Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Creepy Lurker

Is anyone doing/done Insanity?

Started it a few days ago and they mention a lot of ?recovery formula? I looked in to the one they advise, but due to living abroad, I?ve not found anywhere I can get it delivered. Do you know if I can just substitute it for another protein supplement or if it?s actually necessary at all?

cheers

Recovery shakes are a rip off.

Not too big a fan of stuff like Insanity etc as it's fine for a few weeks but doesn't give you anything to move onto after that (unless you buy their next DVD, of course...). Good luck with it, though.

PS

1011963_550760211627889_554717824_n.png

Guest GhostHunter

Can I just give everyone a virtual man hug to celebrate the achievement of getting to 5-1 pages!

I should really close it and start another :)

Have we all stopped keeping fit now?

I was in France binge drinking and eating cheese for the last 10 days. Hit the gym on Monday for a 'Manchester Mile' which is 30 bodyweight deadlifts then a 1 mile run.

Holy ****. Was running like I had sh1t my pants for the first couple of hundred metres. Back in yesterday for some floor presses followed by a 2k row.

Feeling much better now, got a lifting class later which I use as a 'rest day' as its more technique than actual weight.

Have we all stopped keeping fit now?

I was in France binge drinking and eating cheese for the last 10 days. Hit the gym on Monday for a 'Manchester Mile' which is 30 bodyweight deadlifts then a 1 mile run.

Holy ****. Was running like I had sh1t my pants for the first couple of hundred metres. Back in yesterday for some floor presses followed by a 2k row.

Feeling much better now, got a lifting class later which I use as a 'rest day' as its more technique than actual weight.

I'm still hammering away at it!

Must try that Manchester Mile you mention, sounds a killer. How do you do the 30 deadlifts in terms of sets, just one big set or do you break it down with short rests in between?

The People's Chimp

I feel your pain Brow. Just back from Italy, had a week of amazing food, beer, wine and patisseries each morning. That's on top of a few other things which have got in the way so I've missed about 2 weeks. Feeling like tonight (first night back) is going to be brutal. :lol:

I'm still hammering away at it!

Must try that Manchester Mile you mention, sounds a killer. How do you do the 30 deadlifts in terms of sets, just one big set or do you break it down with short rests in between?

I do 10 then rest for a few seconds then another 10 then rest then I just bash out the final 10 as good as I can. Only problem is that if you rush them, make sure you keep your back locked as you can really **** up your back if your technique is poor. But then, you probably know that!

Im lucky in that my 1 rep PB is 160 and I weigh 80 so bodyweight deadlift is reasonably light for me. 30 does end up feeling pretty heavy by the end!

This deadlift chat is upsetting me.

Returned to doing them after around 6 weeks off them. (Lower back injury)

Pre injury my 1rm was 190kg @ 80kg bw.

Injured myself tying 200. I knew right away the weight wasn't going up, but a few folk were watching and I didn't want to fail. IDIOT.

140 was my heaviest set upon return. Soul destroying. It will come back I suppose.

Snake Plissken

My deadlifts are shite :sob:

My 1rm is 150kg but I can barely get more than six reps out of anything heavier than 120kg as my grip always gives out.

I know I could probably get wrist straps or something but I don't want my grip to fall even further behind. It's really frustrating having to stop not because I can't do anymore but because the bar is practically out of my hands after 3 or 4 reps. Work is required on my grip strength.

Franklin Delano Bluth

My deadlifts are shite :sob:

My 1rm is 150kg but I can barely get more than six reps out of anything heavier than 120kg as my grip always gives out.

I know I could probably get wrist straps or something but I don't want my grip to fall even further behind. It's really frustrating having to stop not because I can't do anymore but because the bar is practically out of my hands after 3 or 4 reps. Work is required on my grip strength.

I have the same problem. I got wrist straps, but I am worried about what you say re grip just getting worse, so I don't know if i'll continue to use them. They have helped a lot though.

I have the same problem. I got wrist straps, but I am worried about what you say re grip just getting worse, so I don't know if i'll continue to use them. They have helped a lot though.

wrist straps are the way forward, i only use them once i'm pulling a weight which is too heavy for a normal grip. Not sure of my 1RM as i don't personally like doing singles, my 5RM is 190 so looking to get that to 195 then 200 hopefully within next 2-3 months. Always find if i deadlift that kind of weight 2-3 times a week i'm absolutely done in for playing football though

5 at 190, nice Els.

Snake, I was in the same boat as you until I bought chalk and started using a "mixed grip". One overhand, one underhand.

Incredible difference for me.

Chalk cost ?4 and I reckon it's going to last a year.

Started using it for overhead press and bench too. The bar at Pure is greasy otherwise and the knurling is wearing away too. Really like it.

Went down the gym today for a 2k row. Seeing as it was boiling outside I dragged a rower outside into the sun. Was around 25-28 degrees here at 5pm, which is lovely, if you're in a beer garden.

Holy ****. Genuinely thought I was going to pass out around the 1500m mark. Vision went blurry and everything.

Took my tshirt off after and rung it out like a dish towel I'd dropped in the sink. Feel utterly messed now.

Still got 7m 11s.

Creepy Lurker

Snake, I was in the same boat as you until I bought chalk and started using a "mixed grip". One overhand, one underhand.

The exact same two things helped me, although I only chalk up for my heaviest set of the day. I find my grip's already started to go a bit by that point, so using the chalk helps. My deadlift's still ******* laughable though. Was actually squatting heavier than I was deadlifting until quite recently.

What gym do you go to that lets you drag rowing machines outside like :lol:

Its basically a big shed in the middle of an industrial estate. Its got pull up bars on the outside as well. Its not a David Lloyd-esque thing with TVs and a jacuzzi.

Its basically a big shed in the middle of an industrial estate. Its got pull up bars on the outside as well. Its not a David Lloyd-esque thing with TVs and a jacuzzi.

Sounds pretty good actually. Take it there is no ***** fannying about with phones etc in that place, just there to train.

Sounds pretty good actually. Take it there is no ***** fannying about with phones etc in that place, just there to train.

Yeah pretty much. Its literally a big space with runways for weights, pull up bars and piles of free weights. There's also 4 squat racks and loads of rowers and GHD machines.

Pretty much all you need. No treadmills though, if you want to run then you have to go outside. Same with cycling.

Snake Plissken

5 at 190, nice Els.

Incredible difference for me.

Chalk cost ?4 and I reckon it's going to last a year.

Started using it for overhead press and bench too. The bar at Pure is greasy otherwise and the knurling is wearing away too. Really like it.

I do the over/under already but I'll have to look into chalk, that was something I'd considered before.

Did you buy it online or in a shop?

I've just finished a cut so I'm going back on a bulk when I get back from Thailand, heavier deadlifts will be required.

Guest GhostHunter

Sounds like a prison rec yard.

:ninja::D

Found my new least favourite exercise this week - Calf Pressing +110kg.

I swear someone's sticking hot pokers in the back of my legs.

Sounds like a prison rec yard.

:ninja::D

Found my new least favourite exercise this week - Calf Pressing +110kg.

I swear someone's sticking hot pokers in the back of my legs.

Pussy :lol: - just kidding. At the moment, I'm doing 130kg calf raises on leg day.

Sitting at 90kg back squats - 4 sets of 8 reps - bit disappointing, but it's going up slowly but surely.

Deadlifting 95kg - 4 sets of 8 reps.

I do the over/under already but I'll have to look into chalk, that was something I'd considered before.

Did you buy it online or in a shop?

I've just finished a cut so I'm going back on a bulk when I get back from Thailand, heavier deadlifts will be required.

Bought it at Go Outdoors at Granton.

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/metolius-chalk-sock-p123375

Spare block is cheap as too(

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/metolius-block-chalk-p162497

I need to be sneaky and tidy with it these days as the manager told me I wasn't allowed to use it.

:facepalm:

It's a gym, not a show home FFS.

Bought it at Go Outdoors at Granton.

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/metolius-chalk-sock-p123375

Spare block is cheap as too(

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/metolius-block-chalk-p162497

I need to be sneaky and tidy with it these days as the manager told me I wasn't allowed to use it.

:facepalm:

It's a gym, not a show home FFS.

Were you in on wed? Saw a fair bit of it on the floor of the weights area :lol:

Tuesday night mate. So potentially was.

Took wed and thurs off as I got more tattoo work done.

I don't see anyone else using chalk so probably was me. Haha.

Snake Plissken

My gym makes you take off your outdoor shoes so they'll probably have a fit if I bring chalk in.

Not that that'll stop me, mind.

Edited by Snake Plissken

Snake Plissken

*inserts badass over here meme*

I don't let anything get in the way of my gainzzzz

Edited by Snake Plissken

Tuesday night mate. So potentially was.

Took wed and thurs off as I got more tattoo work done.

I don't see anyone else using chalk so probably was me. Haha.

A bit off topic, but I'm getting my half sleeve done on Tuesday, I'm assuming I'm not allowed to train after I've had it done? Or was that just out of choice?

Creepy Lurker

I normally really try not to pay attention to or judge other people in the gym, but holy **** there's a right squad of bellends using the Pleasance. It's basically two big guys who lift heavy, a few wee skinny guys and one fatty. A bit of grunting's fine, but T Rex style noises when squatting 80kg for 8 reps? **** off mate.

A bit off topic, but I'm getting my half sleeve done on Tuesday, I'm assuming I'm not allowed to train after I've had it done? Or was that just out of choice?

More choice tbh mate.

2 days off them back to it. Avoiding back and bi's for first few sessions. So chest, legs, shoulders all done first.

Always seems fine for me.

More choice tbh mate.

2 days off them back to it. Avoiding back and bi's for first few sessions. So chest, legs, shoulders all done first.

Always seems fine for me.

Cheers Sten - I suppose it makes sense.

Leg day = :sob:

I know it's been said you don't gave to cycle creatine.

But after 10 weeks is it maybe better to do so?

