Jump to content

Fitness Thread


Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Recommended Posts

davie1980
On 15/07/2021 at 10:32, RustyRightPeg said:

Hi folks.

 

advice wanted. What’s a reasonable price for a PT block? I’ve been quoted £320 for 11 sessions.

 

cheers 

 

Probably about right, PT's are a total ****ing rip off

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Creepy Lurker

    598

  • Sten Guns

    425

  • RS86

    334

  • Snake Plissken

    289

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I need to start taking protein again. Got out of the habit but it helps to add bulk and speeds up muscle recovery.   The downside is that you have to drop anchor in Poo bay a lot more than normal!

Posted Images

RustyRightPeg
8 hours ago, davie1980 said:

 

Probably about right, PT's are a total ****ing rip off


I went for it. Got 11 sessions and I have to disagree. 
 

He’s pushed me to my limit and I’ve never felt better if I’m honest. 

Was always a confidence thing at the gym for me and he’s also teaching me proper form and technique for using the equipment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
davie1980
6 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:


I went for it. Got 11 sessions and I have to disagree. 
 

He’s pushed me to my limit and I’ve never felt better if I’m honest. 

Was always a confidence thing at the gym for me and he’s also teaching me proper form and technique for using the equipment. 

 

Each to their own.

 

If that's what you need it's probably worth it, I just find them very expensive. My missus uses one and I always wonder what she gets to justify the cost?

 

I know how to push myself hard in the gym and see little benefit to another guy trying to push me to go harder.

 

And for years I was always a member of a small gym where the staff would actively coach members, run you through programmes and teach good form. They'd never walk by a machine if they saw someone flailing about like a *****.

 

Having said all that, I'm now a member of the Xcite chain in west lothain, where everyone is left to their own devices. The amount of shocking technique you see in a gym like that I start to see there is a place for personal training.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chip in my tuppence worth of more nonsense I've been up to...

 

One day, 7 mountains. 
📌An caisteal 995m
📌Beinn Chabhair 933m
📌Beinn A'chroin 941m
📌Beinn Tulaichean 946m
📌Cruach Adrain 1046m
📌Stob Binnein 1165m
📌Ben More 1174m
What an absolute beast of a route. This pushed me physically and mentally (so many up and downs into the bealachs or to the base and back up).

FB_IMG_1628628139137.thumb.jpg.025fdccc2442419ac585b64f68bac3b8.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2021 at 11:27, RustyRightPeg said:


I went for it. Got 11 sessions and I have to disagree. 
 

He’s pushed me to my limit and I’ve never felt better if I’m honest. 

Was always a confidence thing at the gym for me and he’s also teaching me proper form and technique for using the equipment. 

 

Certainly a good thing to get your confidence up and get that extra bit of effort out of yourself. Key thing is the form and technique though, and it's well worth investing in to get that right. Good on you for going for it, it is a lot of money to use a PT but after the first block you may well not feel the need to continue with it and can crack on yourself 

 

Investing in yourself is always a good way to spend money if you've got it. Loads of people spend 1000s of hours in gyms and never get the most out of it because simply put they think they know what they're doing but often don't.

 

It's also quite good fun having a trainer to give you guidance and feedback.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2021 at 21:45, Alan_R said:

Chip in my tuppence worth of more nonsense I've been up to...

 

One day, 7 mountains. 
📌An caisteal 995m
📌Beinn Chabhair 933m
📌Beinn A'chroin 941m
📌Beinn Tulaichean 946m
📌Cruach Adrain 1046m
📌Stob Binnein 1165m
📌Ben More 1174m
What an absolute beast of a route. This pushed me physically and mentally (so many up and downs into the bealachs or to the base and back up).

FB_IMG_1628628139137.thumb.jpg.025fdccc2442419ac585b64f68bac3b8.jpg

Wow indeed. That is one hell of a route. Took me 5 different trips to do these. Do you have the stats to hand, time, distance, ascent? I guess you're actively bagging the Munros? If you are, what are you up to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
On 10/08/2021 at 21:45, Alan_R said:

Chip in my tuppence worth of more nonsense I've been up to...

 

One day, 7 mountains. 
📌An caisteal 995m
📌Beinn Chabhair 933m
📌Beinn A'chroin 941m
📌Beinn Tulaichean 946m
📌Cruach Adrain 1046m
📌Stob Binnein 1165m
📌Ben More 1174m
What an absolute beast of a route. This pushed me physically and mentally (so many up and downs into the bealachs or to the base and back up).

FB_IMG_1628628139137.thumb.jpg.025fdccc2442419ac585b64f68bac3b8.jpg

:clap:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1953 said:

Wow indeed. That is one hell of a route. Took me 5 different trips to do these. Do you have the stats to hand, time, distance, ascent? I guess you're actively bagging the Munros? If you are, what are you up to.

 

I turned strava off at Ben more summit as my phone was draining battery. So doesn't include the long descent off Ben more. Needless to say elapsed time was a lot longer.

 

For bagging think I'm up to mid-late 30s. Don't think I've hit 40 yet, You? 

 

My strava (albeit seems flawed)

 

Screenshot_20210814-200603.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

 

I turned strava off at Ben more summit as my phone was draining battery. So doesn't include the long descent off Ben more. Needless to say elapsed time was a lot longer.

 

For bagging think I'm up to mid-late 30s. Don't think I've hit 40 yet, You? 

 

My strava (albeit seems flawed)

 

Screenshot_20210814-200603.png

That's an excellent ave speed over that distance and elevation gain, way beyond my capabilities. I compleated the munros in 2012. Took me about 15 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1953 said:

That's an excellent ave speed over that distance and elevation gain, way beyond my capabilities. I compleated the munros in 2012. Took me about 15 years. 

👏👏 A completist, well done! Ive only been doing them around a year. Along side getting fit during the last lockdown. Still got a bit weight to shift but endurance is definitely improving.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alan_R said:

👏👏 A completist, well done! Ive only been doing them around a year. Along side getting fit during the last lockdown. Still got a bit weight to shift but endurance is definitely improving.

I pretty much stuck to the SMC book routes and got round them that way but you'll do them much quicker if you're capable of big routes like that one. I've done another half a round since compleation, helping a friend to finish them off, only 9 to go, and I'm close to compleating the Donalds myself. Keep it going and above all, have fun as that's what it's all about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
joondalupjambo
On 15/08/2021 at 08:14, 1953 said:

I pretty much stuck to the SMC book routes and got round them that way but you'll do them much quicker if you're capable of big routes like that one. I've done another half a round since compleation, helping a friend to finish them off, only 9 to go, and I'm close to compleating the Donalds myself. Keep it going and above all, have fun as that's what it's all about. 

Well done.  Interested to hear your thoughts on the purist's view of doing them, i.e. no biking in to the base of hills, no canoe's up loch's to start points and Hugh himself not doing the In Pin so not a Munro.  I am 245 but now have lost the bottle on heights so with most left to do on Syke and a few very, very remote ones do not think I will manage now.  Mid 60's and although still pretty fit, I can walk forever on the flat but grind to a quick halt on the up slope!!  So think I can just about call it a day. 

 

I had not done a new one since 1996 and then got two this summer, long story as was not always living in Scotland.  I wanted to take my son up as he has only done a handful so thought best get a couple I had not done and make the long trip worthwhile.  Maybe get a few more but as I say Skye no chance.

 

As you say all about having fun, rather do that now than ticking off things in a book.

Edited by joondalupjambo
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Well done.  Interested to hear your thoughts on the purist's view of doing them, i.e. no biking in to the base of hills, no canoe's up loch's to start points and Hugh himself not doing the In Pin so not a Munro.  I am 245 but now have lost the bottle on heights so with most left to do on Syke and a few very, very remote ones do not think I will manage now.  Mid 60's and although still pretty fit, I can walk forever on the flat but grind to a quick halt on the up slope!!  So think I can just about call it a day. 

 

I had not done a new one since 1996 and then got two this summer, long story as was not always living in Scotland.  I wanted to take my son up as he has only done a handful so thought best get a couple I had not done and make the long trip worthwhile.  Maybe get a few more but as I say Skye no chance.

 

As you say all about having fun, rather do that now than ticking off things in a book.

So sorry to read that you're not going to get your last ones done. I assume you've considered hiring a guide for the Cullin and other exposed ridges. They aren't cheap but do an excellent job of keeping you safe. I only needed a guide for the Innpin as I have a good friend who has lots of rock climbing experience and really helped me with the scrambling on the others and the big exposed ridges. I'm a similar age myself and have 9 Munros to go to help my walking buddy compleate her round. It will probably have to be next year now for one reason and another, but I am a bit concerned how we'll manage on the 3 big Torridon ridges 10/11 years after the last time I was on them. 

 

I am not a purist at all and will take any help at all to climb them. In fact I always felt that cycling in or using a boat added to the occasion and made it a bit different and indeed special. I have bagged 141, which is exactly half of a second round but some of those were done before my first compleation so I've no problem with opting for the 'bankers' method of adding then to the balance rather than the 'golfers' method where you can't start a second round till you've compleated the first.

