Election night

Boomstick

So hypothetically, with 49.9% of the vote in Clydesdale am I right in thinking that if all the tories voted labour as their second choice (unlikely I know) under AV then Labour would win the seat?

I know I should have had this sussed before the AV vote and that's why I didn't vote.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geoff Kilpatrick

So Labour are going to be made up of even more junior town councillors?

:rofl: GIRUY!

Harry Palmer

Possibility of Libs losing Central/Southern/West in Edinburgh.....

Please be Central so I can be :smuggy:

Boomstick

With the way it's looking it could be all three.

Radioactive Mince

Any idea when Edinburgh West is likely to be declared? Would be amazing if SNP won the seat here. :thumbsup:

Would not be surprised, TBH. The only party with a positive story in the last 4 years, having opposed the trams fiasco from the absolute outset... It's the main bone of contention in the area right now.

Sally askin each and every one of them "So............what the **** just happened?"

Sally must be fearing for her job within the British Broadcasting Corporation in a (potentially) independent Scotland, IMO.

Am I getting carried away with the perceived significance of this all, guys?

Noises being made that SNP could be in with a chance in Edin Central as well as South and West.

Can't wait for the Gray announcement. :lol:

Boomstick

Sally must be fearing for her job within the British Broadcasting Corporation in a (potentially) independent Scotland, IMO.

Am I getting carried away with the perceived significance of this all, guys?

Even if the SNP win with an overall majority independence will be a long way off. Salmond has said it would be midway through the second term that the referendum would be held so circa 2013, although it might be better if he waits longer to throw that one out there.

Not at all.

Seeing the country radically change its voting pattern is exciting.

A total trouncing will help the Labour party clear out the dross, of which there's a lot in Scotland, regroup and refocus and come back strong in the future. It'll be a bitter pill to swallow but sometimes you have to take your medicine.

Always wonder if independence would be better for Labour. One the SNP wouldn't be on the radar, but mainly they could fight on their own merits and not have to think "Westminster first, Holyrood second" in their campaign.

Harry Palmer

Noises being made that SNP could be in with a chance in Edin Central as well as South and West.

Can't wait for the Gray announcement. :lol:

10mins...

As it was my 'home' constituency for 25yrs and it was always Labour......

Hope they've found some sense. :thumbsup:

Radioactive Mince

I can see Lib Dems losing ALL their Scottish seats (apart from Shetland - 9,000 voters shouldn't be a constituency in the first place IMO).

J Cheever Loophole

:lol:

My mum calls her Mrs. Doubtfire. She's a good politician though.

I agree but I wouldn't ride her into battle.teehee.gif

ToYouToMe

Not at all.

Seeing the country radically change its voting pattern is exciting.

A total trouncing will help the Labour party clear out the dross, of which there's a lot in Scotland, regroup and refocus and come back strong in the future. It'll be a bitter pill to swallow but sometimes you have to take your medicine.

Fair play to you.

Radioactive Mince

Even if the SNP win with an overall majority independence will be a long way off. Salmond has said it would be midway through the second term that the referendum would be held so circa 2013, although it might be better if he waits longer to throw that one out there.

I'm aware of that, but I can still feel the fear in the loaded questions and mast-nailing of the commentary team at times.

See, I can ascertain that an SNP vote is not necessarily a vote for independence, but can those embroiled in the nonsense of the unionist parties?

With a clear majority in parliament could be they push for a Scottish tv channel taking money from the Beeb based on tv licence fee payments in Scotland.

I can see Lib Dems losing ALL their Scottish seats (apart from Shetland - 9,000 voters shouldn't be a constituency in the first place IMO).

Natural sea barrier with a fair distance to the mainland. Plus they're all blooming weird, best to leave them alone ;)

Labour making gains south of the border.

Gray's seat is far too tight for a party leader. If he goes, megalolz will await.

The People's Chimp

With a clear majority in parliament could be they push for a Scottish tv channel taking money from the Beeb based on tv licence fee payments in Scotland.

It would be interesting to see what a boldly confident SNP would do in the next term, and what effect that kind of move might have on those voters who have voted SNP but don't support independence.

Only a 3.7% swing for Gray to lose his seat...

When is that predicted to come through? I'd sleep a lot easier knowing he was gone.

Harry Palmer

Natural sea barrier with a fair distance to the mainland. Plus they're all blooming weird, best to leave them alone ;)

Awaits a poster with some kids bad guy as an avatar to respond! Mind you, you could be right in the weird thing! :lol:

Haddington bawbags clearly recounting....

5mins or so...

It would be interesting to see what a boldly confident SNP would do in the next term, and what effect that kind of move might have on those voters who have voted SNP but don't support independence.

They'll give themselves a period of time to put a strong agenda before the public.

Boomstick

When is that predicted to come through? I'd sleep a lot easier knowing he was gone.

Soon. Within the hour.

Airdrie and coatbridge advertiser sports reporter has just tweeted that he has lost.

http://twitter.com/#!/acadvertiser

3 I think

Harry Palmer

What a cheesing bawbag...... relief? Or a grimace?

Few folk saying Gray has already lost his seat. :rofl:

Please be true!

Boomstick

Few folk saying Gray has already lost his seat. :rofl:

Please be true!

Look at my post immediately before your last one. :thumbsup:

What a cheesing bawbag...... relief?

it wouldnt ruin the night. but it would take the shine off it.

still, seeing him shuffling about holyrood would be a lasting reminder.

The People's Chimp

They'll give themselves a period of time to put a strong agenda before the public.

Indeed. I think they'd be pretty daft to go steaming in before any referendum, and will probably just continue in a similar vein. To do anything else would be very risky, but you never know what might happen if they get carried away.

SNP could take 59 out of 73 constituency seats...woosh! Unlikely to hit those heights, but when you add on list MPs? Majority with any luck :)

Please be correct. :thumbsup:

Haddington result imminent now.

Just saw that after I posted, I'm not on twitter but my mate is telling me all the rumours via facebook. :lol:

Mr Sifter

I voted SNP all the way today.

Do I want an independant Scotland? Nope.

But I can explain that at the referendum so it's all good.

Boomstick

Just saw that after I posted, I'm not on twitter but my mate is telling me all the rumours via facebook. :lol:

I only got that because I.J retweeted it. messed if I'm following the sports reporter from the Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser.

Indeed. I think they'd be pretty daft to go steaming in before any referendum, and will probably just continue in a similar vein. To do anything else would be very risky, but you never know what might happen if they get carried away.

Salmond is far more calculated than that, he's held off on a referendum before, he'll not rush into one off the back of one good election.

Harry Palmer

Are they counting them in front of the candidates?

Gray: "Count them again!"

I voted SNP all the way today.

Do I want an independant Scotland? Nope.

But I can explain that at the referendum so it's all good.

Many people have realised that the SNP are by far the best option for Scotland right now, and like yourself they don't all support Independence. It looks like the SNP have had a great night, so the real work is convincing people like you and me that we should vote in favour of Independence when the referendum comes.

Boomstick

Checking spoilt ballots.

It's coming soon.

Hugh Phamism

My missus is a supervisor at the Edinburgh count at Ingelston. I think ceratin criteria have to be met before a recount can be requested, but didn't really listen when she was explaining it to me.

:whistling:

The Gasman

Looks like they're going through a few dozen ballot papers that are not all that clear. Might suggest that it is very close there, and Grey looks a beaten man.

Hugh Phamism

BBC are saying that the Tvish Scott and Iain Grey results are expected in next 15 mins.......

Boomstick

BBC are saying that the Tvish Scott and Iain Grey results are expected in next 15 mins.......

Tavish Scott will hold.

Very interested to see Gray's result.

Denny Crane

SNP have more money.....

:munny:

Archived