Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Protein shakes and creatine are givens on here/in the gym generally. Anyone else take any other supplements? "Next big thing" Beta alanine or the like?

Just wondering, I know that generally, supplements are only proven to do one thing, which is line the pockets of the supplement companies. :lol:

Don't know where you got that last bit, they are the only way to GET BIG YEEEAH. Need to find a shake with great aesthetics in it though.

I was at the gym last night and not doing anything outwith a normal workout but half way through whilst on leg extensions started yawning, took a short break then went back to leg extensions again, yawning got so bad I thought I was going to fall asleep on equipment.

Had a very lazy day yesterday before going to gym and took protein drink 30 mins before instead of after which is my norm, but never experienced anything like that before.

Anyone got any views on this, why it occurs?

Edited by JT1959

Guest GhostHunter

I was at the gym last night and not doing anything outwith a normal workout but half way through whilst on leg extensions started yawning, took a short break then went back to leg extensions again, yawning got so bad I thought I was going to fall asleep on equipment.

Had a very lazy day yesterday before going to gym and took protein drink 30 mins before instead of after which is my norm, but never experienced anything like that before.

Anyone got any views on this, why it occurs?

Clearly, the ketamine additions to the protein shake badly affected your alertness.

JUST SAY NO !!11!

Creepy Lurker

Protein shakes and creatine are givens on here/in the gym generally. Anyone else take any other supplements? "Next big thing" Beta alanine or the like?

Just wondering, I know that generally, supplements are only proven to do one thing, which is line the pockets of the supplement companies. :lol:

Personally don't bother with anything else. There are a few supplements out there on which the data is still inconclusive, but I think for the most part the money they'd cost would be better spent elsewhere. I take vitamin D3 in winter if that counts.

To answer the question about tiredness/lack of energy if it's only happened once I wouldn't bother too much. If it starts to happen regularly then it could be an issue.

Edit: 3900 calories per day as of yesterday. Haters gonna hate.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

The People's Chimp

Personally don't bother with anything else. There are a few supplements out there on which the data is still inconclusive, but I think for the most part the money they'd cost would be better spent elsewhere. I take vitamin D3 in winter if that counts.

To answer the question about tiredness/lack of energy if it's only happened once I wouldn't bother too much. If it starts to happen regularly then it could be an issue.

Edit: 3900 calories per day as of yesterday. Haters gonna hate.

Oooft.

That's some amount of scran. :lol:

Creepy Lurker

That thread should be everyone's reference point when starting a diet whether bulking or cutting. The stickies on there in general are really good.

What's everyone's opinions on TRX? Had a couple of tutorials on them, and I'm trying to get to grips with it, as I'd always just dismissed it as a nonsense. Anyone used them for an extended period of time/what are the results like?

I've put the gym in hold for a few weeks to concentrate on swimming. I'm doing a charity challenge in November, swimming 11.4 miles in a week. (That's 734 lengths).

I've been doing 100 lengths every time (PB for that is down to 44min).

At the moment I'm trying to get used to doing it on consecutive days as that's what I'll need to do for the challenge.

Still a bit tired from last night but going for it again this afternoon.

Annoyingly my weight seems to be staying the same. Noticing the difference in the mirror but not on the scales! I know the latter is more important, but would like to have the best of both worlds!

Snake Plissken

Let's rap about our favourite exercises excluding the obvious ones (bench, deadlifts, squats and chin-ups).

I'm a fan of dumbbell pullovers and I tend to do it on back days (some see it as more of chest exercise), I like the stretch and isolation of the lats.

I rate cable crunches for abs, pretty much all I do for them really, and I'm big on barbell shrugs for building traps (I hate upright rows).

What are some of your favoured exercises, my brothers by other mothers?

Excluding obvious ones.

Love cable flies. Some pump / burn off that.

Done DB shoulder press last night for the first time in about 12 weeks. 8 reps of 32's, was surprised I hadn't lost any strength on it. (Been doing OHP with barbell lately)

Bicep curls on the incline bench.

On back/bicep day I do curls, hammer curls, then finish with the incline bench.

Because you are lying on the bench your starting position for your arms is behind your trunk. You really feel it especially 1st time you do it.

Barney Rubble

Love doing bicep curls on the olympic bar " when its quiet " , done it once when there was a few growlers in and if looks could kill , anyhow great burn you get that way !

Snake Plissken

Weighted dips for this cat.

One of the obvious one however I used to hate squats however I am enjoying them just now.

I do love me some weighted dips.

I was doing mine with 35kg added on Saturday, I'll soon be liable for capital gainzzzz tax at this rate :yas:

Creepy Lurker

Love weighted dips but always seem to hurt my shoulders doing them, stop doing them for a while, go back to them and hurt my shoulder again. :lol:

Sometimes once I've got my compound lifts out of the way I just like to do stuff that looks cool, so my favourites are probably hip clap press-ups and hanging shin to bars.

Snapped my shit up too many times on weighted dips.

Not done them in ages.

Great exercise though.

Close grip bench is about all I can do when it comes to hitting the tri's heavy with free weights.

Snake Plissken

DOMS like a fornicator of mothers this morning after Saturday's leg workout.

Up nearly 4kg since my bulk began and I'm still lean :jjyay:

DOMS like a fornicator of mothers this morning after Saturday's leg workout.

Up nearly 4kg since my bulk began and I'm still lean :jjyay:

Good man.

I bulked from 80kg to 87kg.

Got my bench 1rm up to 125, hoping to repeat it today.

Wasn't that long ago 100kg was my 1rm, reeling off 7 now.

As I start to cut the worry is how much of that I lose.

:sob:

The People's Chimp

Just back from a 10 day break, ate like a king, drunk like a lord...I'll miss those ice cold beers for lunch. :sob:

Some bulk though, must have put on about 5 kg. :lol:

Edited by The People's Chimp

Just back from a 10 day break, ate like a king, drunk like a lord...I'll miss those ice cold beers for lunch. :sob:

Some bulk though, must have put on about 5 kg. :lol:

Today was my first day back in the gym after a 10 day break. Really annoying going back on the all the progress that I'd made before I went on hols.

Snake Plissken

Good man.

I bulked from 80kg to 87kg.

Got my bench 1rm up to 125, hoping to repeat it today.

Wasn't that long ago 100kg was my 1rm, reeling off 7 now.

As I start to cut the worry is how much of that I lose.

After my big dirty bulk this time last year, I ended up losing 5kg of the 9kg I'd gained :sob:

I'm being much smarter about it this time around and only eating a surplus of 300 cals/daily so the gains are small but they are almost all lean and consistent.

After my big dirty bulk this time last year, I ended up losing 5kg of the 9kg I'd gained :sob:

I'm being much smarter about it this time around and only eating a surplus of 300 cals/daily so the gains are small but they are almost all lean and consistent.

Respect. Find clean bulking so difficult. :lol:

Creepy Lurker

I don't normally moan about other gym users, but today there were two guys using up the only incline bench to do seated calf raises.

Wut? I didn't even know seated calf raises were a thing. They even had the pussy pad on the bar so it wouldn't hurt their legs. :lol:

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Snake Plissken

I don't normally moan about other gym users, but today there were two guys using up the only incline bench to do seated calf raises.

Wut? I didn't even know seated calf raises were a thing. They even had the pussy pad on the bar so it wouldn't hurt their legs. :lol:

:jjyay:

Trained legs for the 1st time in 2 weeks after hurting my hip from squats before.

Straight back to 115kg back squats - 4 sets of 6 reps

Deadlifts - 117.5kg - 4 sets of 4 reps

Leg press - 350kg - 3 sets of 5 rep

Calf raises - 140kg - go until failure & reduce wait by 20 kg, go until failure etc etc. Making my way down to 60kg

Legs feel OK so far, but day 2 doms could very well possibly destroy me

Edited by mcdougg

Guest GhostHunter

Trained legs for the 1st time in 2 weeks after hurting my hip from squats before.

Straight back to 115kg back squats - 4 sets of 6 reps

Deadlifts - 117.5kg - 4 sets of 4 reps

Leg press - 350kg - 3 sets of 5 rep

Calf raises - 140kg - go until failure & reduce wait by 20 kg, go until failure etc etc. Making my way down to 60kg

Legs feel OK so far, but day 2 doms could very well possibly destroy me

With or without Pussy Pad ?

:)

Starting the charity swim challenge tomorrow. I've taken a break from the weights to concentrate on swim training for the last 5 weeks or so to get fit for the challenge (and I reckon it's been just as beneficial for fat loss - I've gone from 18st 3 this time last year, to below 17st, 4-5lb of that in the last few weeks).

I'm going to be swimming 11.4 miles (734 lengths) in a week or less, so I'll be averaging over 100 lengths a day!

The charity I'm raising funds for is Maggie's so if you want to help a bro hit his target then click here!

Snake Plissken

Legs on a Friday evening...

That, friends, is dedication.

I've been going for more volume in the last couple of weeks, with a light set at the start and finish with 3-4 heavy sets of ten reps in between. Squats annihilated my quads today, never mind tomorrow, my legs are trembling now.

The People's Chimp

Starting the charity swim challenge tomorrow. I've taken a break from the weights to concentrate on swim training for the last 5 weeks or so to get fit for the challenge (and I reckon it's been just as beneficial for fat loss - I've gone from 18st 3 this time last year, to below 17st, 4-5lb of that in the last few weeks).

I'm going to be swimming 11.4 miles (734 lengths) in a week or less, so I'll be averaging over 100 lengths a day!

The charity I'm raising funds for is Maggie's so if you want to help a bro hit his target then click here!

Good luck with the swim.

Pure Gym Gorgie, which already has a decent sized free weights area compared to ocean t, is about to get doubled in size this month.

Jealous.

Anyone like to recommend a gym in Edinburgh for me? I'll only be around for a few hours so somewhere that does day passes, not too bothered about location so long as it's on a bus route. Decent showers would be nice too, since I'm getting the bus back down south overnight and going straight into work. Cheers

I'd call Powerhouse before going in. When I turned up to buy weightlifting gloves they only had small ones, and didn't seem to have a lot of stock in general.

so guys, I left David Lloyd in July because I turned 18 and the membership went up to 50 something quid a month, so I haven't really done much exercise in the last 3 or 4 months but now that I have my Student Loan I just joined Pure Gym near Gorgie, Thing is I don't eat chocolate or desserts and i'm pretty moderate with fast food and alcohol, I eat a fair bit of crisps and fizzy drinks but It can't all be that surely? I'm up to 12.9 stone and i'm 5"10 developing a bit of a capital D, that's really worrying because last time I remember weighing myself at about 11 stone not too long ago, I think it has something to do with me working at a pizza place in the evenings, whenever there's leftovers the staff are told to dive in plus I get about 5 hours sleep per night which isn't helpful I know, anyway my question to you guys is: What is the most effect diet and fitness regime for losing weight and possibly eventually being toned in your experience?

Creepy Lurker

Common sense and moderation. Sorry if that seems patronising, but basically what you need to do is get regular exercise doing something you enjoy and consume less calories than you're burning. Try to eat less of the stuff that you know is sky high in calories (fizzy drinks, crisps, pizza: all fine in moderation, but don't go overboard) and plenty of vegetables with protein sources to fill you up. Sorry if this seems vague, but it's a pretty vague question. Can give a more specific answer if you're more specific about precise goals.

Today I agreed to do an MT interclub at the end of this month. I've been training MT a maximum of once a week since mid-September and have sparred about three times since May (due to a combination of factors really). Dafuq u doin creepy? Going to get my ass handed to me. Oh well. :lol:

Common sense and moderation. Sorry if that seems patronising, but basically what you need to do is get regular exercise doing something you enjoy and consume less calories than you're burning. Try to eat less of the stuff that you know is sky high in calories (fizzy drinks, crisps, pizza: all fine in moderation, but don't go overboard) and plenty of vegetables with protein sources to fill you up. Sorry if this seems vague, but it's a pretty vague question. Can give a more specific answer if you're more specific about precise goals.

Today I agreed to do an MT interclub at the end of this month. I've been training MT a maximum of once a week since mid-September and have sparred about three times since May (due to a combination of factors really). Dafuq u doin creepy? Going to get my ass handed to me. Oh well. :lol:

My only real "Goal" is to get back into my 30 waist jeans and feel comfortable to take my jacket off in front of women, I suppose as a first goal I'll try and get down to 11 stone by Christmas? Or is that unrealistic?