Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Eat small eat often is the problem I have. It is difficult to eat every couple of hours when you are not used to it. I never ate a breakfast for years and wouldnt eat until late afternoon most days. I found even a slice of toast in the morning within an hour of waking helps you get started. Black coffee/Green tea also helps kick start you. I also started taking protein shakes when I didnt feel like eating but knew I had to eat something.

As with weight gain try just looking in the mirror rather than looking at the scales. Take some pictures of yourself on the same date every month and compare them as well. You will find people will comment on how you are looking if you keep up the execise an sensible eating rather than feeling bad because you havent lost any weight according to the scales.

Edited by jackal

Not read the whole thread but have had a quick browse and hoping some folk can help me out.

I'm considerably overweight and my appearance is fecking attrocious. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with regards as to how to lose weight and get fit as fast as possible. I'm just really sick of feeling/looking terrible and blowing out my arse after walking 50 yards.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Creepy Lurker

Not read the whole thread but have had a quick browse and hoping some folk can help me out.

I'm considerably overweight and my appearance is fecking attrocious. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with regards as to how to lose weight and get fit as fast as possible. I'm just really sick of feeling/looking terrible and blowing out my arse after walking 50 yards.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think that the best advice is to make small steps first: start exercising lightly but regularly, gradually building up the intensity, and try to change one small dietary thing a week. As you go along, you'll find that a lot of things are easier than you expect and that you'll actually enjoy it.

What you want to be doing is making lifestyle changes rather than going for quick fixes: don't try to take on too much all at once, as you're likely to stick to it rigidly for a few weeks before becoming exhausted and slipping back into your old habits. As you get more confident, there are several posters on this thread (myself included) who'll be more than happy to give you more detailed advice.

I think that the best advice is to make small steps first: start exercising lightly but regularly, gradually building up the intensity, and try to change one small dietary thing a week. As you go along, you'll find that a lot of things are easier than you expect and that you'll actually enjoy it.

What you want to be doing is making lifestyle changes rather than going for quick fixes: don't try to take on too much all at once, as you're likely to stick to it rigidly for a few weeks before becoming exhausted and slipping back into your old habits. As you get more confident, there are several posters on this thread (myself included) who'll be more than happy to give you more detailed advice.

Cheers bud, really appreciate it. I'll keep up to date with this thread from here to hopefully help with motivation.

Cheers bud, really appreciate it. I'll keep up to date with this thread from here to hopefully help with motivation.

Mate

Seriously, have a look at the Bootcamp link...the guys are brilliant, got me up and [actually] running with my fitness.

They look at eating habits and sort out your diet as well as the exercise...changed me big style...i'm now running 10ks..!! :thumbsup:

http://www.burnitbootcamp.co.uk/

Do it man....PM me if I can help....I could sort you out with a free pass for a night to see whats involved if you want...

Sexton Hardcastle

Not sure if this is frowned upon or what..

But im shifting my rowing machine in the sales section bit.

Kind of open to offers.

Is couscous healthy? Just had tuna steak with sundried tomatoes and couscous. Was barry.

Tommy Wiseau

As far as I could tell when I was making the tea the other night, it's no bad for you Andy. Pack it with veggies and I'd call that a meal in itself.

I'm planning on doing the Glasgow to Edinburgh cycle in September, I do a bit of running so my fitness level's not bad, does anyone have any advice on cycling training, should I just increase my milage 5 miles a week or something?

A lot of hills, dont do it on a heavy mountain bike. Great day out.

Creepy Lurker

Is couscous healthy? Just had tuna steak with sundried tomatoes and couscous. Was barry.

There aren't any grains that are bad for you as such, but you do have to watch portion control with them.

Couscous is medium GI, which isn't bad, and low fat. As grains go it's high in protein, although it isn't a complete protein source. It's a pretty good source of carbs.

It's a bit difficult to say something like cous cous is 'healthy' because there are too many variables. It really depends on how much you're having and what you're having it with. What you had, provided that you had a reasonably sized portion of couscous, would've been a healthy meal.

I like couscous with chickpeas and a bit of dried fruit mixed in plus meat or fish and some diced veg.

Right fitness bods, this is your time to shine.

Looking to shed a good bit of weight ( target 3 stones!!!) I know its going to be hellish hard, and its obviously not going to happen over night but after returning from holiday in 3 weeks time its on like Donkey Kong.

