Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2020 at 16:47, ri Alban said:

Enjoying Big Ronnie Coleman on the Joe Rogan experience. 

Really enjoyed that episode.

33km run done today. My furthest ever. Slow time but happy to get distance in.

Lots of jambos out today. At least 4 commented on my hearts gear. If that was any of you, cheers. Its amazing what a wee comment does to lift the spirits when you are 20km deep.

2 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Lots of jambos out today. At least 4 commented on my hearts gear. If that was any of you, cheers. Its amazing what a wee comment does to lift the spirits when you are 20km deep.

33km, awesome!

10 hours ago, Alan_R said:

giphy.gif

18 hours ago, Alan_R said:

20 mile... That's impressive. Well done. You make me jealous. 

On 27/06/2020 at 18:38, Alan_R said:

Nice one, well done 🙌🙌 you've inspired me to try and add a bit of distance next time out... I'd like to get a 10 miler in, I've not done that for about a year and a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not including the bike.

Ive ran 500km since start of lockdown.

No one cares but im pleased with the effort qnd continuing to ramp it up

Im not into weights. But i need to mix it up when im not running/cycling. Trying to introduce some workouts as im right into the running but dont want to end up like a noodle (long way off that as still overweight)

Ive been doing a dumbell routine and press ups/dips. I could do zero press ups, now i can do reps of 25 ok. No big deal for some but all start somewhere.

Anyway my question as ive no intention of going to gym or bulking but want some definition... ive been reading about doing insanely high reps to melt fat. 100 reps of a single excercise etc.

May seem daft but this actually seems more attainable to me than higher weights.(im feeble) plus i can do at home with the minimal stuff i have

Any thoughts? Advice?

Edited by Alan_R

Im not into weights. But i need to mix it up when im not running/cycling. Trying to introduce some workouts as im right into the running but dont want to end up like a noodle (long way off that as still overweight)

Ive been doing a dumbell routine and press ups/dips. I could do zero press ups, now i can do reps of 25 ok. No big deal for some but all start somewhere.

Anyway my question as ive no intention of going to gym or bulking but want some definition... ive been reading about doing insanely high reps to melt fat. 100 reps of a single excercise etc.

May seem daft but this actually seems more attainable to me than higher weights.(im feeble) plus i can do at home with the minimal stuff i have

Any thoughts? Advice?

What's your aim when you say definition? Just to lose more weight to show what you've already got or to build some muscle?

Being honest, either way I'd suggest lifting heavier weights or some kind of hiit kettlbell/heavy rucksack circuit with a focus on your legs and then continue the upper body routine you have going on. More muscle will help you burn more fat and the circuits will help your aerobic fitness when it comes to running too.

I'm also a big fan of sticking some weight in a backpack and walking for an hour too.

You're probably underestimating the amount of work and calories you'd need to do and intake to bulk up given the amount of running you've been doing (great going btw!)

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What's your aim when you say definition? Just to lose more weight to show what you've already got or to build some muscle?

Being honest, either way I'd suggest lifting heavier weights or some kind of hiit kettlbell/heavy rucksack circuit with a focus on your legs and then continue the upper body routine you have going on. More muscle will help you burn more fat and the circuits will help your aerobic fitness when it comes to running too.

I'm also a big fan of sticking some weight in a backpack and walking for an hour too.

You're probably underestimating the amount of work and calories you'd need to do and intake to bulk up given the amount of running you've been doing (great going btw!)

Cheers for input. Theres not much there to show off. No upper body strength haha. I guess i just dont want to do too much cardio to the detriment of any muscle that is there.

Ive always been active even overweight, lots of football, occassional badminton etc. Its just recently ive made a conscious effort to shift the beef. As such my legs are solid (been running stairs/squats etc too) so just need to teach myself what to do for upper body.

My next goal is to manage a pull up. Ive not tried but im pretty certain i couldnt even manage one

Probably good advice re kettlebell and weights. Will keeps my eyes peeled at anyone selling after lockdown fad 

39 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Cheers for input. Theres not much there to show off. No upper body strength haha. I guess i just dont want to do too much cardio to the detriment of any muscle that is there.

Ive always been active even overweight, lots of football, occassional badminton etc. Its just recently ive made a conscious effort to shift the beef. As such my legs are solid (been running stairs/squats etc too) so just need to teach myself what to do for upper body.

