Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

2,800 calories is quite a lot, but to gain weight you need to be taking on more calories than you're burning. You do need to eat a lot if you want to build muscle, but the calories need to be coming from good sources.

In practice, 2,800 calories a day isn't as difficult as it sounds if you eat nutritious, calorie dense foods like nuts, seed and avocado. Or if you're eating a salad, making your own dressing with olive oil will help. Each millilitre of any kind of oil contains 9 calories, so 1 tbsp = 135 calories straight away. That's not to say that you should be getting all of your calories from olive oil - if you're working out regularly, you only want a maximum of 20-25% of your calories to be coming from fat - but it does show how taking on a lot of calories doesn't need to be as difficult as it sounds.

I've done a bit of Googling and one specific "cheat food" for gaining weight that seems to stick out is raisins, surprisingly. I read somewhere that a 6ounce apple is about 100 calories, while the same weight in raisins is about 500, so I'll need to buy a truckload of them some time.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=174

As you said, nuts, seeds and other dry foods seem to be recommended by pretty much every healthy weight gain site I've found. :thumbsup: I'll also need to get some porridge and oats. Olives and peanuts seem to be pretty good for weight gain as well, which is good because I love them both!

I was looking at protein shakes as suggested earlier but the prices are waaay more than I could afford.

Edited by peter_hmfc

Creepy Lurker

I've done a bit of Googling and one specific "cheat food" for gaining weight that seems to stick out is raisins, surprisingly. I read somewhere that a 6ounce apple is about 100 calories, while the same weight in raisins is about 500, so I'll need to buy a truckload of them some time.

http://whfoods.org/g...ilytip&dbid=174

As you said, nuts, seeds and other dry foods seem to be recommended by pretty much every healthy weight gain site I've found. :thumbsup: I'll also need to get some porridge and oats. Olives and peanuts seem to be pretty good for weight gain as well, which is good because I love them both!

I was looking at protein shakes as suggested earlier but the prices are waaay more than I could afford.

Sounds like you're taking exactly the right attitude in reading up on everything and making your choices accordingly. :thumbsup:

As far as protein shakes go, if you're quite light anyway then you shouldn't have too many problems in meeting your daily protein requirements without them. Lean protein sources, calorie dense foods and good sources of carbs are definitely the way to go.

Just finished a mammoth session in the gym!

I'm currently in Afghan and, being a skinny wee runt and having never done some serious training before, decided to give op massive a try! There's a lot of guys here that really know what they are talking about and one of the PTI's runs circuit sessions every day. Just to put my progress so far into perspective, I'm 5'6" and weigh 60 Kg and I started doing these sessions about 5-6 weeks ago. I have progressed from a normal curling bar and 4.5 Kg on each side to a curling bar with 9Kg on each side. I still vary my weight depending on what type of circuit we do. I have found that it's always best to work in pairs as it's easier to gauge your rest time inbetween exercises.

Anyway. This was todays circuit... (ouch!)

Weight: Curling bar + 9 KG's on each side

(1) Upright Row - Evens

Bent over row - Odds

(2) Press Ups - 15,14,13,12,11,10

(3) Reverse Curl - Evens

Mill Press - Odds

(4) Press Ups - 15,14,13,12,11,10

(5) Arm Curl - Evens

Tri Extentions - Odds

(6) Press Ups - 20,15,10

Working with a partner, one will start on the top exercise working from 20 down to 10 in evens (20,18,16 etc.) Your partner does the second exercise working from 11 up to 19 in odds (11,13,15 etc.) While one works the other rests. When complete, swap over so that who started on evens goes to odds.

As for press ups take it in turns to do the required amount. This can sometimes be the hardest part of the circuit and can leave you totally hanging!

Took us about 45-50 minutes to complete this afternoon and I was shattered to say the least! It's very high intensity and can double as cardio sometimes if you work hard enough!

Happy training everyone.

Weemarky

Slightly off topic, but the BBC are looking for extras next Tuesday at Inverleith Park

"We need a group of people to run along with one of our main artists who has entered a race claiming to be running for charity. He is meant to be unfit and we need extras to run past him. Could you please let me know the earliest you would be available on the 28th of June and send me your contact details [email protected]."

johndawgylt

This question has been asked hundreds of times, but to the experts on here - what is the best way to tone up the stomach and get rid of excess fat?

Creepy Lurker

Compound lifts, high intensity cardio and a good diet. You can't 't 'target' specific areas for fat burn.

What are decent prices for Whey Protein? I don't want to be spending over the odds.

I have been training seriously for a couple of years but never got into the whole protein thing. But recently started getting shakes from the cafe at the gym. But feel it will work out a lot cheaper to buy bulk.

Ray Winstone

It has been slow going since coming back from Christmas at home but just 9 pounds to lose and that will take my total weight loss to 5 stone since the start of November.

Once I hit that I will be going for another stone by the end of summer.

What are decent prices for Whey Protein? I don't want to be spending over the odds.

I have been training seriously for a couple of years but never got into the whole protein thing. But recently started getting shakes from the cafe at the gym. But feel it will work out a lot cheaper to buy bulk.

Are you just looking for regular whey?

Holland and Barrett are doing decent deals on it at the moment. If your looking for something else, mass gainer etc. Check out edinburghsupplements, good prices and same day delivery (free). Give me a shout if your going to order anything from there.

Are you just looking for regular whey?

Holland and Barrett are doing decent deals on it at the moment. If your looking for something else, mass gainer etc. Check out edinburghsupplements, good prices and same day delivery (free). Give me a shout if your going to order anything from there.

Will probably give them a bash. Have you used them before?

Will probably give them a bash. Have you used them before?

Yep used them a few times, the guy delivers to your house between 6-8 that night (you can pick the time to the half hour) and he's sound, gave me his mob numbe and said if I ever need anything just to give him a shout. If you defo decide to order give me a PM before and I'll give you my name, if you tell him I recommended you he'll hopefully give me a wee 10% off my next order haha!

Yep used them a few times, the guy delivers to your house between 6-8 that night (you can pick the time to the half hour) and he's sound, gave me his mob numbe and said if I ever need anything just to give him a shout. If you defo decide to order give me a PM before and I'll give you my name, if you tell him I recommended you he'll hopefully give me a wee 10% off my next order haha!

I will be ordering mate but will have to wait til pay day (thurs). I'll pm you before then though get details. Magic thanks.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Creepy, will having 30-40 grams less protein per day slow me up? I think I'm on something between 90-100 per day but for weight loss everywhere is saying, for my weight, I should be on at least 130 or so. But I'm finding it a bit hard to fit it all in. I could take another protein shake per day but I'm already having a shake in the morning with 2 scoops, so another shake would be 4 and I've read that's overkill.

Would having about 25% less than I'm meant to really affect things or am I fine? A compromise I've thought up is to cycle the extra protein every other day - so when I'm doing weights instead of cardio I'll take the extra shake, but on cardio days I'll hang around the 90-100 mark.

So aye, will this make huge differences?

p.s eating healthily is blowing my mind - never had so much energy.

Edited by Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Creepy Lurker

Creepy, will having 30-40 grams less protein per day slow me up? I think I'm on something between 90-100 per day but for weight loss everywhere is saying, for my weight, I should be on at least 130 or so. But I'm finding it a bit hard to fit it all in. I could take another protein shake per day but I'm already having a shake in the morning with 2 scoops, so another shake would be 4 and I've read that's overkill.

Would having about 25% less than I'm meant to really affect things or am I fine? A compromise I've thought up is to cycle the extra protein every other day - so when I'm doing weights instead of cardio I'll take the extra shake, but on cardio days I'll hang around the 90-100 mark.

So aye, will this make huge differences?

p.s eating healthily is blowing my mind - never had so much energy.

Taking on less protein won't slow you up as such, and might even make you perform better: if you're making up the difference with carbs, you'll have more fuel for your workout. Having said that, if weight loss is your aim then you'll benefit more from going a bit higher on protein and lower on carbs (although you shouldn't go 'low carb' as such: too few carbs will stop you from performing as you should and recovering as quickly as you should). Being low on protein will also slow muscle repair/recovery/growth (if that's your aim).

An extra shake to make up the deficit would be fine, but if you're already having 2 scoops a day then I'd definitely recommend getting the rest of your protein from natural sources. The best sources for weight loss are lean meat and fish, but you can also get significant amounts from dairy, pulses, seeds, nuts, etc.

In practice, 130g shouldn't be that difficult to hit if you're including a protein source in every meal: without typing out a whole daily meal plan with exact quantities like I did earlier in the thread, I'll be getting just over 130 tomorrow by eating:

Muesli with milk

Greek yoghurt with a banana and honey

Homemade watercress and chorizo soup with 2 rice cakes

Eat Natural bar, shake (only using 1 scoop) and a clementine

Wholegrain pasta with 1/2 tin of salmon, vegetables and balsamic vinegar

Cottage cheese with raw vegetables (carrots and celery: I'm not scranning raw cauliflower or anything weird like that)

I make that 131.8g protein, only using one shake and not having any one really big protein source other than the shake. If you're eating chicken or a fish fillet with a meal, you can often hit around 130 without needing any supplementation.

Is it a cost issue that's stopping you from buying more protein sources? They do tend to be quite pricey, but things like cottage cheese and tinned fish (not so much the traditional one of tuna, but stuff like sardines and mackerel) are a bit cheaper. Pulses are also generally pretty cheap, although you have to be aware of protein complementation (they're rarely 'complete' protein sources and have to be eaten along with something like a grain to supply the limiting amino acid: don't worry if this looks intimidating, in practice most people already do this anyway) and the fact that they also contain carbs.

I didn't really want to say but since you asked my Mum's a total hippy and hates meat in the house. The bizarre thing is she doesn't live here but she's up every weekend and she'd either magically guess, or see a stray wrapper/tin in the fridge or bin due to my sloppiness. The amount of grief I'd get doesn't make it worth risking. She doesn't even care when we go out for family meals (which is rarer) and I'd order a steak or something but she just won't have it in the house.

It's honestly easier for me to just avoid bringing it in the house but I don't want to act like I've got a meat addiction every day and running to Tesco, buying chicken breasts, devouring them then running home without any evidence, feeling like I've just fed my addiction.

:vrface: at the whole situation tbh. It's ridiculous.

My diet yesterday was:

2 Scrambled eggs, 2 slices wholemeal toast (the small loaf), apple and a multivit.

2 scoops whey, almonds, a carrot.

Natural yoghurt, banana.

Spinach and chickpea salad with spices for taste, half a wholemeal pita bread

Overall, not too bad but I only ate 4 times and I should definitely be aiming for 1 more meal. I'm also short on protein like I mentioned, and I would have traditionally added another whey shake with a banana or something to make up the deficit. I also think I'm slightly short on carbs as well. I think I'm only on about 70g from the above with about 90g protein and 20g fat. I like your cottage cheese idea, so thanks for that, I'll definitely look into it. I suppose I'm going to have to make it up from quorn etc? Any other veggie shouts?

Thanks for the help btw. thumbsup.gif

I didn't really want to say but since you asked my Mum's a total hippy and hates meat in the house. The bizarre thing is she doesn't live here but she's up every weekend and she'd either magically guess, or see a stray wrapper/tin in the fridge or bin due to my sloppiness. The amount of grief I'd get doesn't make it worth risking. She doesn't even care when we go out for family meals (which is rarer) and I'd order a steak or something but she just won't have it in the house.

It's honestly easier for me to just avoid bringing it in the house but I don't want to act like I've got a meat addiction every day and running to Tesco, buying chicken breasts, devouring them then running home without any evidence, feeling like I've just fed my addiction.

:stare:

Creepy Lurker

My diet yesterday was:

2 Scrambled eggs, 2 slices wholemeal toast (the small loaf), apple and a multivit.

2 scoops whey, almonds, a carrot.

Natural yoghurt, banana.

Spinach and chickpea salad with spices for taste, half a wholemeal pita bread

Overall, not too bad but I only ate 4 times and I should definitely be aiming for 1 more meal. I'm also short on protein like I mentioned, and I would have traditionally added another whey shake with a banana or something to make up the deficit. I also think I'm slightly short on carbs as well. I think I'm only on about 70g from the above with about 90g protein and 20g fat. I like your cottage cheese idea, so thanks for that, I'll definitely look into it. I suppose I'm going to have to make it up from quorn etc? Any other veggie shouts?

Thanks for the help btw. thumbsup.gif

Firstly, I'd say that you need to be eating more in general. If you're taking on more than 20% calories less than you're burning, any weight loss will be sub-optimal (ie, you'll be burning a lot of lean tissue as well as fat). If you take in around 15% less than you're burning, you'll lose weight a lot more slowly, but a far higher proportion of what you're losing will be fat and your physical appearance'll look a lot better. Otherwise, you'll end up 'skinnyfat': you might not weigh much, but you'll still not have any definition. Although this is at the extreme end of the scale, that's why severely malnourished people will often still have pot bellies. If the macro levels that you've given there are about right, you'll only be taking on about 800 calories, which isn't close to enough.

I'd also advise significantly more carbs. For optimum performance, you need to be taking on somewhere between 5-10g carbs per kg bodyweight if you're training regularly; if you're trying to lose weight, I'd go a bit below that but even when I'm trying to lose I'll still aim for 275g a day (I generally weigh somewhere between 60-65kg).

I think that the protein craze definitely has a lot to answer for; people think that all that they need to do fitness-wise is eat the right amount of protein, but in terms of performance carbs are just as important and arguably more.

Anyway, I've gone off on a bit of a tangent here. Sorry to hear about your (slightly odd) problem. :lol:

A really good vegetarian protein source is soya mince: it's over 50% protein (50g rehydrated provides something like 25.6g protein, I think), and although it doesn't really have any taste is really good in chilli (a good meal as you're getting extra protein and high quality carbs from the beans) or bolognese, although you need extra seasoning/herbs and spices to make up for the lack of taste in comparison with good quality beef mince. A 375g bag costs about ?1.50 in Tesco and will do you for about seven meals. I wouldn't use it every day, though, as in excessive quantities soya products can apparently increase oestrogen levels. :lol: Tofu's also pretty good, although again it doesn't taste like anything and needs marinated for some time before you do anything with it if you don't want to feel like you're eating polystyrene. I also really like quinoa: it's fairly high in protein as far as grains go, although some are higher, but what really makes it different to the rest is that it's a complete protein source, which gives it a much higher biological value.

Not sure of how you are for funds, but if you're prepared to spend a bit extra on a good quality alternative protein source you could look into getting spirulina powder from a healthfood shop. It's not cheap, but is a good protein source and also provides all kinds of other health benefits. Good mixed into a fruit smoothie.

Nice one, thanks for all the info. I'll go shopping tonight and pick up some items from Tesco. Quinoa, soya mince, cottage cheese are all on the list. I'll have a look for other 'healthy' options and see what I find. I'd never heard of Spirulina until now but it looks good - I'm skint because I haven't been to work due to injury but I'm going back next week so I'll stick that on the list.

I'm also going to do more reading on how much to eat etc since I've obviously got it quite wrong. I'll post tonight with a revised plan and let you run the rule/error spot if you're about and not sick of pointing out obvious things for me.

Cheers for the help.

E - this may sound retarded but what do I do with the quinoa? sweat.gif From what I can tell they're basically just oats so you cook them then eat with milk, right? laugh.gif

Creepy Lurker

Nice one, thanks for all the info. I'll go shopping tonight and pick up some items from Tesco. Quinoa, soya mince, cottage cheese are all on the list. I'll have a look for other 'healthy' options and see what I find. I'd never heard of Spirulina until now but it looks good - I'm skint because I haven't been to work due to injury but I'm going back next week so I'll stick that on the list.

I'm also going to do more reading on how much to eat etc since I've obviously got it quite wrong. I'll post tonight with a revised plan and let you run the rule/error spot if you're about and not sick of pointing out obvious things for me.

Cheers for the help.

E - this may sound retarded but what do I do with the quinoa? sweat.gif From what I can tell they're basically just oats so you cook them then eat with milk, right? laugh.gif

No problem mate, let me know how you get on and I'll see how it looks!

As for quinoa, it's basically just cooked in the same way as rice: bring one part quinoa to 2 parts water to the boil, bring it back down to a simmer, cover it and leave until all the water's absorbed (which should take around 10 minutes). You could cook it and eat it with milk, but it's more commonly used in the same way as rice or couscous.

Say What Again

My first venture into this thread, and I have to say, it's absolutley baffling to me. I would be as well reading Double Dutch.

The reason I popped in, is I'm meeting with the personal trainer on Thursday to get a light programme sorted out. No strict eating and shakes for me yet, it's purely for health benefits.

I'm not even particularly fat (6ft and 14st 7lb), but after over 15 years of no exercise and pushing my body to the limit with alcohol, cigarettes, and various other substances, it's time to do something about it as I'd become a walking poster child for hypertension (182/116).

The alarm bells started ringing when I had a pretty serious operation postponed (on the morning of the op) because the surgeon wasn't comfortable proceeding with the risks the BP would bring. I was told by the same Prof at the Western General, that serious lifestyle changes were needed or I'd be potentially heading for a heart attack or stroke.

Brisk walking for a few months reduced my BP enough for the op to go ahead, but now all of that's behind me, my lifestyle is slipping back to what it was, and the BP is rising again.

I tried swimming but lapsed too often. I seem to lack the discipline to continue when I'm on my own, so this time I've opted for the gym and a programme to follow. Hopefully this scripted regime will motivate me enough for it to become a regular thing, and the fact my progress will be being monitored will kick my arse!

My first venture into this thread, and I have to say, it's absolutley baffling to me. I would be as well reading Double Dutch.

The reason I popped in, is I'm meeting with the personal trainer on Thursday to get a light programme sorted out. No strict eating and shakes for me yet, it's purely for health benefits.

I'm not even particularly fat (6ft and 14st 7lb), but after over 15 years of no exercise and pushing my body to the limit with alcohol, cigarettes, and various other substances, it's time to do something about it as I'd become a walking poster child for hypertension (182/116).

The alarm bells started ringing when I had a pretty serious operation postponed (on the morning of the op) because the surgeon wasn't comfortable proceeding with the risks the BP would bring. I was told by the same Prof at the Western General, that serious lifestyle changes were needed or I'd be potentially heading for a heart attack or stroke.

Brisk walking for a few months reduced my BP enough for the op to go ahead, but now all of that's behind me, my lifestyle is slipping back to what it was, and the BP is rising again.

I tried swimming but lapsed too often. I seem to lack the discipline to continue when I'm on my own, so this time I've opted for the gym and a programme to follow. Hopefully this scripted regime will motivate me enough for it to become a regular thing, and the fact my progress will be being monitored will kick my arse!

Good luck mate, there can't be any bigger motivation than your own health!

It doesn't have to be as complicated as some posts on here make it. As long as you eat better and try and exercise 45 minutes, 4/5 times a week you'll feel the benefits.

Just chuck all the junk food, eat more vegetables and natural foods and cut down on the bevvy a bit (the hardest part for everyone) and you should be OK.

For a start you could do something like set yourself a target to run 10k in under an hour. Having targets always helps you drag yer arse to the gym! Dunno where you live but running along a waterfront or in a park on a scorching day like today is very enjoyable.

Say What Again

Good luck mate, there can't be any bigger motivation than your own health!

It doesn't have to be as complicated as some posts on here make it. As long as you eat better and try and exercise 45 minutes, 4/5 times a week you'll feel the benefits.

Just chuck all the junk food, eat more vegetables and natural foods and cut down on the bevvy a bit (the hardest part for everyone) and you should be OK.

For a start you could do something like set yourself a target to run 10k in under an hour. Having targets always helps you drag yer arse to the gym! Dunno where you live but running along a waterfront or in a park on a scorching day like today is very enjoyable.

Cheers, Andy. :thumbsup:

I actually eat pretty well as the missus and I work shifts, so most of the time I'm fending for myself. Tend to live on homemade soups, pastas, salads, rice etc. Have the odd takeaway on the weekend but nothing too concerning. Fruit, I've had to make a conscious effort to eat as I've never been big on it. I've settled on a loaded fruit smoothie in the morning with maybe an apple or pear at some point during the day.

The bevvy I've cut down significantly - and to be honest, that was the biggest issue. Only about a year ago I was 7 days a week, averaging 40 pints each week - easy. I still go out at weekends, but have knocked the midweek drinking on the head (unless there's a particular reason). The plan is that going to gym will just make the will to stay out the boozer stronger.

That, in turn, will automatically reduce the tabs as I only smoke when I'm drinking. I've been struggling so far not to smoke at the weekends but going to keep at it.

Funny you should mention doing a 10k. During my 30 second chat with the trainer, he mentioned there's a 10k coming up in September. It may be something for me to aim for. No doubt I could/should be ready to do it sooner than September, but it would at least give me a goal and keep me going.

I'm spoiled for choice with the suggestions of waterfronts/parks. I'm 10 min walk from Porty promenade and 15 mins from Holyrood Park. Now we just need more days like today!

Edited by Jack of Hearts

If Creepy's kicking about:

Bought quorn mince, skimmed milk (gonna keep this to a minimum though), unsweetened wholegrain cereal, non-fat cottage cheese, some healthy soup options and an assortment of vegetables (broccoli, carrots etc) and some peppers, which are fruits as I found out yesterday. Also bought some Tofu but it looks ******* rank tbh laugh.gif

So my general diet tomorrow will look like this:

Bowl of cereal, skimmed milk + 2 scoops whey shake. Multivit.

2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices wholemeal toast.

Small Jacket Potato, cottage cheese, mix veg salad

1oz almonds, yoghurt, banana.

Soup, apple.

Quorn mince for dinner with mixed veg.

I've not done the macro breakdown and cal count yet btw - only just back and, pathetically, I was quite excited to tell you about my shopping. laugh.gif I'll get to it later tonight though.

Also got room to mix it about with spinach, a vague sort of stir fry with the mince, maybe an omelette and different types of soup, fruit and that to keep it all fresh and varied so I don't get too bored of it all.

Thoughts?

Creepy Lurker

It doesn't have to be as complicated as some posts on here make it.

...I should point out in response to this that my advice is geared towards optimal performance. I wouldn't expect anyone just starting out to dive right into calculating their macros etc., and would actually always advise starting out with small steps. When I first started making changes to my diet, I only made one small change a week; it took me a good six months or so to even start properly looking at macros.

If people do eventually move on to working out macros - be it manually or using a program that'll do it for them - they'll get better results (performance and appearance wise) than they will if they don't. That doesn't mean that it's absolutely crucial, though, and I certainly wouldn't want to put anyone off of getting fitter.

If Creepy's kicking about:

Bought quorn mince, skimmed milk (gonna keep this to a minimum though), unsweetened wholegrain cereal, non-fat cottage cheese, some healthy soup options and an assortment of vegetables (broccoli, carrots etc) and some peppers, which are fruits as I found out yesterday. Also bought some Tofu but it looks ******* rank tbh :lol:

So my general diet tomorrow will look like this:

Bowl of cereal, skimmed milk + 2 scoops whey shake. Multivit.

2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices wholemeal toast.

Small Jacket Potato, cottage cheese, mix veg salad

1oz almonds, yoghurt, banana.

Soup, apple.

Quorn mince for dinner with mixed veg.

I've not done the macro breakdown and cal count yet btw - only just back and, pathetically, I was quite excited to tell you about my shopping. :lol: I'll get to it later tonight though.

Also got room to mix it about with spinach, a vague sort of stir fry with the mince, maybe an omelette and different types of soup, fruit and that to keep it all fresh and varied so I don't get too bored of it all.

Thoughts?

Peppers are fruits?! You learn new things every day. So are almonds, apparently. And avocado. :lol:

That looks a bit better, but I'd still recommend taking on more carbs for performance reasons. It's hard to say without knowing the quantities of each thing you're eating, but the only major carb sources there are the cereal, jacket potato and toast (although there are obviously also some in the milk and yoghurt). You can afford significantly more carbs than that as long as they're coming from good sources like brown rice and pasta, oats, quinoa, couscous etc. That's not to say that you should be loading up on pasta filled baguettes or anything, but even on a weight loss diet around 50-60% of your daily caloric intake should be coming from carbs.

Definitely moving in the right direction, though. :thumbsup:

I'll macro it all up tomorrow and work out how much more I could fit in.

Making my own workout plan now, just needing afew different excercises for certian muscles

Need 5 of each of these

Biceps

Shoulders

Traps

Back

Abs

Cheers in advance!

Making my own workout plan now, just needing afew different excercises for certian muscles

Need 5 of each of these

Biceps

Shoulders

Traps

Back

Abs

Cheers in advance!

Shoulders I'd go for the plain and simple shrugs, most effective.

Abs- Go for crunches on a declined bench, maybe add a weight to your chest to make it harder. Also reverse crunches (bring the knee's up and back straight) and bring one knee up to the opposite elbow (not sure of the proper name for this one!). Also add a bit of stretching.

Need 5 of each of these

Biceps

Shoulders

Traps

Back

Abs

Cheers in advance!

Biceps - Barbell Curls, Chinups, Hammer Curl

Shoulders - Seated Shoulder Press, Lateral Raises.

Traps - Shrugs, Deadlifts

Back - Bent Over Rows, Seated Rows, Wide-Grip Pullups, Deadlifts

Abs - Hanging Legs Raises, Weighted Decline Crunches, Crunch Machine

A lot of people seem to think the key to adding mass on the abs is by doing 100's of sit ups each night.

Work abs like any other muscle to add mass. Do weighted ab exercises, I go for 6-12 reps. There's no strict limit but I tend to stick with 6-12 rep range for abs. Combine this with a low BF% and the abs will show better.

Remember getting a low body fat is only half the battle, you still need to add mass to the abs as well.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Me and my lass had our first baby six weeks ago and this is my first week at the gym. Totally fecked and my belly's sagging again.

Still, I've got a smashing wee daughter so what's a spare tyre?

Me and my lass had our first baby six weeks ago and this is my first week at the gym. Totally fecked and my belly's sagging again.

Still, I've got a smashing wee daughter so what's a spare tyre?

congrats mate :thumbsup: it`s near impossible to lose weight and keep it off in my experience I`m 6 feet1 15st lost 2 stone in 4 months put more on when stopping the diet :blink:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

congrats mate :thumbsup: it`s near impossible to lose weight and keep it off in my experience I`m 6 feet1 15st lost 2 stone in 4 months put more on when stopping the diet :blink:

Cheers boss, my weight balloons when I'm not at the gym and on a decent diet. Gone from just under 11 stone to almost 12 and a half in six weeks. That's pretty appalling to be fair

Holidays done and dusted, it's time for some mass gain!

4 pints of blue milk a day :thumbsup:

I'll macro it all up tomorrow and work out how much more I could fit in.

I make the above diet as follows:

120g protein, 170g carbs, 42g fat from a total of 1380 kcal. I'm not eating enough ffs. I'm one large-ish meal away from nailing it. Or even just supplementing the meals I'm having already.

Problem solved - revamped to 6 full meals. Added a spinach and chickpea salad plus a glass of milk. Tips me up to 1800kcal.

Cheers AG.

[135g, 195g and 48g from 1800kcal]

Tommy Wiseau

Good work Vince. :thumbsup:

I've realised recently that I've put on a stone and a half since I started my post grad in 2009 and then work last year. :vrface: Disgrace tbh, but will be getting right in about the exercise over the summer to sort it out. I get bored with the gym after a few weeks at it, so need to be mixing it up with some tennis, running and golf.

Also will be good to get in some decent habits for when I go back as not making time for exercise is what has killed me in the last couple of years. Helps the old concentration and means you get more done as well. :thumbsup:

The People's Chimp

Good work Vince. :thumbsup:

I've realised recently that I've put on a stone and a half since I started my post grad in 2009 and then work last year. :vrface: Disgrace tbh, but will be getting right in about the exercise over the summer to sort it out. I get bored with the gym after a few weeks at it, so need to be mixing it up with some tennis, running and golf.

Also will be good to get in some decent habits for when I go back as not making time for exercise is what has killed me in the last couple of years. Helps the old concentration and means you get more done as well. :thumbsup:

You should consider getting yourself on a bike as well. I sorted one out after a long running project and I've been out and about on it all the time, and it's perfect for the summer.

In other news, I dragged myself down to the gym for the first time in ages last night, was quite an enjoyable trip. Time will tell if that carries on though. It's fairly difficult to motivate after a 10/11 hour day in the office, especially if you have to get home around 8.30, still cook dinner, and prep some work for the next day.

Anyway I am now the boss in my dept so I'll be leaving earlier, have started occasionally cycling into work as well, so hopefully the gym will be something I keep up over the summer.

Set a personal best this morning 5k 32.30 :verysmug:

Good stuff mate. PB = progress.

I got to 18.48 last summer. Never done much this summer. So prob only manage 22mins these days.

(treadmill)

Edited by Sten Guns

Another 20 secs of my PB

:verysmug::verysmug:

Begbie when is this big tennis match? I'm playing some cracking stuff on the Wii.Feeling good just now :smuggy:

Gerd Muller

Just re-joined the gym this afternoon. I just want to tone up really by lifting weights. Im a postie so walking 3/4 hours a day, 5/6 times a week is my cardio haha but want to lift weights now. Dont even know where to start with reps/sets etc. Gonna have a look on some websites and see if there is a routine somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Another 20 secs of my PB

Begbie when is this big tennis match? I'm playing some cracking stuff on the Wii.Feeling good just now :smuggy:

Soon mate, soon.

You won't know what's hit you pal. laugh.gif

I am starting the training for the 10k as well :thumbsup: Hoping to do it in about an hour.

I'm hoping to just finish mate!!! It asked when I registered my estimated time I put 1 hour 10 but honestly it's not going well Picard!

Give me a shout when you need me UV I'm ready!!!

Creepy Lurker

Just re-joined the gym this afternoon. I just want to tone up really by lifting weights. Im a postie so walking 3/4 hours a day, 5/6 times a week is my cardio haha but want to lift weights now. Dont even know where to start with reps/sets etc. Gonna have a look on some websites and see if there is a routine somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Try Googling 'Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength'.

Tommy Wiseau

Another 20 secs of my PB

:lol:

I'll crack the jokes. I was undefeated at that Wii tennis until I retired at my peak. :verysmug:

Could be soon, I've been down the Blackhall a couple of times, still need to join up though. :vrface:

Fancy registering for a 10k but after not doing too much in the last 6 months I was toiling even on my 5k time last week at the gym. Might register once I know what I can aim for. I have a run planned out that is 18km on Nike+ which I want to be able to do without stopping or walking by the end of the summer (mid September) - good to have a target.

For those who would know, how good is golf for you if you're trying to build a bit of fitness and burn some cals? It seems very easy but calorie counters always have ludicrously high totals for how much it burns. :blink:

:lol:

I'll crack the jokes. I was undefeated at that Wii tennis until I retired at my peak. :verysmug:

Could be soon, I've been down the Blackhall a couple of times, still need to join up though. :vrface:

Fancy registering for a 10k but after not doing too much in the last 6 months I was toiling even on my 5k time last week at the gym. Might register once I know what I can aim for. I have a run planned out that is 18km on Nike+ which I want to be able to do without stopping or walking by the end of the summer (mid September) - good to have a target.

For those who would know, how good is golf for you if you're trying to build a bit of fitness and burn some cals? It seems very easy but calorie counters always have ludicrously high totals for how much it burns. :blink:

Bring it on Charles/Begbie.

I played a round of golf a couple of years back with the buggy loaded with alcohol.I got hammered.Never played again:vrface:

Register for the 10k in October mate.