Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Right, ive finally had enough being a fat git who eats all the pies.  Only problem is I've not got a clue how to "reset" me to eat better, lose weight, and get healthier.  

Starting a food diary for the next 7 days to see what sh!te I eat and what i need to remove.  

I'm 48yo 5 foot 5 and weigh 14 and a half stone.  Inactive fitness wise although attempt 5s twice a week (just dont run - get the ball to do the running) and I've downloaded the c25k app.  

Any hints on how to get started?

7 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

Right, ive finally had enough being a fat git who eats all the pies.  Only problem is I've not got a clue how to "reset" me to eat better, lose weight, and get healthier.  

Starting a food diary for the next 7 days to see what sh!te I eat and what i need to remove.  

I'm 48yo 5 foot 5 and weigh 14 and a half stone.  Inactive fitness wise although attempt 5s twice a week (just dont run - get the ball to do the running) and I've downloaded the c25k app.  

20 minutes of going up and down the stairs before some porridge. Fill yourself with water after dinner. Get a training partner, whether it be a friend, family or your Mrs/Partner. Get some motivation and a playlist. 

Treadmill is a better option until you have enough in the tank to hit the football pitches, grass trails, athletic tracks. Don't hit the road it'll cause to much damage.

Oh and stop hating on yourself 👍 Good Luck, bud🤞 

I need to find the same, I'm 50 in a fortnight 😭

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

20 minutes of going up and down the stairs before some porridge. Fill yourself with water after dinner. Get a training partner, whether it be a friend, family or your Mrs/Partner. Get some motivation and a playlist. 

Treadmill is a better option until you have enough in the tank to hit the football pitches, grass trails, athletic tracks. Don't hit the road it'll cause to much damage.

Cheers mate.  

Just canny do porridge - gies me the heave just thinking about it - sure I was force fed the stuff as a kid.  

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Good suggestions. You need to look at it as lifestyle changes, which really means changes to routines. So adding in a walk, stairclimb, workout at a certain point in your week where it fits. Don't completely overhaul your diet and instead make small changes in how you eat.

Anything too drastic you simply won't stick to it and you can get good results and still enjoy a few pints and the odd pizza and curry.

30 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Good suggestions. You need to look at it as lifestyle changes, which really means changes to routines. So adding in a walk, stairclimb, workout at a certain point in your week where it fits. Don't completely overhaul your diet and instead make small changes in how you eat.

Anything too drastic you simply won't stick to it and you can get good results and still enjoy a few pints and the odd pizza and curry.

I need to stop drinking. I just wish I could get that gym rat mindset.😭

1 hour ago, cannonfoda said:

Cheers mate.  

Just canny do porridge - gies me the heave just thinking about it - sure I was force fed the stuff as a kid.  

👍 Protein shake and banana instead.

45 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I need to stop drinking. I just wish I could get that gym rat mindset.😭

I'm done competing for this year so there's going to be plenty of 🍺 over the summer for me haha.

24 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I'm done competing for this year so there's going to be plenty of 🍺 over the summer for me haha.

:cheers:

22 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

Accept you didn't get into your current situation overnight, so you won't get out of it overnight. Consistency and patience will see you right 👍👍

Couch to 5k is excellent. Follow it and by the time you're done you'll be in a much better place. Then kick on from there. The time will fly by, so enjoy it and don't focus too much on the end goal...but do have a goal.

Any you lads use any smart watches for fitness tracking and if so any recommendations? Not an Apple Watch though as I'm in the Android system 

On 11/06/2023 at 15:31, ri Alban said:

I considered Dbol to get past injuries, but I hate cheating at anything. 

I used some stuff called MK677 to help heal my last injury and it worked amazingly. Would never recommend anyone else using these kinds of things, especially since there is very limited research and long term info on it. But I was impressed.

4 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Any you lads use any smart watches for fitness tracking and if so any recommendations? Not an Apple Watch though as I'm in the Android system 

My mate has a whoop band which he loves and has suggested to me a few times. Not something I am fussed for so no real knowledge of these though.

4 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

I was just doing some research myself.

Garmin forerunner 255. It's not the newest version so it's a bit cheaper but has all the latest health and training functions you would need.

12 hours ago, RS86 said:

My mate has a whoop band which he loves and has suggested to me a few times. Not something I am fussed for so no real knowledge of these though.

12 hours ago, jambopilms said:

I was just doing some research myself.

Garmin forerunner 255. It's not the newest version so it's a bit cheaper but has all the latest health and training functions you would need.

Thanks both I'll give them a look. 

I'm much in the frame for an older bit cheaper just to see if I can make it stick as a habit. Don't want to spend £150-200 on a smart watch that I use for 3 months then stuff in a drawer. 

2 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Thanks both I'll give them a look. 

I'm much in the frame for an older bit cheaper just to see if I can make it stick as a habit. Don't want to spend £150-200 on a smart watch that I use for 3 months then stuff in a drawer. 

You can get refurbished Garmin watches if you google, I'm sure any will track distance time and pace. Probably around 50 quid if your not sure you will use it much.

17 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

You can get refurbished Garmin watches if you google, I'm sure any will track distance time and pace. Probably around 50 quid if your not sure you will use it much.

