Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Congratulations, you found 4 links out of the 3000 correct ones that you skipped by.

I'll just stick to the theory that me and millions others use. Saw amazing gains on it so why change it?

And I find it funny how you say all I go on about is supplements lol. Supplements help a lot believe it or not and whilst I agree that real food is obviously better there's nothing wrong with recommending stuff that works to others on this forum is there now?

But I'll just stick to doing it the right way at 180lbs and 9% BF.

Cya x

Creepy Lurker

Congratulations, you found 4 links out of the 3000 correct ones that you skipped by.

I'll just stick to the theory that me and millions others use. Saw amazing gains on it so why change it?

And I find it funny how you say all I go on about is supplements lol. Supplements help a lot believe it or not and whilst I agree that real food is obviously better there's nothing wrong with recommending stuff that works to others on this forum is there now?

But I'll just stick to doing it the right way at 180lbs and 9% BF.

Cya x

:lol:

You feel free to do what you like. The fact that you don't have a clue what you're doing (and have offered nothing to back up your case beyond 'OMG YOOR SO WORNG) isn't my problem.

Enjoy your supplements, lad. They're brilliant value for money and the perfect substitute for actually understanding required macronutrient levels.

You feel free to do what you like. The fact that you don't have a clue what you're doing (and have offered nothing to back up your case beyond 'OMG YOOR SO WORNG) isn't my problem.

Enjoy your supplements, lad. They're brilliant value for money and the perfect substitute for actually understanding required macronutrient levels.

The fact I'm doing it wrong? Never realized 180lb's at 9% BF was doing it wrong?

And I don't substitute supplements for anything. They are an addition to the diet I'm on. Real foods > any supplement.

Stop acting as if you know me lol you're 140lbs that speaks for itself.

Creepy Lurker

The fact I'm doing it wrong? Never realized 180lb's at 9% BF was doing it wrong?

And I don't substitute supplements for anything. They are an addition to the diet I'm on. Real foods > any supplement.

Stop acting as if you know me lol you're 140lbs that speaks for itself.

Seriously, stop making a ***** of yourself. That last sentence of your post makes you look particularly stupid given that I've already explained the reasoning behind my attempting to make a specific weight...still, if greasing yourself up and flexing in front of a mirror makes you feel good / straight / whatever, bash on.

You're doing it wrong in that you're taking on more protein than you need. The extra won't do any harm, you'd just see identical results whilst saving a lot of money if you were to take on significantly less. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about this, but then again my IQ's in triple figures.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Seriously, stop making a ***** of yourself. That last sentence of your post makes you look particularly stupid given that I've already explained the reasoning behind my attempting to make a specific weight...still, if greasing yourself up and flexing in front of a mirror makes you feel good / straight / whatever, bash on.

You're doing it wrong in that you're taking on more protein than you need. The extra won't do any harm, you'd just see identical results whilst saving a lot of money if you were to take on significantly less. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about this, but then again my IQ's in triple figures.

I'm not taking on more protein than I need though. If I were taking on as much as you specify I wouldn't be where I am now and I know that from experience. I have been lifting for years now and have done hours of research and a course a few years back so don't jump to conclusions thinking you know more as you don't.

So please don't say I'm doing it wrong, wouldn't be where I am now, cheers. :)

Creepy Lurker

I'm not taking on more protein than I need though. If I were taking on as much as you specify I wouldn't be where I am now and I know that from experience. I have been lifting for years now and have done hours of research and a course a few years back so don't jump to conclusions thinking you know more as you don't.

So please don't say I'm doing it wrong, wouldn't be where I am now, cheers. :)

Oh, okay then. That's certainly settled my hash.

Creepy Lurker

FU*KN PROTEIN M8

Top post.

Everyone should take loads of protein to the exclusion of everything else. That is how you get fit. I went on a course, you know. I weigh 700kg, 2% bodyfat.

I don't even have half a clue, I only read this thread to take emotional reinforcement from reading the people less fit than myself, and they're few and far between.

Edited by LPjambo91

Top post.

Everyone should take loads of protein to the exclusion of everything else. That is how you get fit. I went on a course, you know. I weigh 700kg, 2% bodyfat.

When did I say everyone should take loads of protein and nothing else? Also that 2 year diploma gave me a good knowledge of nutrition.

My keyboard gangster comment made earlier was true after all.

Also, I do Muay Thai, I'm hard as feck and roundhouse people if they get wide. Nae **** mess wit me.

Edited by Jailbait

Magic thread which I've avoided for far too long now.

Bit the bullet yesterday tho and joined Pure Gym at Lauriston Place, anyone else use it?

The 24 hour opening appeals to me as I do some funny old shifts.

