Election night

Boomstick

that's because you're not comparing like with like, you are correct in that in a wholly FPTP system a majority of 9 wouldn't be classed as a landslide. but if we compare like with like they have taken 53 of the 73 FPTP seats available - approx 73% of all fptp seats. That's a pretty darn impressive result.

The top up lists have countered the lack of proportionality there to bring things down a bit but given the voting system any majority is highly impressive.

I look forward to all the anti AV ConLabs who were not elected FPTP refusing to sit in Holyrood on a matter of principle. May need a hubble telescope.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Victorian

You're unlikely to see this kind of result again (for the SNP) for a long, long time. This is mould-breaking stuff, once in a generation, maybe once in a lifetime. It's conceivable that we could see something similar for Labour if things went really badly for the SNP over the next term. But the remarkable thing is that the SNP is now the mainstream in Scottish politics. People of all social classes and backgrounds who would previously have voted Labour or Lib-Dem have flocked to the SNP in this election. It has always been a broad church, but it just got a whole lot broader. The Tories have been toxic here for a long time, but Labour and the Lib-Dems are looking none too healthy or respectable either.

When you look back to the 1970s and the mad excitement over the odd by-election victory, you realise how much has changed. Independence is only part of the picture now, and no matter what happens in a referendum the SNP - swings and roundabouts notwithstanding - is here to stay as one of the main social democratic players in Scottish politics. And the country is much the better for it.

yeah, agree with that.

the SNP are mainstream and it could also be argued that labour's problem right now is that they too are a bland mainstream party, rather than the movement of the working class as they were. i highly suspect that many within the labour party centre ground are lamenting the overall shift of the party from the hard left to the middle ground.

scottish politics looks quite vibrant right now, but perhaps only a superficial vibrancy. other than independence, there are no particularly interesting hot debating points. the parties are all quite close in general.

for the future, if independence fails to materialise then the SNP could be seen as a bit of a dead duck for a while. alex salmond is already on record as saying that an independence referendum should not be brought forward any more often than roughly every 20 years or so. they could end up being a party operating whilst unable to fulfill their own raison d'etre.

yeah, agree with that.

the SNP are mainstream and it could also be argued that labour's problem right now is that they too are a bland mainstream party, rather than the movement of the working class as they were. i highly suspect that many within the labour party centre ground are lamenting the overall shift of the party from the hard left to the middle ground.

scottish politics looks quite vibrant right now, but perhaps only a superficial vibrancy. other than independence, there are no particularly interesting hot debating points. the parties are all quite close in general.

for the future, if independence fails to materialise then the SNP could be seen as a bit of a dead duck for a while. alex salmond is already on record as saying that an independence referendum should not be brought forward any more often than roughly every 20 years or so. they could end up being a party operating whilst unable to fulfill their own raison d'etre.

Certainly a huge kicking in an independence referendum might - probably would - lead to a period in opposition. But my argument would be that independence is no longer the sole raison d' ?tre of the party, if indeed it ever was. It can't be. Even if independence was achieved, the SNP isn't going to dissolve itself the next day and melt away into the background. Personally I think a massive amount of planning will go into the referendum, and I'll be surprised if it ends up being a straight shit-or-bust yes/no vote. Salmond's feel for Realpolitik will ensure that the lowest-risk strategy is pursued.

Victorian

Certainly a huge kicking in an independence referendum might - probably would - lead to a period in opposition. But my argument would be that independence is no longer the sole raison d' ?tre of the party, if indeed it ever was. It can't be. Even if independence was achieved, the SNP isn't going to dissolve itself the next day and melt away into the background. Personally I think a massive amount of planning will go into the referendum, and I'll be surprised if it ends up being a straight shit-or-bust yes/no vote. Salmond's feel for Realpolitik will ensure that the lowest-risk strategy is pursued.

it would certainly be a real blow to this generation - and the next - of SNP politicians that they would have to settle for governing a devolved parliament, rather than pursuing the immediate goal of independence. i suppose they would have little choice.

it could be argued that the SNP should more or less immediately dissolve if independence did happen. the prime directive would have been delivered and the SNP could be seen as having no further purpose in it's current guise. it would of course transmogrify into some other form.

the details of the referendum could be interesting. the number of questions, the actual wording of the questions, the percentage yes vote required to pass the vote. given the limited number of people deciding such a huge change for the entire UK population of 65,000,000+, would a simple <50% yes share be acceptable? i'm not so sure.

inspector

FS, I'll do it. :rolleyes:

Save a fortune on printing costs.

Always fancied being the father of a successful politician :rolleyes:

ToadKiller Dog

Tavish Spock standing down as Lib Dumbs Scottish leader . Just the Hyacinth Bucket in the Tory part to go.

J Cheever Loophole

Tavish Spock standing down as Lib Dumbs Scottish leader . Just the Hyacinth Bucket in the Tory part to go.

laugh.gif

Harry Palmer

Save a fortune on printing costs.

Always fancied being the father of a successful politician :rolleyes:

:lol:

:lol:

"I'm a woman....."

:what:

Archived