Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Played my first 90 minutes in 11 years yesterday and i am like a fecking cripple today.

Any hints / tips to help my recovery? Is gentle exercise a good idea?

PS scored from my own half, with a through ball :verysmug:

Creepy Lurker

Anyone got any experience with deload weeks? Thinking about doing one next week as I'm stalling pretty badly at the moment and was just wondering what people's thoughts on them are.

Everything I read on them states they're a good idea. I started having one every 5 weeks (as in 4 training, 1 rest) and I feel much better. Only done it 3 times but all my squat weights have gone up and my times for running and rowing have gone down. I genuinely felt much stronger when I went back after a week off, which is obviously the point. I also feel I looked better as well, I still ate decent when I was resting. I should also state, I still done a lot of mobility work and stretched every day, as I feel like shite if I don't. I also still played footy on a Sunday morning.

Why not just try it and see what you think?

Edited by The Brow

Creepy Lurker

Everything I read on them states they're a good idea. I started having one every 5 weeks (as in 4 training, 1 rest) and I feel much better. Only done it 3 times but all my squat weights have gone up and my times for running and rowing have gone down. I genuinely felt much stronger when I went back after a week off, which is obviously the point. I also feel I looked better as well, I still ate decent when I was resting. I should also state, I still done a lot of mobility work and stretched every day, as I feel like shite if I don't. I also still played footy on a Sunday morning.

Thanks for that. Yeah, everything I've read on them has been positive, I just find it difficult getting into the mindset of it being okay to go lighter for a while. Will probably do it next week, still going into the gym but reducing all my lifts by half.

You've touched on something that always happens to me. Whenever I have a week or two off, I always feel as though I am in better shape than when I'm lifting. Is this just in my mind or is there something to it?! Someone hit me with some bro science.

Creepy Lurker

You've touched on something that always happens to me. Whenever I have a week or two off, I always feel as though I am in better shape than when I'm lifting. Is this just in my mind or is there something to it?! Someone hit me with some bro science.

There's some interesting stuff about overreaching and underreaching periods, ie you'll see better gains if you push yourself hard for a period of time and follow it up with a lighter recovery period. Before getting back into it than if you try to train at the same intensity all the time. Could be connected to that.

Thanks for that. Yeah, everything I've read on them has been positive, I just find it difficult getting into the mindset of it being okay to go lighter for a while. Will probably do it next week, still going into the gym but reducing all my lifts by half.

Let us know how you go. I've got 3 weeks to go until my next rest/light week.

Snake Plissken

First session back after two weeks off and my lifts were SHITE, way under where I was before I left.

The heat isn't helping though, absolutely ridiculous levels of humidity means I'm lucky if I get five hours sleep in a night. I had my bodyfat checked, 12.5%, so I didn't do too much damage during my time off. I want to get that down to 10 by the end of the month/first week of September.

Tried deload week a couple of times.

Personally, i prefer just taking a week off completely.

Everyone's different though.

Guest GhostHunter

Tried deload week a couple of times.

Personally, i prefer just taking a week off completely.

Everyone's different though.

With Sten on this - whilst I get massive pangs of guilt for taking the time off, I generally feel better for it when I go back...

With Sten on this - whilst I get massive pangs of guilt for taking the time off, I generally feel better for it when I go back...

I only get pangs of enjoyment.

Creepy Lurker

Going to try doing a deload first and see how I get on with that. Not ruling out weeks off in the future if I don't like it.

Going to feel like a proper gayboy lifting half of what I usually do, though.

Going to try doing a deload first and see how I get on with that. Not ruling out weeks off in the future if I don't like it.

Going to feel like a proper gayboy lifting half of what I usually do, though.

Haha. I know the feeling.

Recently we've been adding a 4 set drop set at the end of a compound exercise.

So after 5 sets of bench, working up the way, I've been going back to my first weight of 70kg and hitting 10 reps followed by 10 reps at 60, 50 and 40.

If someone walked in they'd see my toiling to lift 40kg, the last couple of reps are disgusting. :lol:

Creepy Lurker

Haha. I know the feeling.

Recently we've been adding a 4 set drop set at the end of a compound exercise.

So after 5 sets of bench, working up the way, I've been going back to my first weight of 70kg and hitting 10 reps followed by 10 reps at 60, 50 and 40.

If someone walked in they'd see my toiling to lift 40kg, the last couple of reps are disgusting. :lol:

:lol:

I squat three times a week, so the middle session's normally lighter and every time I do it I'm paranoid people will think the amount I do on the light day (90-95kg usually) is just how much I squat. In reality they probably haven't noticed/don't care anyway, but that makes me no less paranoid.

:lol:

I squat three times a week, so the middle session's normally lighter and every time I do it I'm paranoid people will think the amount I do on the light day (90-95kg usually) is just how much I squat. In reality they probably haven't noticed/don't care anyway, but that makes me no less paranoid.

Agreed!

3 times a week is admirable. I get squats in twice and light day is usually 20 rep sets starting at 70. You definitely feel paranoid. :lol:

Folk are genuinely concerned about what other blokes at the gym might think about the weights they are lifting? :vrface:

"Oh gosh what if Steve notices I'm only lifting 95kg...I'm going to have to lift 130kg next time so he knows I'm, like, totally super strong."

