Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

23 hours ago, RS86 said:

Thanks for the recommendation. They look like they'll be better as the material is the same width across the entire strap.

7 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Thanks for the recommendation. They look like they'll be better as the material is the same width across the entire strap.

Those axle ones in particular are excellent. Like seatbelts 😅. Most I've forced them to withstand was a 375kg silver dollar deadlift and they survived 😅

21 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Probably the most disheartening thing ever getting injured :(

I have said i'm done more than once...

Tried bud. Hands, Shoulders, Knees and hips. But mostly the mind. Don't have the , don't even have a word for it, tits that bad.

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Tried bud. Hands, Shoulders, Knees and hips. But mostly the mind. Don't have the , don't even have a word for it, tits that bad.

Sounds like your burned out :(

Hopefully start feeling a bit more motivated again soon.

14 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Sounds like your burned out :(

Hopefully start feeling a bit more motivated again soon.

I was addicted up to 2016, then my life changed physically and mentally. The physical has healed enough to train hard again. But the mind hasn't and probably won't. And now am nearly 50. 🤷‍♂️ 

but I still enjoy reading this thread. Good luck to everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
Samuel Camazzola

Who was it that started a thread earlier in the week regarding football for fitness? I think it was in relation to a a 'Man v Fat' programme but can't locate the thread. 

Decided to leave my gym and going back to doing BJJ after about a 15 year break from it. Big change in fitness demands, but my strength should help to an extent. Looking forward to a new challenge.

• 1 month later...
On 01/10/2022 at 09:18, RS86 said:

Decided to leave my gym and going back to doing BJJ after about a 15 year break from it. Big change in fitness demands, but my strength should help to an extent. Looking forward to a new challenge.

Osss

Just now, RS86 said:

Ended up being more Offft as 2 sessions in my neck was injured 🙈

Haha it happens mate.

Neck, hips, fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders. BJJ will be the reason I cry myself to sleep in pain in my 40s. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question (which I probably should’ve asked before I purchased, to be fair). I’m back at the gym for the first time in years this week, really determined to both lose weight and if one up. Done a bit research and it seems that to maximise the effectiveness of my workout, I need to be having a post workout “meal”. A boy from the work has recommended this, as it’s virtually fat free, yet gives me what my body needs after a workout. I’ve gone ahead and ordered it, so I suppose I’m too late in asking…is it needed? 

09F13493-315B-414C-B052-EEB2F4D2269B.jpeg

Edited by Mr Sifter

Personally I haven't used protein shakes in a long time now. Always prefer to get my protein from my food as you get the benefit of all the other micronutrients alongside. It won't do any harm if your diet is lacking in protein, but it's certainly not close to being a meal nutritionally. Plus prices for protein have gone crazy 😲

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/11/2022 at 14:09, Mr Sifter said:

Quick question (which I probably should’ve asked before I purchased, to be fair). I’m back at the gym for the first time in years this week, really determined to both lose weight and if one up. Done a bit research and it seems that to maximise the effectiveness of my workout, I need to be having a post workout “meal”. A boy from the work has recommended this, as it’s virtually fat free, yet gives me what my body needs after a workout. I’ve gone ahead and ordered it, so I suppose I’m too late in asking…is it needed? 

09F13493-315B-414C-B052-EEB2F4D2269B.jpeg

That stuff is decent mate, it does have sugar but not as much as some brands. I use the same stuff but not isolate as i dont think its as good as the original powder. If you want even less sugar you are better to get the Diet whey as they replace the sugar/sweetners with green tea extracts. I used that when I was cutting and it was  great for bulding muscle. 

It has probably been mentioned here before but does anyone know of any half decent bodybulding gyms in edinburgh? I seen there was one in leith beside the Bonnington bar, anyone been? is it any good? Iv just left the military so now I can proper concentrate on building my body as i can take a wider range of suppliments now :D

1 hour ago, Negan said:

That stuff is decent mate, it does have sugar but not as much as some brands. I use the same stuff but not isolate as i dont think its as good as the original powder. If you want even less sugar you are better to get the Diet whey as they replace the sugar/sweetners with green tea extracts. I used that when I was cutting and it was  great for bulding muscle. 

Cheers for that Negan, appreciated pal 👍🏼

Re yer question about Bodybuilding Gyms in town, have you ever used Physique up on Frogston Road? Great place, only been a couple of times due to knowing one of the owners from back in our schooldays together. It’s definately a hardcore place where I’ve no doubt you’d find some like minded individuals 👍🏼👍🏼

http://www.physiquebodyshop.com/our-gym/

9 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Re yer question about Bodybuilding Gyms in town, have you ever used Physique up on Frogston Road? Great place, only been a couple of times due to knowing one of the owners from back in our schooldays together. It’s definately a hardcore place where I’ve no doubt you’d find some like minded individuals 👍🏼👍🏼

Awesome! Never been here, looks proper legit will check it out cheers!

22 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

That gym looks decent.