Anyway, I weighed myself today and I am 16 stone 6 lbs (yes I know, fat *******, but not long ago I was just over 17 and a half!!!). I'm 6ft 1 and I'm a big guy anyway, so I reckon if I could get down to 14 stone I'd be delighted.

So this is day one for me.....I'll let u know how I get on. Seems this is the place to be to get that extra motivation we all need sometimes eh!

Creepy Lurker

When did I say everyone should take loads of protein and nothing else? Also that 2 year diploma gave me a good knowledge of nutrition.

My keyboard gangster comment made earlier was true after all.

Also, I do Muay Thai, I'm hard as feck and roundhouse people if they get wide. Nae **** mess wit me.

Yeah. 'Cause I've been acting mental on this thread.

:teehee:

Anyway, I think that this has run its course now. There's no way that I can hold my own against someone who went on a course.

Yeah. 'Cause I've been acting mental on this thread.

:teehee:

Anyway, I think that this has run its course now. There's no way that I can hold my own against someone who went on a course.

2 year Diploma > Researching / making up facts on the internet.

Snake Plissken

2 year Diploma > Researching / making up facts on the internet.

What was the course and where did you study?

What was the course and where did you study?

HND Fitness, Health and Exercise at Stevenson College.

Nutrition was one of the Modules in first and second year.

Can we not get back on topic? This thread was decent until the 'I know more about nutrition than you' pish.

Just agree to disagree as youre both coming across as plums.

Ahem.

Ive been hitting the gym for a few weeks now after a year away. I put on no weight whilst not going to the gym but was definitely less fit by the end of my exile. Enjoying it more now that most of the January crowd have fecked off and theres actually room to work.

I normally do a 2 mile run for warm up then about 20 minutes of fartlek training. Ive had rapid improvements in a short space of time with regards to the speed and distance I can now run for plus the time flies by far quicker than if you are just running at the same speed for ages.

Then I normally do about 30 minutes of weight work on arms, leg and back or core work without weights. I tend to do day about for this.

Enjoying it more now that most of the January crowd have fecked off and theres actually room to work.

This, however it's school holidays atm which is a nightmare. Gym was absolutely packed this morning

This, however it's school holidays atm which is a nightmare. Gym was absolutely packed this morning

Not till next week down here. Hopefully they'll stay away! I might work from home all next week and just go in at 2ish in the afternoon. Always quiet then.

Snake Plissken

I find Monday evening is the worst for being crowded. I go every lunchtime instead and only occasionally go in after work because of the crowds. I keep meaning to do a pre-work run as mornings tend to be the best time for cardio but haven't managed it yet. It'll be easier come spring.

Never been to a gym in my puff but am considering starting tonight. Anyone got any tips for a routine to get me into the swing of it? Got a bit of a dodgy back so can't do anything that puts too much strain on it. Not looking to massively bulk up, just a bit of toning and improved fitness is what I'm after.

tommythejambo

FU*KN PROTEIN M8

That did me, in a computer lab at Uni and burst out laughing like a pleb.

Also, starting a new diet/fitness regime today, going to have a few weeks off the skite aswell.

Trying to burn fat but at the same time gain a bit muscle in certain areas (forearms especially, which considering my size and weight are ridiculosly skinny, also chest and back). Aside from the obvious, anyone got any advice?

Won't be taking protein shakes or that, just eating a good diet.

Edited by tommythejambo

Snake Plissken

That did me, in a computer lab at Uni and burst out laughing like a pleb.

Also, starting a new diet/fitness regime today, going to have a few weeks off the skite aswell.

Trying to burn fat but at the same time gain a bit muscle in certain areas (forearms especially, which considering my size and weight are ridiculosly skinny, also chest and back). Aside from the obvious, anyone got any advice?

Won't be taking protein shakes or that, just eating a good diet.

Deadlifts are your friend.

You can't go wrong with compound exercises for both building muscle and burning fat. By compound I mean - an exercise that uses multiple muscles in the movement. As well as deadlifts, you have squats, bench press and rows - you can find the equivalents with machines if you don't feel overly confident in your technique.

Working big muscle groups will burn fat at a faster rate and if you jump on the bike/treadmill after your weights you'll burn fat fast. Just a couple of simple pointers to get you started. You don't need an elaborate program, just consistency and working the right muscles.

Creepy Lurker

HND Fitness, Health and Exercise at Stevenson College.

Nutrition was one of the Modules in first and second year.

lol

You can't go wrong with compound exercises for both building muscle and burning fat. By compound I mean - an exercise that uses multiple muscles in the movement. As well as deadlifts, you have squats, bench press and rows - you can find the equivalents with machines if you don't feel overly confident in your technique.

Working big muscle groups will burn fat at a faster rate and if you jump on the bike/treadmill after your weights you'll burn fat fast. Just a couple of simple pointers to get you started. You don't need an elaborate program, just consistency and working the right muscles.

