Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I'm looking to buy either an elliptical machine or a rowing machine in the next week or so. Which one should I go for, Creepy?

I'd say my budget's around ?400 and I'm looking to lose a bit of weight. Ever since I've ruined my shins I feel like I've ballooned so both of them being low impact appeals to me. I'll be using it in conjunction with a set of free-weights I've got lying around somewhere so in that respect I'm more inclined to go for the elliptical.

Thoughts?

**** me!

Just did my first full body in quite a while. First time I've ever had a go at hack squats. Finished up and was feeling good, was about to run over to the shop for something, stepped on the first stair and my legs just turned to jelly. Just about took a tumble down about 20 steps.

Good workout. :lol:

Vlad-Stupid

been a right lazy bollocks and done feck all for a week. Done 20 mins on the bike tonight and some body weight circuits so looking forward to feeling sore tomorrow. If im not sore i think ill go out for a run before work. Lost 12pounds now which i think is mainly down to the good eating so going to get right back in to the exercise again and try and knock another stone off :thumbsup:

peter_hmfc

Is all the inticate specifications like in Creepy Lurkers post really necessary or can you be successful just randomly doing what you think you need to do?

I'm freakishly weedy so I was hoping to bulk up at least a bit, but if I have to construct some sort of diagram time-table then I'm tempted to give up before I've begun. Seems very off puttng.

Creepy Lurker

I'm looking to buy either an elliptical machine or a rowing machine in the next week or so. Which one should I go for, Creepy?

I'd say my budget's around ?400 and I'm looking to lose a bit of weight. Ever since I've ruined my shins I feel like I've ballooned so both of them being low impact appeals to me. I'll be using it in conjunction with a set of free-weights I've got lying around somewhere so in that respect I'm more inclined to go for the elliptical.

Thoughts?

To be honest, mate, I'd say that there isn't a great deal between them; it's down to personal preference, really.

I prefer to use an elliptical machine, though.

Is all the inticate specifications like in Creepy Lurkers post really necessary or can you be successful just randomly doing what you think you need to do?

I'm freakishly weedy so I was hoping to bulk up at least a bit, but if I have to construct some sort of diagram time-table then I'm tempted to give up before I've begun. Seems very off puttng.

I'm going to try hard not to seem arrogant or dismissive here.

Whatever your aims, fitness is hard work. Attitudes like the one expressed above really annoy me; if someone says to me that they don't want to be fit badly enough to dedicate the required time and effort to training I'll shake them by the hand, but I can't stand the attitude of thinking that you'll be able to do anything worthwhile without putting in the required effort.

In the spirit of this thread, though: you won't do anything useful without at least having a workout plan. Any personal trainer will be able to give you a basic one. If you're in any way serious about training, you should also be paying attention to what you eat...but to be honest, I don't think that you're in any way serious about training.

Just take a multivitamin, lift heavy and good luck with your fitness goals in 2011...

not srs

peter_hmfc

I'm going to try hard not to seem arrogant or dismissive here.

Whatever your aims, fitness is hard work. Attitudes like the one expressed above really annoy me; if someone says to me that they don't want to be fit badly enough to dedicate the required time and effort to training I'll shake them by the hand, but I can't stand the attitude of thinking that you'll be able to do anything worthwhile without putting in the required effort.

In the spirit of this thread, though: you won't do anything useful without at least having a workout plan. Any personal trainer will be able to give you a basic one. If you're in any way serious about training, you should also be paying attention to what you eat...but to be honest, I don't think that you're in any way serious about training.

I don't see how my self-depreciation, exaggeration and beginner nerves can somehow annoy or be offensive to YOU. I didn't slate your routine saying it was over the top or such at all, nor would I seriously give up like that. I was merely asking if someone can be successful without having a SPECIFIC routine. Basically doing what they themselves feel they need to do.

The problem is that I don't have a personal trainer at all so I'm on my own making a plan or routine. That's why I asked if I could be successful without a trainer-given plan.

From reading a few more pages I gathered a plan was paramount. I don't have a trainer, I don't have a plan. That's what I was worried about, that's why I asked.

I do watch what I eat by the way, and if anything I need to eat more. Due to high metabolism, I assume, it's partly out of my control or at least made harder.

I don't see how my self-depreciation, exaggeration and beginner nerves can somehow annoy or be offensive to YOU. I didn't slate your routine saying it was over the top or such at all, nor would I seriously give up like that. I was merely asking if someone can be successful without having a SPECIFIC routine. Basically doing what they themselves feel they need to do.

The problem is that I don't have a personal trainer at all so I'm on my own making a plan or routine. That's why I asked if I could be successful without a trainer-given plan.

From reading a few more pages I gathered a plan was paramount. I don't have a trainer, I don't have a plan. That's what I was worried about, that's why I asked.

I do watch what I eat by the way, and if anything I need to eat more. Due to high metabolism, I assume, it's partly out of my control or at least made harder.

Why wouldn't you want a specific routine though?

I'd rather research at home for a good few hours, getting some knowledge of what you need to do to achieve your goals. You can't just go to the gym with no routine, diet etc and expect to pack on muscle or lose weight or w/e. It doesn't work like that.

Creepy Lurker

I didn't say that it was offensive; I said that it was annoying.

In any area of life - be it fitness, academia, the world of employment or anywhere else - you need to work hard to be successful. In any area of life, therefore, I find it annoying when people seem to expect to be able to get results without putting in the required time, effort and (where appropriate) research.

To put it a different way, I don't know if you're in education, working or whatever, but would you expect to succeed there without having to work at it? I doubt that you would, so I don't see why you'd expect fitness to be any different.

Your question's now been answered (and you seem to want to ignore that answer), in any case. Given that your stated aim is to bulk up a bit, you'll need a plan to see any results. If all that you wanted to do was get fitter, you might be able to get away with going for a run, swim or cycle every so often without any specific plan, but if you want to build muscle then getting a plan drawn up is the single most important stage.

I personally believe that it's better to learn a bit about what you're doing, which helps you to help yourself, but that's something that you do as you go along (indeed, it's something that you never really stop doing), but any beginner's better off getting a plan done for them by someone else. That could be a personal trainer, or you could just look one up. There are loads on the internet.

I'm studying history at uni. I'm not going to get a degree by reading a few books on vaguely related subjects from time to time and seeing where it takes me; I have to target my reading, read the right parts of the right books at the right times. Fitness is the same, and if you aren't willing to put in the time and effort required to do what you want to do you'll go nowhere fast.

Like I said, I was trying not to seem arrogant or dismissive earlier; that's still the case, and I apologise if I've come over in that way. It really is important to get it into your head, though, that fitness involves hard work.

Got my gym induction sorted for later in the week, quite looking forward to it!

I bought myself a bench and some dumbells around a month ago and went to task at trying to get rid/tone up my man chebs :lol: I have to say I'm already noticing a difference, but if I want to achieve more then I think cardio is the only way forward.

If anybody doesn't want a personal trainer or would feel awkward doing so, I recommend Youtube. You will get guys showing you routines and explaining what musceles are being worked etc.

Looking for abit of advice chaps. Currently weigh around 12 stone. Looking to drop around two stone over the summer. I play football twice a week and feel that im pretty fit, I purchased a cross trainer last week which I go on for an hour in the morning, according to the x trainer im working off around 2k cals during this, is that about accurate? My average speed is around 27 kph. I lost around 2lb last week so I feel this is a good start! Im looking for diet advice, my diet is terrible, I know i will not be able to sustain a balanced diet for long so im looking to try and cheat abit. Looking for a food that I can use to replace most of the shit on my diet at the moment. Perhaps something like brown rice? I know quick easy fixes are not the answer however im willing to work my arse off in the gym and hopefully make up for my poor diet!

Help!

Looking for abit of advice chaps. Currently weigh around 12 stone. Looking to drop around two stone over the summer. I play football twice a week and feel that im pretty fit, I purchased a cross trainer last week which I go on for an hour in the morning, according to the x trainer im working off around 2k cals during this, is that about accurate? My average speed is around 27 kph. I lost around 2lb last week so I feel this is a good start! Im looking for diet advice, my diet is terrible, I know i will not be able to sustain a balanced diet for long so im looking to try and cheat abit. Looking for a food that I can use to replace most of the shit on my diet at the moment. Perhaps something like brown rice? I know quick easy fixes are not the answer however im willing to work my arse off in the gym and hopefully make up for my poor diet!

Help!

2000 calories in a hour?

I bought a cross trainer a few months back and go on for roughly 45 mins at 25-26 kph and burn around 250 calories so I can't see how you can burn 2000 :unsure:

Diet wise I have cut out fizzy juice (Apart from a few red bulls for my vodka) and cut right down on crisps and I've started losing weight again.As has been said on the thread.Eat as soon as you can in the morning.

I'm in training for this 10k and not finding it easy.But it's not until 2nd October so I've plenty time.

I'm drinking a lot of Green Tea with lemon and that is meant to help you exercise better as well as be good for your insides.

Edit::: I'll never see 12 stone again :lol:

Quick question for whoever can answer.I'm just over 6 foot what should my weight be? I read that my ideal weight should be around 13 stone but when I was at the doctors last he said that 14 stone would be a better weight for me!

Edited by Vincent Kennedy McMahon

2000 calories in a hour?

I bought a cross trainer a few months back and go on for roughly 45 mins at 25-26 kph and burn around 250 calories so I can't see how you can burn 2000 :unsure:

Diet wise I have cut out fizzy juice (Apart from a few red bulls for my vodka) and cut right down on crisps and I've started losing weight again.As has been said on the thread.Eat as soon as you can in the morning.

I'm in training for this 10k and not finding it easy.But it's not until 2nd October so I've plenty time.

I'm drinking a lot of Green Tea with lemon and that is meant to help you exercise better as well as be good for your insides.

Edit::: I'll never see 12 stone again :lol:

Quick question for whoever can answer.I'm just over 6 foot what should my weight be? I read that my ideal weight should be around 13 stone but when I was at the doctors last he said that 14 stone would be a better weight for me!

Perhaps due to the resistance Levels? I bought the Reebok 2.1 Cross Trainer with the heart moniter etc and it says around 2k!

edit

A quick google seems to suggest with no resistence about 45 minutes on a Cross Trainer burns about 419 calories, so about an hour with the resistence wacked up and mixing the speed up and down would suggest iam burning around 2k! I stand to be corrected though!

Edited by CraigSN1

Perhaps due to the resistance Levels? I bought the Reebok 2.1 Cross Trainer with the heart moniter etc and it says around 2k!

edit

A quick google seems to suggest with no resistence about 45 minutes on a Cross Trainer burns about 419 calories, so about an hour with the resistence wacked up and mixing the speed up and down would suggest iam burning around 2k! I stand to be corrected though!

It could be mine is wrong and I'm burning more than 250 but I really doubt you would burn 2000 in a hour.

Can't remember what this one is called.But it has the Calories etc on it.

Sure someone will be along soon to tell us were both talking pish :lol:

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

250 seems really low and 2000 seems really high :laugh:

Think about it, 25km/h is about 15m/h. Imagine running at that speed for 45 minutes - no danger you only burned 250 calories!

250 seems really low and 2000 seems really high :laugh:

Think about it, 25km/h is about 15m/h. Imagine running at that speed for 45 minutes - no danger you only burned 250 calories!

I was thinking that but that's what it said :unsure:

You definitely won't be burning 2000 calories in one hour.

What do you think wee both burning ?

peter_hmfc

To Creepy Lurker.

I see. I understand what you mean and I was just a bit taken a back at a response to what was to me a quick, insincere comment. Didn't mean to start an arguement but I agree with what you mean about it taking time etc.

To Scott/Sconnie

I'll have a look on youtube as well thanks, but the thing is there's SO MANY different channels, website, blogs, tutorials etc, it's impossible to know which would really fit.

Anyways I went to Pure Gym today (on the back of a 1 hour walk that morning, and a 30 min walk to the Pure Gym, then 30 mins back). It was intended to be more of a test visit but I ended up staying for hours. Left my house at about 3pm and got back at about 7pm. :o I didn't intend to stay so long but I decided to blank the Swansea v Reading game and watch it on V+.

I went without a plan/routine (yet, still working on that) so it was just to get an idea of how the equipment works, what suits, personal ability etc.

Did a good 10,000 metres or so on the rowing machine, about an hour in total (15mins x 4), a short turn on the cycling machine and a few on the "Seated Dip".

I feel great now but I forgot about the next morning, so I'm going to be completely crippled aching tomorrow.

To Scott/Sconnie

I'll have a look on youtube as well thanks, but the thing is there's SO MANY different channels, website, blogs, tutorials etc, it's impossible to know which would really fit.

Anyways I went to Pure Gym today (on the back of a 1 hour walk that morning, and a 30 min walk to the Pure Gym, then 30 mins back). It was intended to be more of a test visit but I ended up staying for hours. Left my house at about 3pm and got back at about 7pm. :o I didn't intend to stay so long but I decided to blank the Swansea v Reading game and watch it on V+.

I went without a plan/routine (yet, still working on that) so it was just to get an idea of how the equipment works, what suits, personal ability etc.

Did a good 10,000 metres or so on the rowing machine, about an hour in total (15mins x 4), a short turn on the cycling machine and a few on the "Seated Dip".

I feel great now but I forgot about the next morning, so I'm going to be completely crippled aching tomorrow.

I've been watching alot of Mike Chang's videos. I've been doing alot of his dumbell exercises and I'm seeing improvments.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sixpackshortcuts

I would also like to add, I'm not looking for a sixpack shortcut before anyone takes the piss :thumbsup:

To Creepy Lurker.

I see. I understand what you mean and I was just a bit taken a back at a response to what was to me a quick, insincere comment. Didn't mean to start an arguement but I agree with what you mean about it taking time etc.

To Scott/Sconnie

Mate, you should be spending 45 minutes to an hour (max) in the gym. 4 hours is pretty ridic!

Tommy Wiseau

4 hours? :lol:

Peter's trying to exercise himself into an early grave likes. Well, that or he's one of they guys that sits at the machine for a half hour in between sets doing feck all. :lol:

To be fair, he clearly said he was getting a feel for the machines etc. so obviously wasn't going at it full pelt for 4 hours. While I'd agree 4 hours is very excessive it's clearly not what he's going to be doing every time.

I've constantly been checking up on this thread as I'm A few weeks into a program myself. It's getting a bit 'I know more than anyone else about fitness' like, almost 'my c*cks bigger than yours.

Very sad.

Creepy Lurker

As far as the cardio machines go, the 'calorie burn' figure is never very accurate, so I wouldn't get too hung up on it. It is a good way of measuring progress (ie if you used to be able to burn 200 calories as per the machine in x amount of time and it goes up to 250, you've improved), but the figure itself is probably way off anyway.

To Creepy Lurker.

As I said, I really didn't want to seem like I was being dismissive or anything. Good luck with what you choose to do, let us know how you get on. thumbsup.gif

I've constantly been checking up on this thread as I'm A few weeks into a program myself. It's getting a bit 'I know more than anyone else about fitness' like, almost 'my c*cks bigger than yours.

Very sad.

Is this aimed at me?

My only intention in this thread's been to help people, and I certainly haven't intended to come across as a know-it-all. The tone of my posts to Peter was probably a bit off, and there was one instance earlier in the thread of an argument with Jailbait in which neither of us exactly covered ourselves in glory, but other than that I don't think that I've done too badly. I've maybe posted quite a lot, but that's basically because I tend to log into Kickback on a daily basis and see no other thread that I can be arsed to post on.

Either way, I'm not going to get into an argument over it. If people aren't appreciating my posts, I'm more than happy to stop giving unwanted advice.

Is this aimed at me?

My only intention in this thread's been to help people, and I certainly haven't intended to come across as a know-it-all. The tone of my posts to Peter was probably a bit off, and there was one instance earlier in the thread of an argument with Jailbait in which neither of us exactly covered ourselves in glory, but other than that I don't think that I've done too badly. I've maybe posted quite a lot, but that's basically because I tend to log into Kickback on a daily basis and see no other thread that I can be arsed to post on.

Either way, I'm not going to get into an argument over it. If people aren't appreciating my posts, I'm more than happy to stop giving unwanted advice.

No wasn't aimed at one poster in particular, just one or two of the posts I'd read recently were annoying me. The one to Peter I did find a bit over the top, but obviously you've acknowledged that and it's hard to tell what sort of tone people are taking when they post on here!

peter_hmfc

To Sconnie.

Will have a look at that later, thanks.

As for the Creepy Lurker saga.

My reply and reaction was admittedly a bit overly sensitive and I seemed to get a bit pissy. Definitely wouldn't say that he's a top-dog show off kind as suggested, and my original post was quite a bit against the mentality of the thread. He seems to be pretty committed to fitness so it's inevitable he would know his stuff.

To Chrambo.

I did have to stop now and then to sit, do nothing but change the song on my Zen Player. It was on shuffle and brought up Camp Granada and Is This The Way To Amarillo? in order. Though you could say that a 20 second rest isn't exactly a skive. That and to stop to hog the drinking fountain.

As for the people saying 4 hours is too much, it seemed to turn into the opposite of procrastination where I put-off quitting for a while, deciding to stay "just another half over" several times. That and I wanted to miss the play-off as I said. Also I really have nothing else to do.

I woke up expecting to be crippled aching but I was pretty much fine, thinking about going again tomorrow.

Edited by peter_hmfc

Creepy Lurker

No wasn't aimed at one poster in particular, just one or two of the posts I'd read recently were annoying me. The one to Peter I did find a bit over the top, but obviously you've acknowledged that and it's hard to tell what sort of tone people are taking when they post on here!

Fair enough, I was probably over-sensitive in assuming that you were talking about me. I'm a bit paranoid about turning into one of those self important gym bores you see on bodybuilding forums. :lol:

To Sconnie.

Will have a look at that later, thanks.

As for the Creepy Lurker saga.

My reply and reaction was admittedly a bit overly sensitive and I seemed to get a bit pissy. Definitely wouldn't say that he's a top-dog show off kind as suggested, and my original post was quite a bit against the mentality of the thread. He seems to be pretty committed to fitness so it's inevitable he would know his stuff.

To Chrambo.

I did have to stop now and then to sit, do nothing but change the song on my Zen Player. It was on shuffle and brought up Camp Granada and Is This The Way To Amarillo? in order. Though you could say that a 20 second rest isn't exactly a skive. That and to stop to hog the drinking fountain.

As for the people saying 4 hours is too much, it seemed to turn into the opposite of procrastination where I put-off quitting for a while, deciding to stay "just another half over" several times. That and I wanted to miss the play-off as I said. Also I really have nothing else to do.

I woke up expecting to be crippled aching but I was pretty much fine, thinking about going again tomorrow.

Cheers mate, I can see why my original post would've annoyed you though!

What I would say is that, although the others weren't very helpful in failing to explain why, it's true that you shouldn't be spending 4 hours in the gym. After around 45 minutes to an hour of exercise, your body's testosterone levels will start to dip, which'll result in an increased risk of injury as well as your body going into a catabolic state (burning muscle instead of fat). In sorting out a programme, it's important to make sure that it only takes around 45-60 minutes (including warming up and down as well as rests between sets).

Does your gym offer the possibility of seeing an instructor to get a programme drawn up for you? I'd definitely recommend that any beginner starts out in this way. As you go along, you find that you get more confident in doing your own workouts, but it'd be a lot of work to do on when you've just started training.

Otherwise, I've heard good things about a workout called 'Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength', so googling that could be a good idea. I haven't had time to look at it in detail (if you click on the link, you'll understand why: it's massive!), but this thread looks pretty good.

Anyone got any good tips for deadlift form?

