Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Captain Sausage

Been hitting double classes most nights and topping up the muscles I miss out on my days off. 4 months of this and it's paying dividends.

Loving the classes just now. Metafit spin double is a bitch but gets a decent workout. The circuits classes in general seem to strike a decent balance between cardio and weight training.

Been hitting double classes most nights and topping up the muscles I miss out on my days off. 4 months of this and it's paying dividends.

Loving the classes just now. Metafit spin double is a bitch but gets a decent workout. The circuits classes in general seem to strike a decent balance between cardio and weight training.

Metafit is the devil.

Excellent class though

I'm amazed at how quickly fitness can improve if you put your mind to it. A month or 2 ago I could only run 2k, now I can do 6k and want to reach 10k. Also I could barely swim 2 lengths at one time now I can do 20.

Billy Dynamite

I'm going to do EMF 10km next May. I do cardio 3 days a week in between weights days which is 1 day 200m hill runs with jog rests(x10), 1 day 10km run and 1 day 5km for speed.

I'm amazed at how quickly fitness can improve if you put your mind to it. A month or 2 ago I could only run 2k, now I can do 6k and want to reach 10k. Also I could barely swim 2 lengths at one time now I can do 20.

Take it easy would be my advice, like you I moved from 2k to 6k in a couple of months and feeling great then tried a 9k run and strained a quad. Been out of action for 6 weeks now and tearing my hair out. I know, I was stupid!

Snake Plissken

You couldn't pay me to run any more than 5k these days.

I used to run 10-20k a couple of times a week at least but I completely lost interest in running about a year ago when I completed the DMZ marathon. It was painful, exhausting but most of all, it was ******* BORING. My overwhelming feeling during that hellish slog was one of boredom, miles 17-25 seemed to take forever and I just wanted the bloody thing to be over with.

I didn't run for months after that and concentrated entirely on weight training, my weight shot up from a puny 67 kg to a fuller 77 kg in the space of about three months. Alas, about half of that was fat and I was looking a little more pudgy than I'd ever done in the past. This year I've shipped all of the fat (at one point I was down to 71 kg) and that was almost entirely down to diet, I've slowly regained all the weight but with lean mass instead of fat. I'm now up to 76 kg and I'm still pretty lean, the plan is to keep bulking until January and then I'll cut for 4-6 weeks. I'd be happy to weigh about 80 kg and have sub-10% body fat.

Stopping running was the best thing I ever did for my strength and overall fitness. My cardio now consists of short bursts of interval training or circuits, better to switch between mountain climbers and burpees for five minutes than spend half an hour on the treadmill.

Obviously not everyone has the same goals that I do, but long distance running just isn't for me any more.

Guest GhostHunter

Second session at Gym64 in Dunfermline - and got to say, it's a decent little gym - good range of machines along with plenty free weights. The only down side are their showers, which are abysmal - who thought it's a good idea to put the auto cut off on a shower ?

Oh, and I walked in this morning, and what do I see but a girl wearing a Hearts away top.... probably not reading this, but if you are, "Hullo".

:)

I used to run 10-20k a couple of times a week at least but I completely lost interest in running about a year ago when I completed the DMZ marathon. It was painful, exhausting but most of all, it was ******* BORING. My overwhelming feeling during that hellish slog was one of boredom, miles 17-25 seemed to take forever and I just wanted the bloody thing to be over with.

I didn't run for months after that and concentrated entirely on weight training, my weight shot up from a puny 67 kg to a fuller 77 kg in the space of about three months. Alas, about half of that was fat and I was looking a little more pudgy than I'd ever done in the past. This year I've shipped all of the fat (at one point I was down to 71 kg) and that was almost entirely down to diet, I've slowly regained all the weight but with lean mass instead of fat. I'm now up to 76 kg and I'm still pretty lean, the plan is to keep bulking until January and then I'll cut for 4-6 weeks. I'd be happy to weigh about 80 kg and have sub-10% body fat.

Stopping running was the best thing I ever did for my strength and overall fitness. My cardio now consists of short bursts of interval training or circuits, better to switch between mountain climbers and burpees for five minutes than spend half an hour on the treadmill.

Obviously not everyone has the same goals that I do, but long distance running just isn't for me any more.

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you?

The People's Chimp

I've never been much of a runner, always found it really dull - though fell running or cross country would be something that would stave the boredom off, I've never really looked into either. I used to swim and play water polo but since moving to Glasgow haven't done either. Shame as water polo is probably one of the most fitness intense sports - you are constantly sprinting, grappling, tussling or even just treading water, so you're always moving. Cardio for me is 5s twice a week and then a warm up jog when I get to the gym.

I suppose that once you start looking at weights and building muscle, then any serious amount of running will always be detrimental to that.

On Dexter's point, there was a boy in the Bednar era Hummel top in Pure Glasgow on tuesday.

Snake Plissken

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you?

I don't mind at all.

I'm 179.5cm or just under 5'11".

Just a little over average height.

I don't mind at all.

We are the exact same height. :wub:

I don't mind at all.

Cheers, my gym buddy is 5ft4 so it makes guaging my weight a little difficult as his is so skewed.

Snake Plissken

I did some Hack squats to mix it up a bit for leg day this week, this was in the business end of my workout so what was supposed to be my warm-up set weight ended up being my working weight :lol:

Much, much harder than I anticipated but it's one I'll come back to.

Leg day completed yesterday.

110KG back squats - 4 x 8 reps

110KG deadlifts - 4 x8 reps

330KG leg press - 3 x 6 reps

150KG calf raises - 4 x 12 reps, then drop 10KG until failure

Stairs are not my friends today. Neither is driving the car.

Back/lat/bicep day today. Looking forward to this.

Edited by mcdougg

Snake Plissken

Good luck Creepy.

I've been getting right into my back workouts of late, I never really enjoyed them before but the steady gains I've been making there have made me start to look forward to them. Chest tonight :jjyay:

Good luck Creepy.

I've been getting right into my back workouts of late, I never really enjoyed them before but the steady gains I've been making there have made me start to look forward to them. Chest tonight :jjyay:

Similar feeling.

Don't regret doing the charity swim, but lost focus from lifting which I think is giving me better results.

Back on the weights for 2 weeks now and determined to have no more breaks. Easier said than done with Xmas coming but hopefully won't miss too many sessions, then hammering it at least 3 times per week in Jan with an added swim if I make a 4th session.

Creepy Lurker

Good luck Creepy.

Cheers mate.

In other news, I've dropped over 3kg in under a month on 3700 calories a day. Haters gonna hate.

Snake Plissken

Cheers mate.

In other news, I've dropped over 3kg in under a month on 3700 calories a day. Haters gonna hate.

:lol:

Even allowing for a lot of training, that's still a mental metabolism you must have.

I've gained 6 kg in two months on considerably less than that: 3000 per day.

Billy Dynamite

Are you sure

Cheers mate.

Are you sure you're counting the calories correctly? Even accounting for a very high metabolism you'd have to be doing an awful lot of output and probably be coming from an inital stage of very high body fat.

Creepy Lurker

281113_zps6a034c86.png

281113-2_zpsbf532282.png

Yesterday. All items weighed, all items checked against packaging to ensure MFP was accurate. Feel free to do your own calculations.

Billy Dynamite

Wasn't a dig, well done. 3kg a month's considered a good sustainable amount of fat loss without harming muscle tissue. You're lucky you can do that on 3700 cals. Do you mind me asking roughly your current stats/exercise regime? Fell free to ignore, I'm new to the forum and you've probably mentioned it before.

Creepy Lurker

Wasn't a dig, well done. 3kg a month's considered a good sustainable amount of fat loss without harming muscle tissue. You're lucky you can do that on 3700 cals. Do you mind me asking roughly your current stats/exercise regime? Fell free to ignore, I'm new to the forum and you've probably mentioned it before.

Cheers :) I probably have lost a bit of muscle tissue to be honest as I've not really been properly lifting in that time. I'd bulked between March and September, gained a fair bit without too much fat (would say I was probably 12-15% body fat), but when I decided to do my Muay Thai interclub which is tomorrow I decided I'd rather concentrate on my MT specific training plus conditioning/cardio. Don't feel like I've lost too much muscle though, looking a lot leaner.

My training at the moment looks a bit like this:

Monday: Muay Thai, 1 hour

Tuesday: Conditioning (I've been doing Martin Rooney's hurricane training, which has a shit name to be fair but is really good for conditioning imo)

Wednesday: Muay Thai, 2 hours

Thursday: Muay Thai, 1 hour hard conditioning

Friday: Conditioning (hurricane training again)

Saturday/Sunday: 1 day conditioning, 1 day rest

I've been weighing myself every day and taking a weekly average, down from 75.6kg to 72.2 at 5'9. Realistically a lot of what I've lost will be water and just having less food in my system (I was above 4000 calories/day at the end of my bulk), but still do definitely feel like I'm looking a bit leaner (not that I was actually fat to start off with, just at the higher end of the range I usually let myself get to).

Got another interclub December 15th and pending how I feel like I've got on at the end of the two I'm considering asking my coach to match me at C class in the new year. Got a lot on at uni though plus I'd need to be getting the train to training several times a week so not sure how practical that really is. If I don't feel I've got the time I'll reverse diet my way back into a bulk after the second interclub.

Creepy Lurker

Cheers :) Really still don't feel like I've properly trained for it and aiming to do better at the one in mid-December, but still buzzing about it now!

Billy Dynamite

Yeah good luck Creepy. I'm similar height, BF% and would probably have to eat approx 2000?2200 cals and keep off the beer to lose 3kg a month just now. I'm probably a bit older though but output is quite high with 3 full body workouts plus 200m hill runs, 10km run and 5km run each week.

You train at Headhunters? I know a couple guys that have and rate it highly.

Creepy Lurker

Cheers :) Yeah, I train at Headhunters when I'm back in Edinburgh but I'm through in Stirling at uni just now so just been training at the uni club. Will be staying in Stirling over winter, so not sure what I'll do about training. There's a club in Stirling but I'd rather stay at Headhunters (nothing against the club in Stirling, would just feel weird changing clubs plus the Stirling place only does Thai three days a week as far as I can see). There is a Headhunters gym in Falkirk too, but even going there the train fares would mount up.

Re the caloric intake I was really careful during my bulk to increase calories slowly to maximise my metabolic potential so I'd be able to cut on as high an intake as possible. Think I'd damaged my metabolism before by cutting too aggressively (at one point I was on 2000 calories per day and not losing weight), so was determined I'd do it right this time. I'd really recommend watching Layne Norton's Youtube videos on metabolic damage if you haven't already, as they've really helped me a lot.

Creepy Lurker

Excuse my ignorance, what does interclub mean.

Do you have a fight coming up?

It's kind of the stage between sparring and a C class fight mate. In a ring against someone from a different club, but protective gear is still worn and you're not meant to go for the knockout or anything like that. Also winners aren't really declared as such. I fell out of properly training MT for a few months when I was bulking, partly down to circumstances making it difficult and partly just because I was enjoying bulking, so training for this was a good way to get my focus back as well as prepare to hopefully look to get matched at C class in the new year.

C class is full contact, no protective gear but with no elbows or knees to the face. Pretty much K1 rules but with clinching.

It's kind of the stage between sparring and a C class fight mate. In a ring against someone from a different club, but protective gear is still worn and you're not meant to go for the knockout or anything like that. Also winners aren't really declared as such. I fell out of properly training MT for a few months when I was bulking, partly down to circumstances making it difficult and partly just because I was enjoying bulking, so training for this was a good way to get my focus back as well as prepare to hopefully look to get matched at C class in the new year.

C class is full contact, no protective gear but with no elbows or knees to the face. Pretty much K1 rules but with clinching.

Cheers. Got you.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Creepy Lurker

Cheers :)

Billy: I think IF is a good fat loss strategy for a lot of people as long as calories/macros are right, used it myself in the past and if this was a more extended cut would probably transition to it at some point again when I had to start cutting the calories down lower. At the moment don't really need it as I'm eating enough not to be hungry anyway, I see it more as an appetite control thing than anything.

Not so convinced by it as something to do when bulking, unless it just fits in really easily to your lifestyle or whatever. If your aim is to be in a caloric surplus then it just doesn't seem to make sense to restrict the times that you'll allow yourself to eat. Won't do any harm though as long as you're eating enough.

Snake Plissken

Cheers :)

Billy: I think IF is a good fat loss strategy for a lot of people as long as calories/macros are right, used it myself in the past and if this was a more extended cut would probably transition to it at some point again when I had to start cutting the calories down lower. At the moment don't really need it as I'm eating enough not to be hungry anyway, I see it more as an appetite control thing than anything.

Not so convinced by it as something to do when bulking, unless it just fits in really easily to your lifestyle or whatever. If your aim is to be in a caloric surplus then it just doesn't seem to make sense to restrict the times that you'll allow yourself to eat. Won't do any harm though as long as you're eating enough.

I would completely agree, it just happens to fit my lifestyle perfectly.

I don't eat until about 3pm, I'll have about 800 calories pre-workout and a big post-workout meal of about 1200 calories, followed by a snack (a bagel and peanut butter for example) and then I end the day with a large bowl of porridge and blueberries. I try to eat the vast majority of my calories after I workout.

I've gone from 71 kg to 77 kg since September doing this, still lean but a wee bit of body fat has come along for the ride (reckon I'll be about 11-14%). I don't think my way of doing things would work for a lot of people, but it works well for me. Even though I cram all my food in between 3 and 11 pm, I'm almost never hungry (black coffee FTW).

Billy Dynamite

I won't cut again without IF. 2200 cals across the course of the day leaves me almost permanently hungry whereas the same amount between 12 to 8pm is OK. Train in the morning with a couple of black coffees and 25g unflavoured whey in me.

Wouldn't use it for bulking have currently dropped it by having whey, fruit and oats blended in the morning prior to gym. Cardio days remain similar to before just now.

Been adding coconut oil to back coffee in the mornings. Totally curbs the appetite as I have never, even as a kid, eaten breakfast. My first meal of the day is always around 1pm then I train around 4-5pm and like Snake, just beast the eating at night time. Works perfectly for me, never really feel hungry and always plenty energy for training.

Porridge for supper is amazing.

Billy Dynamite

I know about bulletproof coffee with coconut oil and some sort of organic butter (maybe Kerrygold?) supposed to be a good sustained energy release.

Creepy Lurker

But breakfast is the most important meal of the day. %20class=:' />

No-one? Okay.

Interclub went pretty well considering that I've sparred so little going into it. Looking forward to the second on December 12th.

Think someone might've been videoing it so if anyone's interested I can post it on here when I get it.

Everyone else from my club went to Nando's, I'm in the library. Dedication. :verysmug:

Edited by Creepy Lurker