Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

7 hours ago, mbhmfc said:

At that age only thing I would personally advise (others might not) would be to stay away from pre-workouts, some of them have extremely high caffeine content that affects fully grown adults let alone kids. 

There are quiet a few on the market with some questionable ingredients which aren't hard to get your hands on too, but way stronger than caffeine.

How do you find the motivation to go to the gym and workout? I'm usually in work Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm then after I'm burst and weekends is spent doing fun stuff with the kids. Just can't seem to fit it in. 

On 22/09/2023 at 11:51, AndyNic said:

How do you find the motivation to go to the gym and workout? I'm usually in work Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm then after I'm burst and weekends is spent doing fun stuff with the kids. Just can't seem to fit it in. 

Depends how much you want it really. If you are burst after work then you need to go before it. 

As Arnold said, everyone has the same 24 hours - 8 work, 6 sleep. That's 10 hours to fit an hour in for the gym.

3 hours ago, 151 said:

Depends how much you want it really.

100% this. You need to think what's your reason for going and if you've got a good enough reason you'll go.

For me it's just part of my routine and an outlet to what's an otherwise pretty stressful life, but I have the added element of competing that drives me to keep going even when I don't feel like it, because if I don't I will underperform.

Sorry if this isn’t aloud/against board rules and please remove if so. I’m running Scottish half marathon tomorrow, which is my first official run. Up until June this year the furthest I’d ever ran was a 5k but decided to try push myself and have made it up to 10 miles. On Easter Monday I lost my dad to suicide aged 57, it was completely out of the blue and an incredible shock. He was an army veteran, ex prison guard and overall the last person you’d expect. So I am fundraising for Health in mind Scotland, I don’t mean to get the begging bowl out but with mental health the smallest thing can make a difference, who knows it can save someone’s life. I know it’s a hard time so I’m not expecting donations from anyone but if anyone wants to help a fellow jambo out you can do so at the link. With things like this though just spreading the word is powerful. Depression is real, mental health is important and suicide does happen ( far too frequently) Thank you 🇱🇻

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Stephen-Mallin1?utm_campaign=lc_frp_share_transaction_fundraiser_page_donation_received_-_nth_donation&utm_content=c23d3d94-07ee-4fd4-8dcd-13201b20d284&utm_medium=email&utm_source=postoffice&utm_term=1695499314172

43 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Sorry if this isn’t aloud/against board rules and please remove if so. I’m running Scottish half marathon tomorrow, which is my first official run. Up until June this year the furthest I’d ever ran was a 5k but decided to try push myself and have made it up to 10 miles. On Easter Monday I lost my dad to suicide aged 57, it was completely out of the blue and an incredible shock. He was an army veteran, ex prison guard and overall the last person you’d expect. So I am fundraising for Health in mind Scotland, I don’t mean to get the begging bowl out but with mental health the smallest thing can make a difference, who knows it can save someone’s life. I know it’s a hard time so I’m not expecting donations from anyone but if anyone wants to help a fellow jambo out you can do so at the link. With things like this though just spreading the word is powerful. Depression is real, mental health is important and suicide does happen ( far too frequently) Thank you 🇱🇻

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Stephen-Mallin1?utm_campaign=lc_frp_share_transaction_fundraiser_page_donation_received_-_nth_donation&utm_content=c23d3d94-07ee-4fd4-8dcd-13201b20d284&utm_medium=email&utm_source=postoffice&utm_term=1695499314172

Best of luck with this and run your heart out. Will the sponsor link still be open after the run?

I've lost people very close to me through suicide and it's such an epidemic. Sorry for your loss and you get my respect for doing something to try and support a cause that can hopefully make a difference for some families.

8 hours ago, RS86 said:

Best of luck with this and run your heart out. Will the sponsor link still be open after the run?

I've lost people very close to me through suicide and it's such an epidemic. Sorry for your loss and you get my respect for doing something to try and support a cause that can hopefully make a difference for some families.

Hi mate I really appreciate that, really do. I’m keeping the page open until October 10th if you want to donate, really grateful 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 22/09/2023 at 11:51, AndyNic said:

Picking up on this old post, i was similar many years ago, but someone did say to me you will have so much more energy than you think.

True to his word, once I started going to the gym regularly i realised i had way more energy and now I mentally and physically expect it every week, so it's no longer the task it used to be.

The last 12 months I've adopted the Dorian Yates method, go hard and go home.

I generally do 3 or 4 weights/machines and then leave the gym. 1 warm up set then go heavy for 3.

For cardio I walk the dog, without him I probably wouldn't walk half as much!

Edited by VALDOS'

On 19/11/2023 at 12:03, VALDOS' said:

Picking up on this old post, i was similar many years ago, but someone did say to me you will have so much more energy than you think.

True to his word, once I started going to the gym regularly i realised i had way more energy and now I mentally and physically expect it every week, so it's no longer the task it used to be.

The last 12 months I've adopted the Dorian Yates method, go hard and go home.

I generally do 3 or 4 weights/machines and then leave the gym. 1 warm up set then go heavy for 3.

For cardio I walk the dog, without him I probably wouldn't walk half as much!

Having a routine is what works for me.

I am 4 sessions a week of grappling and sparring and two 2x 2+ hours of weight training. I know if I miss any of them I am sitting in the couch watching tv, which on occasion is needed but the reward for how good you feel after completing your session both mentally and physically outweighs the need for a night off.

Saying that I am 36 and my body is pretty f*cked after 10 plus years of combat sports, dreading the day when I need to take the foot of gas and fully expecting some dark days. 

Captain Sausage

Hyrox on Sunday! Can’t wait, it’s incredible what a difference training for competition does for motivation!

On 21/11/2023 at 21:06, Captain Sausage said:

Hyrox on Sunday! Can’t wait, it’s incredible what a difference training for competition does for motivation!

Good luck. Absolutely, makes all the difference. I think it keeps you more accountable on those days you can't quite be bothered.

I've started training strongman again after a very successful year in powerlifting. I want to see if I can have one more run at it before I am too old and broken 😅

Have been plagued with knee problems over the last few months so have decided to run a course of peptides (BPC-157) , im pretty late to the party amongst my team but will be interesting to see how it affects my torn meniscus, torn bicep and what is prob arthritis in my wrists.

6 hours ago, Americana said:

Have been plagued with knee problems over the last few months so have decided to run a course of peptides (BPC-157) , im pretty late to the party amongst my team but will be interesting to see how it affects my torn meniscus, torn bicep and what is prob arthritis in my wrists.

My mate used this last year on a forearm injury that had been bothering him for months and said it cleared it within a couple of weeks! He's away over to the US currently to compete at Official Strongman Worlds.

17 hours ago, RS86 said:

My mate used this last year on a forearm injury that had been bothering him for months and said it cleared it within a couple of weeks! He's away over to the US currently to compete at Official Strongman Worlds.

Been a frustrating months, missing comps and struggling with training. Id have a bit more patience had this came along in my 20s. Will report back see how it goes.

I've enjoyed a largely injury free year with the highlights being winning a 4th Scottish title, a European title and a 755kg powerlifting total. So my best year to date by some way.

And yet somehow I've put my back out this morning... when sitting on the toilet. Not even kidding, FFS 🤦‍♂️

Edited by RS86

• 1 month later...
On 23/09/2010 at 20:41, Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC said:

Can't search or I would've bumped the last one. I quite like a wee bit of banter about exercise, ken?

Just went and bought a weight bench from Argos (decent deal btw, the bench and 35kg of weights for ?50) and I've decided to start getting serious about getting in shape. I used to just lift weights now and again but now I've got the bench I've started a full body workout 3 times a week.

For those who are in to it ... how quickly should you be lifting heavier? Are we talking about adding weight every week or just when you feel the time is right?

Do you think it's worth doing a bit of jogging as well or just stick with the weights? Usually play fives once a week ... dunno if that's enough cardio.

Have a Chieftain once a year - can recommend Jacqui Bird at new year - sorted

ri Alban

Good to finally watch the Hun Prick lose his WSM title. Nothing worse than someone born in Scotland flagshagging the English flag.

On 01/01/2024 at 21:05, ri Alban said:

Good to finally watch the Hun Prick lose his WSM title. Nothing worse than someone born in Scotland flagshagging the English flag.

WSM takes place in May, so that happened 7 months ago.

They just don't show it on council telly until Xmas because "tradition"

ri Alban
On 29/11/2023 at 15:28, RS86 said:

I've enjoyed a largely injury free year with the highlights being winning a 4th Scottish title, a European title and a 755kg powerlifting total. So my best year to date by some way.

And yet somehow I've put my back out this morning... when sitting on the toilet. Not even kidding, FFS 🤦‍♂️

Alright Bud. Can I ask you something? SARMS what are they and are they dangerous.  

Got myself a new Arnie encyclopedia,  watching some motivation and thinking about getting some T boosters and hitting the gym. Need to get myself fit as at the age of 50 I'm starting to struggle,  especially with the condition I am in. 

I've never taken anything before, but I think a wee bit of help might be required. 

Edited by ri Alban

ri Alban
12 hours ago, Cade said:

WSM takes place in May, so that happened 7 months ago.

They just don't show it on council telly until Xmas because "tradition"

Yeah, I know,  but I hadn't watched it yet.

April

Edited by ri Alban

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

SARMS are similar to anabolic steroids, however, they are more specific in the receptors use. Essentially steroids alter the whole body SARMS are specific to certain areas ie. Bones, muscles. Therefore, they are generally viewed as ‘safer’ but still same/similar side effects. Don’t think they are legal in the UK. 

I don’t think T boosters are very effective. If you’re hoping to get similar results to steroids or SARMS. No chance in hell. Just bite the bullet and jab up 😂

I’m on a TRT (testerone replacement therapy) it’s done legally via a private doctor. I basically inject testerone a couple of times a week to achieve optimal levels. Mybloods are tested every 3 months etc so as to make sure no issue. I didn’t do it for ‘aesthetic’ reasons albeit it did figure into my thinking. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by my experience things like mental sharpness and drive have improved dramatically. I wouldn’t say I feel like a teenager again (well apart from the erections and my libido which is off the charts) but I do feel about 20 years younger. 😀

Im a little bit early for physical changes but I suspect to notice a bit more next few months due to time been on it and just as a result of living a healthy lifestyle.  

Anyway, off to do my morning AMRAP workout. 

TRT may be an option for you if you are looking for a lift in gym so to speak. 

@ri Alban this pretty much covers it. From what I know of Sarms it's pretty much same side effects as using steroids with less results, so from a risk/reward perspective they aren't great. Since it's an unregulated market you don't really know what you are getting either. They are very easy to get hold of however as there are lots of sellers/websites in the UK which is why I think they are popular.

The TRT suggestion sounds a good one. This is likely something i'll explore in the next 10 years or so. Far more research and you'd be under medical guidance at least.

ri Alban
3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

SARMS are similar to anabolic steroids, however, they are more specific in the receptors use. Essentially steroids alter the whole body SARMS are specific to certain areas ie. Bones, muscles. Therefore, they are generally viewed as ‘safer’ but still same/similar side effects. Don’t think they are legal in the UK. 

I don’t think T boosters are very effective. If you’re hoping to get similar results to steroids or SARMS. No chance in hell. Just bite the bullet and jab up 😂

I’m on a TRT (testerone replacement therapy) it’s done legally via a private doctor. I basically inject testerone a couple of times a week to achieve optimal levels. Mybloods are tested every 3 months etc so as to make sure no issue. I didn’t do it for ‘aesthetic’ reasons albeit it did figure into my thinking. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by my experience things like mental sharpness and drive have improved dramatically. I wouldn’t say I feel like a teenager again (well apart from the erections and my libido which is off the charts) but I do feel about 20 years younger. 😀

Im a little bit early for physical changes but I suspect to notice a bit more next few months due to time been on it and just as a result of living a healthy lifestyle.  

Anyway, off to do my morning AMRAP workout. 

TRT may be an option for you if you are looking for a lift in gym so to speak. 

👍Cheers Bud. Im just looked to get rid of this eternal tiredness I've had since covid times.

ri Alban
3 hours ago, RS86 said:

@ri Alban this pretty much covers it. From what I know of Sarms it's pretty much same side effects as using steroids with less results, so from a risk/reward perspective they aren't great. Since it's an unregulated market you don't really know what you are getting either. They are very easy to get hold of however as there are lots of sellers/websites in the UK which is why I think they are popular.

The TRT suggestion sounds a good one. This is likely something i'll explore in the next 10 years or so. Far more research and you'd be under medical guidance at least.

👍 

TRT ? My doctor is torture to get anything off of.

ri Alban
49 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’ve found TRT to be a very positive experience and I’m about 3 month in. Energy levels, moods and mental focus have improved dramatically. Whilst it’s had numerous other benefits. 

You’ll need to do it privately. You can get TRT on NHS, the protocol is so bad makes it almost ineffective plus a bundle of hoops to go through. Whilst you probably want to be at optimal levels. There are loads of online clinics available who can do it for a monthly cost, albeit you will have extras on top of your monthly. So it’s a financial commitment and probably about £100 upwards a months dependent on what else take, bloods, etc etc. 

If you seriously considering it, drop me a pm with any questions and I can outline process for you. Though do a bit of research online and you’ll quickly figure out if it’s something that interests you. 

Oh one last thing you can’t really bevvy on it. You can but you’ll effectively nullify the effects due to a dramatic increase in estrogen production. 

👍 Thanks bud.

Captain Sausage

Got a few gym goals this year:

1) Sub 1h20 mens singles Hyrox

2) Gymnast ring muscle up

3) 50m handstand walk

4) 100kg clean (this should be easy, but I get in my head anytime I get over 80kg and struggle to get under the bar)

5) Dubai Turf games, place top half of everyday category.

Will be a good year if I can hit all 5 of them!

Jamhammer

I’ve re-joined Nuffield at Chesser

Started doing yoga

Lovin it along with the steam after 😀

ri Alban
On 04/01/2024 at 19:38, Captain Sausage said:

3) 50m handstand walk

4) 100kg clean (this should be easy, but I get in my head anytime I get over 80kg and struggle to get under the bar)

Rishi says 'Haud ma beer'

3) 50m handstand walk

Good on you. Hope you smash these 👍

Kennedy Bakircioglu

3) 50m handstand walk

9 hours ago, RS86 said:

Good on you. Hope you smash these 👍

@Captain Sausage I can do a 100kg clean and some bar muscle ups, but can't do gymnastic rings muscle ups and a million miles away from doing a 50m handstand walk! Good luck with them all. Hope you get them!

@RS86 I love your continued commitment to encouraging others on this thread and keeping it going - and really enjoy how you encourage everyone regardless of which sport/activity/level etc. Good stuff 

il Duce McTarkin

Off the sauce till June. Youngest laddie starts nursery on Wednesday so I get some of my life back. Hope to change body composition back to something resembling pre-pandemic shape with a mixture of resistance and cardio training. Diet should look after itself without the dead calories from bevvy and the associated poor dietry choices. Would be nice to hit sub 20 min 5ks again on a regular basis. At kicking 50 TRT should prob be something to consider, but my levels will be rebounding something rotten from no longer being an utter jake anyway. Looking forward to the challenges ahead.

ri Alban
6 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Off the sauce till June. Youngest laddie starts nursery on Wednesday so I get some of my life back. Hope to change body composition back to something resembling pre-pandemic shape with a mixture of resistance and cardio training. Diet should look after itself without the dead calories from bevvy and the associated poor dietry choices. Would be nice to hit sub 20 min 5ks again on a regular basis. At kicking 50 TRT should prob be something to consider, but my levels will be rebounding something rotten from no longer being an utter jake anyway. Looking forward to the challenges ahead.

Good luck, Gov. 👍

il Duce McTarkin
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Good luck, Gov. 👍

Cheers ausseh.

My Mrs has piled it on since we've had kids and is also keen to lose a few stone, so I'm going all-in in an attempt to help her too. Lead by example. I can generally get away with a lot more than she can and that's just genetics, but she finds this really disheartening at times. Booked a holiday in the sun for June to give her something to aim for. I'm 69kg at the moment and built like a racing snake, but would like to be around 75 come the summer. If she can drop a stone or two I'm certain it'll give her the impetus to keep going.

ri Alban
2 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Cheers ausseh.

My Mrs has piled it on since we've had kids and is also keen to lose a few stone, so I'm going all-in in an attempt to help her too. Lead by example. I can generally get away with a lot more than she can and that's just genetics, but she finds this really disheartening at times. Booked a holiday in the sun for June to give her something to aim for. I'm 69kg at the moment and built like a racing snake, but would like to be around 75 come the summer. If she can drop a stone or two I'm certain it'll give her the impetus to keep going.

👍

Sooperstar

I've been a member of Juvenate at the Capital Hotel/Leonardo 'Murrayfield' for about 6 years now but just never got back into it after Covid. Have now joined David Lloyd to get my motivation back again so will see how that works out. My body is certainly feeling the effects of my 2 visits since joining at the weekend. Will hopefully be able to get into a routine of at least 3 visits a week. 

On 08/01/2024 at 08:51, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

@RS86 I love your continued commitment to encouraging others on this thread and keeping it going - and really enjoy how you encourage everyone regardless of which sport/activity/level etc. Good stuff

Thanks. I'm a big believer that fitness should be accessible to all. And I love seeing people set goals and achieve them because I know how good that feels!

il Duce McTarkin
33 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Shit better dump my diagio shares of back of this news. 

And any Antipodean vineyards.

Americana
On 04/01/2024 at 12:02, ri Alban said:

👍

TRT ? My doctor is torture to get anything off of.

Your doctor wont put you on TRT without significantly low test results, privately however is a different matter , that wont be cheap though. 

Ive started running a slightly higher MG than TRT and occasionally throw in a second compound. Test is the safest option for any PED, obviously tailor it to your needs. TRT is a massive market now, we are way behind than the states but are catching up. If you book your bloods at Randox on Fredrick Street (£40) thats usually the best place to start.

39 minutes ago, Americana said:

Your doctor wont put you on TRT without significantly low test results, privately however is a different matter , that wont be cheap though. 

Ive started running a slightly higher MG than TRT and occasionally throw in a second compound. Test is the safest option for any PED, obviously tailor it to your needs. TRT is a massive market now, we are way behind than the states but are catching up. If you book your bloods at Randox on Fredrick Street (£40) thats usually the best place to start.

Cheers bud.

I'm going to get some tests off my doctor,  cause I can't go on like this much longer. If it's low test, I'll go the route required.

I was fit up until 2016. Since then I've gradually gone down, then got a bad flu the Jan just before covid hit the country in 2020, and my breath hasn't been the same since. And constantly tired. It's making work torture. 

That's enough of my moaning. :D

Edited by ri Alban

Americana
13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Cheers bud.

I'm going to get some tests off my doctor,  cause I can't go on like this much longer. If it's low test, I'll go the route required.

I was fit up until 2016. Since then I've gradually gone down, then got a bad flu the Jan just before covid hit the country in 2020, and my breath hasn't been the same since. And constantly tired. It's making work torture. 

That's enough of my moaning. :D

Test will make you feel like your 21 again. Pre warn your other half 🤣 

4 hours ago, Americana said:

Test will make you feel like your 21 again. Pre warn your other half 🤣 

:yas:

• 3 weeks later...
Dawnrazor

Creatine? Is that a safe thing to be taking, my son has just got some to take, he's already taking protein shakes.

Bindy Badgy
On 04/02/2024 at 18:41, Dawnrazor said:

Creatine? Is that a safe thing to be taking, my son has just got some to take, he's already taking protein shakes.

Completely safe as long as you take sensible doses. 5g per day is the default amount. Adjust up or down depending on body weight.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5469049/

These studies show that short and long-term supplementation (up to 30 g/day for 5 years) is safe and well-tolerated in healthy individuals and in a number of patient populations ranging from infants to the elderly. Moreover, significant health benefits may be provided by ensuring habitual low dietary creatine ingestion (e.g., 3 g/day) throughout the lifespan.

I buy the cheapest monohydrate I can find as none of the papers that I've looked at have shown any benefit from buying the more expensive types.

Edited by Bindy Badgy

Americana
On 04/02/2024 at 17:41, Dawnrazor said:

Creatine is naturally found in certain foods ie red meat although in small quantites. It just makes your muscles hold water creating a fuller effect, thats the idea but really if hes training consistently he wont notice any difference taking it than not taking it.

5g will avoid a upsetting his stomach but thats the worst that will happen.

I would tell him to ditch the protein shakes, the price to content ratio is a waste of time, a chicken breast will give you the same amount of protein. Shakes are a handy snack but as with the Creatine none are a substitute for a tailored diet. If he is wanting to build lean muscle , which is normally the principle I run with, lower the carbs and up the protein (fresh meat) aim for 2g of protein for every kg of body weight per day, as for the carbs things like Udon are good for a small amount of carbs and protein in the same good. 

Edited by Americana

Americana
Dawnrazor
1 hour ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Completely safe as long as you take sensible doses. 5g per day is the default amount. Adjust up or down depending on body weight.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5469049/

I buy the cheapest monohydrate I can find as none of the papers that I've looked at have shown any benefit from buying the more expensive types.

Thanks 👍

Dawnrazor

Americana
5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Thanks for the replies guys, I've no idea about this kind of thing but my son has thrown himself right into it, there's so much info out there, often contradictory, so first hand advice is much appreciated.

What sort of training does he do Dawn?

Dawnrazor
Just now, Americana said:

What sort of training does he do Dawn?

He's doing an A Level course at 6th Form College in Rugby and Sports, so he's in the gym in the morning, rugby training in the afternoon three days a week, game on a Wednesday, he goes the the gym at night as extra training along with sprint training every day, I'm not entirely sure what weights he's using other than he's got up to 50kg squats(?). He started in September at 8 stone, he's 9.75 stone now.