I'm quite tall and I'm finding it a struggle to keep my back straight when lifting heavier, too easy to arch and do it wrong. Also where should I be feeling it? My hamstrings and arse are in pain today ( :o ) ... sound about right?

The full body programme I'm doing is very demanding on legs. Feeling it big time but my upper body is fine!

I'm quite tall and I'm finding it a struggle to keep my back straight when lifting heavier, too easy to arch and do it wrong. Also where should I be feeling it? My hamstrings and arse are in pain today ( :o ) ... sound about right?

The full body programme I'm doing is very demanding on legs. Feeling it big time but my upper body is fine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

Always keep your head up. Pick a point on the wall or in front of you and focus on it, preferably one you have to look up to. Don't take your eyes off this point throughout the movement or exercise. Keep the weight light enough until you have have the correct form. Heavy lifting will come in time but only with the correct teckers!

I know it is best to stengthen back muscles to support other work I'm doing. (Joined a gym for about 3months now ontop of the sports I play) What excercises are good for this?

Also I'm a broad guy. I'm a bit overweight however I'm fairly fit and as I'm tall I'm not too much heavier than I should be.

I was 15.5 stone but I've lost half a stone fairly quickly. Now I'm stuck at 15. No doubt some of it is due to muscle and I feel fitter (also been told I look slimmer too) however regardless of what I do I can't seem to shift anymore weight and I've been going at it pretty hard. Advice?

I know it is best to stengthen back muscles to support other work I'm doing. (Joined a gym for about 3months now ontop of the sports I play) What excercises are good for this?

Also I'm a broad guy. I'm a bit overweight however I'm fairly fit and as I'm tall I'm not too much heavier than I should be.

I was 15.5 stone but I've lost half a stone fairly quickly. Now I'm stuck at 15. No doubt some of it is due to muscle and I feel fitter (also been told I look slimmer too) however regardless of what I do I can't seem to shift anymore weight and I've been going at it pretty hard. Advice?

Deadlifts

Wide-grip Pullups (Lat pull-down machine if you can't lift your bodyweight)

Up-right Rows

Bent-Over Barbell Rows

Seated Rows

T-Bar Rows

Hyper Extensions

All these are good back exercises. Up-right rows are great for your traps.

Search them on youtube and you should find a few videos on how to do them.

Deadlifts

Wide-grip Pullups (Lat pull-down machine if you can't lift your bodyweight)

Up-right Rows

Bent-Over Barbell Rows

Seated Rows

T-Bar Rows

Hyper Extensions

All these are good back exercises. Up-right rows are great for your traps.

Search them on youtube and you should find a few videos on how to do them.

Cheers I'll give some of those a go. :thumbsup:

I think the bent-over barbell rows look as if they could really help me. good shout.

Yeah it's a great exercise, has worked well for me.

My new regime starts tomorrow! I'm quite optimistic about it and I'm very determined to stick to it. :thumbsup:

I've been having a read through the thread and looking at your diets and I noticed alot of you drinking green tea, is it any good? Also, what kind of nuts are you guys chowing down on? I'm going to assume it's not KP nuts! :teehee:

My new regime starts tomorrow! I'm quite optimistic about it and I'm very determined to stick to it. :thumbsup:

I've been having a read through the thread and looking at your diets and I noticed alot of you drinking green tea, is it any good? Also, what kind of nuts are you guys chowing down on? I'm going to assume it's not KP nuts! :teehee:

Tastes like shit but is very good for you so is worth persevering with, you get used to it after a while. I drink the green tea with lemon 'flavour'.

Tastes like shit but is very good for you so is worth persevering with, you get used to it after a while. I drink the green tea with lemon 'flavour'.

I think I'll give this a bash tomorrow, though I think it'll taste something like Lemsip!

Creepy Lurker

Green tea's very good for you: it's high in antioxidants, and as part of a balanced diet can help to suppress cravings and stimulate fat burn. It isn't a magic potion, though, more something which can add an extra couple of per cent if you already have a good diet. I'd disagree with Alex that it doesn't taste good: I personally really like the taste of it.

As far as nuts go, any kind of unsalted nuts will do you good (go for ones which have been processed as little as possible). Almonds tend to get the best press and are probably the most popular, but it isn't as if there's a kind of nut that you shouldn't be eating.

On topic, I went for my first session at Pure Gym in Edinburgh city centre today and have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Previously when I'd been in Edinburgh, I'd been a member at Green's but had decided to stop going there due to the price; the fact that I don't need the pool, sauna, steam room, cafe or anything like that; and a number of other small annoyances, for instance the poor free weights area and the fact that they have kettlebells but you aren't allowed to use them.

For my purposes, Pure Gym costs less than half and if anything is better: the free weights are actually a bit better than Green's, although still not as good as I've been used to at Stirling Uni. For ?16 a month, it's spot on.

peter_hmfc

Green tea? Oooh-la-bleeding-la! :D Still, better than drinking raw eggs from a dirty glass like in the movies.

Any idea of what your regime is? Quite a few people seem to be posting theirs.

How long are you planning on staying each time? I've been reading about average times since I posted about my apparently near fatal 4 hours and a few people seem to say that 45mins is the LOWEST you should stay and that the average is about 2 hours.

As for Creepy Lurker, I use the Pure Gym at Ocean Terminal as well, though I get it for ?12 per month because I signed up before it opened.

:yas::verysmug:

Edited by peter_hmfc

Creepy Lurker

Any chance of seeing the context in which people were saying you should stay as long as 2 hours? Not doubting that you've seen this, but it goes against everything I've ever read on the subject...

As far as the price goes, even at ?16 a month I'm quite happy as it was ?40+ for a student membership at Green's! Still not quite as good as ?80 a year for a better gym at uni, but it'll do. :thumbsup:

Isaac Clarke

I've always thought going to the gym for about an hour is the best!

I also used to go to Pure Gym at Lauriston Place but I've started to go to the Napier gym at the new Sighthill campus instead...it's pretty small, there's hardly ever anybody else there but it's got all the equipment you'd need. It's handy for me cause it's walking distance form where I live!

peter_hmfc

Any chance of seeing the context in which people were saying you should stay as long as 2 hours? Not doubting that you've seen this, but it goes against everything I've ever read on the subject...

As far as the price goes, even at ?16 a month I'm quite happy as it was ?40+ for a student membership at Green's! Still not quite as good as ?80 a year for a better gym at uni, but it'll do. :thumbsup:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135195801

There's a few in this thread I was reading earlier. I'm not saying I've seen people that think 2 hours is the definite least you should spend, but there is a few people dotted around in random forum posts elsewhere who say they go for around 2 hours.

The strange thing for me is when I do about 1 hour 15 mins, I'm not tired. I'm not sure if that's good stamina or my muscles are basicaly ignoring any excercise and nothings happeneing.

How long are you planning on staying each time? I've been reading about average times since I posted about my apparently near fatal 4 hours and a few people seem to say that 45mins is the LOWEST you should stay and that the average is about 2 hours.

I don't think 2 hours is the average but anyway... I could get a good workout completed in 30 minutes, there's no 'lowest' time you should spend in the gym, it's all about what you can do when you are there.

Whilst I agree that 4 hours is over-kill there are people in my gym who can spend up to 2 hours working out per session and they have great physiques, but that's just them.

My workouts are usually 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes long.

You will know if you are over-training so if you are going to the gym 4-5 times a week and spending well over an hour in each session then try and shorten the workouts to 45 minutes. It's all about know what YOUR body can do.

Creepy Lurker

http://forum.bodybui...php?t=135195801

There's a few in this thread I was reading earlier. I'm not saying I've seen people that think 2 hours is the definite least you should spend, but there is a few people dotted around in random forum posts elsewhere who say they go for around 2 hours.

The strange thing for me is when I do about 1 hour 15 mins, I'm not tired. I'm not sure if that's good stamina or my muscles are basicaly ignoring any excercise and nothings happeneing.

Fair enough. As Jailabait says everyone's body's different, but in general 45 minutes tends to be the optimal time for a workout.

It's worth pointing out that a lot of the guys who're staying in for longer will be pretty serious bodybuilders, lifting really heavy weights and needing a lot of time to rest between sets as a result. As a beginner, you'll be better off with shorter rests between sets and therefore shouldn't have any problem with fitting your workout into 45-60 minutes. In fact, I'd say that anyone who's spending over an hour and fifteen minutes maximum on weight training when just starting out isn't training hard enough.

...but I know nothing about you, your specific routine or how your body reacts. Ultimately, it's about building a workout that you feel comfortable with and that gets results for you, not setting a wee timer and dropping the weights as soon as it hits 45 minutes.

Been reading this thread for a bit and finally decided to get off my arse and join a gym, went for Edinburgh Leisure because Drumbrae is close to me and is within walking/cycling distance. Decided to get one of the trainers to help me set up a routine to help me lose weight (I'm slightly overweight) and mainly tone up a bit. Thought the summer would be the perfect time to do this because I'm off Uni, the real test will come when I'm back at Uni and work piles up.

Anyway, I'm getting 4 hour long sessions with the trainer and I'm getting shown 4 different workouts (obviously one for each muscle group). Was definitely a brilliant idea getting someone to sort me out with a routine, before I would never have dreamed of attempting squats/dead-lifts because I would never have known how to do them properly.

Need to sort out the diet too, going to take Creepy Lurker's advice and cut it out bit by bit. My problem is I drink too much fizzy juice and snack late at night. Will definitely sign up for that calorie counting site as well.

Green tea? Oooh-la-bleeding-la! :D Still, better than drinking raw eggs from a dirty glass like in the movies.

Any idea of what your regime is? Quite a few people seem to be posting theirs.

As for Creepy Lurker, I use the Pure Gym at Ocean Terminal as well, though I get it for ?12 per month because I signed up before it opened.

:yas::verysmug:

Haha! I'm not sure on what the regime might include yet mate, just going to get a feel for the weight machines and see how much I'm lifting!

I'm thinking I'll go for an hour and a half. 15mins each on the treadmill, bike, cross trainer and the rowing machine. Then half an hour on the weights!

I'm going to hit the gym at 9ish tomorrow and then go shopping for some healthy foods. I've already compiled a list of fruits, porridge, wholemeal bread, baked tatties, nuts, yoghurts, oatcakes etc :lol:

peter_hmfc

Haha! I'm not sure on what the regime might include yet mate, just going to get a feel for the weight machines and see how much I'm lifting!

I'm thinking I'll go for an hour and a half. 15mins each on the treadmill, bike, cross trainer and the rowing machine. Then half an hour on the weights!

I'm going to hit the gym at 9ish tomorrow and then go shopping for some healthy foods. I've already compiled a list of fruits, porridge, wholemeal bread, baked tatties, nuts, yoghurts, oatcakes etc :lol:

To Jailbait and Creepy Lurker:

An hour or so definitely sounds about right, though I'll probably add on the 15mins to cover up for any skiving in between.

To Sconnie:

Oh tally-ho young chap! Have a fine time at the local community gymnasium franchise! :whistling:

Seriously though my planned routine doesn't sound too far off yours, though I can't stand the cross trainer, always feel like I'm about to fall off. Also minus the specific food, (I'm eating a McFlurry right now :huh: ).

15mins or 2000m on the rowing machine.

10-15mins on the treadmill.

"Seated dip" until my arms really ache.

"Abdominator" to rest my arms, also it's about a yeard from the SD.

15mins on the cycling machine.

Seated Dip again.

30mins walking home.

I'll mix it up a bit of course but that's the sort of idea I have right now.

Edited by peter_hmfc

I'm not saying I'll get through all of that as I'm unfit as hell! I was sh@gged after 400m on the rowing machine! :lol:

How often are you going mate?

peter_hmfc

I'm not saying I'll get through all of that as I'm unfit as hell! I was sh@gged after 400m on the rowing machine! :lol:

How often are you going mate?

Think I'm going to go on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, for about 1 hour 15 each time, though it' not definite. :thumbsup:

How about you?

Edited by peter_hmfc