Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Had the gym pretty much all to myself tonight.

It's a great feeling being able to lift and not feel inferior to those in far better shape.

:jjyay:

Snake Plissken

Had the gym pretty much all to myself tonight.

It's a great feeling being able to lift and not feel inferior to those in far better shape.

:jjyay:

I wouldn't know.

:verysmug:

* Koreans tend to do laughably light weights on everything. 30 kg squats, 40 kg deadlifts etc.

Anyone ever made chips out of sweet potatoes? What do you do?

Boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes. Take 'em out, slice em up. Rub them in oil and spices of your choice then bung in the oven for 20 minutes.

Edited by Ray Gin

Boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes. Take 'em out, slice em up. Rub them in oil and spices of your choice then bung in the oven for 20 minutes.

Nice wan going to do that tonight.

Franklin Delano Bluth

First time in the gym in a month yesterday

:cornette:

Gies peace. Had to keep nipping to the toilet because I was convinced I was going to spew. Just a terrible performance all round, like Zibi in a Derby.

No pain, no gain and that though.

Nice wan going to do that tonight.

Olive oil and rosemary & garlic is my favourite combo.

Remember they are still carbs. It's good to get the from different sources but they still have similar calories to normal spuds.

I like to do 1 potato, 1 sweet potato and two chicken breasts (in tin foil with garlic and basil).

On a second tray do your favourite veg roasted. I like an aubergine with onions and peppers.

That usually does me for a post gym feed plus a decent amount to take to work the next day.

Guest GhostHunter

Not sure it's classed as "clean", but I discovered that Charlie Binghams (?) meat ball pasta from Waitrose is over 1000Cals.

Damn fecking tasty as well.

I decided to do some burpee pull-ups again today.

100 for time. Jesus christ. Flashbacks to the last time I managed it started after about 55 and the rest were an absolute ******* chore. Honestly thought I was going to puke around the 75-85 mark.

Edited by The Brow

The People's Chimp

Wouldn't boil them myself. Just chip them, skin on and then drizzle with a bit of oil, some honey and as you say herbs and spices as you want. Usually take about 40 mins in the oven.

Wouldn't boil them myself. Just chip them, skin on and then drizzle with a bit of oil, some honey and as you say herbs and spices as you want. Usually take about 40 mins in the oven.

Only 30 minutes required with the pre-boil method. I get 10 minutes extra gainz time.

The People's Chimp

Only 30 minutes required with the pre-boil method. I get 10 minutes extra gainz time.

I'm getting extra gainz doing burpees and mountain climbers for the 40 minute cook time.

Was doing well this week...

A gym session and 3 decent swims...

Ate clean all day, chicken, salad, veg packed bolognese with modest carbs.

Bird comes home from the pub and wants chippy chips, then doesn't eat them... Scoffed the lot, only an hour after dinner.

I'm on a mini holiday for 4 days so may as we'll start my unclean eating a few hours early!

I only eat dirty food. Not only do I not wash anything; sometimes when I buy packaged foods I deliberately trample dirt into them. That's how I feel about eating clean.

Think I've pulled a muscle in my chest. When I twist/carry some weight get a pain right in the centre at heart height.

Best way to get the pain away?

Assume I should stick to cardio and legs till it goes away?

what does a normal food shop for you guys?

Want to grt a rough idea see where I can improve etc.

TBH mate, everyone's list will be roughly the same - chicken, mince, salmon, tuna, oats, pasta, rice, EVOO, milk, bread etc. You say you want to improve your diet? But what are your goals? To be healthier? To lose fat? to gain muscle mass?

Stuart McNeill

TBH mate, everyone's list will be roughly the same - chicken, mince, salmon, tuna, oats, pasta, rice, EVOO, milk, bread etc. You say you want to improve your diet? But what are your goals? To be healthier? To lose fat? to gain muscle mass?

Toclose the weight I've gained since been on holiday and lost my gym buddy haha.

Once I've lost the weight I'd obviously want to gain muscle.

As TheOak said most of us will probably.be buying similar things. Protein sources (meat, fresh and tinned fish, cottage cheese, yoghurt etc), fruit and veg (really any are fine, just whatever's on offer, variety is good), carb sources (any you enjoy really, whole grains are good for fibre and keeping you full) plus stuff like olive oil, peanut butter, beans etc. Frozen fruit and veg are a good thing to always have in the freezer. It's not like there are any magic foods out there that'll make or break your diet.

Anyone ever tried Egg White protein powder and if so is it any good?

Just bought a 1kg bag as a test, previously been using Soy protein as Whey just does not agree with my guts at all.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Cheeky milestone tonight.

PB on the bench for Sten.

120kg.

Feel like crying man.

Dem gainz right there.

That's some gainz brah.

Respect.

Creepy Lurker

120kg :arry:

Good stuff.

Frustrating as **** for me right now with MT as I'm spending about half my time in Stirling and half in Edinburgh, and with the way training works out the only time I'm really able to spar is on a Wednesday evening. Last week Hearts were playing and now this week I've got a ******* cold. Feel like I might as well be doing boxercise or some shit. :muggy: At least my lifts are going up.

Doing 11.4 mile sponsored swim over 7 days at the beginning of November (that's 734 lengths, so 105 a day), so I've been in the pool for the last few days.

Did 100 lengths today and I'm going to do the same again tomorrow to see how I cope with back to back distance swims. (Can do the distance fairly easily, but I've never tried to do long swims day after day).