:bitgay:

Ray, do you suffer from small man syndrome?

You've got a reoccurring SMS attitude on this thread.

Give it a rest. It's dull.

Not at all, I'm 6'2". I just find the attitudes displayed in here a regular source of bewilderment and amusement.

It's about the only thread on kickback where everyone is helpful an positive about the topic. Good range of information and a bit of banter.

Your just coming across as a knob tbh.

It's about the only thread on kickback where everyone is helpful an positive about the topic. Good range of information and a bit of banter.

Your just coming across as a knob tbh.

I'm in the right place then.

Ray, do you suffer from small man syndrome?

You've got a reoccurring SMS attitude on this thread.

Give it a rest. It's dull.

He's trying to outdo CL's Paleo meltdown of a few months ago.

weaversknowe jambo

My gym is getting this My Zone fitness installed.. Looks like it's a fancy heart rate monitor to me? they are trying to sign folk up for it at the moment and I am in two minds. Is anyone using this? if so are there really any benefits?

http://myzone.org/

Would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

Think Ray needs to chill out and unwind. This song should help, it led to massive gainzzzzz when I added it to my playlist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhl5K0mTSKY

People seem to be confusing piss-taking with anger. When somebody says something that you consider to be daft, and you in return mock it, are you angry? Are you wound up? I'm not.

I didn't realise there were such sensitive wee souls in here. I'm sorry lifting bros, I didn't mean to hurt you so. :(

Looks like a crapper version of the Technogym Wellness system that my gym has had on the go for 11 years.

It's not exactly cutting edge and the function seems very basic.

It would work for people who are struggling to motivate themselves and it's probably a good way to make sure that people get their heart rate to a level that is actually benefitting them rather than just plodding along, and it will give you a good illustration of cardio fitness gains.

If it's free, no harm in trying it out, but I wouldn't be paying extra for it.

Guest GhostHunter

Little bro in the gym this morning, full of the "cant stop looking in the mirror dude" every time he's in despite me having seen more meat on the end of a butchers pencil, on Smith Machine with 15kgs on each side, desperately trying to push..everytime he failed and ended up limboing out from underneath it...

Probably shouldn't have, but I chuckled...

If you're going to stand in front of the mirror and do an "Oor Wullie", at least then make sure you can lift what you're putting on the bench.

I know, I'm bad for chuckling, so I'll just put it down to him deloading and move on.

:D

Nuffield Health are getting new weight machines in this week so have decided to close the whole weight room(including free weights) between Tuesday and Friday. Sucks.

Creepy Lurker

Are you wound up? I'm not.

Seems legit. Why would he go to such pains to claim not to be angry if he was actually angry?

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Need some advice chaps. Want to get in better shape, not fat or anything just want to tone up. It's mainly my legs that bother me, they have always been thin I used to run but didn't change. Was thinking about getting a good exercise bike and an ab trainer for my stomach. And no I can't stand the gym lol.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Scott Napier

Agree about getting out and about on a bike. Even if you just started going to work on it you should notice the guns toning up. Edinburgh Leisure do RPM bike spinning classes which are short and intense. A couple a week for a few weeks should yield some results too.

Creepy Lurker

Ab trainers are a total waste of money. What do you actually want out of fitness? What are your goals?

Need some advice chaps. Want to get in better shape, not fat or anything just want to tone up. It's mainly my legs that bother me, they have always been thin I used to run but didn't change. Was thinking about getting a good exercise bike and an ab trainer for my stomach. And no I can't stand the gym lol.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Avoid both - you'll never use the bike and the ab things are a waste of space.

I can't stand the gym either but a decent diet and a couple of trips a week will make a difference. It helps if you go straight from work and try and think of it as part of your working day. There's no way I'd motivate myself to go regularly after I've been home and had dinner etc.

As suggested above, see the fitness thread in the stickies.

Anyone suffered from forearm splints before and have any tips on how to heal them? Had to cut my bicep/forearm workout short today because of the pain.

Thinking I'll probably just have to take some time off :(

Edited by moogsy

Creepy Lurker

'Got many sets to go?'

It could be one or it could be ten, and you asking won't ******* change that. :seething:

Guest GhostHunter

'Got many sets to go?'

It could be one or it could be ten, and you asking won't ******* change that. :seething:

Yep - I always add on an extra 2 sets when I get asked that - or go into extreme slo-mo push action.

'Got many sets to go?'

Why?

I'll ask and if they say yes I'll do something else if they say no I'll wait.

Why would you deliberately screw up a bro's workout?

Creepy Lurker

Why?

I'll ask and if they say yes I'll do something else if they say no I'll wait.

Why would you deliberately screw up a bro's workout?

It's a not-so-subtle way of telling someone to hurry up, at least most of the time. People are going to take as long as they're going to take.

The People's Chimp

I do occasionally ask, it's more so I know whether to go and start something else. It can be quite annoying though when it's folk just trying a 'not so subtle hurry up.'

Edited by The People's Chimp