The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Recently read...

Charles Bukowski - Factotum (excellent)

Jon Ronson - Lost at Sea (he is one of my favourite writers - very funny guy)

Now reading....

Jack D Hunter - The Blue Max

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The People's Chimp

Just finished Charles Bukowski - Post Office.

Incredibly funny as well as very sad in parts. Have read a few of his books now and they have all been such a great read.

All his books are a great read. Like many, I went through a period of hoovering up 20th century American lit across the bukowski/hunter thompson/dodge/Kerouac spectrum. And I'm a better man for it.

Absolutely loved The Stand, was an amazing read and I was constantly finding time to read just one more chapter, or even one more page.

However, my only problem with it was the ending. The book was so in depth and went on for absolutely ages which was amazing. Then the end seemed to be done very quickly. It felt rushed, and I know if he'd carried on he would have missed deadlines, and the book would have been about an extra 300 pages, but it would have been so much better.

Not long finished Needful Things and like The Stand I thought King rushed the ending and could have spent an extra 200 pages or so on the conclusion.

to end a story on a silly magic trick that Alan Pangborn played for the kids I felt was an easy and quick way to end the book and personally ruined the story for me

Edited by Marvin

American-Rust-by-Philipp--001.jpg

One of the best novels I've read in a long time. Fantastic characters all with their own clear voice. Did not want it to end. Looking forward to reading Meyer's next book The Son soon. Highly recommended for anyone who likes gritty American fiction. :thumb:

Picked this up in FOPP for a couple of quid - was not aware that there had been a writer who had written more Bond books than Fleming. Not sure I'd search out any more of his books.

51xpBzUBI4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-66,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Next up

51V7QT2D9XL.jpg

$T2eC16JHJHsFGlGzglvJBSWWSn2DJw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Just finished this. Sabbath is one of the most grotesque, immoral and unpleasant anti-heros I've come across in recent American literature. The whole novel is sexually explicit from start to finish and it gets a bit much at times. Marvellous use of language, though - Roth really is a great writer.

$T2eC16N,%21zEE9s3%21WozmBQ4%29%294N5Cw%7E%7E_32.JPG?set_id=89040003C1

Have also come to the end of the above - it's about all facets of translation, more from a literary and historical than a technical perspective, but with general reflections about languages and how we use them. Fascinating in places, duller in others.

This.

51xEGv5G4xL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

and also a shameless plug for Mr Niven, who in my opinion, is the best Scottish novelist - stuff it - THE BEST NOVELIST of his generation.

This will be a major film release in 2014.

41yHCy2b7IL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU02_AA160_.jpg

And this is the best novel of the century (so far)

41s6eHUILKL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU02_AA160_.jpg

Very short and populist but tells the incredible story of the various debt builds in Greece, Ireland, the US etc. Unfortunately no coverage of China or the UK. But a good guide to the financial crisis for anyone surprised that RBS is still announcing losses.

boomerang_gq_21dec11_642.jpg

Next up is the usual classic writing from Mark Twain. Enjoying the humour in this so far.

roughing-it-mark-twain-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Operation Sea Lion - Peter Fleming

Only started it last night - well written do far at a pace that just not just throw statistic after fact at you. Have never really read anything too deep about this theatre of the war.

• 2 weeks later...

The Day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth

Excellent read so far.

Any good?

(I discovered last night, by chance, where I imagine "Gigalo Aunt" comes from. I thought "WTF" as it came on and saw the track listing)

Any good?

(I discovered last night, by chance, where I imagine "Gigalo Aunt" comes from. I thought "WTF" as it came on and saw the track listing)

Only about 50 pages in but its really good so far. Can vaguely remember watching the Edward Fox film when I was younger so its not been spoiled.

Was it the Barrett album you were listening to?

Edited by Gigolo-Aunt

Only about 50 pages in but its really good so far. Can vaguely remember watching the Edward Fox film when I was younger so its not been spoiled.

Was it the Barrett album you were listening to?

Sure was the Barrett album. I had it on the background but then I suddenly homed in when Gigolo Aunt started being mentioned.

Sure was the Barrett album. I had it on the background but then I suddenly homed in when Gigolo Aunt started being mentioned.

It actually tickles me a wee bit that some boy in Madrid had an experience like that.

:bucktooth:

It actually tickles me a wee bit that some boy in Madrid had an experience like that.

:bucktooth:

I've long wondered in a desultory way what your username meant. I suppose after reading it hundreds of times over the years it's burned on my brain.

Craig Gordons Gloves

This.

51xEGv5G4xL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

and also a shameless plug for Mr Niven, who in my opinion, is the best Scottish novelist - stuff it - THE BEST NOVELIST of his generation.

This will be a major film release in 2014.

41yHCy2b7IL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU02_AA160_.jpg

And this is the best novel of the century (so far)

41s6eHUILKL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU02_AA160_.jpg

Thanks to these recommendations i bought both Kill Your Friends and The Second Coming in the past 2 weeks. Kill your friends is good, easy to read and you hate the main character but admire him just a wee bit.

The Second Coming is one of the best books i've read in a long long time (and i read constantly). If you haven't read it - you need to, right now. It's brilliant. Started reading it on Friday, finished it on Saturday night about 1am and that's with having no reading time at all during the day. Thanks for this Greenbank2.

Started on Morrisssey's book on the bus to work today. It is superbly written and he has a real gift for describing growing up in Manchester and the schools he attended.

Started on Morrisssey's book on the bus to work today. It is superbly written and he has a real gift for describing growing up in Manchester and the schools he attended.

Post a review when you're done please. I'm still swithering on reading it or not.

Thanks to these recommendations i bought both Kill Your Friends and The Second Coming in the past 2 weeks. Kill your friends is good, easy to read and you hate the main character but admire him just a wee bit.

The Second Coming is one of the best books i've read in a long long time (and i read constantly). If you haven't read it - you need to, right now. It's brilliant. Started reading it on Friday, finished it on Saturday night about 1am and that's with having no reading time at all during the day. Thanks for this Greenbank2.

Thanks CGG. John Niven is relatively unrecognised at the moment - but the word is spreading. I think after Kill Your Friends is released in the cinema, his star will rise very rapidly. And I support your comments on "The Second Coming" 100%.

My kids who are in their 20's also agree with you!

just about to start this.... not really into to his music bit old for that nowadays but think i might be interested to find out about his life for some reason....

way-i-am-eminem-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Edited by jambo_

Couple of cheap reads from HMV

This was okay. Doesn't really ring true and there is a mildly enjoyable spat on the US amazon reviews page between the author and a couple of reviewers who think he embellished his tale more than a little.

51QutnuLEtL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Next up

41MgRr0WI%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-71,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Don't read many thrillers but this is a good one so far

The-Boys-from-Brazil-288945.jpg

Saw the film decades ago but never read the book. Bought the book recently at a discount bookshop and will read it this week.

I do have a pile of just-purchased books to get through - the new Nesbo, Robert Harris and Val McDermid, with Pratchett's "Raising Steam" when I can find it in the shops here.

"Saints of the Shadow Bible" is Rankin at his best!

Really struggled with this. Constantly struggling to work out who the personal pronouns refer to. That said bits and pieces were really powerful but overall so disjointed.

2008-10-06-fallingman.jpg

Really struggled with this. Constantly struggling to work out who the personal pronouns refer to. That said bits and pieces were really powerful but overall so disjointed.

2008-10-06-fallingman.jpg

I've had "Underworld" on the shelves for years now. It's going to take a couple of weeks and some effort of will to tackle its 800-odd pages.

Operation Sea Lion - Peter Fleming

Only started it last night - well written do far at a pace that just not just throw statistic after fact at you. Have never really read anything too deep about this theatre of the war.

A superb writer, and a very informative but readable book. I can recommend thoroughly other books by him, such as: "Amazon Adventure" and "The News From Tartary". In his travel writing, he reminds me a little bit of Eric Newby, as he has something of the same self-deprecating humour. Similarly, he uses his keen eye and genuine insight to bring to life the people he encountered and the places he passed through for the reader.

I've re-joined the library, and so am rattling through all that's worth reading in the Corstorphine branch. Highlights so far have been "If This Is A Man", "The Truce", and "Moments of Reprieve" by the late Primo Levi. They are all about his experiences in Auschwitz, and the immediate aftermath of his time there. Of course, the subject matter and many of the events related are horrific and deeply shocking, but his matter-of-fact style and wonderful writing leave you feeling - ultimately - inspired by his courage and fortitude, and by the many small acts of humanity he encountered within the death camps, rather than depressed or downcast. Well, that's how his writing affects me, anyway: no doubt others would react differently.

"If Not Now, When?" and "The Periodic Table" are also great books by him.

A calculus textbook and

WodehouseAunts.jpg

I don't think this book shines as much as other Wodehouse books, but it's still better than 98% of books. Don't plead the nolle prosequi.

I thought that this was okay. Small town story but the small town is a bit too 'big'? All the pop culture references jolt and jar a bit too. But a diverting enough sort of a read if not a patch on his early books.

51rKGeoM4CL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Next up looks great

518WuW2RnkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

scottish_chicP

I need a new book. I like fantasy type books like the golden compass (northern lights) trilogy and the seven realms series. Any recommendations?

Edited by scottish_chicP

Next up looks great

518WuW2RnkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I think that was my favourite book of the year. A guy - like me - fascinated by the Heroic Age of exploration in the Antarctic. But unlike me brave enough to go and live there for a year.

Next up

512xBrUdoNL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Since my last post, I have read "The Dead Zone", "The Regulators" and I'm about halfway through "Firestarter". Cracking books.

Next up for me is "Needful Things" and then "Desperation" although I also really want to read "Doctor Sleep" so I will need to read "The Shining" again before that.

I ******* love Stephen King. :thumbsup:

I need a new book. I like fantasy type books like the golden compass (northern lights) trilogy and the seven realms series. Any recommendations?

I've just started reading "the assassins apprentice" by robin hobb. Number 1 in the far seer trilogy.

a mate got me to try it, so far it is ok, too early to tell. I will try and keep you up to date on how good it is

• 4 weeks later...

Thought this was phoned-in - one of the weakest Banks books I've read.

200px-IainBanksDeadAir.jpg

Picked up this for next to nothing the other day - undoubtedly the worst written and edited book I've ever read. But quite incredible in how it reveals what Charnley was actually like. The number of times he appears to have gone straight to fisticuffs with opponents, team mates, in training and with managers! He on one page says what a good 'trainer' he was ... and on the next page says that at one point he just didn't turn up for training for 3 days! Could have been signed for Celtic but rather than going on their pre-season tour he chose to go on holiday with his Partick Thistle mates instead - and then blames Lou Macari for not telling him he should have gone on the tour. Could have been a Hearts player too. Doddie had him in for training for a week - and at the end of it he went for a pint with Sandy Jardine. But Jardine was obviously appalled by the bevvy he put away and didn't take it further.

9781845022709.jpg

Reading this one story at a time - very good.

isbn9780753819869-detail.jpg

and this is next up - can't wait after reading American Rust

2.-The-Son-by-Philipp-Meyer.jpg

Post a review when you're done please. I'm still swithering on reading it or not.

I recently read this and thought it was one of the best music related books I've read for a long time, if not ever. It is superbly written and Morrissey has a real way with words. Also read Mike Skinners book this year which was another great book. Another very intelligent bloke which might surprise a few people.

Currently reading 'Liverpool FC in the 1980's - The Players Stories'. Really enjoying it.

Next up The Lonely Hearts Club by Raul Nunez. Meant to be a barry book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished the Hunger Games trilogy. It's not exactly classic literature but it's entertaining.

I didn't think the final book was a good as the 1st two unfortunately.

Recently taken an interest in the Crusades era .... so in back to front fashion, started off reading ...

41CB8SH9D3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

then went on to

51cg8i7qaeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

now reading ...

51-VkyZAmBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Rudolf's Mate

I've downloaded 10 books on the back of this thread alone. Soon as I'm finished Ferguson's auto I'll probably go onto Stallingrad.

Absolutely loving American Rust by Phillip Meyer just now. Don't wanna finish it.

Favourite novel I read last year. Fantastic characterisations and I was the same - wished it was much longer.

Haven't started yet but as posted my next book is his follow up - The Son. Really looking forward to it.

Favourite novel I read last year. Fantastic characterisations and I was the same - wished it was much longer.

Haven't started yet but as posted my next book is his follow up - The Son. Really looking forward to it.

I got a few books for Xmas but will get it in paperback in April for sure. Best American writer since McCarthy. Love a book that makes yu feel like you are actually there.

Have started on the pile of books amassed during the Christmas period.

Elmore Leonard - Pronto

Read "Valdez is Coming" a while back and loved it so picked this up - 100 pages or so in and is matching an incredibly high bar set by VIC.