Will body build up immunity? Or should I just keep bashing on?

I know it's been said you don't gave to cycle creatine.

But after 10 weeks is it maybe better to do so?

Will body build up immunity? Or should I just keep bashing on?

Genuinely no idea, I don't take any sort of creatine or shakes. Surely you can't build an immunity though?

Im currently in the middle of a snatch cycle. Been adding 2.5-5kg per week to my snatch (ooh -er). Now up to 50kg full snatch depth, feel like a ******* ninja!

Anyone do complexes? Got this for tonight;

10 Rounds;

1 Snatch

1 Behind the neck split jerk

1 Overhead Squat

I'll be doing 45kg as the first lift is easily my weakest and I can imagine it might look like shit after a few when I'm tired.

The People's Chimp

Why not try a week off and see how that works? Felt that it was good to take a week or two off it when I went on holiday, but maybe was just feeling the benefit of a rest period and a calorie increase.

Creepy Lurker

Creatine's a protein, so you can't really build up an immunity to it afaik. You can probably take a week or so off without damaging performance as your stores will be saturated, but there's no special benefit to doing so.

Creatine's a protein, so you can't really build up an immunity to it afaik. You can probably take a week or so off without damaging performance as your stores will be saturated, but there's no special benefit to doing so.

Cheers. Will just keep bashing on then.

Guest GhostHunter

Um, creatine isn't a protein.....

Creepy Lurker

I was posting from my phone so called it protein as shorthand because it's a term people would understand.

It's made up of three amino acids, which makes it a tripeptide. To be considered a protein per se, it'd need to be far more complex in its molecular structure, ie it'd need to be a polypeptide. Regardless, it's produced from amino acids in the same fashion as protein and for the purposes of the point I was making the distinction isn't useful.

Is that better?

So long as I ain't gonna harm myself by not cycling it, I'm happy. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sten Guns

Another 4 seconds of my PB for the 2km row.

Down to 7.13.

Also down to 26.1% body fat from 33.5% in October last year.

Another 4 seconds of my PB for the 2km row.

Down to 7.13.

Also down to 26.1% body fat from 33.5% in October last year.

Decent time. I find doing sets of 1k helped get me under 7m for a 2k. for example

Row 1k x 5 with 6 mins rest between.

Its ******* ball breaking by the last 2 sets.

Also, rowing with a powerful 'lazy' stroke using your thighs far more than your arms helped bring my times down massively. I do about 1 stroke every 5-6 seconds.

Edited by The Brow

Decent time. I find doing sets of 1k helped get me under 7m for a 2k. for example

Also, rowing with a powerful 'lazy' stroke using your thighs far more than your arms helped bring my times down massively. I do about 1 stroke every 5-6 seconds.

Funny thing is, I'm not trying hard to beat any PB's, I'm just training to lose weight through a mixture of swimming, and doing 2 x cardio machines followed by some weights to bulk up a wee bit and speed up my metabolism.

I just go hard and try and beat my time because it makes me work harder and the PB's just keep on coming as I get fitter.

A nice little side benefit!

Konrad von Carstein

See your 1K sets? What time are you aiming for or is it as hard as you can for the 1K?

Snake Plissken

After two weeks in Thailand, I'll be back on it tomorrow.

I did some swimming and push-ups here and there but nothing serious, I'm laughably shite at swimming and I don't think I've ever done more than 20 lengths in one go :lol:

I know a few regular contributors on this thread do Muay Thai so I figured I'd write a wee bit about going to watch it in Thailand...

I took in some fights while in Pattaya, they're held a couple of nights a week. I thought Friday would have been a good night to go but apparently, that's the quiet night. I got the fight schedule, in Thai obviously, but there were some numbers under 'W' so it wasn't too big a stretch to assume those were the weights.

The thing was, some of those numbers were seriously tiny, 25, 35, 40... the largest was 70. Surely not kilograms we thought, but then a boy who couldn't have been any older than 9 walked out to Enter Sandman and proceeded to KO another equally miniature competitor in the second round with a vicious kick to the body.

About half the fights were between kids, there was a Russian lad (15/16) who put away a Thai in the first round but most of the fights went at least a few rounds and many went the distance. They were all pretty competitive and, to my untrained eyes at least, of reasonable skill levels. Except for one guy who looked like he'd been pulled off the streets, he was maybe 16/17 and he was ******* mental. Every punch was a wild haymaker and he was practically chasing the other boy around the ring, the crowd were going nuts cheering him on.

It was a pretty entertaining night but I obviously wanted to see people fighting who weren't up past their bedtimes. I got to see that a few days later when I went to a larger arena a few nights later. It seemed like it was the guy in better shape who tended to win the fights, there wasn't a great deal between most of them.

After watching those fights, I quite fancy giving the training a go, I'm looking into some gyms around the area for training. Won't be easy with the language barrier but hopefully I'll get something sorted.

See your 1K sets? What time are you aiming for or is it as hard as you can for the 1K?

I try and keep between 3:25 and 3:35 for 1k, which is pretty much flat out.