Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Creepy Lurker

It's not necessarily unrealistic. I'd say if those are your goals then just try to eat more sensibly and get regular exercise of a kind you enjoy.

You said you'd got a gym membership. What are you planning on doing at the gym? Will you be doing any other exercise?

You already know why you are gaining weight.

I have always been fit but fat... I could swim 100 lengths but was completely addicted to chocolate and also ate too much pizza etc.

I cut out chocolate almost completely for most of this year and exercised at least three times per week, sometimes four for the whole year.

There were a few exceptions on the chocolate ban. I allow myself a chocolate dessert if I'm having a meal at a restaurant, and I had a couple of packets if M&M's on holiday & a few chocolate bars over the last 4 days whilst doing a monster swim challenge. I'll probably dip in to the Celebrations at Xmas too, before going cold turkey in January.

I've lost just over a stone this year and I hope to lose another one next year.

The point is, you have already listed your bad food. What you need to do is find new food to replace it.

I replaced chocolate with whole nuts, oven chips with sweet potato wedges and toast with scrambled eggs.

I still eat pizza but generally only after I train. I only eat chippy chips after a big night out (once or twice per month) instead of once or twice per week.

I could do better when it comes to my diet, but I'd rather make gradual, sustainable lifestyle changes that I can keep up for a long period than crash diet and put it all back on.

If I was you, I'd take stuff to work like nuts, homemade stew and try and cut down on pizza. If you can take diluting juice in to work and drink that instead of sugary fizz, and you increase your exercise you should start to see changes.

It's not necessarily unrealistic. I'd say if those are your goals then just try to eat more sensibly and get regular exercise of a kind you enjoy.

You said you'd got a gym membership. What are you planning on doing at the gym? Will you be doing any other exercise?

I was thinking warm up on the x trainer then spend some time on the treadmill and rowing machine to get the belly down. In terms of other exercise there's not really much time hence why I don't sleep much, all my college time is done sitting down, all my work time is spent standing behind a counter and all my other time will be spent at the gym or up town

You already know why you are gaining weight.

I have always been fit but fat... I could swim 100 lengths but was completely addicted to chocolate and also ate too much pizza etc.

I cut out chocolate almost completely for most of this year and exercised at least three times per week, sometimes four for the whole year.

There were a few exceptions on the chocolate ban. I allow myself a chocolate dessert if I'm having a meal at a restaurant, and I had a couple of packets if M&M's on holiday & a few chocolate bars over the last 4 days whilst doing a monster swim challenge. I'll probably dip in to the Celebrations at Xmas too, before going cold turkey in January.

I've lost just over a stone this year and I hope to lose another one next year.

The point is, you have already listed your bad food. What you need to do is find new food to replace it.

I replaced chocolate with whole nuts, oven chips with sweet potato wedges and toast with scrambled eggs.

I still eat pizza but generally only after I train. I only eat chippy chips after a big night out (once or twice per month) instead of once or twice per week.

I could do better when it comes to my diet, but I'd rather make gradual, sustainable lifestyle changes that I can keep up for a long period than crash diet and put it all back on.

If I was you, I'd take stuff to work like nuts, homemade stew and try and cut down on pizza. If you can take diluting juice in to work and drink that instead of sugary fizz, and you increase your exercise you should start to see changes.

thanks for that advice, dunno what i'm going to replace crisps with though :lol: another thing that is a slight stumbling block is the fact that three of my closest friends are fat *******s and often want to go to KFC or McDonalds and drink lager like water, it's hard to watch people have things you love whilst chewing on a carrot baton

Creepy Lurker

I was thinking warm up on the x trainer then spend some time on the treadmill and rowing machine to get the belly down. In terms of other exercise there's not really much time hence why I don't sleep much, all my college time is done sitting down, all my work time is spent standing behind a counter and all my other time will be spent at the gym or up town

If you can stick to that that's fine. Rather than just doing loads of steady state cardio all the time I'd recommend mixing in high intensity interval training (for instance 30 seconds flat out followed by 2 minutes at a recovery pace. There are loads of examples online).

Re your second post, you don't have to stop having a social life completely and if you try you'll not be able to stick to your diet (or stick to it and be miserable). If you're going out later on, either for drinks or something like a McDonalds then go with lower calorie options during the day (chicken salad for example or similar). Have lower calorie items in those places, low calorie drinks etc. People often trip themselves up by trying to cut stuff out completely then thinking 'oh well **** it, today's ruined now' as soon as they have one slice of pizza and eating the whole thing plus two tubs of ice cream. You can enjoy these things in moderation.

In general eat higher protein items such as lean meats plus plenty of veg and high fibre items to keep you full. Wholegrains are no lower in calories than refined grains, but much better for fullness.

