Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

12 hours ago, sadj said:

**** squatting and deadlifting I have never done either more than once or twice every few years just for a laugh. Dont ever listen to a gym minded person who tells you they are the main things to do or else. Benching i do but very rarely with a barbell. Calisthenics are fun but again its what works for that person. 

You don’t squat? Can I ask why risk of injury?   

I generally stay away from deadlifts for injury concerns though recently started doing them again, though light. 

Workouts do need to suit the individual. There are a few exercises I can’t do now as injury cause issue or my body doesn’t allow the movement 

Though leaving squats alone? It’s like you don’t lift :sob:

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Creepy Lurker

• Sten Guns

• RS86

• Snake Plissken

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I need to start taking protein again. Got out of the habit but it helps to add bulk and speeds up muscle recovery.   The downside is that you have to drop anchor in Poo bay a lot more than normal!

Posted Images

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I liked my squats. I having done them for a very long time. I couldn't rotate my shoulders under the bar after I was injured. Partial deads was my favourite back exercise after dumbbell rows.

I'm planning on going back in a few weeks, but I've been planning going back for a few weeks for a few years. :D Can't be arsed, if I'm honest.

Rackpulls i do enjoy , partials off plates nope , i got a bit bored of rackpulls though as the bars in Pure could only hold 300kg 😑 I used to start with them 10x10 or 5x5 then move on to barbell bent over rows 4x20 10 pro , 10 sup. Im struggling for motivation just now myself. 😑

37 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You don’t squat? Can I ask why risk of injury?   

I generally stay away from deadlifts for injury concerns though recently started doing them again, though light. 

Workouts do need to suit the individual. There are a few exercises I can’t do now as injury cause issue or my body doesn’t allow the movement 

Though leaving squats alone? It’s like you don’t lift :sob:

🤣🤣

Just don’t like them so don’t do them , my hip flexors i do other little bits for to help with running and my quads i destroy in other ways. Deads is more due to fracturing a vertebrae in my spine and the extra six inches can cause it to give me pain in my nerves which then gives me migraines.

I love leg press , hate squats , hate lunges , love calf raise , leg extensions and leg curls. Leg press would have been warm up at 300 then up in increments of 50 until im struggling to do 6 (then back down. Leg extensions i vary 5x12 with 12 second rest then a burnout , sometimes 10x15 then 40  or 5x12 then 100. 

Im assuming you’ve looked at doing bodyweight exercises / stretches that might rehab you and help wi freeing up the movement in your body. whats the injury concern you have with deadlifts? 

13 hours ago, sadj said:

You a lump 🤔🤔 🤣 , nae chance , gimme a pm if you want , i havent been on my insta in over a year so no idea where you are at or your health , comps etc 👍🏻

When I say a lump I don't mean fat per se, just a lot of tissue to carry in running terms lol. I've knocked competing on the head now. Won the Scottish u90s again this year in PL, but got injured yet again in the process 🤦‍♂️

I never did get round to running though as I got covid and that's completely floored me.

1 minute ago, RS86 said:

When I say a lump I don't mean fat per se, just a lot of tissue to carry in running terms lol. I've knocked competing on the head now. Won the Scottish u90s again this year in PL, but got injured yet again in the process 🤦‍♂️

I never did get round to running though as I got covid and that's completely floored me.

Congrats on the u90s , Whats your plans now? Not good 😞 hope you and the family are over it now. 

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Rackpulls i do enjoy , partials off plates nope , i got a bit bored of rackpulls though as the bars in Pure could only hold 300kg 😑 I used to start with them 10x10 or 5x5 then move on to barbell bent over rows 4x20 10 pro , 10 sup. Im struggling for motivation just now myself. 😑

🤣🤣

Just don’t like them so don’t do them , my hip flexors i do other little bits for to help with running and my quads i destroy in other ways. Deads is more due to fracturing a vertebrae in my spine and the extra six inches can cause it to give me pain in my nerves which then gives me migraines.

I love leg press , hate squats , hate lunges , love calf raise , leg extensions and leg curls. Leg press would have been warm up at 300 then up in increments of 50 until im struggling to do 6 (then back down. Leg extensions i vary 5x12 with 12 second rest then a burnout , sometimes 10x15 then 40  or 5x12 then 100. 

Im assuming you’ve looked at doing bodyweight exercises / stretches that might rehab you and help wi freeing up the movement in your body. whats the injury concern you have with deadlifts? 

Fair enough, it clearly working for you. I ****ing hate calf raises, no matter what I do can’t develop the ****ers. It’s a bit embarrassing. 

I compressed vertebrae  into each other at the start of the year. So it’s been a bit of a nightmare, I’m still not fully recovered and still doing a variety of exercises /physio to resolve issues. I’m pretty much working out each side individually due to the strength difference,  and protect a few things as much as possible. Whilst in general lifting less weight but more volume and a shit ton of drop sets at the moment.  Started doing a bit with trx again to try and open a few things up as well. 

On deadlifting I find I tend to get a bad pain at the base of the spine. I have always felt I over extend after pushing the hips through and leaning too far back. However, it’s not that the technique and form are good, despite what I might feel. I get the same issue with deadlifting with the trap bar as well, which I think is even stranger. 

32 minutes ago, sadj said:

Congrats on the u90s , Whats your plans now? Not good 😞 hope you and the family are over it now. 

Cheers. Tbh nothing in mind other than just lifting and exercising for fun and to stay in shape. It's hard turning off the competitive mentality though, cos every time I see a competition I find myself considering it lol.

Thankfully over the worst and coming out the other end. Me, the mrs and 4 of the kids got it but somehow one of my boys managed to avoid it

3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Fair enough, it clearly working for you. I ****ing hate calf raises, no matter what I do can’t develop the ****ers. It’s a bit embarrassing. 

I compressed vertebrae  into each other at the start of the year. So it’s been a bit of a nightmare, I’m still not fully recovered and still doing a variety of exercises /physio to resolve issues. I’m pretty much working out each side individually due to the strength difference,  and protect a few things as much as possible. Whilst in general lifting less weight but more volume and a shit ton of drop sets at the moment.  Started doing a bit with trx again to try and open a few things up as well. 

On deadlifting I find I tend to get a bad pain at the base of the spine. I have always felt I over extend after pushing the hips through and leaning too far back. However, it’s not that the technique and form are good, despite what I might feel. I get the same issue with deadlifting with the trap bar as well, which I think is even stranger. 

🤣 , I use two variations either barbell calf raise on a step so that i get full range or Seated with the plates on quads , front of the feet on a step , again to get full range. Then i just try and do them as slow as possible and do 4x20 , i never vary the sets or reps on them.

I would say you shouldn’t be embarrassed I think there is always something that just either doesn’t develop the way we’d like or we need to find a specific exercise that makes them pop as opposed to the generic ones like weve discussed here. 

Sorry to hear that , sounds like you are on the road to recovery though and interesting to hear you use the trx , you sound like you are pretty clued up and not in the “if its nae got plates on it im nae doing it camp” 

Without seeing your deads its difficult to suggest anything , possibly turn your toes out more or a wider stance may take a bit of pressure off your lower back or switch to rack pulls. Is it def a muscle pain? Do you round your lower back at all , that could potentially be a reason that you are pushing too far through when you **** the bar. My brother in law was bad for it until i got him having his last thought as back in the correct position and focus on that and roll the bar up his legs. 

Whatever you do or try make sure you check any risks , dont make any adjustments without doing the research yourself to ensure it doesn’t make things worse

Edited by sadj
3 hours ago, RS86 said:

Cheers. Tbh nothing in mind other than just lifting and exercising for fun and to stay in shape. It's hard turning off the competitive mentality though, cos every time I see a competition I find myself considering it lol.

Thankfully over the worst and coming out the other end. Me, the mrs and 4 of the kids got it but somehow one of my boys managed to avoid it

Glad to hear you and the family are getting there , my pals family was similar her and 3 of hers got it , her brother and his two got it but her youngest didn’t. 🤷🏻‍♂️ If you have any thoughts or want any tweaks just pm me pal and ill see if i can help 👍🏻 

54 minutes ago, sadj said:

🤣 , I use two variations either barbell calf raise on a step so that i get full range or Seated with the plates on quads , front of the feet on a step , again to get full range. Then i just try and do them as slow as possible and do 4x20 , i never vary the sets or reps on them.

I would say you shouldn’t be embarrassed I think there is always something that just either doesn’t develop the way we’d like or we need to find a specific exercise that makes them pop as opposed to the generic ones like weve discussed here. 

Sorry to hear that , sounds like you are on the road to recovery though and interesting to hear you use the trx , you sound like you are pretty clued up and not in the “if its nae got plates on it im nae doing it camp” 

Without seeing your deads its difficult to suggest anything , possibly turn your toes out more or a wider stance may take a bit of pressure off your lower back or switch to rack pulls. Is it def a muscle pain? Do you round your lower back at all , that could potentially be a reason that you are pushing too far through when you **** the bar. My brother in law was bad for it until i got him having his last thought as back in the correct position and focus on that and roll the bar up his legs. 

Whatever you do or try make sure you check any risks , dont make any adjustments without doing the research yourself to ensure it doesn’t make things worse

Im a pretty experienced lifter to be honest. I’m also currently working with a PT who is a ex competitive bodybuilder. So it’s not so much a form thing or that and have worked with different variations. If I’m truthful, I think I don’t like exercise.

Though can’t lie your numbers are much higher than mine 👍

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Glad to hear you and the family are getting there , my pals family was similar her and 3 of hers got it , her brother and his two got it but her youngest didn’t. 🤷🏻‍♂️ If you have any thoughts or want any tweaks just pm me pal and ill see if i can help 👍🏻 

Cheers. Hows your training been going?

5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Im a pretty experienced lifter to be honest. I’m also currently working with a PT who is a ex competitive bodybuilder. So it’s not so much a form thing or that and have worked with different variations. If I’m truthful, I think I don’t like exercise.

Though can’t lie your numbers are much higher than mine 👍

Numbers are numbers aren’t they , never judge yourself by someone elses numbers.

Dont think any of us like exercise at times. 🤣 Thats good if you have that help there , hopefully all the wee niggles ease for you.

3 hours ago, RS86 said:

Cheers. Hows your training been going?

Shite tbh havent trained in 6weeks wi my mental health , this thread prompted me to get back on it today though 👌🏻 

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Shite tbh havent trained in 6weeks wi my mental health , this thread prompted me to get back on it today though 👌🏻 

Hope you're feeling a bit better now. Bit of downtime is sometimes needed. You'll be glad to get back into it I bet!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone tried the 16 : 8 intermittent fast? Or something similar?

Have put on a fair bit of weight, up to 94kg and doing this to lose some weight pretty quickly before I get back more into my running. 

All going to plan I'll be at the start line of the Edinburgh Marathon in May in decent shape to chase a PB. 

Just wondered if anyone had tried the 16 : 8, it's started well 3 days in.....