Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Anyone used Creatine caps?

Any good?

I got good stength gains off "kre alkalyn" creatine. Apparently better than monohydrate.

2 with lunch, 2 with post gym shake. (important u take creatine with carbs).

Got them on eBay off a company that sell supplements. 1 month worth was ?9.

I also really recommend Jack3d. It's a pre work out stimulant that will have you buzzing and really up for it as u go in the gym, that also contains creatine. It's ?20 for 45 servings.

True Mass is cracking too. Loads of protein, good carbs and glutamine. Found that a good sup too. I have never gained so leanly. Put on 10lbs since my holiday and very very little fat.

I got good stength gains off "kre alkalyn" creatine. Apparently better than monohydrate.

2 with lunch, 2 with post gym shake. (important u take creatine with carbs).

Got them on eBay off a company that sell supplements. 1 month worth was ?9.

I also really recommend Jack3d. It's a pre work out stimulant that will have you buzzing and really up for it as u go in the gym, that also contains creatine. It's ?20 for 45 servings.

True Mass is cracking too. Loads of protein, good carbs and glutamine. Found that a good sup too. I have never gained so leanly. Put on 10lbs since my holiday and very very little fat.

Cheers will have a look into that Creatine tonight. Heard alot about Jack3d although quite commonly that after a few weeks it wouldn't have as much of an effect. Might still get it as at ?20 it's probably worth it for those few weeks.

Been on Serious Mass for quite a while now, trying to put weight on and it's had mixed results. Sometimes I feel like I haven't had any gains, sometimes I feel like I have. My weight has remained constant throughout. Was thinking about making my own shakes with ground oats etc but the thought of having to blend everything everytime I want a shake is a bit off putting.

Cheers will have a look into that Creatine tonight. Heard alot about Jack3d although quite commonly that after a few weeks it wouldn't have as much of an effect. Might still get it as at ?20 it's probably worth it for those few weeks.

Been on Serious Mass for quite a while now, trying to put weight on and it's had mixed results. Sometimes I feel like I haven't had any gains, sometimes I feel like I have. My weight has remained constant throughout. Was thinking about making my own shakes with ground oats etc but the thought of having to blend everything everytime I want a shake is a bit off putting.

Yeah I suppose the body does get used to the stimulant and has less effect. I found that happened with NoXplode.

Prob best trying Jack3d when u start to plataue a bit, feeling tired, not as game. Take that for a couple weeks and get the fire back in the belly.

I used to make my own shakes up by buying individual ingredients from bulkpowders.com, but it got annoying eventually!

If u feel like ur not getting any gains I would probably go light for a couple weeks, 12 reps and 60 sec rest max. Then return heavy...... It helped my dumbbell shoulder press big time. Couldn't get past 28's for love nor money, now I'm basing out 30's for 8.

Edited by Sten Guns

Creatine did absolutely nowt for me personally.

Heard that Jack3d is ridic though.

Excuse my ignorance, "redic" as in shite or good? :lol:

When and how u take creatine will determine how well it works.

Plus unless ur diets good, your gonna get jack shit success even if you take it right.

Konrad von Carstein

Chaps, I am about to start "Gym Instructor Level 2" at Stevenson next week.

I wanted to do something like this a few years ago (when I was a real gym bunny) but then my marriage broke up and my life kinda went into a tailspin.

However I decided that spending a considerable sum on course fees is one way to get some focus back into my training...and have been very conciensious about going to the gym over the last 6 weeks.

My reason for posting is, have any of you done this course and can you offer any advice?

I got good stength gains off "kre alkalyn" creatine. Apparently better than monohydrate..

Just looking into this stuff and it gets good reviews. Did you get any aggression from it? Just as one of my mates is a week into a creatine cycle and I'm noticing alot of aggression, to the point were he squared upto another mate last night over nothing!

Just looking into this stuff and it gets good reviews. Did you get any aggression from it? Just as one of my mates is a week into a creatine cycle and I'm noticing alot of aggression, to the point were he squared upto another mate last night over nothing!

Sounds like just being a crazy bas.

Doesn't happen to me mate, nor the boys I train with with.

Where u training?

Think I might start kre alkalyn next Monday then. Cheers for the recommendation, it gets great reviews everywhere and at that price you cant really go wrong anyway.

Train at David Llyod at Newhaven, good but getting a bit busy now, they seam to be letting everyone join. What about you?