I'll be doing a mini cut prior to this interclub and will probably stop lifting for a few weeks to focus on MT. Can't wait. :muggy:

Guest GhostHunter

As mentioned before - I'm in a new job that's based at Rosyth so will be joining Gym64 - any dudes here a member there ?

What's it like etc etc ?

thanks for that advice, dunno what i'm going to replace crisps with though :lol: another thing that is a slight stumbling block is the fact that three of my closest friends are fat *******s and often want to go to KFC or McDonalds and drink lager like water, it's hard to watch people have things you love whilst chewing on a carrot baton

You got a bird? If not, set your sights on one you fancy but seems out of your league and say to yourself that you want to get fit enough to get a date with her.

Thats been my motivation to cut all the shit from my diet lately and work hard in the gym. Got a date with her this week. Chances are she wont notice a different in a few months, but youll feel a lot more confident in yourself.

You got a bird? If not, set your sights on one you fancy but seems out of your league and say to yourself that you want to get fit enough to get a date with her.

Thats been my motivation to cut all the shit from my diet lately and work hard in the gym. Got a date with her this week. Chances are she wont notice a different in a few months, but youll feel a lot more confident in yourself.

As mentioned before - I'm in a new job that's based at Rosyth so will be joining Gym64 - any dudes here a member there ?

What's it like etc etc ?

I'm thinking of doing the same as my work is across the road at CPS. Let me know what you think if you do.

Anyway I'm looking for some advice from folk who know a bit about fitness and such. Essentially I'm looking to get myself back into shape. I'm not overly fat, I'm just concerned with having the gut I've developed around my waist. I'm overweight that's for sure. 5"11 and 15 and a half stone.

Anyway up until maybe 22 I was a keen runner, banging out 7 miles a night. Six years, one bairn, many tabs and beer later I'm getting my act together.

:gok:

The good news is I'm running again for coming up 3 months, steadily built up to two miles with the goal of doing 7 miles every second night. I'm wondering what else I can do to aid weight loss and any other advice folk can share.

Cheers.

Guest GhostHunter

Definitely joining it as it's the only 24 gym in the area.. the monthtly fee is double what pure charge so just looking to see if theres any difference...

Definitely joining it as it's the only 24 gym in the area.. the monthtly fee is double what pure charge so just looking to see if theres any difference...

Double is annoying, but you'll still get your monies worth.

I'd happily pay 60/70 a month if I had too.

Less than one night out these days. :lol:

I'm thinking of doing the same as my work is across the road at CPS. Let me know what you think if you do.

Anyway I'm looking for some advice from folk who know a bit about fitness and such. Essentially I'm looking to get myself back into shape. I'm not overly fat, I'm just concerned with having the gut I've developed around my waist. I'm overweight that's for sure. 5"11 and 15 and a half stone.

Anyway up until maybe 22 I was a keen runner, banging out 7 miles a night. Six years, one bairn, many tabs and beer later I'm getting my act together.

The good news is I'm running again for coming up 3 months, steadily built up to two miles with the goal of doing 7 miles every second night. I'm wondering what else I can do to aid weight loss and any other advice folk can share.

Cheers.

Switching to interval training rather than running at a steady pace can help. Higher intensity workouts have been shown to be more efficient.

Alternating swimming and running would help.

Cutting out sugar would help.

Adding in resistance exercises can also help. More muscle means you burn more calories, so if you eat the same amount if food then you'll burn fat.

Guest GhostHunter

2nd last session at Pure just now :(

Whilst they are cheap and cheerful, I'm actually a little sad at having to leave.

So I killed my chest and arms today to compensate

Creepy Lurker

1455985_604518979610018_1914600012_n.jpg

Guys. Ratho climbing centre gym is the best gym west of edinburgh. Same price as any other edin leisure gym.

They have national judo organisation there so everything is olympic standard. (Within reason...)

Quiet too

Edited by scott_jambo

Guest GhostHunter

Guys. Ratho climbing centre gym is the best gym west of edinburgh. Same price as any other edin leisure gym.

They have national judo organisation there so everything is olympic standard. (Within reason...)

Quiet too

0900 open ?

Too late bud - though the gym does look pretty good.

0900 open ?

Too late bud - though the gym does look pretty good.

The worst thing is it closes at 6pm on sat and sun. But it is really good. Sauna steam room spa part of the deal too. Your edinburgh leisure card can be used anywhere. (Meadowbank, commenwealth etc..)

Guest GhostHunter

If it opened around 0400, then I'd be all over it like a spray tan on Kelly Brook - unfortunately, the choice of 24hr gyms outside Edinburgh, are really limited...

If it opened around 0400, then I'd be all over it like a spray tan on Kelly Brook - unfortunately, the choice of 24hr gyms outside Edinburgh, are really limited...

Yeah. I used to be a member of pure, but it got too busy at peak times...I miss the 24hr aspect tho.

1455985_604518979610018_1914600012_n.jpg

Haha very true.

It's as much a confidence thing though, I hhadn't been working out as much as I have I wouldn't have had thr confidence to ask out the utter babe at my work.

Snake Plissken

Haha very true.

It's as much a confidence thing though, I hhadn't been working out as much as I have I wouldn't have had thr confidence to ask out the utter babe at my work.

:lol:

After 6 weeks of intense swim training I went back to the gym for a legs/shoulders session.

Blowing out my arse after 4 mins on the cross trainer, legs killing me even although I lifted lighter than usual!

It's amazing how you can be super fit in some aspects & totally out of shape in others & how quickly you lose fitness when you stop/change.

Guest GhostHunter

After 6 weeks of intense swim training I went back to the gym for a legs/shoulders session.

Blowing out my arse after 4 mins on the cross trainer, legs killing me even although I lifted lighter than usual!

It's amazing how you can be super fit in some aspects & totally out of shape in others & how quickly you lose fitness when you stop/change.

Different muscle groups being put to different uses ?

Snake Plissken

That feel when you're up for a workout but just about every muscle group has some form of DOMS after four days on the bounce.

Guess it'll have to be a rest day or just working on calves. :lol:

Guest GhostHunter

That feel when you're up for a workout but just about every muscle group has some form of DOMS after four days on the bounce.

Guess it'll have to be a rest day or just working on calves. :lol:

I feel your pain...

3 days on the bounce, got up early for my last Pure session to a world of DOMPain.

Sorry Mr Pure, but I'm going to have to leave on a whimper :(

Snake Plissken

Yesterday was an odd one.

It was the day of university entrance exams yesterday and whole country grinds to a halt on the morning they're on. Planes are redirected, traffic is stopped and elementary and middle schools start late all to ensure the high school students aren't late or disturbed.

Anyway, it meant I didn't have to be in until ten so I decided to go the gym at 07:00 instead of my usual time of 19:00. I normally don't break fast until about 14:00 but I had breakfast that morning. I felt totally out of sync all day, strange what a change in the routine can do. The training itself was fine though, no real difference in my lifts.

Different muscle groups being put to different uses ?

Totally.

A lot of people think you are either fit or you're not.

Just making the observation that you're really only fit for what you do.

I know that already (as most on this thread will) but even I was shocked at how badly I've lost gym fitness.

Skipped the rower last night. Not looking forward to seeing how much I've regressed on that as well!

The People's Chimp

I've had a fairly long (3/4 weeks) enforced break, with a holiday in the middle due to epic volumes of work and late nights in the office stopping me going to the gym. On holiday I found a gym in a hotel (used it for free which was a result) and just hit it for a few quick sessions, and threw in a run. The holiday was a typical ten days of eating and drinking like a Mediterranean rou? but I'm seriously glad I managed to find that gym as my strength wasn't too far gone when I was back this week.

First game of 5s after the holiday is always a laugh as you exhale and sweat out all those sweet, sweet lagers (:wub:) but all in all, not too bad. Thinking of getting back to 5s twice a week actually, though the next morning aches are always a *******.

Seriously, is there a reason nothing hurts as much as legs do?

Ridiculous. Actually seething and it's day 3.

**** sake. :lol:

Im currently doing loads of more gymnastic type work. Spent mon-wed doing Heavy cleans, strict pullups and handstand pushups with rowing sessions for some cardio.

******* aching all round my sides and shoulders all week. Seriously feeling it all across my midline and cant face going anywhere near the gym today. Feel about 100 years old!

DOMS can GTF

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press is one I enjoy greatly.

Was doing shoulders this morning. feelsgoodman.jpeg

Should do a hang clean press. Better range of motion. Your more likely to injure yourself soing standing shoulder press too often.

Seriously, is there a reason nothing hurts as much as legs do?

Ridiculous. Actually seething and it's day 3.

**** sake. :lol:

I'm on day two and I'm making Grandad noises every time I get up.

Yesterday I had to use the bannister coming down the stairs because my legs were wobbling so much.

What do people think of those kettlebells? I'd prefer to workout at home and these seem quite good to me, maybe combined with the running I already do.

I have a stupid question. :blush: I tend to mostly do classes at the gym (it?s just easier being told what to do when you?re tired and can?t think straight), but I?m away this week so one of the guys at my gym has given me a circuit thing to do instead. How busy are Edinburgh gyms likely to be on a Tuesday night? The ones I go to are in wee towns and ?busy? means anything more than four or five people but I?m guessing it?ll be a bit different in a city! Will I be able to just grab what I need (kettlebell, barbell and a couple of dumbbells) and hide in a corner somewhere or will I be fighting for space and what I want? (I did say it was a stupid question :D)

Great advice there mate. Was my idea a year ago and after a load of hard work its worked out perfectly for me.

I have a stupid question. :blush: I tend to mostly do classes at the gym (it?s just easier being told what to do when you?re tired and can?t think straight), but I?m away this week so one of the guys at my gym has given me a circuit thing to do instead. How busy are Edinburgh gyms likely to be on a Tuesday night? The ones I go to are in wee towns and ?busy? means anything more than four or five people but I?m guessing it?ll be a bit different in a city! Will I be able to just grab what I need (kettlebell, barbell and a couple of dumbbells) and hide in a corner somewhere or will I be fighting for space and what I want? (I did say it was a stupid question :D)

Depends on which gym, and how late on a Tuesday you mean.

Also, you can't keep 3-4 bits of kit for the whole workout. Especially if they only have one set of each thing.

Depends on which gym, and how late on a Tuesday you mean.

Also, you can't keep 3-4 bits of kit for the whole workout. Especially if they only have one set of each thing.

Ok, that?s why I was asking. There was a woman at my usual gym this morning just lying on the floor with about ten different things scattered around her and no one was bothered, but I know it?s not likely to be like that most places. Was just wondering whether it?s going to be proper mental packed or just busier than what I?m used to.

I?ll be at either Gorgie or Ocean Terminal Pure, probably 8ish if that helps

Ok, that?s why I was asking. There was a woman at my usual gym this morning just lying on the floor with about ten different things scattered around her and no one was bothered, but I know it?s not likely to be like that most places. Was just wondering whether it?s going to be proper mental packed or just busier than what I?m used to.

I?ll be at either Gorgie or Ocean Terminal Pure, probably 8ish if that helps

Never been before, but judging by it's reputation I'm guessing it'll be rammed.

What is hang clean press ? just out of interest !

Tried to find the least cheesiest video. Don't ask me about if the form is 100% or not.

Anyway, I find the hang clean and press puts much less unnatural pressure on your shoulder upper arms, than a standing shoulder press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gNHMohRPTc

* I do think he should be dropping the weight in such a way that he is also releasing tension in the body when he does it. He's staying quite stiff in the video when he drops the weight which is putting abit too much pressure on his shoulders.

Anyway, I would definitely suggest this exercise over the standing shoulder press.

Edited by scott_jambo

Dont know about that, his form looks alright I find when I clean and press/jerk my elbows 'wrap' around more to 4pm (if you imagine a clock face where his elbow is at 6pm). This means I can use a heavier load as the bar is 'racked'. Then if its heavy I can split jerk but if its lighter then press it.

Should do a hang clean press. Better range of motion. Your more likely to injure yourself soing standing shoulder press too often.

Enjoy doing this also. (try to mix up my routine)

Clean press is a great exercise, I find it pretty tiring and hard work.

Enjoy doing this also. (try to mix up my routine)

Clean press is a great exercise, I find it pretty tiring and hard work.

Sure is.

5/6 reps is plenty.

Been back in the gym the last week, went and chest hard today and on my last set of cable flys felt a sharp pain in my arm just above the elbow, not good. Was going to do triceps aswell , but gave them a miss and will head down again on Friday when I'm off work, hopefully my arm will be ok!

Barney Rubble

Tried to find the least cheesiest video. Don't ask me about if the form is 100% or not.

Anyway, I find the hang clean and press puts much less unnatural pressure on your shoulder upper arms, than a standing shoulder press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gNHMohRPTc

* I do think he should be dropping the weight in such a way that he is also releasing tension in the body when he does it. He's staying quite stiff in the video when he drops the weight which is putting abit too much pressure on his shoulders.

Anyway, I would definitely suggest this exercise over the standing shoulder press.

Looks good , doing my shoulders today so going to add it in for a change ,

I always train legs on a Monday purely based on it being my strongest day & the fact it gives me at least 3 day DOMS afterwards. With it now being Wednesday, my DOMS are at the peak of their pain. I'm considering doing a 45 minute spin class to loosen them off tonight after I've trained chest. Could prove to be fatal.

Snake Plissken

I also like to start my week with legs. Sunday is my cheat day so I like to get back on it with the hardest workout, it's the day when my diet is at it's strictest and I'm fully recovered from the week before. I only do five exercises but my legs are shaking when I walk home and I'm sore for days afterwards.

Squats, leg extensions, leg curls, Romanian deadlifts and calf raises = 1 ticket to gainsville going via painsville.

:jjyay: