots if they thought the campaign was causing divisions, 50% said No and 50% said Yes....

I can't wait to hear what frankie Boyle says.

:lol:

• Moderators

This thread will reopen shortly.

This is the only thread for referendum related discussion on JKB, and posts about the referendum made elsewhere on JKB will result in warnings or possibly suspensions.

Please enjoy taking a full part in the debate as the results come in, but remember we will be taking a zero tolerance approach to trolling and personal abuse on this thread.

Any kind of personal abuse, personalised remarks, trolling or 'GIRUY/GIRUT' posting will result in an immediate suspension.

Sounds like a busy day throughout the nation.

My Yes vote has been placed. Not waiting up, working tomorrow so need my rest.

Heard there has been an assault charge outside a Glasgow polling station. Wonder what happened there?

Voted early doors, getting nervy now. No plans to stay up all night though, will just wake up and see what happens.

Something I read earlier though, apparently if the turnout is over 80% a lot of the opinion polls are effectively void. No idea who that's good for though :lol:

Voted Yes.

Was a staunch No for a long time too. Seems common. Not hearing the same the other way round.

The momentum is with Yes for me.

Sounds like a busy day throughout the nation.

My Yes vote has been placed. Not waiting up, working tomorrow so need my rest.

Heard there has been an assault charge outside a Glasgow polling station. Wonder what happened there?

Read something about a former St Helen's councillor (67 yr old woman) was charged earlier in Glasgow ... may have been this.

Voted No early this morning.

It felt good.

Did anyone see Jobby Brown's speech yesterday?

Absolutely inspirational.

If he'd been in place of Darling BT would have absolutely horses this campaign.

Edited by TheMaganator

Voted No this morning however there's some favourable odds to be had on this, a straight Yes win 4/1, 50-55% @ 5/1 and a whopping 16/1 for over 55%, just stuck ten smackeroonies on that.

It felt good.

my money is on him being next first minister.

I voted yes. I'm a notorious panicker and I'm feeling quite sad at the thought of the break up of Britain. I still wish Devo max had been on offer. I do think I'll be glad in the long term that I've had my little wobble after casting my vote though and not before.

I blame my Granny and her wee sad eyes about the prospect of the union breaking up for my wobble.

Guest C00l K1d

Voted Yes.

Was a staunch No for a long time too. Seems common. Not hearing the same the other way round.

The momentum is with Yes for me.

Surprised at this tbh.

A lot of undecided are opting no is what I'm hearing

I'm hearing the opposite tbh, and no's switching to yes.

Depends who you speak to I'm sure. Going to be very close IMO.

A lot of undecided are opting no is what I'm hearing

The undecideds will vote No IMO.

The polls say the Yes camp would need all the undecideds to win this thing.

It'll be a No vote.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

All no's in oil and gas Aberdeen will return a resounding no I predict. Yes can be proud anything over 45%, it's a difficult and brave thing to vote for such radical change

I voted No but I went along to George Sq in Glasgow to see the Independence rally (or whatever it was) - it was absolutele mayhem! I definitely felt a stirring of patriotism but I think the head has got to rule the heart in matters of this importance so it didn't make me regret voting No.

Edited by Jambos_1874

I went to bed at 8 set my alarm for 2am. Still not slept!

In for the long haul it seems.

Same. I had 20 minutes and realised it wasn't happening. I'm going to try again for 3-4 hours kip at 11:00

This is the sense I'm getting.

Twitter is full of 'my nan was No but then she voted Yes stories'. Calling BS tbh.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Looking forward to the tears and snotters on Facebook no matter what way it goes.

Correct. There will be no trolling on here but anything goes on there! :)

It felt good.

Agreed, very disappointed that Brown wasn't brought in sooner.

According to alex Thompson ch4 Maryhill going 2/3 to Yes says a reliable source .

How can that be? The polls have JUST closed?

Can't be very reliable imo

All no's in oil and gas Aberdeen will return a resounding no I predict. Yes can be proud anything over 45%, it's a difficult and brave thing to vote for such radical change

Not sure about that. I have two friends who work for different oil companies in Aberdeen an both are Yes.

Although they maybe said that just to stop me from pestering them!

The Future's Maroon

So, when is the best time to set the alarm for during the night...when the Glasgow/Edinburgh results get announced (which I think is 4am)?

So, when is the best time to set the alarm for during the night...when the Glasgow/Edinburgh results get announced (which I think is 4am)?

Apparently most results are expected between 3 and 6, with Glasgow and Edinburgh closer to 6. That was a couple of days ago, so if anyone has heard differently please shout.

YouGov are releasing a poll/prediction at 10.30, recontacted people today after they'd voted.

Edited by Arnold

Disenfranchised down here in London

I'd have voted no.

I genuinely don't know how anyone could vote yes given the complete uncertainty that will exist on so many key issues.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not sure about that. I have two friends who work for different oil companies in Aberdeen an both are Yes.

Although they maybe said that just to stop me from pestering them!

I am hugely outnumbered by mainly people living in fear