Riotwatch

Italian Lambretta

A bigger question - what will these morons do if panic buying starts due to distribution shortages?

Probably start calmly selling shit that they have just stolen.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Mighty Thor

Incredible stuff.

I wonder what Dave will propose to do as it's obvious the Met police is stretched beyond breaking point and it's also obvious that without the helicopter support units they are fecking clueless on the ground.

Between this and the arse falling out the stock market it's not a great holiday period for Dave & the gang.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Incredible stuff.

I wonder what Dave will propose to do as it's obvious the Met police is stretched beyond breaking point and it's also obvious that without the helicopter support units they are fecking clueless on the ground.

Between this and the arse falling out the stock market it's not a great holiday period for Dave & the gang.

Good news on the stockmarket though. Helicopter Ben is firing up the US printing presses again. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

jamboinglasgow

Where this goes from here we will find out tonight, every there is a much subdued night which the police can get out of control then last night was the peak and things will return to normal. But if it keeps the same intensity and level (or even dare I say it steps up) then I can see it spreading to more cities and causing greater problems over the next few nights. The next 24 hours will be crucial.

I cant even comprehend these little w@nks mentalities, Id dearly love to see the police and army wade in and kick *** out off the little sh!ts!

I cant even comprehend these little w@nks mentalities, Id dearly love to see the police and army wade in and kick *** out off the little sh!ts!

This :thumbsup:

This was always going to happen. It's simply a repeat of the Brixton riots and the Bradford riots in years gone by. People who are trapped in a "ghetto" with no prospect of anything other than a lifetime of minimum wage (at best) will always have dummy spits when one of their own is shot dead by the same cops who hassle the crap out of said ghetto dwellers on a daily basis.

The real disgrace is how badly it has been handled by the police and how piss weak the response of politicians, especially the Prime Minister, has been. No leadership whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCw9_avTlYs

Calling for the army to come out? :facepalm:

Saying this is all about race? :facepalm:

Good job I'm about to sit down at my desk. This thread is heading rapidly downhill.

folk being dismissive of the need to consider that the army have to be brought in. :facepalm:

bring the feckin army in.

chester copperpot

Wouldn't surprise me if residents start to protect their streets tonight.

I am really surprised no one has been killed as yet (except the black geezer in Tottenham).

Gregory House M.D.

The media just compared it to The Blitz!

:facepalm: :Vlad-Stupid: :goodone: :vrface:

Gregory House M.D.

The media enjoy a wee sprinkling of exaggeration these days eh?

:lol:

P.s WTF is COBRA?

Walter Bishop

This country is a disgrace, imagine if it was America they would have put an end to it on the 1st night. The police need to be allowed to wade in with battons, rubber bullets and get the water canons over from Northern Ireland. Peoples lives are being ruined and businesses are being destroyed.

I would love to see a convoy of tanks rolling round London Town! :thumbsup:

This is how the Lithuanians do it! (With Vlad`s permission of course. :thumbsup: )

Walter Bishop

The media enjoy a season wee sprinkling of exaggeration these days eh?

P.s WTF is COBRA?

It stands for - Cabinet Office briefing room A. Its where the PM and his cronies get together for tea and scones and decide how to deal with issues such as these riots.

The media enjoy a season wee sprinkling of exaggeration these days eh?

P.s WTF is COBRA?

cabinet office, breifing room A.

they named their highest ranking civil contingency after a room. :vrface:

Gregory House M.D.

ah64_2.jpg

Stop ******* About Get Intae Them!

It must be said however...

The Metropolitan police are a bit shit

It starts with their recruitment. They'll take people that L&B would reject

Gregory House M.D.

cabinet office, breifing room A.

they named their highest ranking civil contingency after a room. :vrface:

Patrick Bateman

Darcus Howe on BBC.

Unbelievable.

What were they thinking by letting that moron speak? Trying to compare criminal trash burning down furniture stores to protesters in Syria. If that's an 'educated' mindset for some, it really makes you wonder...

What is that clown saying?

Basically saying it is a global issue of the impoverished, alienated youth. Compared it to Syria.

Deafening silence from the usual equal rights for ethnic minorities groups social do-gooders. The Tory government (and it is) should pull their heads out each others arsed and get the troops in. The minute these scumbags started confronting innocent people in their own home is the moment the professional badboys need set loose.

Chad Sexington

Basically saying it is a global issue of the impoverished, alienated youth. Compared it to Syria.

What a dick. :vrface:

Deafening silence from the usual equal rights for ethnic minorities groups social do-gooders. The Tory government (and it is) should pull their heads out each others arsed and get the troops in. The minute these scumbags started confronting innocent people in their own home is the moment the professional badboys need set loose.

correct. a visible presence of armed forces and their hardware. armed troops patrolling the streets... AND a mandate to use full force if they themselves are engaged.

He has a point re alienated youth, imo.

Not condoning these rioters, as I've posted elsewhere largely it's just criminality. It's not bakers they're breaking into is it? It's luxury goods stores. There's no politics; the anti-police rhetoric is pure reflex hate and as for the guy who was killed, most of the people rioting didn't know him. Still, interesting there wasn't even a fraction of the same reponse when Ian Tomlinson was killed by a cop ON CAMERA. Interesting to note that austerity cuts in Tottenham closed 8 out of 13 local youth clubs. Saving a penny only to lose a pound.

The Syrian analogy is stretching it a bit though, that is a political movement, but perhaps what you have is a consequence of the consumerist society that has been created over the last 30 odd years.

What precisely do you expect them to say?

And do you honestly think that martial law is going to help things in the long run?

correct. a visible presence of armed forces and their hardware. armed troops patrolling the streets... AND a mandate to use full force if they themselves are engaged.

:unsure:

Not condoning these rioters, as I've posted elsewhere largely it's just criminality. It's not bakers they're breaking into is it? It's luxury goods stores. There's no politics; the anti-police rhetoric is pure reflex hate and as for the guy who was killed, most of the people rioting didn't know him. Still, interesting there wasn't even a fraction of the same reponse when Ian Tomlinson was killed by a cop ON CAMERA. Interesting to note that austerity cuts in Tottenham closed 8 out of 13 local youth clubs. Saving a penny only to lose a pound.

The Syrian analogy is stretching it a bit though, that is a political movement, but perhaps what you have is a consequence of the consumerist society that has been created over the last 30 odd years.

Aye, very good.

What precisely do you expect them to say?

And do you honestly think that martial law is going to help things in the long run?

:unsure:

it's all very well to :unsure: someone over this but how else are the authorities expected to contain it? it's already patently clear that the police are virtually powerless.

is society just expected to ride it out until the rioters get bored of their recreational thuggery and mass looting?

it's all very well to :unsure: someone over this but how else are the authorities expected to contain it? it's already patently clear that the police are virtually powerless.

is society just expected to ride it out until the rioters get bored of their recreational thuggery and mass looting?

Oh, it needs stopped, no doubt about it, however my concern is that some folk may think that the problem is over once the rioters are stopped.

The issues in our society run much deeper and what we are seeing is simply a sympton of the consumer capitalist society we live in.

Until the causes of such behaviour are looked into and sorted we shall simply go round in circles.

The Old Tolbooth

P.s WTF is COBRA?

It's a lovely Indian lager, I hope to feck they don't target their UK brewery next, I love that stuff! :ninja:

Oh, it needs stopped, no doubt about it, however my concern is that some folk may think that the problem is over once the rioters are stopped.

The issues in our society run much deeper and what we are seeing is simply a sympton of the consumer capitalist society we live in.

Until the causes of such behaviour are looked into and sorted we shall simply go round in circles.

i'm glad we can agree on the immediate urgency to contain.

the underlying issues do indeed require a huge, far reaching review. the time for that is when order has been restored.

The thing is Boris, it isn't just luxury goods stores. On the news this morning they showed a street that where an Oxfam shop was trashed. Yesterday there was pictures of looting in an Iceland shop. What are they after, second hand jumpers and microwavable pizzas? It is just completely mindless destruction.

The Old Tolbooth

I agree with the analogy re: alienated youth, uprisings and social networking.

It's just that the Arab Spring had a point, whereas this has taken a point and turned it into mindless looting. All sympathy went out the window when it became clear that this was zilch to do with the death of a man at the hands of police in Tottenham, and everything to do with opportunistic vandalism and theft.

The hoardes have undermined the whole exercise of displaying mass anger at the way police treat the underclasses, and the point has been irrevocably lost.

What he said!

The thing is Boris, it isn't just luxury goods stores. On the news this morning they showed a street that where an Oxfam shop was trashed. Yesterday there was pictures of looting in an Iceland shop. What are they after, second hand jumpers and microwavable pizzas? It is just completely mindless destruction.

You're right. It has escalated from what appeared to be a new form of "steaming" to as you say, mindless destruction.

You don't think that possibly there is simply a latent criminality in Tottenham with black youths and hanger-on white youths who all aspire to some pathetic 'gangsta' lifestyle. People always trot out the "deprived/alienated/poor" lines, yet these kids have the same access to education as the rest of the country, they simply don't go.

There are plenty of poor kids across the UK (and I do agree about your wider point - that capitalism fuels a consumerism that rubs it in the faces of those who can't afford the stuff they are told they need) but they aren't rioting every weekend because they can't afford a PS3.

The key question here is - where the **** are the parents of these rioters?

Sexton Hardcastle

I take it The North Face jackets are standard issue at the bbc/sky news?

Hope their outlets never got done over.

Check out the @riotcleanup and #Riotwombles work today.

Fantastic response.

I had to put myself to bed last night before it got too much for me but that cheered me up no end this morning. Brilliant. :)

See that 'Britishness' thing I normally can't really get my head around? Well, that response? It's very British. Yep yep.

Archived