I've never really got into deadlifts. How much would I be lifting starting out on them? I've tried them (only lift weights at home) but I don't think I have heavy enough weights to make them effective.

lol

You can 'lol' and act the big man over teh interwebs all you want but having that is better than researching / making up facts over the internet.

People that act hard over the internet really are embarrassing. You weigh 140lb's, that's nothing to be proud of, I've taken sh*** that weigh more than that.

Edited by Jailbait

UnworthyPapaLazaru

That's a big shite. Should maybe look at your diet, it could be something your eating.

Seriously though, your last paragraph is a bit 'internet hardman', exactlly the thing you are trying to mock.

There are many schools of thought on training, you both clearly have differing opinions, but it doesn't mean both cant be effective. Settle your differences and let this good thread continue in the way it was intended. This is a bit like the 'i am a better hearts fan than you' threads...

For the record, I have appreciated the advice from both of you. Cheers.

Creepy Lurker

Where do you train about for MT?

At the moment I'm training at Stirling Uni, but over winter I was training at Headhunters in Leith (and I'll be going back there again over the summer, I imagine).

If you're looking for somewhere to train in Edinburgh then I'd definitely recommend it, and I believe that different clubs do classes at Meadowbank and somewhere in Duddingston. I don't know of any others, which isn't to say that there aren't any.

You can 'lol' and act the big man over teh interwebs all you want but having that is better than researching / making up facts over the internet.

People that act hard over the internet really are embarrassing. You weigh 140lb's, that's nothing to be proud of, I've taken sh*** that weigh more than that.

Answers of a generic nature 101 from meathead over there in the corner. If either of us is 'acting the hardman', it certainly isn't me.

I'm not sure of how many times I'll need to mention that I had to make a specific effort to lose weight before you'll understand it. Maybe a diagram would help.

Edit: out of interest, where did I say that I do my research over the internet? You were the one going on about bodybuilding forums, I only did a quick Google search because you kept asking me to. There is actually a lot of decent stuff online, but there's a lot of dross too. As you're proving.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

RoussetsShorts

One of the worst pieces of advice I've ever read.

DO NOT TOUCH any compound exercises until you have had proper instruction and at least 3 months build up cardio training.

DO NOT TOUCH any compound exercises until you have had proper instruction and at least 3 months build up cardio training.

This.

A while back one of my mates gave dead-lifting a try, without really knowing what he was doing. 2 reps later he's on the floor with a Hernia.

At the moment I'm training at Stirling Uni, but over winter I was training at Headhunters in Leith (and I'll be going back there again over the summer, I imagine).

If you're looking for somewhere to train in Edinburgh then I'd definitely recommend it, and I believe that different clubs do classes at Meadowbank and somewhere in Duddingston. I don't know of any others, which isn't to say that there aren't any.

Answers of a generic nature 101 from meathead over there in the corner. If either of us is 'acting the hardman', it certainly isn't me.

I'm not sure of how many times I'll need to mention that I had to make a specific effort to lose weight before you'll understand it. Maybe a diagram would help.

Edit: out of interest, where did I say that I do my research over the internet? You were the one going on about bodybuilding forums, I only did a quick Google search because you kept asking me to. There is actually a lot of decent stuff online, but there's a lot of dross too. As you're proving.

I train at Rick Young's and was just curious as to where you trained.

Snake Plissken

:vrface:

Bloody hell.

I'll just go an burn my Instructor's Certificate now.

As I said in my advice, use the machines if you're not confident with technique and the emboldened is irrelevant.

If you do ANY exercise with the wrong technique you risk injury.

Konrad von Carstein

Distraught! I have had to cancel my gym membership :(

Having to pull in the horns financially for a while...intention is to go running 2-3 times aweek & see if I can find a decent exercise bike (cheap) and buy some dumbells to use in the house.

One thing I was considering was buying aweighted vest to use when out running any one got veiws on this?

Now looking for tips on making sure I train properly until I can get back to the gym....over to you good chaps.... :ermm:

Creepy Lurker

Distraught! I have had to cancel my gym membership :(

Having to pull in the horns financially for a while...intention is to go running 2-3 times aweek & see if I can find a decent exercise bike (cheap) and buy some dumbells to use in the house.

One thing I was considering was buying aweighted vest to use when out running any one got veiws on this?

Now looking for tips on making sure I train properly until I can get back to the gym....over to you good chaps.... :ermm:

It'll depend on what your aims are - if you're looking to gain weigh, this'll be of limited use, but it's good for overall fitness and fat burn - but bodyweight moves like press-ups, squats, burpees and core stuff are constantly overlooked. If you do them as a circuit at a high intensity, they'll keep you in shape and burning fat. That's how we usually train at MT; I don't have the time to post specific circuits at the moment, but can later if you're interested.