Now I've been reliably informed (although it wouldnt take a genius to work out) that diet and a fitness regime is the key to this. I've been given an excellent diet plan by someone who knows the nutrition game but was wondering if anyone out their could furnish me with some good tips on fitness regimes and techniques to compliment the diet. I'm not a complete stranger to excercise. Walking is something I do a lot of and really enjoy but never done the gym thing and an hour of fives is about my limit running wise (although I am bang up for improving that)

So

1. Are gyms essential? Finances are a factor as is my self confidence!!!

2. What other tips can anyone give.

Thanks in advance. All help welcome. Shall keep my eye on this.

Creepy Lurker

Right fitness bods, this is your time to shine.

Looking to shed a good bit of weight ( target 3 stones!!!) I know its going to be hellish hard, and its obviously not going to happen over night but after returning from holiday in 3 weeks time its on like Donkey Kong.

Now I've been reliably informed (although it wouldnt take a genius to work out) that diet and a fitness regime is the key to this. I've been given an excellent diet plan by someone who knows the nutrition game but was wondering if anyone out their could furnish me with some good tips on fitness regimes and techniques to compliment the diet. I'm not a complete stranger to excercise. Walking is something I do a lot of and really enjoy but never done the gym thing and an hour of fives is about my limit running wise (although I am bang up for improving that)

So

1. Are gyms essential? Finances are a factor as is my self confidence!!!

2. What other tips can anyone give.

Thanks in advance. All help welcome. Shall keep my eye on this.

Gyms aren't essential at all, and if you don't enjoy going you probably won't stick to it. What I would say is that you shouldn't let a lack of self confidence stop you from giving it a shot: loads of people go to the gym for loads of different reasons, at just about every level of fitness. If anyone does look down on you because you're less fit than them they're a ###### anyway and not worth paying any attention to, but most won't. You do also get cheaper gyms if finances are a factor: Pure Gym on Lauriston Place only charge ?16.99 a month and have everything that you're likely to need.

The above's just if you particularly want to try a gym, though. It can undoubtedly be very beneficial, but if you don't want to then there are other ways of getting fit and in shape. Ideally, you're looking for something which'll challenge you but which you'll also enjoy: you're more likely to stick to it that way. Maybe playing fives a bit more or taking up light jogging to complement your walking? A fitness class of some kind might also be a good idea, or taking up a new sport. It's really just about finding what's right for you. It's also more than possible to work out at home with little or no equipment.

Those would be my main thoughts on it: don't let a lack of confidence stop you from going to the gym, but don't feel that it's something you have to do either.

Creepy,

I'm looking to change to a three day split because I've been doing a full body for about 8 weeks now.

I prefer doing weights at home and cardio in the gym because the weights section is always heaving. Can you give me some ideas for exercises to do on each body part with this equipment - bench, barbell, dumb bells, pull up bar?

From looking at it, splits seem to be focused more on isolations rather than compounds and I'm struggling to come up with decent workouts with the limited equipment I have.

Cheers buddy.

Creepy Lurker

What body parts were you looking to do?

I'd say that you should start out with a couple of compound lifts before moving on to isolation exercises, although I might not be the very best person to ask about this as I've never really trained in that way myself. The equipment that you have should be fine, though. If you let me know what you're wanting to do on different days, I'll do my best to make a few suggestions.

Chest/Tri

Back/Bi

Legs/Shoulders

I've seen 3 day splits where just about every machine/weight is used in the gym but I obviously need to keep it relatively simple.

Edited by Andy Gray

Creepy Lurker

Chest/Tri

Back/Bi

Legs/Shoulders

I've seen 3 day splits where just about every machine/weight is used in the gym but I obviously need to keep it relatively simple.

To be honest, I reckon it's better to use as few machines as possible anyway. The only area you'd maybe struggle a bit with would be the legs.

As far as the chest goes, I'd probably start out with the bench press and dips (if your pull up bar doesn't have the lower down bars to do dips, you should still be able to find something. Remember that you can add weight with dips by either adding a weight belt or holding a dumbell between your ankles) and move on to stuff like dumbell flyes, bench dips (again, weighted if required), lying or standing triceps extension, dumbell kickbacks and even press-ups. Again, press-ups can be just about infinitely varied to suit your requirements if you find sets of traditional press-ups too easy. For example, a wider grip hits the chest more whereas diamond press ups work the tris. You can also do stuff like incline / decline bench press.

As far as legs and shoulders go, deadlifts are a must here and so are squats. Once you've got the compound lifts out of the way, pick a few from:

Shoulder press

Lateral raise

Cuban press

Lunges

Romanian deadlift

Dumb-bell step up

Bulgarian split squats

I'd probably do all of the shoulder exercises there plus maybe one more on the legs. If you've squatted and deadlifted heavy, you probably won't need to hit them that much harder.

Back / bis

Definitely, definitely start with pull-ups here and I'd also strongly recommend the bent-over row. After that, try moving on to curls (there are various ways in which these can be varied, for instance standing/seated, dumbell/barbell, hammer curls and inclining the bench if possible), shrugs, etc.

Those are my thoughts, but as I say it isn't how I train personally and it might be worth getting a second opinion.

I never, ever do Chest / Tri's on same day.

Or Back / Bi's.

Tried it. Hate it.

Never ever felt like I was properly hitting my triceps or biceps. Once I got to them, they were already a little fatigued and I was almost knackered.

Plus if you want to hit both groups properly, you would need about 1 hour 45 in the gym. Too long. An hour is enough.

I give biceps and triceps a joint day together. Much prefer it. Feel I can hit them a lot lot better.

I never, ever do Chest / Tri's on same day.

Or Back / Bi's.

Tried it. Hate it.

Never ever felt like I was properly hitting my triceps or biceps. Once I got to them, they were already a little fatigued and I was almost knackered.

Plus if you want to hit both groups properly, you would need about 1 hour 45 in the gym. Too long. An hour is enough.

I give biceps and triceps a joint day together. Much prefer it. Feel I can hit them a lot lot better.

But if you done chest then tri's the next day your affectively working tri's two days in a row if that makes sense. You obviously work your arms when your doing chest (benching) so they need a rest.

But if you done chest then tri's the next day your affectively working tri's two days in a row if that makes sense. You obviously work your arms when your doing chest (benching) so they need a rest.

I wouldnt do triceps the day after chest though.

E.g done my chest on saturday. Bi's and Tri's wasn't until the Tuesday.

Plus the whole "doing them twice" thing isn't quite true. When doing Chest, the tricep is the secondary muscle. It's not like I'm giving them a proper workout and isolating them.

Works for me. Tried both and I def prefer it.

My training;

Day 1 - Chest

Day 2 - Back

Day 3 - Rest

Day 4 - Bi's / Tri's

Day 5 - Legs

Day 6 - Shoulders

Day 7 - Rest

Edited by Sten Guns

I wouldnt do triceps the day after chest though.

E.g done my chest on saturday. Bi's and Tri's wasn't until the Tuesday.

Plus the whole "doing them twice" thing isn't quite true. When doing Chest, the tricep is the secondary muscle. It's not like I'm giving them a proper workout and isolating them.

Works for me. Tried both and I def prefer it.

My training;

Day 1 - Chest

Day 2 - Back

Day 3 - Rest

Day 4 - Bi's / Tri's

Day 5 - Legs

Day 6 - Shoulders

Day 7 - Rest

Right I get you now. I've tried a tri/bi day and felt like my tri's weren't getting the best work out as I was too tired after bi's. Shows you how different everyone is!

Right I get you now. I've tried a tri/bi day and felt like my tri's weren't getting the best work out as I was too tired after bi's. Shows you how different everyone is!

Yeah very true mate.

To be honest, if I could only get to gym 3 days, I would defo train that way. Would make sense.

But given i go 5, i do prefer not do group them that way.

When it comes to triceps after Chest or Biceps, I'm almost certainly much more tired after Chest. It's a huge muscle group compared to biceps. So it takes more time, more sets, more excercises and in turn more energy - to fully hit. Far more than it takes to hit the Bi's properly.

I've always thought the formula for a split was big muscle group/small muscle group.

Walter Kidd

I joined Pure Gym, hired a personal trainer and have lost 2 and a half stone in ten weeks. 3 stone to go.

Been getting a pain in my left wrist when im benching. It's a mare cause it's stopped me increasing the weight. Anyone had this before or know what it is.

vladtheexhaler

A lot of hills, dont do it on a heavy mountain bike. Great day out.

Hills, are you sure? I'd have thought it was as close as you can get to cycling through the Netherlands!

Been getting a pain in my left wrist when im benching. It's a mare cause it's stopped me increasing the weight. Anyone had this before or know what it is.

I get that. But it's because I fractured my wrist years ago.

So couldn't say why your getting it.

I use these on chest day, really helps - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maximuscle-Black-Weight-Lifting-Elastic-Wrist-Supports-/320704298014?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item4aab773c1e

Also take glucoseamine sulphate and cod liver oil!

I hope your not rolling your wrist when benching and the bar is remaining on the meaty part of your hand.

I get that. But it's because I fractured my wrist years ago.

So couldn't say why your getting it.

I use these on chest day, really helps - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maximuscle-Black-Weight-Lifting-Elastic-Wrist-Supports-/320704298014?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item4aab773c1e

Also take glucoseamine sulphate and cod liver oil!

I hope your not rolling your wrist when benching and the bar is remaining on the meaty part of your hand.

Not rolling my wrists and the bar is kept on the bottom of my hand (meaty part). Had a chest sesh today and it wasn't too bad, although since this was my first sesh back in the gym since I got back from holidays I wasn't really lifting big.

Do you think it's worth getting the wristbands or just see if the problem persists?

Not rolling my wrists and the bar is kept on the bottom of my hand (meaty part). Had a chest sesh today and it wasn't too bad, although since this was my first sesh back in the gym since I got back from holidays I wasn't really lifting big.

Do you think it's worth getting the wristbands or just see if the problem persists?

They really do help me.

Plus even if ur not in pain, they can help you lift more weight as ur wrist stays solid. I tighten them before my set. Then loosen when I rest.

Handy for bicep curls too. Again allows for more weight.

Edited by Sten Guns

• 2 weeks later...
jambogee1974

Morning guys I've been doing the gym now since may twice a week and now doing badminton once a week, problem is weights coming off my ass,legs,shoulders biceps are toning nicely which is good but it aint coming off my Beer G. I find some things hard I.e sometimes I can run max 12 mins on the treadmill other times only 5min the rowing machine kills my back. Anyone got tips or exercise that I can try to tone up my gut? Am not talking a huge gut but it is there. Thanks in advance

Morning guys I've been doing the gym now since may twice a week and now doing badminton once a week, problem is weights coming off my ass,legs,shoulders biceps are toning nicely which is good but it aint coming off my Beer G. I find some things hard I.e sometimes I can run max 12 mins on the treadmill other times only 5min the rowing machine kills my back. Anyone got tips or exercise that I can try to tone up my gut? Am not talking a huge gut but it is there. Thanks in advance

Always the last place it comes off mate.

Stricter diet will get you 70% of the way there, followed by HIIT training on the treadmill.

Creepy Lurker

Afraid that there's nothing that you can do to isolate one area for fat burn. By exercising your core, you'll improve core strength and harder abs but fat burn will be distributed evenly over your body regardless (so even if your core becomes stronger/abs become harder, the layer of fat won't shift). If you find that fat goes from one area before another, then that's down to genetics. Sorry if this doesn't seem very helpful, but as Sten Guns says all that you can really do is increase your high intensity cardio (I've never done it myself, but badminton's meant to be really good actually) and make dietary improvements.

Finally got the results of my knee scan. Turns out I have a large defect in my cartilage. The doc said there is no sure fix for it and folk react differently to different treatment so I've went for physio.

Seem to be running fine at the moment though, I think mentally now that I know it's not my ligaments I'm not feeling the pain I did a few weeks ago if that makes sense.

Managed to get my 5k time down to 25 minutes today so pleased with that. Aiming for 20 mins by the end of the month.

Edited by Andy Gray

Malinga the Swinga

had a trapped nerve in neck about two years ago, and finally went to doctor, who sent me to physio, whe recommended I go to gym to build up back and neck muscles. Was a tad overweight, (if a tad ia about 4 stone) and got reduced fee because of medical recomendation. Ended up enjoying it and after 3 months joined edin Leisure and now try and go 3 times a week.

Staff at gym are great and now do one of the half hour express exercise class, where basically, an instructor gives you a circuit and works you hard. Struggled at first and still do a bit, but regain breath and heart beat drops much quicker than it did, so definatly working.

reckon I try and lose about 3lb a week, and other than Christams and holidays, try and kep it off. Don't eat anything after 8pm, and try and avoid fateening foods at lunchtime.

About 30 - 35 minutes of cardio, weights for arems, legs and back, floowed by 200 sit ups, takes me about an hour and a half. Still a bit to go, but dropped 3 trouser sizes, and feel a lot better.

Even started playing hockey again for a club team, and considering age, nearer 50 than 40, and I give away about 30 years to others in team, don't reckon I am too bad.

best decision I made as weight was getting out of hand, and was tired playing any sport. Now enjoy squash, badminton, hockey and tennis, so would well recommend a gym, as for me, it is seeing others that spurs me on.

The People's Chimp

Getting out on my bike a fair bit at the moment, and it's really good for fitness. I tend to take it everywhere at the moment; up town to meet mates for a few beers and then cycle home, or to the train station to get train through to the girlfriend's then out to her flat and also take it two work a couple of times a week. It means I pick up the miles where before it'd be the car or a taxi or bus. Can't remember the last time I drove through to her place for example.

Was out tonight for a fast 9 miles circuit around some roads on the southside of Glasgow, it was a relatively hilly route as well. I'm riding on a fixed gear, with a gear that's quite heavy on the hills, so you get a fairly good workout. One hill is an absolute beast. Great fun.

Finally got the results of my knee scan. Turns out I have a large defect in my cartilage. The doc said there is no sure fix for it and folk react differently to different treatment so I've went for physio.

Seem to be running fine at the moment though, I think mentally now that I know it's not my ligaments I'm not feeling the pain I did a few weeks ago if that makes sense.

Managed to get my 5k time down to 25 minutes today so pleased with that. Aiming for 20 mins by the end of the month.

Good time for your 5k AG.

I hurt my knee when I was on holiday.Kicked a stone in a river and it was sore for a few weeks.I went out this morning for a run.First time in over 3 weeks.5k 34 mins :vrface: 4 mins off my best time.

I've about 6 weeks until this 10k.I really wanted to do it in under a hour but think I'm going to struggle.I've decided after next Sunday I'm kncoking the drink on the head until after the run.Waking up with a hangover and then running is not doing me any good :lol:

Creepy Lurker

Didn't realise until half way through my new tattoo, which is on my left calf, that it's going to stop me from being able to use the left kick for a while.

Me = idiot. :mellow:

Good time for your 5k AG.

I hurt my knee when I was on holiday.Kicked a stone in a river and it was sore for a few weeks.I went out this morning for a run.First time in over 3 weeks.5k 34 mins :vrface: 4 mins off my best time.

I've about 6 weeks until this 10k.I really wanted to do it in under a hour but think I'm going to struggle.I've decided after next Sunday I'm kncoking the drink on the head until after the run.Waking up with a hangover and then running is not doing me any good :lol:

Good move mate. :thumbsup:

It's only a month and you'll feel much better for it, save a few quid and feel a sense of achievement.

Good move mate. :thumbsup:

It's only a month and you'll feel much better for it, save a few quid and feel a sense of achievement.

Actually getting a bit sick of the drink believe it or not.Drank so much the last 3 weeks.A break will do me good I think.

Still brought back 6 litres of flavoured Smirnoff from Majorca though :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Creepy Lurker

Doing padwork with a girl yesterday, and I reckon she might've even been fitter than me. She managed more press-ups during a timed drill. :o

She was absolutely outstanding too. I think I'm in love, gang. :lol:

Doing padwork with a girl yesterday, and I reckon she might've even been fitter than me. She managed more press-ups during a timed drill. :o

She was absolutely outstanding too. I think I'm in love, gang. :lol:

Mixing business and pleasure..

:yas:

Edited by Chrambo

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed this morning I've got stretch marks on either side of my neck like at the collar. Can't work out what from, would it be shoulders?

Never seen them there tbh!

I have them at the top of my armpits. Only visible when I hold my arms out wide. Looks like I have been stabbed. :lol: Proper scars.

Never seen them there tbh!

I have them at the top of my armpits. Only visible when I hold my arms out wide. Looks like I have been stabbed. :lol: Proper scars.

Ye that's where I would usually see them too (not on myself but on others). Still, stretch marks give me a boost to push it in the gym.

Ran 20k today.

Runners' trots. :mellow:

Having to run into a warehouse in the middle of nowhere and ask to use their shitter. :mellow:

Life. :mellow:

My overuse of the :mellow: smiley :mellow:

The weirdness of this post :mellow:

Endorphins :D

Ran 20k today.

Runners' trots. :mellow:

Having to run into a warehouse in the middle of nowhere and ask to use their shitter. :mellow:

Life. :mellow:

My overuse of the :mellow: smiley :mellow:

The weirdness of this post :mellow:

Endorphins :D

What would Paula say? Hate having a shit just after a run, makes the pan proper sweaty and hard to stay on.

rad+cliuffe.jpg

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Last four or five times I've been to the gym, I've been suffering from cramp when I run and always in the same place - in my right thigh muscle, just above my knee. Is there anything I can do to stop this - more salt in diet or something? So annoying to get 15 minutes into a run and have to bail out.