Think I might start kre alkalyn next Monday then. Cheers for the recommendation, it gets great reviews everywhere and at that price you cant really go wrong anyway.

Train at David Llyod at Newhaven, good but getting a bit busy now, they seam to be letting everyone join. What about you?

No probs mate.

Pure Gym at Ocean T.

Was Virgin, but for ?17 I couldn't say no :lol:

Pure does get busy, only really at peak times tho..... if your able to think on your feet it's easy to just do a diff exercise for the muscle group your working while u wait on what u want. Change is good anyway.

Sometimes I just ask if I can work in with person too.

So busy periods don't really bother me all that much.

No probs mate.

Pure Gym at Ocean T.

Was Virgin, but for ?17 I couldn't say no :lol:

Pure does get busy, only really at peak times tho..... if your able to think on your feet it's easy to just do a diff exercise for the muscle group your working while u wait on what u want. Change is good anyway.

Sometimes I just ask if I can work in with person too.

So busy periods don't really bother me all that much.

Was at Pure for a few months when it first opened, but just found it a bit too busy. Definately good at 17 a month though, I just prefer to pay more for the pool etc.

Was at Pure for a few months when it first opened, but just found it a bit too busy. Definately good at 17 a month though, I just prefer to pay more for the pool etc.

Definitely noticed it die down of late.

It's almost always the same faces now.

So in the main, only really regulars go and most newbies have vanished.

Excuse my ignorance, "redic" as in shite or good? :lol:

When and how u take creatine will determine how well it works.

Plus unless ur diets good, your gonna get jack shit success even if you take it right.

Aye ridic as in good. :laugh:

Any ideas for what I can have for my lunch thats suitable lads? Really trying to improve my diet and I'm happy with breakfast and dinner.

Stuff that I can prepare the night before and take wi me in the morning?

Also snacks for during the day?

Tommy Wiseau

Aye ridic as in good. :laugh:

Any ideas for what I can have for my lunch thats suitable lads? Really trying to improve my diet and I'm happy with breakfast and dinner.

Stuff that I can prepare the night before and take wi me in the morning?

Also snacks for during the day?

Will depend on the rest of your diet obviously, but in terms of snacks, I like to take they seed and dried fruit mixes to work and a few bags of nuts - hazelnuts, brazils mainly. A wee handful of them do the damage for some quick energy.

Pretty much what Frankie said. I like my cashews and almonds.

Lunch - chicken / turkey / tuna / egg on brown plus maybe apple and some nuts.

Drink LOADS of water.

I know nuts are good but I really can't stand them. Give me the boak just thinking about the rank taste.

What seeds can I get and where do I find them?

Is greek yoghurt alright?

Creepy Lurker

Can't do MT where I am now, but strangely this small town - population 20,000, where every single shop shuts for 2 hours at lunchtime and about three places are open on a Sunday - is home to a kickboxing club which has produced two current French champions. There are also two gyms, one of which I've joined. Both are pretty shite, though.

Keeping the dietary side of things up, although I'm loving cheat days at the moment. There are so many amazing bakers within walking distance of my flat that it's untrue. laugh.gif

Edit: as far as diet goes, my number one tip would be to cook meals in bulk at weekends or on days when you're not too busy. Make enough for four portions, freeze three and use as required. You can do this with just about any meal.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

The People's Chimp

Can't do MT where I am now, but strangely this small town - population 20,000, where every single shop shuts for 2 hours at lunchtime and about three places are open on a Sunday - is home to a kickboxing club which has produced two current French champions. There are also two gyms, one of which I've joined. Both are pretty shite, though.

Keeping the dietary side of things up, although I'm loving cheat days at the moment. There are so many amazing bakers within walking distance of my flat that it's untrue. laugh.gif

Edit: as far as diet goes, my number one tip would be to cook meals in bulk at weekends or on days when you're not too busy. Make enough for four portions, freeze three and use as required. You can do this with just about any meal.

Where in France are you? Will be hard to stay off the immense baguettes, red wine and cold demis.

Creepy Lurker

Where in France are you? Will be hard to stay off the immense baguettes, red wine and cold demis.

I'm in a small town called Pontarlier (population 20,000) in the Franche-Comt? region, up in the mountains near Switzerland. Red wine isn't a problem as I don't like wine anyway, it's really cheese and the sweet baked stuff that I love! As far as baguette goes, I am eating a bit more bread than before but I'm buying pain de seigle (rye baguette, basically) and pain de campagne, which is basically wholemeal baguette. You can't live in France and not go to the baker's in the morning to buy baguettes; it'd just be weird. laugh.gif

I'm wanting to get a decent diet plan for gaining some muscle mass.

According to my BMI I am an ideal weight.

Any tips on sort of things to eat or any supplements that are good.

I am going to be doing some boxing sparring and weight work as well as cardio about 2/3 times a week

Creepy Lurker

There's loads of dietary advice throughout this thread, and if you're looking for a good routine try Googling 'Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength'. You'll also struggle to put on mass if you're doing a lot of cardio and sparring. Calories out need to exceed calories in, and you'll use up a lot of energy doing cardio. That's not to say that you shouldn't do any, but you should be aware that it makes it more difficult to gain weight.

There's loads of dietary advice throughout this thread, and if you're looking for a good routine try Googling 'Mark Rippetoe Starting Strength'. You'll also struggle to put on mass if you're doing a lot of cardio and sparring. Calories out need to exceed calories in, and you'll use up a lot of energy doing cardio. That's not to say that you shouldn't do any, but you should be aware that it makes it more difficult to gain weight.

What sort of excercises would be betteR?

Creepy Lurker

Not a fan of Ripp's routines .

I do however respect his opinions on the form of each exercise.

As I've said on here before I've never made any effort to gain bulk, so I'm only really going on what mates have told me about his routines. If you can suggest something better, you may well be better placed to comment than me.

What sort of excercises would be betteR?

As I said, I've never tried to gain bulk, so it may be the case that there are other people on here more worth listening to than I am (I'm good with nutrition and general fitness, but my training's sport specific and gaining weight would be a bad thing for me in my sport). I'd say that it really depends on what level you're at: if you're just starting out, I'd go for three resistance workouts a week focussing on compound lifts, working the full body. Keep cardio to a maximum of two sessions a week (maybe on the days in between your resistance sessions, although you have to be careful to allow your body to recover: it's while recovering that your muscles grow, not while lifting, so recovery's vital) and go for short sessions of high intensity interval training rather than long steady state stuff.

If you're a bit more advanced, stick to three sessions a week but isolate different areas of your body (for instance legs/core one day, back/shoulders another and chest/arms another). Mix compound lifts and isolation exercises. Otherwise, the same advice still applies.

As I said, there are a few other guys on here who'll be more use than I will in terms of bodybuilding advice; I understand the general concepts and would be able to make a pretty decent fist of it if I wanted to, but you learn through experience and my experience is of a completely different kind of training. Also, apologies if this post doesn't seem very clear: I'm just back in from a long technique/sparring session, and as if that wasn't enough I'm having to try to explain stuff to people in a foreign language! My French is actually very good, but you don't really get taught much kickboxing or Muay Thai vocab at uni to be fair. sad.gif

Does anyone use myproteins own make proteins? Looking for something to help me get gains as serious mass isn't doing much. Looking at 'total protein' and adding oats post workout.

Konrad von Carstein

Small milestone achieved today - 30 mins on the treadmilll non-stop - first time I've managed this in months. Speed wasn't the highest (9km/hr :( ) but I'm aiming to increase time to 1 hour at the same pace over the next 6 weeks or so.

The interval hill programme I do along with an interval sprints one should help with this goal.

Sexton Hardcastle

Anyone use rowing machines often?

The one i used now and again last year is back in action. It has a small trip computer on it but it doesnt show meters on it.

Is it possible to guesstimate by the number of reps/time on how many meters have been done?

Quite keen to do x many miles a week.

As I've said on here before I've never made any effort to gain bulk, so I'm only really going on what mates have told me about his routines. If you can suggest something better, you may well be better placed to comment than me.

I prob didnt word that right.

I'm not saying Rip's workouts don't work. I'm sure they do!

I just dont enjoy them. Prefer splitting the muscle groups up.

Works for me, and importantly, I enjoy it that way.

Absolutely love his explanations on how to bench, deadlift, squat and press. The guy is ruthlessly honest. I just don't wanna do them all in the same workout!

Instead of jack3d I've gone for XcelR8, heard some crazy stuff about it. Arrived this morning so will try out tonight

I tried 1MR and couldn't sleep until 3am. :lol:

Never take it after 4pm would be my advice!