My next goal is to manage a pull up. Ive not tried but im pretty certain i couldnt even manage one

Probably good advice re kettlebell and weights. Will keeps my eyes peeled at anyone selling after lockdown fad 

I'm the same, I've no upper body strength and hampered by a shoulder injury. I'm maybe 6 months ahead of you on the journey, I've shifted the beef but now wanting to look a bit better.

I've strung up some rope over a beam in my flat to do a DIY TRX row...I'm very curious to see if I can do any pull-ups now after a few months at it as I'm not sure I could do more than one before.

You can't really go wrong with push ups and rows/pull-ups. Try and get some kind of overhead press in there too for the shoulders. By all means once doing loads of those become easy then weights serve a purpose but by the sounds of it what you're doing is pretty on the money. Just stick with it and keep trying to increase your volume and consistency and I'm sure the results will come. 

Or make some kind of sandbag (probably cost about 20 quid to get the stuff) and just move it about the place, lift it over things, throw over your should or tie a rope to it and reel it in.

I get seriously bored in the gym and using the kettlbell, the sandbag and making little circuits have been a lot more enjoyable to me and as such I've stuck to it more.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I'm the same, I've no upper body strength and hampered by a shoulder injury. I'm maybe 6 months ahead of you on the journey, I've shifted the beef but now wanting to look a bit better.

I've strung up some rope over a beam in my flat to do a DIY TRX row...I'm very curious to see if I can do any pull-ups now after a few months at it as I'm not sure I could do more than one before.

You can't really go wrong with push ups and rows/pull-ups. Try and get some kind of overhead press in there too for the shoulders. By all means once doing loads of those become easy then weights serve a purpose but by the sounds of it what you're doing is pretty on the money. Just stick with it and keep trying to increase your volume and consistency and I'm sure the results will come. 

Or make some kind of sandbag (probably cost about 20 quid to get the stuff) and just move it about the place, lift it over things, throw over your should or tie a rope to it and reel it in.

I get seriously bored in the gym and using the kettlbell, the sandbag and making little circuits have been a lot more enjoyable to me and as such I've stuck to it more.

Few things there thats inspired me. Sounds like youre puttin in a good effort.

Id rather get creative like that than sit in a gym

A mate decided to try and get a bit fitter and lose weight during lockdown. So far he’s lost 2st and is now the same weight he was as a teenager. He’s not the type to exercise but instead does a daily 10k walk with 10kg of weight in his rucksack and swears by it. I don’t own scales but reckon I’ve put a bit on but I’m cycling a lot more as I’ve got the time to do it beyond commuting so doing about 150k a week. 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

A mate decided to try and get a bit fitter and lose weight during lockdown. So far he’s lost 2st and is now the same weight he was as a teenager. He’s not the type to exercise but instead does a daily 10k walk with 10kg of weight in his rucksack and swears by it. I don’t own scales but reckon I’ve put a bit on but I’m cycling a lot more as I’ve got the time to do it beyond commuting so doing about 150k a week. 

Thats brilliant. Was he a big guy to start with?

Good going on the bike. Getting to some serious distance.

16 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Thats brilliant. Was he a big guy to start with?

Good going on the bike. Getting to some serious distance.

He was one of those guys that was always just a bit too heavy that you knew could get into a good shape if he tried, not strictly fat but a bit shapeless. 
I’ve always ridden but had got out the habit of doing more than the quick commute to work and had got really bad for dodging it at the slightest excuse. Not the longest distances ever but not bad considering I’m 54. 

davemclaren
On 16/07/2020 at 23:13, Tazio said:

He was one of those guys that was always just a bit too heavy that you knew could get into a good shape if he tried, not strictly fat but a bit shapeless. 
I’ve always ridden but had got out the habit of doing more than the quick commute to work and had got really bad for dodging it at the slightest excuse. Not the longest distances ever but not bad considering I’m 54. 

I went out cycling for the the first time in 20 odd years this week. Been out three times now and building it up gradually  I’m avoiding any busy roads and mainly doing cycle paths. My longest cycle to date was from Shawfair to Roslin and back again on the old loanhead/Penicuik railway. Need to research other cycle paths I can drive to. 

Gerd Muller

Never been a fan of running but recently started the Couch to 5K. 9 weeks to build up to 30 mins of running. It's going well and noticing a wee difference already but early days. 

Diet is horrendous and probably drink too many beers usually over the week however since I've started this running, lost half a stone, no beers during the week. Been doing the running about 5PM so after lunch I dont have snacks which I'd normally do. 

14 hours ago, Gerd Muller said:

Never been a fan of running but recently started the Couch to 5K. 9 weeks to build up to 30 mins of running. It's going well and noticing a wee difference already but early days. 

Diet is horrendous and probably drink too many beers usually over the week however since I've started this running, lost half a stone, no beers during the week. Been doing the running about 5PM so after lunch I dont have snacks which I'd normally do. 

Good effort mate. How many weeks in are you?

Im by no means an expert but my method was just go straight for 5km. Even if you walk most of it. Keep hitting 5km, next youll run half of it. Week after the walking portions will almost disappear. Repeat with 7/10/15km etc.

22 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I went out cycling for the the first time in 20 odd years this week. Been out three times now and building it up gradually  I’m avoiding any busy roads and mainly doing cycle paths. My longest cycle to date was from Shawfair to Roslin and back again on the old loanhead/Penicuik railway. Need to research other cycle paths I can drive to. 

Lots of great cycle routes out this way. 

Dalkeith campus is a good start point. From there you can do.

Dalkeith > whitecraig > musselburgh > the pans

Dalkeith > ormiston > pencaitland > haddington

Dalkeith > eskbank > penicuik 

Dalkeith > gilmerton > loanhead > rosewell

Dalkeith > whitecraig > newcraighall > holyrood > edinburgh

All these are cycle paths, either away from traffic or very minimal road sections

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Lots of great cycle routes out this way. 

Dalkeith campus is a good start point. From there you can do.

Dalkeith > whitecraig > musselburgh > the pans

Dalkeith > ormiston > pencaitland > haddington

Dalkeith > eskbank > penicuik 

Dalkeith > gilmerton > loanhead > rosewell

Dalkeith > whitecraig > newcraighall > holyrood > edinburgh

All these are cycle paths, either away from traffic or very minimal road sections

Thanks. 👍

Sorry dont really know where else to ask...

As i try incorporate a bit weights/resistance into my workouts few things.

Doing press ups my left arm just doesnt feel good, almost like the left elbow locks/clicks sometimes. Means my movements arent always smooth coz of it. Ive watched lots of vids about form etc and nothings really helped. Unless i drop and blast out say 10 really quick ones but im not sure then im doing them properly.

Secondly. I get a slight blurriness of vision/dizziness after even short amount of reps. This could just be coz im so feeble lol. It subsides after about 20secs

Sorry dont really know where else to ask...

As i try incorporate a bit weights/resistance into my workouts few things.

Doing press ups my left arm just doesnt feel good, almost like the left elbow locks/clicks sometimes. Means my movements arent always smooth coz of it. Ive watched lots of vids about form etc and nothings really helped. Unless i drop and blast out say 10 really quick ones but im not sure then im doing them properly.

Secondly. I get a slight blurriness of vision/dizziness after even short amount of reps. This could just be coz im so feeble lol. It subsides after about 20secs

Be careful with the dizziness and keep an eye on it not getting worse, but it's probably just from your body not being used to holding that position and straining through the reps. Make sure you're breathing throughout and not holding your breath while doing them...I'm quite bad for that myself.

For the elbow maybe try doing a set with your hands elevated (on the kitchen worktop or sofa) to reduce the pressure before going into the proper ones. I've got to warm the range of motion up in my right shoulder before push ups. 

On 18/07/2020 at 08:09, davemclaren said:

Get yourself onto Ride with GPS and you can look up logged rides for various start points, of various lengths. These will be a variety of routes/paths etc but at least will give you some ideas.

On 19/07/2020 at 14:11, Taffin said:

Be careful with the dizziness and keep an eye on it not getting worse, but it's probably just from your body not being used to holding that position and straining through the reps. Make sure you're breathing throughout and not holding your breath while doing them...I'm quite bad for that myself.

For the elbow maybe try doing a set with your hands elevated (on the kitchen worktop or sofa) to reduce the pressure before going into the proper ones. I've got to warm the range of motion up in my right shoulder before push ups. 

This was actually really helpful.

This will seem stupid as hell but i didnt really notice i wasnt breathing, or not properly. All my effort was on the exercise that i was unconsciously holding my breathe 😂😂 

Do we know when gyms open yet.

I'm still seeing advice saying they won't reopen before the 31st.

Feels a bit late in the day not to have a more accurate update than that.

davemclaren
3 hours ago, davie1980 said:

Don’t expect them to open then. 

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Don’t expect them to open then. 

Oh thanks for the advice chief, not sure what I would have done without you telling me that.

Anyone have a meaningful contribution to the discussion. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, davie1980 said:

Oh thanks for the advice chief, not sure what I would have done without you telling me that.

ok, given what was said last week re priorities I would not expect them to open before the schools do on 12/8 with an update given tomorrow. 

That’s as much as I can commit to at the moment. 😄

14 hours ago, davie1980 said:

I will take a guess at mid-late August (think they opened in England last weekend?). We tend to be a few weeks behind so best guess would be another 3 weeks for gyms. 

21 hours ago, davie1980 said:

September is what I heard for all the Renfrewshire liesure complexes, but I'm hoping the gyms are in the next couple of weeks. 

We should find out today. 

I play amateur football. Been told not to expect any training before end of oct earliest.

Taking a tough line. Teams kicked out league if found to be breaching any rules.

Gyms not opening 'til Sept 14th.

I'd be better keeping my views to myself on that woman.

Sweat on sunbeds - fine

Grouping in pubs - fine

Protesting - fine

Public transport - fine

Lifting weights taking care of your mental health? Virus will get ya.

1 hour ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Gyms not opening 'til Sept 14th.

I'd be better keeping my views to myself on that woman.

Sweat on sunbeds - fine

Grouping in pubs - fine

Protesting - fine

Public transport - fine

Lifting weights taking care of your mental health? Virus will get ya.

It really is ridiculous. From a health point of view you would think gyms would be a priority. 

jambocall51
On 30/07/2020 at 14:12, TheOak88 said:

It really is ridiculous. From a health point of view you would think gyms would be a priority. 
Hopefully gyms open and maybe do a rota where you book a certain time and only a certain amount t of people would be aloud in the gym at a time

LIFT gym on Gorgie rd have posted the following. Nicola Sturgeon has been invited to see the changes they have implemented, but whether she does...

20km in 1hr53 today.

Not bad for only getting back into running during lockdown. pleased wi that effort.

few lbs more and ill be down 2stone as well.

I've been training hard and have now lost a stone in about 2 months. I've dropped 3 (yes 3!) belt sizes and my shirts are now a medium instead of a large. Feeling better and looking better at 51 than I have for a long time. I'm not looking to get big, just to keep the belly fat at bay. My mate's son said I should be thinking about whey protein with the amount and type of exercise I am doing. I've never been convinced about supplements though. Any honest thoughts? I assumed that only hard core lifters really got a benefit.

9 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

I've been training hard and have now lost a stone in about 2 months. I've dropped 3 (yes 3!) belt sizes and my shirts are now a medium instead of a large. Feeling better and looking better at 51 than I have for a long time. I'm not looking to get big, just to keep the belly fat at bay. My mate's son said I should be thinking about whey protein with the amount and type of exercise I am doing. I've never been convinced about supplements though. Any honest thoughts? I assumed that only hard core lifters really got a benefit.

If you're only looking to keep belly fat at bay then I wouldn't bother with it.

On 10/08/2020 at 21:38, Alan_R said:

20km in 1hr53 today.

Not bad for only getting back into running during lockdown. pleased wi that effort.

Just saw this. Well done!! That's a cracking time 👍👍

A bit of a random question, but does anyone know the Edinburgh Leisure membership prices, it looks as though they've been taken off the website.

I'm trying to remember whether I have a swim membership for any pool or a membership for Dalry gym/swim.  I pay £37 per month.

Cheers

On 10/08/2020 at 21:38, Alan_R said:

20km in 1hr53 today.

👏👏

• 2 weeks later...

During lockdown, we had a few traumas so didn't really look after ourselves. My wife and I put on weight through eating too much, drinking too much and, particularly for me, missing the gym.

I discovered Les Mills on demand a couple months ago now and I have to say I love it. 

Bodypump and the GRIT workouts are particularly difficult. 

Can't escape working out in the garage or loving room, there is clear plans you can follow and a really good community. The gym might be open but I might just stick with this.

8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Been hitting the workouts hard since gym reopened. Not a part of my body that isn’t sore. Just working out at the gym has tightened the diet up massively as well so win win.

@Mauricio Pinilla can’t comment on Pure Gum but my gym is a definite no no to take sweat towels or whatever you want to call them in. 

Are people using the Treadmills etc...? 

10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Yeah I would say slightly more people on the cardio equipment than the weights. 

The weight area hasn’t been too bad never had to wait to use anything. Though a few things seem to have disappeared due to COVID. Ropes are removed so no battle or cable rows. 

Loving being back though. 

Why ain’t yours opening till 14 September? 

Renfrewshire leisure are dragging their heels. :seething:

Enjoy bud! 👍