 

As for calling it a day there are plenty of other hills to try. I'm about 3/4 way through the Donalds and while they are not as spectacular as some of the Munros still give excellent hill days without the height and exposure as most are just big round heathery lumps.   

Anyway, whatever you decide have fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
joondalupjambo
18 hours ago, 1953 said:

So sorry to read that you're not going to get your last ones done. I assume you've considered hiring a guide for the Cullin and other exposed ridges. They aren't cheap but do an excellent job of keeping you safe. I only needed a guide for the Innpin as I have a good friend who has lots of rock climbing experience and really helped me with the scrambling on the others and the big exposed ridges. I'm a similar age myself and have 9 Munros to go to help my walking buddy compleate her round. It will probably have to be next year now for one reason and another, but I am a bit concerned how we'll manage on the 3 big Torridon ridges 10/11 years after the last time I was on them. 

 

I am not a purist at all and will take any help at all to climb them. In fact I always felt that cycling in or using a boat added to the occasion and made it a bit different and indeed special. I have bagged 141, which is exactly half of a second round but some of those were done before my first compleation so I've no problem with opting for the 'bankers' method of adding then to the balance rather than the 'golfers' method where you can't start a second round till you've compleated the first.

 

As for calling it a day there are plenty of other hills to try. I'm about 3/4 way through the Donalds and while they are not as spectacular as some of the Munros still give excellent hill days without the height and exposure as most are just big round heathery lumps.   

Anyway, whatever you decide have fun.

Yeah the guide option was on the cards before I left to live overseas but then when I got back many years later my fear of heights had kicked in.  I have no idea why that came about because I had done most of the main mainland scrambles and narrow ridged Munro's previously with only the usual minor worries as you would expect on those.  I was on holiday in Switzerland when I discovered the problem, was only wandering up a hill side there when all of a sudden I got dizzy, like vertigo stuff, weird.  It was the fact that I was only wandering up a well defined track, albeit at a fair height that shocked me. especially considering what I had previously managed.

 

As I said I may get a few more of the remote ones that I have not done but reckon calling it a day on the others is just what I need to do.  Might try to get to 250 as a nice round number.  Still plenty other stuff out there to whet my appetite though, so many long distance paths and other types of routes now and that choice is more than enough to keep me going.   We did Largo to Crail on Sunday, 16 odd miles so distance as I said is no problem.

 

Enjoy the next 9 tops and sure that with only those to go you will have success in Torridon.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

What would you guys consider to be a reasonably fast time for a 5km?

 

Not pushing my lifts as much and working more on my general fitness currently and I quite fancy this as a little challenge alongside my training.

Link to post
Share on other sites
joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, RS86 said:

What would you guys consider to be a reasonably fast time for a 5km?

 

Not pushing my lifts as much and working more on my general fitness currently and I quite fancy this as a little challenge alongside my training.

 

My 67 year old wife runs it, no stopping in 29 minutes 20 seconds so there is a target for you :robboyas:

 

If you have a look at https://www.parkrun.org.uk/ or https://runninglevel.com/running-times/5k-times and https://ukfitnessevents.co.uk/fitness/average-5k-time/ assuming you have not already done so then it will give you some idea of times based on age groups.  Hard to say what is fast with so many variables by person but within 20 to 25 minutes has to be good I would have thought for an average joe.  

Edited by joondalupjambo
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

 

My 67 year old wife runs it, no stopping in 29 minutes 20 seconds so there is a target for you :robboyas:

 

If you have a look at https://www.parkrun.org.uk/ or https://runninglevel.com/running-times/5k-times and https://ukfitnessevents.co.uk/fitness/average-5k-time/ assuming you have not already done so then it will give you some idea of times based on age groups.  Hard to say what is fast with so many variables by person but within 20 to 25 minutes has to be good I would have thought for an average joe.  

 

Agreed. 20 - 25 is a good place to aim for if you're outside of that currently.

 

Sub 20 is fast. Faster than I got to when I was trying to be faster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

 

My 67 year old wife runs it, no stopping in 29 minutes 20 seconds so there is a target for you :robboyas:

 

If you have a look at https://www.parkrun.org.uk/ or https://runninglevel.com/running-times/5k-times and https://ukfitnessevents.co.uk/fitness/average-5k-time/ assuming you have not already done so then it will give you some idea of times based on age groups.  Hard to say what is fast with so many variables by person but within 20 to 25 minutes has to be good I would have thought for an average joe.  

 

That sounds like a good target tbh as not sure I could manage must faster than 30 mins! I was thinking more 40-45 haha. I'm quite a bit younger but currently sitting at 93kg at 5' 8 so i'm a bit of a lump lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RS86 said:

 

That sounds like a good target tbh as not sure I could manage must faster than 30 mins! I was thinking more 40-45 haha. I'm quite a bit younger but currently sitting at 93kg at 5' 8 so i'm a bit of a lump lol

 

You'll be amazed at how fast your times come down 👍👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Steady at 23 minutes, a bit quicker 18 to 20. Any faster, join an athletics club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
joondalupjambo
17 hours ago, RS86 said:

 

That sounds like a good target tbh as not sure I could manage must faster than 30 mins! I was thinking more 40-45 haha. I'm quite a bit younger but currently sitting at 93kg at 5' 8 so i'm a bit of a lump lol

Good on you, just give a go and you will soon see your first time drop.  My wife's pal who does the 5km runs on the same days is not far off your height and size wise is a shade less 😀  She is around the 52 age Mark and started at 45 minutes and is now down to 40 minutes after three races.  As long as folk are trying then nobody should feel bad about anything.  Good luck and come back on with how you are going.

 

Edited by joondalupjambo
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Good on you, just give a go and you will soon see your first time drop.  My wife's pal who does the 5km runs on the same days is not far off your height and size wise is a shade less 😀  She is around the 52 age Mark and started at 45 minutes and is now down to 40 minutes after three races.  As long as folk are trying then nobody should feel bad about anything.  Good luck and come back on with how you are going.

 

 

That's good progression tbh trimming 5 mins off in 3 races 👍. Hopefully won't take me long to progress.

 

I'll need to drop a bit of muscle to get the times right down near the 30 min mark I reckon, we will see if my ego allows it after a few weeks :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RS86 said:

 

That's good progression tbh trimming 5 mins off in 3 races 👍. Hopefully won't take me long to progress.

 

I'll need to drop a bit of muscle to get the times right down near the 30 min mark I reckon, we will see if my ego allows it after a few weeks :lol:

 

How many km's have you got under your belt? If not many you'll probably be fine maintaining your mass in all honesty and you'll just get better at running with time. You'll probably never be sub <20 as a big guy but I reckon 5 minute splits would be doable.

Whilst he's obviously a bit of an extreme example, guys like Ross Edgeley can lay down some seriously quick times when running despite their size.

Edited by Taffin
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

 

How many km's have you got under your belt? If not many you'll probably be fine maintaining your mass in all honesty and you'll just get better at running with time. You'll probably never be sub <20 as a big guy but I reckon 5 minute splits would be doable.

Whilst he's obviously a bit of an extreme example, guys like Ross Edgeley can lay down some seriously quick times when running despite their size.

Very little recently tbh. I've been doing 10km on the crosstrainer past couple weeks (not even comparable to getting out for a run though) just to try and prepare myself for running but need to get some suitable footwear before I start setting times. Reason i'm limiting it to 5km is so it hopefully doesn't have a major impact as i'd still like to do some lifting alongside too.

 

I've seen both him and that Nick Bare chap. Those guys are insanely fit!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Very little recently tbh. I've been doing 10km on the crosstrainer past couple weeks (not even comparable to getting out for a run though) just to try and prepare myself for running but need to get some suitable footwear before I start setting times. Reason i'm limiting it to 5km is so it hopefully doesn't have a major impact as i'd still like to do some lifting alongside too.

 

I've seen both him and that Nick Bare chap. Those guys are insanely fit!

 

You'll be fine then. Better footwear and 10 - 15km a week and in 4-6 weeks you'll have your time right down 👍👍

 

Build up slowly though, I'd do 3, 3km runs for the first week or so. Or use the couch to 5km app, it's slow progress and you likely won't need to start at the beginning but when I used it my first full 5km ran was c.30 mins. It eases you in nicely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m at gym just now watching someone do squat jumps with 100kg barbell. 
 

That explosive muscle twit h right there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m at gym just now watching someone do squat jumps with 100kg barbell. 
 

That explosive muscle twit h right there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m at gym just now watching someone do squat jumps with 100kg barbell. 
 

That explosive muscle twit h right there. 

 

That would fold me up like a pocket square upon landing.

 

 

Not that I'd be able to lift it up anyway. My explosive twitch muscle is akin to a damp squib 🙁 

 

 

Please say your next post was going to be you're looking in the mirror?!? 😂

Edited by Taffin
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

 

That would fold me up like a pocket square upon landing.