In fact I'm never taking it again after noon.

I tried 1MR and couldn't sleep until 3am. :lol:

Never take it after 4pm would be my advice!

In fact I'm never taking it again after noon.

Well took it about 6 o'clock, gym for an hour then sauna etc and still feel it now. Bodies tired heads buzzing, good though got alot done tonight and helped me push it.

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on this compound only 4 day split?

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/21-compound-exercises-only-workout.html

Looks decent to me.

What could be done to change it into a 3 day?

AP, if you want a three day split, I would go

Day 1. Chest and triceps

Day 2. Back and biceps

Day 3. Shoulders and Legs

Throw in abs twice a week on days you have time, feel energentic. If you want to hit the Traps, either Shoulder or Back day is fine. Or you could even do the shrugs on Back day and the upright rows on Shoulder day to spread the Traps out accross two of the sessions.

Does anyone have any advice on good protein shakes to use? I reeeaaally need to gain weight and I struggle to take in enough calories or protein, so shakes would really make that part a lot easier.

I read over the earlier stages of the thread and admittedly unlike what was suggested, I'm not exactly a "serious trainer". I know that goes against what was suggested but I've been told by a few people that I "need a supplement", and that I should try shakes.

Any suggestions?

Edited by peter_hmfc

Does anyone have any advice on good protein shakes to use? I reeeaaally need to gain weight and I struggle to take in enough calories or protein, so shakes would really make that part a lot easier.

I read over the earlier stages of the thread and admittedly unlike what was suggested, I'm not exactly a "serious trainer". I know that goes against what was suggested but I've been told by a few people that I "need a supplement", and that I should try shakes.

Any suggestions?

I'm a big fan of True Mass by BSN.

Usually clean gains. That's because the carbs aren't all sugars like so many weight gainers.

?30 on eBay is your best bet.

Creepy Lurker

Any suggestions?

No-one 'needs a supplement' when they're starting out - it's just a way to compensate for an inadequate diet - but if you're struggling to take on enough protein/calories then what you want is really a meal replacement shake (or meal replacement products more generally). A decent one of these should provide relatively balanced amounts of protein, carbs and fat (as Sten Guns says, look for products in which the carbs are as low in sugar as possible. Aside from shakes, many sports nutrition brands make high protein oat bars which are good from that point of view).

Can't recommend any specific product, though, as I've never really been interested in gaining weight. I do use the oat bars that I mentioned earlier (CNP Pro Flapjacks are good, as are Myprotein Oats & Whey), but can't speak for their effect on weight gain.

Edit: I genuinely didn't mean to come over as a tosser in the first paragraph of this post; I just maintain, and will always maintain, that there's no point in any kind of supplementation until you've got your diet sorted out (unless you're very heavy to start with, in which case protein supplementation may be highly useful).

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Day 1. Chest and triceps

Day 2. Back and biceps

Throw in abs twice a week on days you have time, feel energentic. If you want to hit the Traps, either Shoulder or Back day is fine. Or you could even do the shrugs on Back day and the upright rows on Shoulder day to spread the Traps out accross two of the sessions.

What do you think of using compounds only for a 3 day split?

I only use the gym for cardio because the weight section is always heaving so compound moves are more suitable with the weights I've got at home.

Getting a bit bored of a full body 3 days a week and it's too demanding on my legs.

Edited by Alan Partridge

What do you think of using compounds only for a 3 day split?

I only use the gym for cardio because the weight section is always heaving so compound moves are more suitable with the weights I've got at home.

Getting a bit bored of a full body 3 days a week and it's too demanding on my legs.

Well, the compounds are the most important, so it ain't going to be no bad thing only doing them.

I like to make sure I hit the isolation excercise too. For example I also make sure i also get in;

Chest - dumbbell flies, cable flies, overhead pulls

Back - single arm rows, reverse flies

Shoulders - front raises, side delt raises,

Legs - extensions, press, lunges

But then it's easier for me as I'm working on a 5 day split..... But certainly for your 3 days, that link you posted will be pretty damn good.

If your getting in the big ones like squats, deads, bench press, military press, bent over rows, you can't go wrong.

No-one 'needs a supplement' when they're starting out - it's just a way to compensate for an inadequate diet - but if you're struggling to take on enough protein/calories then what you want is really a meal replacement shake (or meal replacement products more generally). A decent one of these should provide relatively balanced amounts of protein, carbs and fat (as Sten Guns says, look for products in which the carbs are as low in sugar as possible. Aside from shakes, many sports nutrition brands make high protein oat bars which are good from that point of view).

Can't recommend any specific product, though, as I've never really been interested in gaining weight. I do use the oat bars that I mentioned earlier (CNP Pro Flapjacks are good, as are Myprotein Oats & Whey), but can't speak for their effect on weight gain.

Edit: I genuinely didn't mean to come over as a tosser in the first paragraph of this post; I just maintain, and will always maintain, that there's no point in any kind of supplementation until you've got your diet sorted out (unless you're very heavy to start with, in which case protein supplementation may be highly useful).

I'm not exactly just starting out as I've been going to the gym for a few months now (I used to post on this thread a while back). I haven't really seen any gains because of my lack of intake so I've (eventually) decided to try supplements. (I know it took me too long to realise that but I was wary of them at first.) I'll have a look at both kinds, as people have told me that protein shakes are what I need. :thumbsup:

Also to Sten. :thumbsup:. I'd multiquote but it won't let me.

Day 1. Chest and triceps

Day 2. Back and biceps

this, i also throw in a weekly Cardio sesh, either Muay Thai or BJJ

oh and for supplements, you want some protein before you got to the gym, either eat some chicken or buy some protein shake, I use muscle milk. after my workout i use PHD synergy, its great choc chip version, doesn't make you fart like a trooper or make you feel funny and tastes amazing :)

Edited by Rastajambo

Creepy Lurker

I'm not exactly just starting out as I've been going to the gym for a few months now (I used to post on this thread a while back). I haven't really seen any gains because of my lack of intake so I've (eventually) decided to try supplements. (I know it took me too long to realise that but I was wary of them at first.) I'll have a look at both kinds, as people have told me that protein shakes are what I need. :thumbsup:

Also to Sten. :thumbsup:. I'd multiquote but it won't let me.

Looks like you've got your heart set on shakes, but bear in mind that they aren't magic potions that'll make you super bulky. They can aid weight gain as part of a balanced diet and training regime, but don't expect shakes alone to turn you into the Incredible Hulk. All that they are is a dietary supplement. In the same way that vitamin pills alone won't stop you from ever getting ill, protein shakes alone won't cause you to gain weight.

Looks like you've got your heart set on shakes, but bear in mind that they aren't magic potions that'll make you super bulky. They can aid weight gain as part of a balanced diet and training regime, but don't expect shakes alone to turn you into the Incredible Hulk. All that they are is a dietary supplement. In the same way that vitamin pills alone won't stop you from ever getting ill, protein shakes alone won't cause you to gain weight.

I DEFINITELY don't want to try and become some sort of Hulk and I'm not expecting to, I just want to gain enough weight/muscle to look normal, instead of the anorexic stick insect I am now. :thumbsup:

I DEFINITELY don't want to try and become some sort of Hulk and I'm not expecting to, I just want to gain enough weight/muscle to look normal, instead of the anorexic stick insect I am now. :thumbsup:

Eat more! 6 or 7 meals a day. Eat a small meal right before bed. Get loads of sleep and water in you.

Train hard and consistent. It will happen mate.

Eat more! 6 or 7 meals a day. Eat a small meal right before bed. Get loads of sleep and water in you.

Train hard and consistent. It will happen mate.

I do and have tried to eat far more, but because I'm thin and I have a small stomach, eating any more would feel like I'm forcing it in. I'm also worried I'd make myself sick a lot. I eat normal meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and random snacks throughout the day, but I was looking for a protein shake to help boost it. One of the reasons I asked for personal tried/tested recommendations was because it's hard wading through the millions of falsified "How I got mega-ripped in 4 weeks" crap I see quite a lot.

I do and have tried to eat far more, but because I'm thin and I have a small stomach, eating any more would feel like I'm forcing it in. I'm also worried I'd make myself sick a lot. I eat normal meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and random snacks throughout the day, but I was looking for a protein shake to help boost it. One of the reasons I asked for personal tried/tested recommendations was because it's hard wading through the millions of falsified "How I got mega-ripped in 4 weeks" crap I see quite a lot.

Well I can honestly say BSN true mass is worth a bash.

I blend 4 eggs, 1/2 milk and 50g of cottage cheese before bed and drink it. Doesn't feel like a meal as your drinking it. :thumbsup: