Election night

Boomstick

Big gain for SNP, Lib Dems take a hammering.

Lost their deposit. Wonder if that will be reflected nationwide?

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Gasman

Would've been nice if he'd analysed the seat where I live - it's apparently the 4th closest marginal - interesting because it's been a liberal seat for, I think, two terms now. The 2007 margin would've been between Labour & Lib Dem. Not sure if the public anywhere trust these parties now. Can see it being close between Labour and SNP in Dunfermline.

The moving of the boundaries muddies the water in a lot of cases.

ToYouToMe

We need good parliamentarians, good orators, controversial voices.

No matter what you think of him, Galloway ticks all of those boxes.

Yeah, that is what we really need at this time of financial crisis. A guy who is good at talking a load of guff.

The People's Chimp

Big gain for SNP, Lib Dems take a hammering.

Mike Russell crowing already, but the snp vote seems to be an almost wholesale drift from the lib dems to the nats.

Lost their deposit. Wonder if that will be reflected nationwide?

I think it will, they've taken a beating in areas south of the border as well. Like others have said, Lib Dem > SNP vote shift looks like it might be replicated across the country.

Yeah, that is what we really need at this time of financial crisis. A guy who is good at talking a load of guff.

The only person that gives Salmond a run for his money in the chamber is Annabel Goldie, having another member that can match Salmond rhetorically is no bad thing.

Mike Russell crowing already, but the snp vote seems to be an almost wholesale drift from the lib dems to the nats.

It'll be interesting to see how that plays out in some of the less secure Labour seats.

The People's Chimp

Have you ever actually listened to him?

Putting aside the fact you've obviously bought the tory narrative on "financial crisis" I'd counter that opposition to the wholesale slashing of public services is exactly what we need at this time, yes.

The People's Chimp

It'll be interesting to see how that plays out in some of the less secure Labour seats.

I think it will play out in the same way. A Labour vote "holding" essentially, while the LD vote transfers pretty much intact over to the SNP.

Really hope Galloway gets a seat and Alex Salmond remains FM. It'll be brilliant.

ToYouToMe

Have you ever actually listened to him?

Putting aside the fact you've obviously bought the tory narrative on "financial crisis" I'd counter that opposition to the wholesale slashing of public services is exactly what we need at this time, yes.

Back in the real world...there is a massive national debt to deal with, run up by years of mismanagement by successive Labour governments.

wright1989

For some complete novice in this subject does the last vote give more seats to the SNP? Or is it one seat for Labour? Thanks in advance.

Almond Valley

SNP 58%

Labour 34%

Linlithgow

SNP 54%

Labour 38%

Falkirk East

SNP 53%

Labour 33%

if the likes of andy kerr do actually lose their seats it could be an interesting evening. i do wonder just what i'll wake up to tomorrow.

Thats a swing of around (atleast) 2,000 votes. Ian Gray is at about 2,500 :whistling:

Boomstick

For some complete novice in this subject does the last vote give more seats to the SNP? Or is it one seat for Labour? Thanks in advance.

The last declaration was a seat for Labour, although the Liberal Democrat vote dropped massively while the SNP vote was a lot higher.

If Lib Dem voters have jumped to the Nats then it could be very influential.

The People's Chimp

Back in the real world...there is a massive national debt to deal with, run up by years of mismanagement by successive Labour governments.

Do you really intend to turn this thread into yet another debate on cuts/debts/deficits? Poor show. We can if you want, but there's been a million other threads on which to debate this.

Boomstick

Do you really intend to turn this thread into yet another debate on cuts/debts/deficits? Poor show. We can if you want, but there's been a million other threads on which to debate this.

No we can ******* not.

wright1989

Glad that's been cleared up, thanks. Trying to get my head round this as I've took no interest in politics since recently.

Found myself watching question time quite a bit. :o

:blink:

Labour > SNP voting by the sounds of it in a safe Labour seat. Again, if this is indicative of the rest of the country it could be some result we're looking at tomorrow.

Boomstick

John Houston is LOVING his moment in the spotlight.

Andy Kerr out...

I think it will play out in the same way. A Labour vote "holding" essentially, while the LD vote transfers pretty much intact over to the SNP.

Maybe not. :jjyay:

The People's Chimp

No we can ******* not.

Yes, you're right, we can't. I just wanted to make it clear I wasn't running from a battle. thumbsup.gif

Goldstone Wonder

Apparently Kerr isn't on the list so that's the end of him. Gray's been an absolute holocaust for Labour.

Harry Palmer

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

GIRUY Kerr!

:pleasing:

Please don't tell me this dick is on the List. :unsure:

Apparently Kerr isn't on the list so that's the end of him. Gray's been an absolute holocaust for Labour.

Gray and Baillie are not on the list either...

Boomstick

Just heard on facebook that word on the street is that the SNP will take Edinburgh West.

That will be astonishing.

The People's Chimp

Maybe not. :jjyay:

Again, in EK, 7% away from LD to SNP. It's the same picture, the majority of the LDs votes switching over to the SNP.

Just heard on facebook that word on the street is that the SNP will take Edinburgh West.

That will be astonishing.

Who's the incumbent?

Goldstone Wonder

How many times tonight are we going to hear "obviously this is a difficult night for the party, there's no getting away from that" from a Lib Dem flunky?

Boomstick

Who's the incumbent?

Margaret Smith. Lib Dem.

Has been a Lib Dem stronghold for years.

Again, in EK, 7% away from LD to SNP. It's the same picture, the majority of the LDs votes switching over to the SNP.

Aye, 3% drop for Labour in a safe seat is shocking though.

Remember, Kerr had been sounded out as a fallback for Gray, now he's not even on the list so that's a massive hit for them. Even Gray's seat was by no means certain before tonight, looks like he could be out on his arse if this trend continues.

Goldstone Wonder

Margaret Smith is the Lib Dem incumbent. It's the 3rd safest seat for them apparently.

Boomstick

Just glad I never got quoted there...

Mike Crockart is the incumbent MP.

The People's Chimp

Aye, 3% drop for Labour in a safe seat is shocking though.

Remember, Kerr had been sounded out as a fallback for Gray, now he's not even on the list so that's a massive hit for them. Even Gray's seat was by no means certain before tonight, looks like he could be out on his arse if this trend continues.

Very true. But 3% drops in a safe seat not usually enough to turn the seat, so you take drops in the labour vote, probably as a result of "the gray factor" and then add on an even bigger switch from LD to SNP and you could well have a massive number of shock results.

The labour policy in respect of not standing on the list and in constituencies might well be given a rethink after tonight. Interesting to hear the views about the fact Fabiani has been "shadowing as MSP for last 12 years" as she was on the list, bit of straw clutching but it was labour's own policy so they can hardly complain.

Just glad I never got quoted there...

Mike Crockart is the incumbent MP.

Is this incumbent a cross dresser maybe? ;)

Boomstick

The returning officer looks the same person all the time

That's because he's done 2 out of the 3 so far...

The Gasman

Down south, 12 of the 13 LibDem Councilors in Nick Clegg's own constituency have lost their seats. I think he's killed his party stone dead, so how long can he last, and how long can the ConDem coalition last now? :blink:

The Comedian

another snp gain. labour and lib dems to be obliterated. Could be an astonishing night for snp. Love it.

The returning officer looks the same person all the time

i think it is.

Archived