The Ashes

Boris

stirlingshirejambo

Great bowling by Swann to capture Clarke like that. He's had an awful series and there's no way he should follow Ponting in the captaincy.

I'm not sure of the Aussie psyche but bearing in mind there seems to be no obvious successor to Ponting,and Clarke out of form, I reckon he will retain the captaincy for Sydney

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stirlingshirejambo

Cause Strauss is defensive in most aspects of his captaincy, field placings and declerations being 2 prime examples.

With Harris on crutches will England try to claim the extra half hour

Geoff Kilpatrick

If Ponting quits, surely Hussey is the likely replacement as captain?

Absolutely tremendous Test for England so far.

Hussey is in his mid-30s. They should turn to Haddin.

thehibsareintheirbeds

Haddin maybe the only option after this series, didnt see that coming when it started. Done a good job with gloves and bat while all around him was falling to pieces. Really suprised clarke or ponting didn't come good and at least get some kind of score today.

Anyway job almost done, what an amazing 3 days- bresnan eh, who'd have thunk it. Well worth the sleep deprivation!

Haddin is only a couple of years younger. He will be nearly 36 at the time of the next Ashes.

I would go for Hussey as a holding operation captain with the hope that someone else emerges for that Ashes series. Also hope that Ponting will continue as a player. With the captaincy off his shoulders he might reflourish as a batsman.

Full transcript of what Ricky Ponting said in Fourth Test flashpoint, exclusively made up by our top lip-reading staff?

Aw, mate. Come on Aleem mate, give me a break. I?m dying over here. Do you know how hard it is, captaining this bunch? Have you any idea what it?s like, having to explain to Mitchell and Sidds that we haven?t got a wicket because of technology? Mitch thinks that a can opener is pretty much designed by NASA. Young Pete here won?t eat out of anything other than a wooden bowl. And you want me to explain to them that your decision is down to inconclusive thermal imaging readings? Mate, I might as well tell them that Santa Claus has hijacked the third umpire?s booth and turned all the machines into toads. I know Santa Claus isn?t a wizard, mate. You know that, I know that. It?s just easier to explain certain things to Mitch in certain ways.

But that?s not the issue here, Aleem, mate. Look, we really need something. He definitely hit it. Brad said so. Has Brad ever lied to you in this series? Mate, look at his little face. He?s still recovering from those nasty things Andrew Strauss said to him at Adelaide. Yeah, personal stuff, Aleem. About his appearance. Public schoolboys can be very cutting, mate. Cruel. You know his rabbit died? His beloved pet rabbit? Well, it did, and Brad?s been under a lot of strain ? I really worry about how he?s going to take this.

For crying out loud, Aleem. Just listen to me. Listen. I?m not shouting mate, I?m honestly not. Okay, okay. I?m not jabbing my finger. That?s just a friendly way to make a point. No, not pointing my finger. A point like an argument. No, not arguing with you mate, I?m just asking if? I?m not shouting, just trying to be clear? I?m just asking if you?re certain that the hotspot you can see on the screen? That screen! That massive screen! Look! Up there! Are you blind, for crying out loud? Okay, I shouldn?t have said that, I?m sorry, just having a bit of laugh between two mates, Aleem, mate, ha ha ha.

Look, seriously, Aleem. This technology is a load of bull anyway. Everybody knows that the umpire on the pitch is the main man. These suits, they?re trying to cut you off at the knees mate. That?s why I have always, always respected every decision made by the bloke on the field and accepted it without a murmur. It?s you and me, Aleem. Mate, they want to replace you with a robot and I am not prepared to let that happen. Don?t do it for me mate, do it for unborn future umpires. Do it for cricket.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/alantyers/100014646/ricky-ponting-to-umpire-aleem-dar-what-was-said/

Geoff Kilpatrick

Apparently there are big queues still outside the G. Not enough gates opened for some reason.

stirlingshirejambo

Job done

Well done Englandthumbsup.gif

Off to bed now

an early night many thanks to Jonathon Tott ad Tim Bresnan

Listening to Ponting he sounds gutted..... tremendous rying to blame it on losing toss

Geoff Kilpatrick

Seriously..... Who gives a feck???? Rounders!

I give a feck.

I believe you are getting confused with baseball.

Seriously..... Who gives a feck???? Rounders!

18 pages and 700+ replies would suggest that more than some on the board do give a feck.

What part of the thread title 'THE ASHES' did you not understand?, if you dont like cricket then dont read a thread about FECKING cricket!!!!!!

Anyway rant over, just have to say that was extremely pleasing to watch, the office this morning has the air of death about it, the death of ricky pointing et all test careers.

An opening that failded to get off the mark once and some shameful decsion making at the crease throughout have made this very easy for England, who although played some cracking stuff at times still look a longway short of the world beaters that this may appear to make them.

My tuppence......

The saturation coverage on UK news is ridiculous for what is an "exclusive" sporting fixture.

The Ashes are about as exciting and newsworthy to "non participants" as tossing a coin.

The winning of such an exclusive event is again, to "non participants" about as significant as the next door neighbours bairn winning a cream egg at the Sunday School sack race.

Geoff Kilpatrick

My tuppence......

The saturation coverage on UK news is ridiculous for what is an "exclusive" sporting fixture.

The Ashes are about as exciting and newsworthy to "non participants" as tossing a coin.

The winning of such an exclusive event is again, to "non participants" about as significant as the next door neighbours bairn winning a cream egg at the Sunday School sack race.

Thanks for your input.

Of course, your second point is incorrect given the number of countries showing the series but I won't disabuse you of your prejudice.

stirlingshirejambo

My tuppence......

Of course ever one is entitled to their own opinion however this is a major sporting event and deserves massive coverage in my opnion. A game attended by a crowd in excess of 90,000 including 25,000 who travelled half way across the word must be seen to have major appeal.ii

It is an event like the Ryder Cup and only played every 2 years and anticipated with great enthusiasm.

The fact that England have won it for first time in 26 years again makes it newsworthy.

I have no interest in the imepndng Royal Weddings but I can understand the need to give it plenty news space to the many people who are intersted.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Time to be smug now.

Which Aussies would get into the England team? Hussey, Haddin and Siddle I reckon.

Combined Team

Strauss

Cook

Trott

Pietersen

Hussey

Bell

Haddin

Swann

Tremlett

Siddle

Anderson

I concur! thumbsup.gif

Guess The Crowd

A couple of further thoughts from the bit I watched last night.

Why on earth didn't the Aussies play Haddin at 3 or 4?

More worryingly, under his batting helmet, Siddle looked disturbingly like Neil Lennon :verymad:

Get this stuff back on terrestrial TV NOW :smiliz23:

Tours have never been on terrestrial TV, although highlights have been on ITV4 for this series.

Time to be smug now.

Which Aussies would get into the England team? Hussey, Haddin and Siddle I reckon.

There's enough foreigners in the bloody team already. 2 Aussies and it would be a world select. dry.gif

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Tours have never been on terrestrial TV, although highlights have been on ITV4 for this series.

I'm quite sure that they were around 20-30 years ago dry.gif

I'm quite sure that they were around 20-30 years ago dry.gif

Live cricket from the other side of the world 30 years ago? I think you're talking nonsense :thumbsup:

20 years ago yes on Sky.

Miller Jambo 60

Live cricket from the other side of the world 30 years ago? I think you're talking nonsense :thumbsup:

20 years ago yes on Sky.

Should have played for Scotland, but broke my thumb.

Bit of a bummer in this instance

I recall being horified when the BBC lost the contract......................but was more than pleasantly surprised

at the C4 coverage with hawkeye, snickometers and all that :thumbsup:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Punter is out for the rest of the Australian summer with his broken finger.

Indeed

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/the-ashes/australian-captain-ricky-ponting-out-of-fifth-test/story-fn67w6pa-1225978693852

This is conveniently to trial Clarke as a test captain. Even more reason for England to win in Sydney now! :thumb:

Should have played for Scotland, but broke my thumb.

btw as this is a Hearts forum, a former Scotland cricket captain was the 4th official at the last Hearts home game :geek:

Before the series started Australia named a 17 man squad and have ended up calling in an 18th with Beer making his debut today. This sums up Australia's problem and is very reminiscent of England struggles in the past. Few of the players are real performers so the selectors don't have an easy job to know what their best team is.

England need to finish the job off in Sydney. I'm lucky enough to have been twice. I saw Goughie's hat trick back in 98-99 and was there for the 1st day 8 years ago .... it was the same day as the 4-4 derby draw btw

Straussy to win the toss and bat :thumbsup:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Much is being made of Khawaja's background here as he breaks the "white Aussie" mould. Asking him to bat 3 with Jimmy bowling as well as he has been is a big ask.

Much is being made of Khawaja's background here as he breaks the "white Aussie" mould. Asking him to bat 3 with Jimmy bowling as well as he has been is a big ask.

Is he any good

A whole hour without losing a wicket

Could make a game of this

Aussies are are leaving a lot off balls

Could be a long day and half of bowling for England

Bed time for Flecktimus

Yeeesssssssssssssssssssssss a wicket

only 55 runs in a session, wonder when was the last time the Aussies had a score as low as that

stirlingshirejambo

Hughes the rabbit flatters to deceive again! :pleasing:

Good mornings proper test cricket

Grinding out a test innings then a vital wicket before lunch.

Be a nervous lunch for the debutant

stirlingshirejambo

Good mornings proper test cricket

Grinding out a test innings then a vital wicket before lunch.

Be a nervous lunch for the debutant

so much for nerves

looks very confident

stirlingshirejambo

Watson gone!

When if ever is he going to tansfer his good stats to a century

Clarke sounds nervous but the rain may be on the way

stirlingshirejambo

Early start tonight hopefully the weather will allow a full days play

England have to press home the advantage and ge he vital wicket of Hussey

Archived