 

 

Not that I'd be able to lift it up anyway. My explosive twitch muscle is akin to a damp squib 🙁 

 

 

Please say your next post was going to be you're looking in the mirror?!? 😂


I wish it was me. It was impressive as hell. 
 

I’m far from explosive. The weight wouldn’t be a issue but I don’t think I have the fast twitch to allow me to explode from the bottom of that squat. 
 

Its also the exact opposite of how I squat. I tend to focus on time under tension as opposed to explosive movements. Though probably should focus on explosive movement more tbh. 



 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
On 09/09/2021 at 16:27, Taffin said:

 

Agreed. 20 - 25 is a good place to aim for if you're outside of that currently.

 

Sub 20 is fast. Faster than I got to when I was trying to be faster.

 

I got down to 19 mins and 4 seconds a couple of years ago on the treadmill with a small uphill gradient, although I was on a boat so the gradient was always changing.

I was 45 at the time and had been doing around 30 mins the month previously, I just started chipping away at it every second day and throwing in the odd 10k & 15k to work on stamina.

Couldn't get close to that now. Managed 24 mins 18 seconds last week and it was tough. Again on a boat.

My best street time is around the 22 minute mark, but there are a lot of hills around my way.

 

The trick I've found is to persevere until it's no longer the worst half hour of your life and you actually start to enjoy it.

That takes a little bit of dedication, and unfortunately I don't have the time to commit to it nowadays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
34 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:


I wish it was me. It was impressive as hell. 
 

I’m far from explosive. The weight wouldn’t be a issue but I don’t think I have the fast twitch to allow me to explode from the bottom of that squat. 
 

Its also the exact opposite of how I squat. I tend to focus on time under tension as opposed to explosive movements. Though probably should focus on explosive movement more tbh. 



 

 

 

My squatting is confined to the toilets in seedy Asian drinking dens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

 

I got down to 19 mins and 4 seconds a couple of years ago on the treadmill with a small uphill gradient, although I was on a boat so the gradient was always changing.

I was 45 at the time and had been doing around 30 mins the month previously, I just started chipping away at it every second day and throwing in the odd 10k & 15k to work on stamina.

Couldn't get close to that now. Managed 24 mins 18 seconds last week and it was tough. Again on a boat.

My best street time is around the 22 minute mark, but there are a lot of hills around my way.

 

The trick I've found is to persevere until it's no longer the worst half hour of your life and you actually start to enjoy it.

That takes a little bit of dedication, and unfortunately I don't have the time to commit to it nowadays.

 

Good advice right there, especially the bit in bold. It also highlights how quickly you can bring the time down by sticking at it. That said 19m4s is some going at any any age, let alone 45 when the month before you were running 30 mins. Well played 👍👍👍

 

That's the other thing for people to remember if they're comparing themselves to others...you don't know what the terrain/gradient that person was running on was like so don't beat yourself up if you're slower, or think you're Usain Bolt if you're faster 😂

 

My best was 21 something on a park run which had a hill and was largely on grass. I also have never gone faster than 23 on the route I do locally which is loose gravel and tow paths. Always look to improve your own time, and don't worry about others.

 

What always motivated me was to remember that the quicker I got then the less time I'd have to run for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/09/2021 at 12:35, RS86 said:

What would you guys consider to be a reasonably fast time for a 5km?

 

Not pushing my lifts as much and working more on my general fitness currently and I quite fancy this as a little challenge alongside my training.

Most averagely fit folk, non runners should aim under 30mins

 

Under 20mins is fast for casual runners

 

I've been powering the distances in but can't get my 5km under my 21-22min personal best

 

Roughly

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried the barbell jump squat. The good news is I’m still alive but I will never try again. Tried a little bit of a variation of it with the trap bar, which is more manageable but getting any real weight of it was beyond me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Talk about exercises you will never do again. Upright rows is mine.

Me too. Was using a 20kg kettlebell and it gvae me serious pain in my right trap. Didn't realise that's what it was until I did some Googling. Never again. Bent over rows with DB or BB only now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Me too. Was using a 20kg kettlebell and it gvae me serious pain in my right trap. Didn't realise that's what it was until I did some Googling. Never again. Bent over rows with DB or BB only now.

 

I quite like a unilateral bent over row, in fact I strongly favour it to a normal one I use my kettlebell for them as I prefer the handle. Might be worth a try if you want use out of the kettlebell 😂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...