Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I was about to jack in every thing last week. I having been able to train, and I was unable to work properly for months, but it got to the point after the new year, where I literally couldn't do it any more. I couldn't breathe probably, I couldn't stand  or walk without being in agony. I had no strength and absolutely no energy. And my head was gone. I went home at lunch.  My Mrs had kept telling me to take this B12 capsules for months, but I kept saying no. But this time I said feck it, may as well.   :sad3:

:DA B12 capsule reversed  everything. Unbelievable. Now I can do my job and now have my eyes on a bench and weights. Just need the back to stop giving me arseache. 

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Creepy Lurker

• Sten Guns

• RS86

• Snake Plissken

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I need to start taking protein again. Got out of the habit but it helps to add bulk and speeds up muscle recovery.   The downside is that you have to drop anchor in Poo bay a lot more than normal!

Posted Images

On 26/01/2021 at 04:01, ri Alban said:

I was about to jack in every thing last week. I having been able to train, and I was unable to work properly for months, but it got to the point after the new year, where I literally couldn't do it any more. I couldn't breathe probably, I couldn't stand  or walk without being in agony. I had no strength and absolutely no energy. And my head was gone. I went home at lunch.  My Mrs had kept telling me to take this B12 capsules for months, but I kept saying no. But this time I said feck it, may as well.   :sad3:

:DA B12 capsule reversed  everything. Unbelievable. Now I can do my job and now have my eyes on a bench and weights. Just need the back to stop giving me arseache. 

Brilliant that you are back at it.

Have a mate who has b12 deficiency. He kept feeling like crap but just thought he had viruses or was knackered from work, let himself get unfit etc. Ended up being admitted to hospital where they told him he could've died. That's when he found out the cause was b12.

Sorry that seems a bit drastic. Im not saying you're b12 deficient but if it helps keep taking them and get back after it.

All the best 

4 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Brilliant that you are back at it.

Have a mate who has b12 deficiency. He kept feeling like crap but just thought he had viruses or was knackered from work, let himself get unfit etc. Ended up being admitted to hospital where they told him he could've died. That's when he found out the cause was b12.

Sorry that seems a bit drastic. Im not saying you're b12 deficient but if it helps keep taking them and get back after it.

All the best 

👍

Cheers. 

I was close to going to hospital. I was like an old cripple, bent over, limping back and hips were agaony, I'd become exhausted instantly doing the slightest thing and hadno strength. Thank god my Mrs kept at it with the b12.

My fitness has gone, but now I can sort it. 

• 1 month later...

Got an absolute bargain from Aldi. They are selling 4 x 2.5kg weight plates for £5.99 currently! 

Dano307

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or if it's allowed (if it's not then please remove!).

I've been using my time in lockdown to put together a fitness business model to initially benefit people getting back in to exercise post-lockdown. I'm hoping to have this ready to launch in the summer. It's still in the early development stage at the moment and I'm looking for a wee bit of help with market research. The following survey should only take around 5/10 minutes and it would be a huge help in molding my business in a way that would benefit everyone in the best way!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSej0N8bIXTw3C9DkeP7DV19eVwusP5A7OQBuw4OpTlQ6Zf9FA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thanks in advance if you're able to fill it out!

On 02/03/2021 at 10:18, Dano307 said:

Thanks in advance if you're able to fill it out!

Done. Dunno if it was really what you were looking for but tried to fill out honestly.

I have thought about PTs and stuff before but not felt the need to go there yet.

As you'll know it's a really competitive market, especially just now. All the best!

moonraker

Not sure how accurate this is from Garmin Connect but fitness age of 25 means I am over the moon as I am actually 62, never had the abilitybto get VO2 Max from my previous watch

Screenshot_20210308-150916_Connect.jpg

ri Alban

Who does the best deals in gym equipment?

Lord BJ
On 08/03/2021 at 15:16, ri Alban said:

Who does the best deals in gym equipment?

What you looking for?

Gym equipment was quite difficult to get during the first lockdown. 

I’d probably just suggest going to Amazon and finding what suits you there for exercise and date wise. 

Alternatively, there are a bunch of sites that do second/hand return equipment which means you can some very decent kit at a good price. However, gym equipment defo a bit more expensive than used to as demand has soared. 

ri Alban
53 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

What you looking for?

Gym equipment was quite difficult to get during the first lockdown. 

I’d probably just suggest going to Amazon and finding what suits you there for exercise and date wise. 

Alternatively, there are a bunch of sites that do second/hand return equipment which means you can some very decent kit at a good price. However, gym equipment defo a bit more expensive than used to as demand has soared. 

Just looking for a squat rack and bench, with some decent plates and dumbbells. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

was about to suggest www.iron-strength.co.uk as their prices are good and had stock available for 2-3 day delivery but their site seems to be down today 

ri Alban
Just now, Ribble said:

was about to suggest www.iron-strength.co.uk as their prices are good and had stock available for 2-3 day delivery but their site seems to be down today 

Thanks, I'll have a look once it's available. 👍

Armageddon

So I’ve been looking at spin bikes for ages, the Peloton especially, came across a guy on YouTube showing an alternative so watched another hunner videos on that and bit the bullet a went for it after a shed load of research.

5 days in, 6 x 20 minute rides done and I already feel like a new man! I’m following a 6 week beginner plan.

£400 for the bike

£30 for the cadence monitor

£15 for the iPad holder

£12 per month for the Peloton app with the first month free

E62411CF-305F-4FD7-9895-A22F9411B8D0.jpeg

Byyy The Light
On 16/03/2021 at 00:15, Armageddon said:

So I’ve been looking at spin bikes for ages, the Peloton especially, came across a guy on YouTube showing an alternative so watched another hunner videos on that and bit the bullet a went for it after a shed load of research.

5 days in, 6 x 20 minute rides done and I already feel like a new man! I’m following a 6 week beginner plan.

£400 for the bike

£30 for the cadence monitor

£15 for the iPad holder

£12 per month for the Peloton app with the first month free

E62411CF-305F-4FD7-9895-A22F9411B8D0.jpeg

Aside from the branding etc, is there anything this set up doesn’t have that the Peloton does?

Armageddon
15 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Aside from the branding etc, is there anything this set up doesn’t have that the Peloton does?

I've not done a live class yet so I'd guess you don't get added to the live leaderboard, when you turn the resistance on the Peloton i'm sure it tells you on the screen what figure your resistance is at, i'm just having to guess but so far it's not been an issue at all.  I've done 7 classes in 7 days and still have to do todays, I honestly wasn't sure for weeks but decided to go for it - wish i'd done it weeks/months ago as now I actually look forward to doing a class - mental!

I was actually £450 for the bike but paying with 3 x £150 interest free payments so even less of an outlay.  The Peloton app is amazing, the wife is using it for yoga and strength training, hunners of plans no matter what you want to do.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

I've not done a live class yet so I'd guess you don't get added to the live leaderboard, when you turn the resistance on the Peloton i'm sure it tells you on the screen what figure your resistance is at, i'm just having to guess but so far it's not been an issue at all.  I've done 7 classes in 7 days and still have to do todays, I honestly wasn't sure for weeks but decided to go for it - wish i'd done it weeks/months ago as now I actually look forward to doing a class - mental!

I was actually £450 for the bike but paying with 3 x £150 interest free payments so even less of an outlay.  The Peloton app is amazing, the wife is using it for yoga and strength training, hunners of plans no matter what you want to do.

Brilliant info thanks. I’ve been humming and hawing about it but something like this might be the way to go. I’ve just been up the hills on my mountain bike and that will never be beaten but on the days I’m short of time or the weather is crap then this could be the answer 👍🏼

On 11/03/2021 at 08:18, ri Alban said:

Mirafit are really good , not overly expensive and good quality. Thats what i use

not just a game
23 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Which bike did you buy? I have been looking at them and every time I am close to making a decision see something that makes me reconsider.  There is just so much to consider - flywheel weight, braking/resistance system etc

Armageddon
1 hour ago, not just a game said:

Which bike did you buy? I have been looking at them and every time I am close to making a decision see something that makes me reconsider.  There is just so much to consider - flywheel weight, braking/resistance system etc

I was the same, so the 'must haves' are magnetic resistance, a very decent fly wheel and belt driven - I got all these from the JLL IC300 Pro, £450 and you can pay over 3 x interest free payments.  This has a 20kg fly wheel and it's very solid and smooth as a result.  If you look online there are a few complaint videos on a clanking noise, but it turns out this same noise is even common on the Peloton bikes - mine had a slight scuffing noise when it arrived but it was the casing just needed a tiny loosen off and it's now virtually silent.

The cadence monitor was a Wahoo from Amazon (£35) and it displays on the Peloton app screen when you do a class.

You can maybe tell i'm totally hooked! :)

On 20/03/2021 at 13:19, not just a game said:

I'm not a big cyclist. My mate is and just has a training wheel thing that he clips his actual bicycle onto and then goes various routes on a wee screen using Zwift.

Given the price of the peloton I think I'd be inclined to go for a Zwift set up and at least you can use bike outside as well?

On the topic of bikes though I bagged my first 100km cycle yesterday. I believe they call it a Gran Fondo. Leisurely pedal on a lovely day but still chuffed with that distance.

Armageddon
59 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

I'm not a big cyclist. My mate is and just has a training wheel thing that he clips his actual bicycle onto and then goes various routes on a wee screen using Zwift.

Given the price of the peloton I think I'd be inclined to go for a Zwift set up and at least you can use bike outside as well?

On the topic of bikes though I bagged my first 100km cycle yesterday. I believe they call it a Gran Fondo. Leisurely pedal on a lovely day but still chuffed with that distance.

Aye I looked at that but the noise is too much for indoor use, the Mrs also wants to use it so far from ideal to keep swapping in and out with bikes in the garage.

ri Alban

:yas:

Just got my ticket to meet one of my heroes. The legend that is Dorian Yates. 

13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:yas:

Just got my ticket to meet one of my heroes. The legend that is Dorian Yates. 

Awesome. Will be good to meet him. Is he doing a seminar?

Leothecat1

A bit off topic but I see ex player Sean McKirdy has opened a gym at Meadowbank.

Looks pretty impressive and seems to have good reviews.

www.Elevate98.co.uk

This weekends activity. Wolfpack 100km ultrachallenge

Just managed to finish it in just under 14hours

Learning experience,legs totally gave way and had to really grind it out.

Edited by Alan_R
9 hours ago, Alan_R said:

This weekends activity. Wolfpack 100km ultrachallenge

Just managed to finish it in just under 14hours

Learning experience,legs totally gave way and had to really grind it out.

Well done, following your stuff on here over the last year is really cool. You've been smashing it!

35 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Well done, following your stuff on here over the last year is really cool. You've been smashing it!

Thanks, just keep chipping away. I find posting here and other places just keeps me accountable and kicking on.

Still stuck on a weight plateau but I'm the fittest fat guy you'll meet 🤣

Edited by Alan_R
  • 2 weeks later...
windsor1874
On 08/03/2021 at 15:12, moonraker said:

Not sure how accurate this is from Garmin Connect but fitness age of 25 means I am over the moon as I am actually 62, never had the abilitybto get VO2 Max from my previous watch

Screenshot_20210308-150916_Connect.jpg

Pretty sure I've seen them CLAIM +/-5% accuracy. Even if you take that with a pinch of salt and say +/-10% would give you a range of 40-48. If you look at the rough guide below puts you in a good bracket!

vo2maxvalues.gif

ri Alban
On 26/03/2021 at 10:03, RS86 said:

Awesome. Will be good to meet him. Is he doing a seminar?

He is indeed. And a few training tips straight from the master. 

Sorry I didn't get back earlier. In the JKB gaol. :D. 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

That'll be ace. He is a genius when it comes to training.

Quite incredible how he has managed to step back from it all like he did and he doesn't seem at all phased about losing all that size. Not many egos in BB who could cope with it like he has

• 2 weeks later...
ri Alban
On 10/04/2021 at 10:30, RS86 said:

Quite incredible how he has managed to step back from it all like he did and he doesn't seem at all phased about losing all that size. Not many egos in BB who could cope with it like he has

Big Ramy and Dennis James on my Birthday (26th June). :yas:

Wee Lee Priest in October. The owner must have some contacts. Christ it'll cost me a fortune on their merchandise. :(

Governor Tarkin
On 10/04/2021 at 10:30, RS86 said:
On 10/04/2021 at 05:33, ri Alban said:

Expand  

I'm surprised he's still alive tbh. He must've chucked some amount of gear through his body over the years. 

ri Alban
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm surprised he's still alive tbh. He must've chucked some amount of gear through his body over the years. 

That's where it goes wrong for these folk. The abuse steroids. Abuse of all things brings about the end. DY explains his use, and it's surprising how like he used for better gains,Insulin aside(Bubble gut). I actually don't know if I believe him or not about his use, tho. Apparently, He stopped straight away once he quit training, no need as he looked at it as a job, and no longer worked in said job.

It's his mind altering drugs that will kill him. My god he doesn't half talk shite about it, anaw. 

Anyway, I'll enjoy meeting him and just listen to him and his adventures. True or otherwise, he earned it. 

On 18/04/2021 at 14:24, ri Alban said:

Big Ramy and Dennis James on my Birthday (26th June). :yas:

Wee Lee Priest in October. The owner must have some contacts. Christ it'll cost me a fortune on their merchandise. :(

Lee Priest is some character. Again be good to hear what he says as he is very clued up. I love his no bullshit social media approach where he just goes off on people in his comments on instagram haha.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

He was always a proponent of use the minimum effective amount apparently. Whether I believe that or not... I think a big part of the risk is all the other drugs these guys use too for dieting, the diuretics, stimulants etc. Just strain upon strain on their organs.