The boy in the video pulling 300kg though, his form is honking! 😳

On 09/12/2022 at 21:07, RS86 said:

That gym looks decent.

:rofl: Back snapping for 300kgs. Awful stuff, but obviously acceptable in those premises.

Pre-judging for the Oympia Men's Open was really entertaining. I don't think Ramy has dominated in the way most people predicted he would.

On 17/12/2022 at 08:16, Bindy Badgy said:

Pre-judging for the Oympia Men's Open was really entertaining. I don't think Ramy has dominated in the way most people predicted he would.

Used to love the Mr Olympia finals. I don't know anyone anymore.(Curry, Big Ramy big Nathan) tho I take it Hunter is Lee Labrada's son.

On 09/12/2022 at 21:07, RS86 said:

That gym looks decent.

Andy Black? Did you every compete against him? He seems to be doing quite well.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Andy Black? Did you every compete against him? He seems to be doing quite well.

No never competed with him. He's not well liked by quite a few people I know in the scene. Won't go into details but not a fan of the guy knowing what I know.

2 hours ago, RS86 said:

No never competed with him. He's not well liked by quite a few people I know in the scene. Won't go into details but not a fan of the guy knowing what I know.

👍

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Used to love the Mr Olympia finals. I don't know anyone anymore.(Curry, Big Ramy big Nathan) tho I take it Hunter is Lee Labrada's son.

Yeah, Hunter is Lee's son.

The second session was really good. Hadi thoroughly deserved to win the title.

Just now, Bindy Badgy said:

Yeah, Hunter is Lee's son.

The second session was really good. Hadi thoroughly deserved to win the title.

Has Phil chucked it altogether? I thought Phil and Kai would have given it one more try.

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Has Phil chucked it altogether? I thought Phil and Kai would have given it one more try.

Phil was doing the commentary. There have been rumours about him returning, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Just now, Bindy Badgy said:

Phil was doing the commentary. There have been rumours about him returning, but I'll believe it when I see it.

👍

I miss Cedric :( Good Lad .

Edited by ri Alban

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Wife bought me a months membership. I had a wee go while my boy was getting his induction.  

💪

Bet it felt good to get back to it. Have the niggles settled at all from the rest?

5 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Bet it felt good to get back to it. Have the niggles settled at all from the rest?

I tried the seated dumbbell shoulder press with light weights. It's a no no. But I didn't get the cramp in my right bicep, so I'm hopeful.

Tho I didn't really do much. Some incline and flat dumbbell press, standing single arm shoulder press, single arm rows, lat pull downs and some cable tricep presses. 

Just getting the feel. 

Nae legs as I'm back at work. I've been off work for a month after shooting myself with my nailgun and Christmas. I'm a big fat *******. :D

On 08/01/2023 at 21:13, ri Alban said:

I tried the seated dumbbell shoulder press with light weights. It's a no no. But I didn't get the cramp in my right bicep, so I'm hopeful.

Tho I didn't really do much. Some incline and flat dumbbell press, standing single arm shoulder press, single arm rows, lat pull downs and some cable tricep presses. 

Just getting the feel. 

Nae legs as I'm back at work. I've been off work for a month after shooting myself with my nailgun and Christmas. I'm a big fat *******. :D

Jeez, that's one way to get the festive period off!

Had a great run of training past few months, but today I've succumbed to man flu so that's me missing first sessions in a while. Drives me mad not getting to gym 😓

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2023 at 23:33, RS86 said:

Jeez, that's one way to get the festive period off!

5 days it took me to recover. I couldn't work properly 😂

Loved it though. But my ego was telling me to lift heavier 😂. I lay down on the flat bench and pressed the dummies. I couldn't get back up. I had to slide of the side :rofl:

I used to bring my knees up to my chest and back out to flat, like reverse crunches when I was flat benching. Know I can even get my arse off the bench. :embarassed:

19 hours ago, ri Alban said:

5 days it took me to recover. I couldn't work properly 😂

Loved it though. But my ego was telling me to lift heavier 😂. I lay down on the flat bench and pressed the dummies. I couldn't get back up. I had to slide of the side :rofl:

I used to bring my knees up to my chest and back out to flat, like reverse crunches when I was flat benching. Know I can even get my arse off the bench. :embarassed:

Haha I know that feeling. I have to bring my legs up and then swing forward to get up off the bench, otherwise i'd be rolling too 🤣

3 hours ago, RS86 said:

Haha I know that feeling. I have to bring my legs up and then swing forward to get up off the bench, otherwise i'd be rolling too 🤣

:wheelchair: :D

• 2 weeks later...

Alright gym chads. 

Anyone got a link to a sort of beginners set list for the gym? I've joined up again for the first time in 10 odd years and would quite like to have a set list with reps etc on the phone so i remain focused and dont feel like i dont know what i am doing when there.

On 02/02/2023 at 19:25, indianajones said:

Alright gym chads. 

Anyone got a link to a sort of beginners set list for the gym? I've joined up again for the first time in 10 odd years and would quite like to have a set list with reps etc on the phone so i remain focused and dont feel like i dont know what i am doing when there.

What's your primary goal going to be?

This website is a gem for anyone fancying a little change of routine. Tons of diff programmes.

https://liftvault.com/

On 04/02/2023 at 09:53, RS86 said:

What's your primary goal going to be?

This website is a gem for anyone fancying a little change of routine. Tons of diff programmes.

https://liftvault.com/

Cheers RS. Will have a look. 

I need to lose a little fat whilst focusing on strength. I dont want to get massive. Do cardio in form of MTB so it will mostly be weight focused at the gym. 

• 1 month later...

Jumping in here a bit late to some of these topics but thought id chip in. 

Theres no need for these powders, each serving normally produces about 10 grams less than a cooked chicken breast, in fact if you check your local tesco for Grahams Protein yogurts usually about a quid each youll get 25g of protein from one. I usually aim for a gram of protein for every kg of bodyweight, when im competing I try and up that by 50 percent. I eat meat with both lunch and dinner and try and fit in white and red meat into each day, couple of high protein yogurts in there too, grains and pulses etc, eggs on the side of everything, I train at night and would advise if you are wanting to cut weight not taking in any food after 8pm even if you have finished training just water, will feel challenging at first but after awhile your stomach will adjust. My sport involves cutting down to be as lean as possible whilst keeping strength and endurance as high as possible , walk around at 105kg , compete at -97kg , usually allow three weeks before dropping weight, although in my 20s two would be enough.

If you are going to supplement, dont waste money on powders,purchase supplements to try and maintain your body and head to allow you to push yourself harder for example..

Overall Health

Multivitamins

Apple Cider Vinegar

Milk Thistle

Sleep

ZMA

5HTP

Ashwaganda

Mobility

Cod Liver Oil

Glucosomine

Omega Oils

Those choices are quite specific to my needs after a decade and a half of getting kicked, punched and contorted but get the best out of your training sessions and eat clean and the changes will always come.

Edited by Americana

postage-stamp

Nutribullet is great.  Able to pile in healthy stuff and hide the taste with a few berries and nuts. 

Great way to put handfuls of things like spinach or kale in your body without actually tasting them.

21 hours ago, Americana said:

Jumping in here a bit late to some of these topics but thought id chip in. 

Theres no need for these powders, each serving normally produces about 10 grams less than a cooked chicken breast, in fact if you check your local tesco for Grahams Protein yogurts usually about a quid each youll get 25g of protein from one. I usually aim for a gram of protein for every kg of bodyweight, when im competing I try and up that by 50 percent. I eat meat with both lunch and dinner and try and fit in white and red meat into each day, couple of high protein yogurts in there too, grains and pulses etc, eggs on the side of everything, I train at night and would advise if you are wanting to cut weight not taking in any food after 8pm even if you have finished training just water, will feel challenging at first but after awhile your stomach will adjust. My sport involves cutting down to be as lean as possible whilst keeping strength and endurance as high as possible , walk around at 105kg , compete at -97kg , usually allow three weeks before dropping weight, although in my 20s two would be enough.

If you are going to supplement, dont waste money on powders,purchase supplements to try and maintain your body and head to allow you to push yourself harder for example..

Overall Health

Multivitamins

Apple Cider Vinegar

Milk Thistle

Sleep

ZMA

5HTP

Ashwaganda

Mobility

Cod Liver Oil

Glucosomine

Omega Oils

Those choices are quite specific to my needs after a decade and a half of getting kicked, punched and contorted but get the best out of your training sessions and eat clean and the changes will always come.

Most of these supplements I either use, or have used over the years. Only thing i'd add with living in Scotland is vitamin D3.

The sleep ones are interesting. Heard good things regarding them but never tried. Still got young kids so not quite at the stage of getting peaceful sleep again, but once we get there I'll likely try the likes of 5HTP.

I def think protein requirements are overstated tbh. I aim for 200g a day and am sitting 95ish kg at the moment. And i'd hazard a guess that my protein requirements are probs higher than most people's too as I hold a decent amount of tissue under the fat 😅

Screenshot_20230310_115229_Messenger.jpg

11 hours ago, postage-stamp said:

Nutribullet is great.  Able to pile in healthy stuff and hide the taste with a few berries and nuts. 

Great way to put handfuls of things like spinach or kale in your body without actually tasting them.

I have a Breville Blend Active which is like a cheaper version of this. It's ideal for me getting extra fruit into my diet.

Couple of small bananas, handful of blueberries, whole milk, natural yoghurt and a scoop of whey post workout 👌

postage-stamp
21 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I have a Breville Blend Active which is like a cheaper version of this. It's ideal for me getting extra fruit into my diet.

Couple of small bananas, handful of blueberries, whole milk, natural yoghurt and a scoop of whey post workout 👌

Yea it's great.my nutri was only about £40 though which I didn't think was that bad.

Sometimes it tastes of cardboard ( too much tumeric) but other times it's quite acceptable.

I ve even put raw broccoli and sprouts in it but can't really taste them. 🤣

• 2 months later...