Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Tommy Wiseau

Why hasn't the vrface worked? Too hammered to edit on my phone!!!

:rofl:

Pished Vincent? Shouldn't be texting while driving the bus anyways. :down:

You need to leave a space between the colons and next or preceding letters.

Might just register for the 10k in October, might just register. :interesting:

:rofl:

Pished Vincent? Shouldn't be texting while driving the bus anyways. :down:

You need to leave a space between the colons and next or preceding letters.

Might just register for the 10k in October, might just register. :interesting:

We both know after the beating you are getting at tennis you will be in no condition to run a 10k :verysmug:

Vlad-Stupid

Going out for a run once my iPhone is charged. Nit been our for a month and put half a stone back on :vrface: If I don't puke or die, it will be a miracle, I feel like an 80yo man these days :down:

Interesting to hear that golf is a calorie burner, stole a set of clubs (******* putter's missing) a couple of months ago and am really interested in taking the sport up. Just need to find a friend that plays. Or just a friend :sob:

Going out for a run once my iPhone is charged. Nit been our for a month and put half a stone back on :vrface: If I don't puke or die, it will be a miracle, I feel like an 80yo man these days :down:

Interesting to hear that golf is a calorie burner, stole a set of clubs (******* putter's missing) a couple of months ago and am really interested in taking the sport up. Just need to find a friend that plays. Or just a friend :sob:

I'll see you at the 19th mate :lol:

Golf isn't a calorie burner.Look at Monty.

Just joined Heriot Watt sports centre tonight. Thank to Jjb closing down sale i am now kitted out with 2 new pair of trainers, table tennis bats, squash rackets and balls.

Forever-Alone.png

Edited by Chrambo

Vlad-Stupid

Back on topic, run didnt happen last night, was taking my jeans off to put my shorts on and twisted my knee in the process :facepalm:

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Back on topic, run didnt happen last night, was taking my jeans off to put my shorts on and twisted my knee in the process :facepalm:

:rofl: :rofl:

Almost as bad as Vince injuring himself playing Wii Tennis.

Tommy Wiseau

Really need to find out how much golf burns in cals likes. Played an 18 today (playin' like Jack ****in' Nicklaus byraway) and keyed it into that My Fitness Pal app.

1537 calories it said.

Aye right is what I said.

:rofl: :rofl:

Almost as bad as Vince injuring himself playing Wii Tennis.

Can't believe you.I told you that in confidence :down:

Knob.

Tommy Wiseau

Approx 300 calories an hour according to Calorie Count, Francis.

Cheers Jack.

Sounds a lot more realistic, still a lot though given I was out for 3 and a half hours. :o

Creepy Lurker

Really need to find out how much golf burns in cals likes. Played an 18 today (playin' like Jack ****in' Nicklaus byraway) and keyed it into that My Fitness Pal app.

1537 calories it said.

Aye right is what I said.

I suppose that it'd really depend on the course and how challenging it is to walk around (any calorie burn's coming from the walking that you're doing), but if you were walking fairly briskly around moderately hilly ground for several hours then I suppose that it isn't out of the question, provided that the figure includes the calories that you'd have been burning anyway just by being alive.

Prolonged light exercise isn't a very efficient way of burning fat (as opposed to calories), though, unless you're seriously overweight.

Tommy Wiseau

I suppose that it'd really depend on the course and how challenging it is to walk around (any calorie burn's coming from the walking that you're doing), but if you were walking fairly briskly around moderately hilly ground for several hours then I suppose that it isn't out of the question, provided that the figure includes the calories that you'd have been burning anyway just by being alive.

Prolonged light exercise isn't a very efficient way of burning fat (as opposed to calories), though, unless you're seriously overweight.

Yeah thinking about it, that may explain it, although that fecks the app's maths anyway as it 'calculates' your calorie intake and outgoings based on your weight etc anyway, so that would mean some calories would have been counted twice. It was only Carrick Knowe so, although I was playing at a very brisk pace and carrying my clubs, it's a fairly flat course.

Yeah, not very efficient at all, but I'm of the opinion every little helps when I get into a bit of fitness building etc. Keeps you ticking over and not just relying on the gym or whatever for your activity. I know literally feck all about it in comparison with you though. :lol:

Creepy Lurker

Nah, you're totally right that anything that you do will help. Just keeping active is good for you, physically and mentally. Doing light, enjoyable exercise like golf on your 'rest' days also speeds up muscle recovery between harder training sessions.

Say What Again

Jack that 10k you were talking about is 2nd October.Bupa run http://www.greatrun.org/events/event.aspx?id=3

I'm still ******* about trying to train for this.I've made slight progress last few weeks.I'm running 5k in 33.18.Not world record pace right enough :vrface:

Lost nearly a stone in the process though :thumbsup:

Meant to reply to this.

Firstly, top work from yourself :thumbsup:

I've had a bit of a stop start stop.

Like I said, I was totally unfit and was sent to the gym under docs orders for my blood pressure. My first appointment to get my programme from the instructor was cancelled as I developed a chest pain when breathing after lifting (light) weights to prep myself. The instructor wouldn't go ahead until the doc gave me the all clear. Went to my GP the next day and he was happy it was muscular and not cardio, so rearranged the instructor for last week.

Got my programme then. Really light, just bike, a multitude of light exercises on the machines, 8 in all x 3 circuits, then finish on the X trainer.

Struggled through it on the Tuesday and found it easier already when I did it again Thursday. Since then though I've moved off site at work (the gym was right next door) so haven't been at all this week. I'm back next week and plan to go for it properly (3 times a week) then.

Haven't committed to the 10k yet - but have mentioned it to my mate who's in the same situation and he fancies it too.

I think us both doing it will keep each other motivated.

Will report back - hopefully - in a few weeks time.

I'm getting motivated enough simply by reading the guys on this thread who are not that far ahead of me :thumbsup:

Top thread.

Gerd Muller

I joined the gym on Wednesday, went that day and went today as well. That was hard today. I probably need to write down the weights I should be lifting as every 2nd one felt really heavy when it looks light. Think Im going to see the Gym instructor and get a set plan. Im glad I went because after doing the post today I felt really knackered.

A Question (which has probably been answered on this thread). Since Im starting out on the weights, what is the best advice? starting on a low weight and working up or just fire onto what I think I can lift? Maybe a silly question.

Say What Again
]Think Im going to see the Gym instructor and get a set plan.

I'd highly recommend that. They're the experts after all - and that's what they're there for.

A Question (which has probably been answered on this thread). Since Im starting out on the weights, what is the best advice? starting on a low weight and working up or just fire onto what I think I can lift? Maybe a silly question.

The advice I'd pass on from my instructor (I'm a complete novice) would be don't go too low. If you're doing a circuit of weights 3 times, you should be struggling on the 3rd time round.

Good luck!

Creepy Lurker

Don't lift heavy just for the sake of it. Focus on getting your form right at a weight that you can handle. I'd start out on the low side, making sure that you nail your form. There'll be plenty of time to move the weight up when you're ready, and there's no point in injuring yourself for the sake of feeling macho.

I'm planning on doing the Glasgow to Edinburgh cycle in September, I do a bit of running so my fitness level's not bad, does anyone have any advice on cycling training, should I just increase my milage 5 miles a week or something?

Isaac Clarke

I'm planning on doing the Glasgow to Edinburgh cycle in September, I do a bit of running so my fitness level's not bad, does anyone have any advice on cycling training, should I just increase my milage 5 miles a week or something?

I've done the Glasgow to Edinburgh cycle a couple times, it's fairly straightforward so I wouldn't worry about it. The best cycling training I know of is just get on your bike, do some miles, and try and tackle some hills.

I've done the Glasgow to Edinburgh cycle a couple times, it's fairly straightforward so I wouldn't worry about it. The best cycling training I know of is just get on your bike, do some miles, and try and tackle some hills.

Cheers for that.

Don't lift heavy just for the sake of it. Focus on getting your form right at a weight that you can handle. I'd start out on the low side, making sure that you nail your form. There'll be plenty of time to move the weight up when you're ready, and there's no point in injuring yourself for the sake of feeling macho.