I know a couple of guys who swear by using a weighted vest. If you have any hills near you, I'd also try a bit of high intensity interval training up there as well as your steady state cardio (although you can also do HIIT on flat ground if not, or on an exercise bike for that matter).

Edit: good, relatively inexpensive pieces of kit for at home workouts include resistance bands and Swiss balls.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Konrad von Carstein

It'll depend on what your aims are - if you're looking to gain weigh, this'll be of limited use, but it's good for overall fitness and fat burn - but bodyweight moves like press-ups, squats, burpees and core stuff are constantly overlooked. If you do them as a circuit at a high intensity, they'll keep you in shape and burning fat. That's how we usually train at MT; I don't have the time to post specific circuits at the moment, but can later if you're interested.

I know a couple of guys who swear by using a weighted vest. If you have any hills near you, I'd also try a bit of high intensity interval training up there as well as your steady state cardio (although you can also do HIIT on flat ground if not, or on an exercise bike for that matter).

Edit: good, relatively inexpensive pieces of kit for at home workouts include resistance bands and Swiss balls.

Just looking to maintain fitness and keep the pounds off CL, my training at the gym focuses on keeping the heart rate up after I come of the treadmill/bike using medicine balls, kettle bells and weighted bags.

Do you know where your mates got the weighted vests from?

What are the benefits of weighted vests and where can you get them?

Konrad, you could try gumtree for some cheap weights. Buy them once and you save loads on the gym.

Creepy Lurker

Just looking to maintain fitness and keep the pounds off CL, my training at the gym focuses on keeping the heart rate up after I come of the treadmill/bike using medicine balls, kettle bells and weighted bags.

Do you know where your mates got the weighted vests from?

We do all sorts of bodyweight workouts at MT, but you could try four back to back tabata workouts (one tabata workout = 20 seconds on, 10 off of one exercise, eight times through at as high an intensity as possible) using burpees, Hindu squats, various core moves and press-ups (you can vary the types of squat and press-up to make them easier or harder, but most people don't need to!). We'll also do intense, no rest ten minutes circuits along the lines of 30 seconds burpees, 30 seconds Hindu squats, 30 seconds V sit-ups or similar and 30 seconds press-ups repeated five times through from time to time. Another one that we did last week was as follows:

30 secs burpees

30 secs mountain climbers

30 secs jumping jacks

30 secs press-ups

30 secs squats

30 secs star jumps (proper ones, where you touch your toes at the start of each rep)

Six times through, with short rests between each circuit. I'd really recommend training like this, but if you want to do it properly at home then you'll really need your own interval timer. I use a Gymboss one, which is pretty good and simple to use.

The guys that I know who use weighted vests actually use them when training for MMA fights, so a lot of it's done through their club. If you type 'weighted vests' into Google, you should be able to find a few websites that'll sell them, but I know a lot of people who've had bad experiences with ordering that kind of thing online.

What are the benefits of weighted vests and where can you get them?

Konrad, you could try gumtree for some cheap weights. Buy them once and you save loads on the gym.

If you wear a weighted vest when out running then it's basically just a much harder workout as you're (obviously) having to carry a heavier weight with you. In simple terms, that means that you'll burn more calories/fat, especially as the fact that you can burn the same amount in a shorter time will lessen the catabolic effect of prolonged cardio training (burning muscle as well as fat, leaving you looking 'skinnyfat'). You'll also feel like superman when you start running without the vest on!

They're not cheap, though...

Snake Plissken

Today's lunchtime pain

25 pull ups

50 squats with 60kg - done in a set of 20 and two sets of 15 (very brief rests of about 15-20 seconds)

50 box jumps

50 press ups

50 cable crunches w/35kg

50 clean and press w/18kg dumbbell - 25 per arm done in two sets of 10 and one set of 5

25 pull ups

A slight variation on the 300 workout which I was planning to do again but couldn't because it was too busy to get the equipment I needed. I like the variation and intensity and the fact I can do it in a lunch hour. That's the one thing I do like about the current job: the close proximity of the gym meaning lunch hours and going straight after work are easy.

Konrad von Carstein

Thanks for all the responses guys....I was wary of ordering the vest on-line for the very reason pointed out by CL above and was looking for a recommendation...would be good to see the thing before buying though.

Will also have a look on gumtree.

Done a weights session today for the first time in a few weeks after concentrating on cardio. Thought I was going to die. Seem to have lost a lot of strength as well.

Is there any point in doing weights now and again? I'm really into cardio at the moment and can't be arsed with weights if truth be told.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Is there any point in doing weights now and again? I'm really into cardio at the moment and can't be arsed with weights if truth be told.

I'd quite like an answer to that too. Loving my running, hate doing weights