Snake Plissken

Right, fitness hermanos, let's rap about the incline press.

My flat bench is creeping up towards respectable levels but I'm struggling badly with incline. I get a lot of pain in my shoulders whenever I attempt incline with a barbell, so I tend to use dumbbells instead but my lifts are pretty poor on those too. I much prefer working with a barbell but I just can't get it going without feeling pain in my shoulder. I have no such problems with my flat or decline bench, just whenever I attempt incline (I never had problems with it about a year ago).

Is it a question of technique or do I need to warm-up more?

Thoughts please.

Guest GhostHunter

Snake - I do them on a gradual increase each set..ie one up from flat for one set, then move up a notch for next set etc etc.

First set always the worst, but always push through it

The only exercise that leaves me wincing in my shoulders is the rear delt/fly facing for shoulders..that sucks ass like

If you are feeling pain it's not worth doing tbh.

It may be your form, but there are some lifts your body just won't let you do and you need to work around it.

Snake, is it in both shoulders or just one?

Does it hurt when doing overhead press with a barbell?

I get a small amount of pain in my right shoulder during incline. Usually find grabbing a couple of 2.5kg plates and flapping about like a weirdo helps warm up and take it away.

Edited by Sten Guns

Guest GhostHunter

Snake, is it in both shoulders or just one?

Does it hurt when doing overhead press with a barbell?

I get a small amount of pain in my right shoulder during incline. Usually find grabbing a couple of 2.5kg plates and flapping about like a weirdo helps warm up and take it away.

Yep - do that, and when he says fight through the burn, he aint joking - at the end of the 3rd set, it burns bad.

Right, fitness hermanos, let's rap about the incline press.

My flat bench is creeping up towards respectable levels but I'm struggling badly with incline. I get a lot of pain in my shoulders whenever I attempt incline with a barbell, so I tend to use dumbbells instead but my lifts are pretty poor on those too. I much prefer working with a barbell but I just can't get it going without feeling pain in my shoulder. I have no such problems with my flat or decline bench, just whenever I attempt incline (I never had problems with it about a year ago).

Is it a question of technique or do I need to warm-up more?

Thoughts please.

Grip is another thing to consider. Play around with various positions on the bar and see how that affects your shoulder.

Snake Plissken

Cheers chaps.

I think it's probably somewhere between my grip and getting a proper warm-up for the shoulders. I'll give it another bash at the start of next week on the next chest day.

Generic Username

Some great life advice for you all;

Don't stop going to the gym for 4 months, then go back and gun it on your pins like you'd never been away.

4 day DOMS.

FOUR DAYS

Managed to finally get back to the gym on Friday after a few weeks out..ouch!

Looking to try a proper bulk over the next few months, does anyone have a good bulk workout? My main target is my chest.

Sorry realised that is pretty vague, looking to do 4 sessions a week with a good split. Will be sorting the diet out too, although I plan on just eating as many meals as possibly throughout the day as I would say I eat a lot already and struggle to gain weight.

Well, that's my third session done after my last one being on the 27th of August. I can barely move my upper body, and I'm supposed to be going up to Manchester for the weekend tomorrow for a few nights out. Good thing I haven't attempted legs yet otherwise I wouldn't have made it.

3q8jvo.jpg

Snake Plissken

It's not a real workout if you don't feel DOMS a couple of days afterwards.

Three days of pain are not unknown to this cat, sometimes four when I go heavy on Romanian deadlifts.

This bulk is getting silly.

87kg.

But feeling a bit lardy. Cut will be required shortly.

On a plus note my bench 1rm increased to 120kg and incline 95.

Would love to cut to 82kg and keep those. Doubt it though.

Booooooooo.

The People's Chimp

Keep the faith Sten.

The Gym (pure in glasgow) has been absolutely heaving lately. Proper January rush style levels of busy. Last night was like a warzone, weights tossed and left lying everywhere, massive puddle on the floor of the free weights space, folk queuing up all over the shop. That was at 8.30pm as well.

Pre Christmas get fit drive or might just be that it's still the only Pure in Glasgow and they're oversubscribed...

Keep the faith Sten.

The Gym (pure in glasgow) has been absolutely heaving lately. Proper January rush style levels of busy. Last night was like a warzone, weights tossed and left lying everywhere, massive puddle on the floor of the free weights space, folk queuing up all over the shop. That was at 8.30pm as well.

Pre Christmas get fit drive or might just be that it's still the only Pure in Glasgow and they're oversubscribed...

Pure OT used to be bad but Gorgie opening helped. Only thing I can put it down to?

Granton opens in December, that will definitely help.

Can't believe there will shortly be 6 in Edinburgh.

Trained at pure at OT a couple of times after recently joining. Needed a change from my old gym! Absolutely hate the place during the week. Perfect for weekends though.

The bars are all terrible for deadlifting! As soon as I start to get to a heavy set I feel my grip going!

Trained at pure at OT a couple of times after recently joining. Needed a change from my old gym! Absolutely hate the place during the week. Perfect for weekends though.

The bars are all terrible for deadlifting! As soon as I start to get to a heavy set I feel my grip going!

If you see chalk on the bar, that's been me. Haha.

I had to buy some as knurling on the bar is going big time.

The People's Chimp

Protein shakes and creatine are givens on here/in the gym generally. Anyone else take any other supplements? "Next big thing" Beta alanine or the like?

Just wondering, I know that generally, supplements are only proven to do one thing, which is line the pockets of the supplement companies. :lol: