Wimbledon 2011

redm

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vegas-voss

That was was quick

Aye total pish.She has only been on court for about 9 hours for the whole tournament and they get paid the same amount as men.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Aye total pish.She has only been on court for about 9 hours for the whole tournament and they get paid the same amount as men.

That's always been my argument against equal pay - women's tennis is shit in comparison to men's.

shaun.lawson

That was was quick

But very, very impressive from Kvitova. First Grand Slam final, no-one expected her to win this tournament, playing a seasoned opponent and multiple Slam winner... but almost nerveless. Finishing it off with a love game and an ace on Championship point is the mark of a real Champion.

Watching in the stands, I wonder if Navratilova thinks she's just seen a future dominant force? She joins Martina and Jana Novotna as Champions produced by the Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia too.

jack D and coke

I heard McEnroe last week say that basically none of the players can really volley now.

I'd agree with that tbh. They all look awkward when close to the net especially Andy Murray.

He lost his match yesterday Nadal didn't really have to do too much that was exceptional to win. Just had to keep hitting it back to Murray who kept hitting the net or long and wide. Needs to develop more strength imo if he wants to win a slam. Just doesn't have the power of the other three. All the slack shots were just basically down to not having the strength in his arm to properly control them.

vegas-voss

But very, very impressive from Kvitova. First Grand Slam final, no-one expected her to win this tournament, playing a seasoned opponent and multiple Slam winner... but almost nerveless. Finishing it off with a love game and an ace on Championship point is the mark of a real Champion.

Watching in the stands, I wonder if Navratilova thinks she's just seen a future dominant force? She joins Martina and Jana Novotna as Champions produced by the Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia too.

Womens tennis is crazy where are the top seeds from just a few years ago all gone.The Russians and such that were winning the French Open ?.All these number 1 players that can't win slams either.

shaun.lawson

Womens tennis is crazy where are the top seeds from just a few years ago all gone.The Russians and such that were winning the French Open ?.All these number 1 players that can't win slams either.

There's just a lot of parity. The main reason for that has been the power, power, power game of the last decade, which saw off those who, like Hingis, could do something a bit different.

But now, because all top female players can hit the leather off it, strategy is bound to come into play again - and that'll only be good for the sport. This event has seen a number of excellent matches and interesting talking points: Venus against Date in the first week, Lisicki's run, Bartoli's run, both Williams sisters out before the last eight, and now, the emergence of a new, unbelievably calm Champion. Bodes very well IMO.

And just as there's been parity on the women's side, so the dominance of two or three men has turned some people off the men's side. There's pros and cons to all of it, really.

rudi must stay

Correct

he still will IMO. It'll take the top 3 slipping up, but Federer doesn't seem invincible anymore and Nadal is never far away from an injury.

shaun.lawson

he still will IMO. It'll take the top 3 slipping up, but Federer doesn't seem invincible anymore and Nadal is never far away from an injury.

But others are beginning to emerge too. Prodigies win Grand Slams at an early age: meaning it won't be long before it's more likely that someone like Tomic snaffles one before Murray does.

It's a strange one. Plenty of fabulous players down the years have lacked that certain extra something needed to win a Slam - and it must hurt Murray terribly that he's more consistent than, say, Del Potro; but the latter has the weapons required, whereas Murray doesn't.

If Murray was getting really close - say, losing 9-7 in the fifth of a Grand Slam final, or Wimbledon semi, I'd feel differently; but he's yet to win more than one set in a Wimbledon semi, or even a single set in a Grand Slam final. That tells its own story: he just can't sustain the level required for long enough.

I did feel sorry for Murray yesterday but Nadal was a different class.

However, I believe that if Murray had played Del Potro in the quarters he would have lost. His run to the semis was pretty straight forward.

Murray has improved, but unfortunately not to the level of the top 3.

Nadal to beat Djoko tomorrow :thumbsup:

rudi must stay

But others are beginning to emerge too. Prodigies win Grand Slams at an early age: meaning it won't be long before it's more likely that someone like Tomic snaffles one before Murray does.

It's a strange one. Plenty of fabulous players down the years have lacked that certain extra something needed to win a Slam - and it must hurt Murray terribly that he's more consistent than, say, Del Potro; but the latter has the weapons required, whereas Murray doesn't.

If Murray was getting really close - say, losing 9-7 in the fifth of a Grand Slam final, or Wimbledon semi, I'd feel differently; but he's yet to win more than one set in a Wimbledon semi, or even a single set in a Grand Slam final. That tells its own story: he just can't sustain the level required for long enough.

once you take the 3 out of it he has a very good chance because he has too much for the rest IMO. As for prodigies, they are always a danger, but Murray has the advantage over them due to his experience. I think Del Porto should actually be an inspiration, he had no hope to most in that match but didn't get overrawed by the occasion or by who he was playing, that's something so far Murray has definatly been guilty of.

Right Lawson. Any chance of you being wise before the event? I need a men's final correct score to pull me out the shit. I cannot be am serious. A wee prediction on the boxing wouldn't go amiss either.

shaun.lawson

Right Lawson. Any chance of you being wise before the event? I need a men's final correct score to pull me out the shit. I cannot be am serious. A wee prediction on the boxing wouldn't go amiss either.

Boxing? I hope Haye, but think Klitschko in about ten. Tomorrow? Nadal in four. :thumbsup:

Boxing? I hope Haye, but think Klitschko in about ten. Tomorrow? Nadal in four. :thumbsup:

Done. :thumbsup::lol:

Bookies weren't taking bets on "about 10" so I just went for Klitschko in 10.

shaun.lawson

I must say though, only a fool puts money on a heavyweight title fight. Anything can happen y'know... :D

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

History may show that Woods or McIlroy are like Federer or Nadal: that is to say, extraordinary, serial Champions. That depends on Rory, of course - but I said 'top five' golfer, Das Root. Not top one or top two. McIlroy has the ability to dominate his sport; Murray's just one of the best, but not the best.

People see Murray's body language, and him missing shots, and they think "bottler", "he's chucked it" and all the rest of it. They seem to have no clue whatsoever that to beat Nadal over five sets requires even a brilliant player like Murray to play not just very well, but pretty much perfectly. Nadal is unbeaten at Wimbledon since 2007, and has lost one match at the French Open ever. That record is completely insane, even more so given how hard he works in every single match - yet people think the match was in the hands of his opponent?

Ever since learning his trade on the courts of Barcelona, Murray has been a defensive player. That's his style; that's what he knows. But as he's learned, it won't beat Nadal. So today, he tried something completely different: something completely alien to him. "Why can't he play attacking tennis all the time?", people ask; yet he did today. Sure, he nicked a set with it (and even then, Nadal was the better player during the first set: the break with which Murray took it was against the run of play); but over four sets against probably the greatest player in history, naturally enough, it didn't work.

I worry about his demeanour and presence on court too at times: it isn't the demeanour of a Champion at all. But all any tennis player can do is be themselves. No-one will be harder on him than Murray himself after this loss: as I've said before, I think he expected to break his duck in Australia last year, was shellshocked by what followed, and ever since then, has known that in this era of eras, what he has probably isn't quite enough. That must be soul destroying for the guy TBH - but what he could really, really do without are cod psychologists who just don't appreciate what he's up against here at all.

Absolutely this.

He basically has to play his best ever tennis to beat Nadal. That's how good the man is. Fast becoming my favourite ever sportsman. Just stunned every time I watch him.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

:facepalm:

That fight had wlad on points all over it

shaun.lawson

Absolutely this.

He basically has to play his best ever tennis to beat Nadal. That's how good the man is. Fast becoming my favourite ever sportsman. Just stunned every time I watch him.

Yes - I think you're virtually in love with him, aren't you? :lol:

Over on the Guardian blogs, many of the posters insist that Nadal is - wait for it - in decline. That's a guy who, this afternoon, will probably make it five out of the last six Grand Slams won: and if it wasn't for injury, he might well have won all six! In fact, the last time Nadal lost a match at a Slam without being injured was almost two years ago. :o Those same bloggers described Roddick as a "journeyman" after he beat Murray in the '09 semis - dear oh dear. :vrface:

The grass at SW19 is now so slow that Nadal's virtually as unplayable on it as on Parisian clay; and it's been that way for years now. It boggles my mind how underestimated he still is by many. He has everything: and above all, despite being so humble off the court, on it, has a perpetual attitude of: "Right - I've had enough of you. Get the **** off my court NOW!" Note his reaction when, in the middle of another routine drubbing, he loses an exciting point: he looks furious. But that's the standard that's needed, and will be again this afternoon, because of the level Djokovic has reached this year.

shaun.lawson

2 I think

Prediction: Nadal wins 7-5 7-6 4-6 6-3.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Prediction: Nadal wins 7-5 7-6 4-6 6-3.

That's very exact but nadal in four or five sounds right. I'll go for five.

Just a point on nadal being on the slide - he obviously isn't but, at the same time, I don't think he's got too many more years of this type of tennis left in him. I'd be surprised if his body doesn't start complaining soon

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Rusedski offering advice to britain's young generation of tennis prospects. Lawson seething

shaun.lawson

Rusedski offering advice to britain's young generation of tennis prospects. Lawson seething

I missed that. What advice could he possibly give them?

"Abandon your country of birth for reasons of pure convenience, have only one good shot, under-achieve for most of your career, and combust in hilarious fashion in front of everyone"?

shaun.lawson

That's very exact but nadal in four or five sounds right. I'll go for five.

Just a point on nadal being on the slide - he obviously isn't but, at the same time, I don't think he's got too many more years of this type of tennis left in him. I'd be surprised if his body doesn't start complaining soon

Well - it already has, pretty loudly too. When Murray beat an injured Nadal in Australia last year, I wondered if he was finished myself.

But what he seems to have done is greatly reduce his bulk and change his game: I'm sure that if we watched clips of him from 2008, he'd be playing a different style to now. What's remarkable is how much the changes have worked: he's still a brick wall, and as hard to beat - if not harder - as ever.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

:lol:

The US Open finalist and obsessive towel user said something like 'you've got to be committed' or something. A eureka moment for them all, I'm sure.

shaun.lawson

Wish people would stop going on about the Davis Cup. Sure it gave Djokovic a big boost - but he was already playing sensationally well, and that started at the US Open, where he beat Federer in an epic semi-final - one of the best matches in years - to burst back to prominence.

In round 1 of that event, after two and a half years of inconsistency and flattering to deceive, he trailed Victor Troicki by two sets to one and was in trouble in the fourth. He came back, went through, and has never looked back since. I think that was the turning point.

shaun.lawson

Eyeball to eyeball in the first set - and Djokovic comes out on top, 6-4. Is he in Nadal's head a bit?

If we didn't already know it beforehand, we have a match on our hands. :thumbsup:

Eyeball to eyeball in the first set - and Djokovic comes out on top, 6-4. Is he in Nadal's head a bit?

If we didn't already know it beforehand, we have a match on our hands. :thumbsup:

Not in his head.

Simply better at this moment in time.

Novak's on fire.

shaun.lawson

Five games in a row for Djokovic, who is playing like God. Nadal's biggest test in years.

shaun.lawson

Not in his head.

Simply better at this moment in time.

Novak's on fire.

Fair enough - but he's now won seven sets in a row against Nadal, and is currently on course for an eighth in a row. Considering four of those were on clay, that's unbelievable!

vegas-voss

Novak has been brilliant in this match.I don't think I have every seen anyone boss Nadal like this before.

Fair enough - but he's now won seven sets in a row against Nadal, and is currently on course for an eighth in a row. Considering four of those were on clay, that's unbelievable!

Nadal's mental strength is phenomenal, just find it hard to believe I guess!

Maybe times are changing in Tennis?

Would LOVE to see a comeback.

Why do the BBC use Andrew Castle instead of the vastly superior Mark Petchy. Castle's a boring *****!

vegas-voss

Novak has far more variety to his game than Rafa but because of his sheer will to win he is always in in it but he is taking a pasting out there.Novak is like Federer with added power today and Rafa looks totally frustrated at the fact that he ain't bossing it.

vegas-voss

Nadal's mental strength is phenomenal, just find it hard to believe I guess!

Maybe times are changing in Tennis?

Would LOVE to see a comeback.

I wouldn't I think Tennis needs a new Wimbledon Champion.

vegas-voss

******* hell I better get on a gluten free diet if thus is what it does for.Novak is brilliant

shaun.lawson

Novak has been brilliant in this match.I don't think I have every seen anyone boss Nadal like this before.

I have - but never on grass or clay. What Del Potro did to Nadal in the 2009 US Open semis (6-2 6-2 6-2!), Djokovic is doing to him here.

This is staggering, terrifying, monumental stuff.

shaun.lawson

Just in so has this been as one sided as it looks?

First set was close, and of a very high standard - but since Djokovic came from 30-0 down to break Nadal in the tenth game of that set and win it, he's been completely and utterly unstoppable, and playing tennis from another galaxy.

Still doesn't mean it's over, mind!

vegas-voss

I have - but never on grass or clay. What Del Potro did to Nadal in the 2009 US Open semis (6-2 6-2 6-2!), Djokovic is doing to him here.

This is staggering, terrifying, monumental stuff.

Do you think it just shows if you can match Nadal with the power play from the back of the court then he is some what limited after that.Of course that takes some doing in it's own though.As I type Novak is having a wee wobble

One things for sure, there should be a sodding limit on how long you feck about bouncing the ball before serving. FFS just get on with it man. :down:

The Old Tolbooth

I've never seen Djokovic play tennis like this before, he's been unplayable so far, but Nadal having the break in the 3rd set could make it very interesting.

Come on Nadal!! :thumbsup:

shaun.lawson

Do you think it just shows if you can match Nadal with the power play from the back of the court then he is some what limited after that.Of course that takes some doing in it's own though.As I type Novak is having a wee wobble

I think it shows that to beat Nadal, you have to play tennis from another planet. JMDP did that throughout the '09 US Open, and Djokovic has done that in this final. But if your level drops at all, Nadal's right back in there, which is in itself terrifying.

Chris Benoit

First set was close, and of a very high standard - but since Djokovic came from 30-0 down to break Nadal in the tenth game of that set and win it, he's been completely and utterly unstoppable, and playing tennis from another galaxy.

Still doesn't mean it's over, mind!

I wouldn't bet against Nadal 2 sets and match point down. 3-0 up set 3 :thumbsup:

Archived