A thousand times this. If you are using free weights it's better to start off low and then build up, smaller weights help with building the stabiliser muscles which in turn helps your technique which in turn helps you progress onto heavier weights. From what I've been told, if you are doing three sets of say 10 reps each, the first set should warm you up, the second set should strain you a bit, and by the 4th or 5th rep on the third set you should be burning and toiling to finish off.

Hi Chaps

first post on the fitness thread....I have been doing a course with the guys on the link below for about 8 weeks [Revolution course - ?200 for 10 weeks], lost a stone and a half and got so much fitter...now signing up for the "Diehard" pass [?40 a month] that they do a monthly basis.

It's been excellent, have a look and see if it suits any of you....i'm now running 5, 7 and 10ks.....bear in mind I got out of breath going up the feckin wheatfield steps not so long ago...!! :turned:

http://www.burnitbootcamp.co.uk/

Good banter too, there is one other Jambo on it that I know off....

Vlad-Stupid

Just weighed in at 11st10, first time I've been under 12st in 10 years :verysmug:

Thats down from around 13st4 a few months ago. Still unfit as feck though and look like I've lost weight anywhere but my stomach :down: think I'll join a gym after Christmas, it's swimming I really want to get back in to but looking how much it would cost to use the local pools 5 times a week, a gym membership will cost about half as much.

Just weighed in at 11st10, first time I've been under 12st in 10 years :verysmug:

Thats down from around 13st4 a few months ago. Still unfit as feck though and look like I've lost weight anywhere but my stomach :down: think I'll join a gym after Christmas, it's swimming I really want to get back in to but looking how much it would cost to use the local pools 5 times a week, a gym membership will cost about half as much.

After Christmas :lol:

Tommy Wiseau

Hi Chaps

first post on the fitness thread....I have been doing a course with the guys on the link below for about 8 weeks [Revolution course - ?200 for 10 weeks], lost a stone and a half and got so much fitter...now signing up for the "Diehard" pass [?40 a month] that they do a monthly basis.

It's been excellent, have a look and see if it suits any of you....i'm now running 5, 7 and 10ks.....bear in mind I got out of breath going up the feckin wheatfield steps not so long ago...!! :turned:

http://www.burnitbootcamp.co.uk/

Good banter too, there is one other Jambo on it that I know off....

Good effort committing to that mate, looks pretty tough likes. :o

My performance in the gym tonight was a shocker. Going to have to up the game considerably over the next few weeks. :vrface:

Good effort committing to that mate, looks pretty tough likes. :o

My performance in the gym tonight was a shocker. Going to have to up the game considerably over the next few weeks. :vrface:

It is...tough but fun as well....the 5 and 7k runs are througn Beecraigs park as well so all terrain, and you stop evry 2k or so and do some circuits...press ups or Lunges etc..

September 4th we are doing a 10k through Beecraigs with obstacles every 1k..looking forward to it

Have to remember I couldnt run the length of myself and would pant like feck heading up to the back of a stand if my seat was up there.. :sweat: ....anyone can do it as well, there are people a lot worse then I on the course

EDIT......I GET A FREE PASS EVERY MONTH IF ANYONE WANTS A FREE TRY OUT...???

Edited by moz

Tommy Wiseau

Sounds class Moz, do you live out West Lothian or travel out for that? Well done on your achievements so far anyway. :thumbsup:

Anyone got any good tips for faster recovery from playing on astro btw? I play on the Corn Exchange 7s pitch every Monday night, but if I do anything on the Tuesday my legs feel like torture, and I've had shin splints in the past from OD'ing on astro football. Means I just end up doing either nothing or very little on the Tuesday, which is no use to me at the moment.

Not going to do an ice bath in reality, but anything else would be :interesting:

scottish_chicP

I just went to my first body combat class...oh my! That's gonna hurt tomorrow! :unsure:

Creepy Lurker

Sounds class Moz, do you live out West Lothian or travel out for that? Well done on your achievements so far anyway. :thumbsup:

Anyone got any good tips for faster recovery from playing on astro btw? I play on the Corn Exchange 7s pitch every Monday night, but if I do anything on the Tuesday my legs feel like torture, and I've had shin splints in the past from OD'ing on astro football. Means I just end up doing either nothing or very little on the Tuesday, which is no use to me at the moment.

Not going to do an ice bath in reality, but anything else would be :interesting:

You might want to look into buying a foam roller: it allows you to massage problem areas, which can really help with muscle soreness. Other than that, a high protein, high carbohydrate (preferrably slow release carbs unless you're training more than once a day) snack as soon after you've finished exercising and getting enough sleep are the best ways to speed up recovery. There's also obviously warming down: you might feel like a daftie doing it after fives, but it's as important as anything in ensuring a quick recovery.

Yip....but they do run sessions in the Meadows on a Monday and Inverleith on a Thursday....I do the Linlithgow - Bathgate - Livingston ones on the other nights.....and Beecraigs at the weekend...

Have a look at the website or Facebook..as I say, I get a free pass every month if someone fancies trying it out...

Vlad-Stupid

After Christmas :lol:

I realise that sounds lazy as **** but in truth I have so much going on each month till January, I ken won't have the wonga :lol:

Jack that 10k you were talking about is 2nd October.Bupa run http://www.greatrun.org/events/event.aspx?id=3

I'm still ******* about trying to train for this.I've made slight progress last few weeks.I'm running 5k in 33.18.Not world record pace right enough :vrface:

Lost nearly a stone in the process though :thumbsup:

Need some advice!

I weighed myself on Sunday and since I lost this stone I have put on 9 pounds weighed myself the past few days and gaining about a pound each day :blink:

I'm running between 5-7k 5 times a week and also walk the dog 3k everyday.I also feel fitter and clothes fitting much better etc I'm eating between 1800-2000 but burning 500+ calories a day (I think).Got to say it's getting me a bit down.

Any advice?

I expect the usual suspects ripping the pish but I'll ignore them :thumbsup:

Edited by Vincent Kennedy McMahon

Tommy Wiseau

Muscle weighs more than fat. Imagine your lower body muscles will be developing causing the weight gain Vinny Mac.

That or it's the doughnuts. :smuggy:

I don't worry about weight really. What's important is what you say in your third paragraph - looking better, feeling better, clothes fitting better. They're a much better judge of how you are doing than a scale imo.

Muscle weighs more than fat. Imagine your lower body muscles will be developing causing the weight gain Vinny Mac.

That or it's the doughnuts. :smuggy:

I don't worry about weight really. What's important is what you say in your third paragraph - looking better, feeling better, clothes fitting better. They're a much better judge of how you are doing than a scale imo.

Cheers for the sensible reply :lol:

Not the doughnuts I've been watching what I'm doing.Even cut back on the drink.Although I'm going to get smashed tonight!!!

It was just a bit of a shock that the weight shot up like that :(

Cheers for the sensible reply :lol:

Not the doughnuts I've been watching what I'm doing.Even cut back on the drink.Although I'm going to get smashed tonight!!!

It was just a bit of a shock that the weight shot up like that :(

Have you been weighing yourself at the same time each day? Your weight varies throughout the day. Don't know the reason/science behind it though.

Creepy Lurker

Need some advice!

I weighed myself on Sunday and since I lost this stone I have put on 9 pounds weighed myself the past few days and gaining about a pound each day :blink:

I'm running between 5-7k 5 times a week and also walk the dog 3k everyday.I also feel fitter and clothes fitting much better etc I'm eating between 1800-2000 but burning 500+ calories a day (I think).Got to say it's getting me a bit down.

Any advice?

I expect the usual suspects ripping the pish but I'll ignore them :thumbsup:

If you're burning more calories than you're taking in (which you should be, judging by your post), you should be losing weight. That muscle weighs more than fat is irrelevant: it's physically impossible to put on weight if you're burning more than you're taking in. You can increase lean mass, but the amount of fat burnt will still result in weight loss.

As another poster's said, the time of day at which you weigh yourself makes a massive difference, and water retention could also be an issue. You'd have to be eating a huge amount to be gaining a pound every day, so I'd say that it's more likely to be one of the above than fat gain. If you're looking and feeling better, then that's really more important.

To be honest, it isn't really worth weighing yourself every day. Try weighing yourself once a week, and doing so at the exact same time and wearing the exact same amount of clothing on each occasion. I always weigh myself first thing on a Wednesday morning.

If you're burning more calories than you're taking in (which you should be, judging by your post), you should be losing weight. That muscle weighs more than fat is irrelevant: it's physically impossible to put on weight if you're burning more than you're taking in. You can increase lean mass, but the amount of fat burnt will still result in weight loss.

As another poster's said, the time of day at which you weigh yourself makes a massive difference, and water retention could also be an issue. You'd have to be eating a huge amount to be gaining a pound every day, so I'd say that it's more likely to be one of the above than fat gain. If you're looking and feeling better, then that's really more important.

To be honest, it isn't really worth weighing yourself every day. Try weighing yourself once a week, and doing so at the exact same time and wearing the exact same amount of clothing on each occasion. I always weigh myself first thing on a Wednesday morning.

I weighed myself at the same time last week and put on the weight.

Strange anyway and a bit depressing :(

Edit::: Surely by running on average 6k and walking the dog 3k on average 6 times a week I can't be burning 1800 calories a day?

Edited by Vincent Kennedy McMahon

Creepy Lurker

I weighed myself at the same time last week and put on the weight.

Strange anyway and a bit depressing :(

Edit::: Surely by running on average 6k and walking the dog 3k on average 6 times a week I can't be burning 1800 calories a day?

You'll be burning significantly more than 1,800 calories a day; just staying alive burns a significant amount of calories.

A good guideline for how many calories you'll be burning daily is the Harris Benedict equation, which you'll be able to find calculators for using Google. If you take that to find out how many calories you're burning, then take on 15-20% less than that (any more and you're likely to burn lean mass as well as fat), you'll lose weight. In practice, though, just about any active adult male is likely to lose weight on 2,000 kcal.

Scales can be a bit weird with these things, though: sometimes you can be totally rigid with nutrition and exercise for a week and still show an increase. If you're eating a lot of salty food then that might have an effect, as salt increases water retention, but ultimately if you're looking or feeling better then that's still more important.

Otherwise, all that I can think of is that you mentioned having 'cut back' on alcohol. A lot of people don't realise just how calorie dense alcohol is: there are 7 calories per millilitre of pure alcohol, making it the second most calorific dietary element after fat and almost twice as calorific as protein or carbs. On top of that, it's a toxin, which means that your body will shut down other vital processes (such as fat burn and muscle repair) to deal with flushing it out of your system. Even if you have cut down, you'll still probably see increases if you're weighing yourself within the couple of days following a particularly heavy session.

Edit: this is why I now weigh myself on Wednesdays. :lol: I used to do it first thing on Saturday mornings, but the figures given were totally unreliable due to the extent to which they'd change depending on whether or not I'd had a drink on the Friday night.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Cheers for the reply.

I've not had a heavy session for a few weeks.Had a beer here or there but nowhere near the usual.

Could the fact I'm eating say 10am then nothing until 6-7pm have anything to do with it?

Creepy Lurker

Hmm.

That's certainly not ideal, as the best way to keep your metabolism firing is to eat smaller, more regular meals as opposed to less bigger ones. It's really best to aim for six meals (which really means three plus three healthy snacks) a day, eating every 2-4 hours. A gap as long as that would certainly slow down the metabolism, which in turn would lead to you burning fewer calories and could have an impact on weight loss. I'd still certainly not expect you to be gaining weight, though, and certainly not to that extent.

As I said, weighing yourself can sometimes throw up results which are just weird. I wouldn't be too dispirited by it, certainly not in the short term.

Hmm.

That's certainly not ideal, as the best way to keep your metabolism firing is to eat smaller, more regular meals as opposed to less bigger ones. It's really best to aim for six meals (which really means three plus three healthy snacks) a day, eating every 2-4 hours. A gap as long as that would certainly slow down the metabolism, which in turn would lead to you burning fewer calories and could have an impact on weight loss. I'd still certainly not expect you to be gaining weight, though, and certainly not to that extent.

As I said, weighing yourself can sometimes throw up results which are just weird. I wouldn't be too dispirited by it, certainly not in the short term.

I'll take that on board mate :thumbsup:

On a more positive note the running is improving all the time.Quite enjoying it as well :thumbsup: