Wimbledon 2011

redm

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Some of these build up video things the BBC do are ******* awful.

:Vlad-Stupid:

I P Knightley

What would you know about any of that, Greg? Sod off back to Canada. :thumbsup:

Be a complete and utter roaster. Suddenly turned British, in order to get a much higher profile, press coverage etc. Amusingly found himself overshadowed by Henman very quickly; whereupon he spent most of the rest of his career under-achieving (Henman didn't have the game to win Wimbledon or any Slam; Rusedski absolutely did, yet his record at SW19 was embarrassing), moaning, and cheating.

His colleagues on tour couldn't stand him - and when Sampras beat him in five at the 2002 US Open, and went on to win it despite Rusedski publicly dismissing his chances in yet another display of green eyes and sour grapes, I laughed and laughed and laughed. Just as I did when watching him lose on Court 1 in the Wimbledon first round in 2000, to Vince Spadea: a guy who hadn't won a single match all year! :lol:

Crikey O'Reilly, Shaun! Not everyone's cup of tea, I admit, and a good British player of his time (in terms oif underachievement if not accent or birth). I didn't imagine that he could stir such emotions in anyone, let alone your good self.

At thetime he first came to represent Britain (just before the rise of The Tiger), I was really quite pleased to see that a fairly decent player (Top 50 - how our sights have changed!) actually, willingly wanted to represent GB in Davis Cup - at a time when Canada were really no worse in the pecking order than GB; possibly higher. Yes, he may have been doing so in order to exploit a gap in the market, where the GB press needs to have a tennis hope & The Sun sticks its logo on his shirt sleeve for a fortnight, but at least it gave a bit of hope at the time.

I'll be at a juniors tournament in August at which Ru-Ru is supposed to be appearing to chat to the kids. If he's there, I'll make sure to whack a tennis ball in his baws on your behalf. "That, my big faced Canadian friend, is from Lawson!" I'll say as he lies there on the ground.

Who else have I reserved similar disdain for in tennis? Steffi Graf... and that's about it.

Now just hang on a darned rootin' tootin' minute. The beautiful Steffi did nothing to hurt you. you pick a fight with her, I'm afraid you pick a fight with her boyfriend - and that's ME!!

shaun.lawson

Crikey O'Reilly, Shaun! Not everyone's cup of tea, I admit, and a good British player of his time (in terms oif underachievement if not accent or birth). I didn't imagine that he could stir such emotions in anyone, let alone your good self.

At thetime he first came to represent Britain (just before the rise of The Tiger), I was really quite pleased to see that a fairly decent player (Top 50 - how our sights have changed!) actually, willingly wanted to represent GB in Davis Cup - at a time when Canada were really no worse in the pecking order than GB; possibly higher. Yes, he may have been doing so in order to exploit a gap in the market, where the GB press needs to have a tennis hope & The Sun sticks its logo on his shirt sleeve for a fortnight, but at least it gave a bit of hope at the time.

I'll be at a juniors tournament in August at which Ru-Ru is supposed to be appearing to chat to the kids. If he's there, I'll make sure to whack a tennis ball in his baws on your behalf. "That, my big faced Canadian friend, is from Lawson!" I'll say as he lies there on the ground.

Now just hang on a darned rootin' tootin' minute. The beautiful Steffi did nothing to hurt you. you pick a fight with her, I'm afraid you pick a fight with her boyfriend - and that's ME!!

:lol:

Hey - even I liked Rusedski back in '95, Sun bandana an 'all, largely for the same reasons as you. Then I just got more and more irritated by him very quickly.

Graf? It's not her fault that I idolised Gabriela Sabatini, who she kept beating when it mattered: most notably in the '91 Wimbledon final, when Gabi was two points from the title and world number one spot. And it's not her fault that a crazed lunatic stabbed her main rival, Monica Seles, who became my favourite female player in the years following it.

But what sticks in my throat is this:

1. Graf is generally considered to be the greatest women's tennis player of all time. This despite her having a backhand which was a genuine weakness, and despite Seles being all over her for the two to three years prior to being attacked. She won a whole host of Slams because a mad fan of hers stabbed her rival: Gunter Parche got what he wanted.

2. But more than that: after Seles was attacked, Graf incredibly played on in the same tournament, which should surely have been abandoned. And when the top ten players voted on whether Seles' ranking should be protected while she recovered, self-interest ruled OK, and only Sabatini voted that it should. Steffi thought it shouldn't, and I can't forgive her for that. :down:

shaun.lawson

Murray called for the trainer.

:facepalm:

And when he walked back to his chair, a limp could certainly be seen. Hasn't affected his play yet so far, though.

just getting the excuses in early lulling Nadal into a false sense of security :thumbsup:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The injury was to blame. Get tomorrow's headlines written:

MURRAY SPLINT

SCOTLAND THE GRAVE

HIP HIP, AW ****

Say What Again

Did anyone see the BBC Scotland lunchtime news?

They did the usual and went round all the Murray fans at Wimbledon with the See You Jimmy hats on, and had them all shouting "C'mon, Andy" and the likes into the mic.

They ended with a Scot at the front of the queue for tickets.

"What about you, Sir?"

"I hate Andy Murray." Then he rattled of about 5 reasons why.

"So you're not his biggest fan?"

"I hate him"

I'd often wondered what 3inaBednar was up to these days. :lol:

Murray must keep a high 1st serve percentage to win this IMO.

Say What Again

Lol, was one of his reasons 'he's a hobo bas'?

It may well have been, the boy rattled them off that quickly.

I P Knightley

:lol:

Hey - even I liked Rusedski back in '95, Sun bandana an 'all, largely for the same reasons as you. Then I just got more and more irritated by him very quickly.

Graf? It's not her fault that I idolised Gabriela Sabatini, who she kept beating when it mattered: most notably in the '91 Wimbledon final, when Gabi was two points from the title and world number one spot. And it's not her fault that a crazed lunatic stabbed her main rival, Monica Seles, who became my favourite female player in the years following it.

But what sticks in my throat is this:

1. Graf is generally considered to be the greatest women's tennis player of all time. This despite her having a backhand which was a genuine weakness, and despite Seles being all over her for the two to three years prior to being attacked. She won a whole host of Slams because a mad fan of hers stabbed her rival: Gunter Parche got what he wanted.

2. But more than that: after Seles was attacked, Graf incredibly played on in the same tournament, which should surely have been abandoned. And when the top ten players voted on whether Seles' ranking should be protected while she recovered, self-interest ruled OK, and only Sabatini voted that it should. Steffi thought it shouldn't, and I can't forgive her for that. :down:

I'd forgotten about your obsession with Gabby. Far healthier than one with Marion Bartoli, I must say.

The greatest women's tennis player of all time is currently in action on court 18 - Navratilova. But I wouldn't - even if she wanted me to.

I wouldn't wish ill on anyone but I do wish that the likes of Azarenka and Sharapova had taken heed of the risks inherent when you spend your time on a tennis court screaming and grunting like Seles.

Say What Again

Gabriela Sabatini.

It would have been like a craws nest down there.

Guaranteed.

I P Knightley

There's bugger all wrong with Nadal's foot! He's given up on nothing and Murray's been pushing him from side to side better than I've seen him play in ages.

Good stuff so far.

shaun.lawson

I'd forgotten about your obsession with Gabby. Far healthier than one with Marion Bartoli, I must say.

The greatest women's tennis player of all time is currently in action on court 18 - Navratilova. But I wouldn't - even if she wanted me to.

I wouldn't wish ill on anyone but I do wish that the likes of Azarenka and Sharapova had taken heed of the risks inherent when you spend your time on a tennis court screaming and grunting like Seles.

:)

The worst part of all was that Parche wasn't jailed - but instead, given help! And people say our judicial system is too soft...

Shit atmosphere too

It'll build as the match develops. Centre Court on an early Friday evening for a semi-final is one of the most special places in sport. :thumbsup:

Gabriela Sabatini.

It would have been like a craws nest down there.

Guaranteed.

Except, as I discovered only three or four years back, only other women get to find out. I suspect that's why Sabatini was often so unhappy on tour: everyone assumed she was straight, but she isn't. :o

I'm loving this match, by the way. Several times in this set, Murray might've been broken - but he's hung in fantastically well, and now has Nadal at 0-30...

I P Knightley

Woo Hoo!

Murray's playing his own game plan. Great stuff.

(How camp is Boris sounding?)

shaun.lawson

Mentally, Murray was rock solid in that set. Better than I've ever seen him. Can he keep this level up?

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Surprised that there has only been one break of serve so far. These two usually break each others serve for fun.

shaun.lawson

Anyone else getting the boak off the green on his shirt?

Stop moaning, you. :P

Gavsy Van Gaverson

anyone else waiting for the milf over murrys shoulder to spread her legs? :teehee:

I wasn't........but Im looking out for her now.

shaun.lawson

Ha. Nadal in 4 *cough*

Still could be, y'know... :ninja: And speaking of predictions: didn't you categorically state Murray would never win a Slam? Hmm...

hughesie27

Murray is making Nadal look like an amateur with some of these rallies!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I did. FACT

I'm going to eat some humble pie tho and say he's played this set and a half brilliantly

comradejambo

what a miss. chris iwelumo would've put that away.

Steady! Chris would still have missed haha

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Could be a turning point.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Therein lies murray's weakness. Can't hold it together for long enough in the big games. Those five mins were suicidal

I P Knightley

what a miss. chris iwelumo would've put that away.

Maybe so if he'd hit the ball at all.

I sense a slight loss of focus in the hobo bottler but, for heaven's sake, will Nadal's foot injury please just have the slightest effect on him? His movement and pace are sensational.

Edit: replace "slight" with "massive"

hughesie27

Murrays unforced errors are ridiculous in the past few games. Get it over the fecking net you hobo!

comradejambo

Well thats the 2nd set gone...Murray needs to regain the focus he had before! Otherwise he is gone...

Would have taken 1-1 at this stage I'd imagine. Let's hope he can regain his focus.

Are there any parts of the court Rafa can't ******* reach man? :lol:

Would Jamie and Andy Murray have bursds like that if they worked in an office?

:muggy:

Archived