Top man thanks. That's exactly all I'm after really is just a tracker that logs steps and distance and any times. 

All the rest of the bells and whistles with some of them are overkill for me. 

Not so much fitness related more just an achievement but wasn't sure where else to post.

My sons done Ben Nevis yesterday for our charity. 11 and 8 years old. Weren't going for a time but their uncle had his watch going and we summited in 3 hours and 26 mins. 

Warriors 💪

FB_IMG_1687025697141.jpg

FB_IMG_1687025716155.jpg

On 18/06/2023 at 08:09, 151 said:

Not so much fitness related more just an achievement but wasn't sure where else to post.

My sons done Ben Nevis yesterday for our charity. 11 and 8 years old. Weren't going for a time but their uncle had his watch going and we summited in 3 hours and 26 mins. 

Warriors 💪

FB_IMG_1687025697141.jpg

FB_IMG_1687025716155.jpg

👏 well in lads! 

Warriors 💪

FB_IMG_1687025697141.jpg

FB_IMG_1687025716155.jpg

Awesome 👏👏

il Duce McTarkin

Warriors 💪

FB_IMG_1687025697141.jpg

FB_IMG_1687025716155.jpg

Ben Nevis is a slog. Well done, lads!

8 years away from regular training. I'm trying to challenge myself to lift a combined 1200 pounds for the squat, dead and bench in six months at 50 years old. My cider self isn't having it, yet.

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

8 years away from regular training. I'm trying to challenge myself to lift a combined 1200 pounds for the squat, dead and bench in six months at 50 years old. My cider self isn't having it, yet.

Good on you 💪. Good luck too

Les Brown, Arnie or Dorian Yates were my motivational speakers when I was heavy into training. Just loved what they had to say.

Edited by ri Alban

Les Brown, Arnie or Dorian Yates were my motivational speakers when I was heavy into training. Just loved what they had to say.

yeah-budy-ronnie-coleman.gif

5 hours ago, Cade said:

top tip: dinnae listen to The Prodigy when doing a workout. Ooyah fecker I'm going to pay for that tomorrow.

Haha. I've had them on for a few of my heavy lifts. Hatebreed or Any Given Day are my current go to

Arnie and Dorian are in much better condition than Ronnie.

I'd be curious how Ronnie would have been doing now if it wasn't for the botched surgery.

Dorian dropped a power of weight. Seems a bit mental these days when you listen to some of his interviews though 😅

6 hours ago, RS86 said:

I'd be curious how Ronnie would have been doing now if it wasn't for the botched surgery.

Dorian dropped a power of weight. Seems a bit mental these days when you listen to some of his interviews though 😅

He is. Too much LSD.

Bindy Badgy
On 26/06/2023 at 22:32, RS86 said:

Listening to the surgeons when they told him to go home and rest would have vastly improved Ronnie's current condition. 

Bindy Badgy
On 27/06/2023 at 04:50, ri Alban said:

He is. Too much LSD.

Some of the stuff he's come out with about vaccines is weapons grade horseshit.

5 hours ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Some of the stuff he's come out with about vaccines is weapons grade horseshit.

That's not worst of it. Turned into right dumpling. 

On 30/06/2023 at 09:06, Bindy Badgy said:

Listening to the surgeons when they told him to go home and rest would have vastly improved Ronnie's current condition. 

Watched a few videos about Ronnie recently and his troubles go way back, had me reaching for the ibroprufen just listening to him. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2023 at 08:30, rudi must stay said:

Was at the gym this morning. Did an hour on the treadmill at 5

Good on you. Bet it was nice and quiet at that time 😅. You been back since?

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, RS86 said:

Good on you. Bet it was nice and quiet at that time 😅. You been back since?

No never

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps the wrong thread for it but I recently decided to go sober. Was shocked when my drink (a fresh orange and lemonade) cost more than my drinking friends in the round. £3.50 pint for them, £3.80 for me. 

Given I neck a soft drink quicker than it takes me to drink a beer this is no incentive to stop.... 

I don't want to stop going to bars but I don't want to be robbed blind for choosing to be healthier. Anyone know any good bars which have reasonably priced non alcohol beer (Chanters is a 5er for Heineken pish, again more expensive than their 3.50 pints).

• 2 weeks later...
Captain Sausage

Having been into the gym (3-4 times a week weight sessions) with football 2-3 times a week, I used to be in great shape. 

Then kids came along. And I stopped football, I stopped the gym. I tried to restart a few times, but could never really get it going. Put on about a stone, just generally felt down and not happy with life. 

Then a year ago I joined CrossFit. I’m lucky that my partner used to be a PT who did a lot of Olympic lift training so I’m quite comfortable with a barbell. But honestly, the sense of community, the competition and drive to improve has just been game changing. 

I’m stronger, fitter and in better shape than ever before, and I now prioritise my gym workouts and it’s incredible what a difference it’s made mentally. 

I get it isn’t for everyone, but if you are stuck in a rut, it might be worth a go!

Good to hear some positive stories on here regarding the gym and training in general. I was in the navy for 7 years and I was at my unhealthiest and unfittest  I'd ever been. Going out on the piss every other night just because it was seen as acceptable and it was ok to turn up pissed for work. Now I'm a civvy I forced myself to get into shape and try to enjoy training. I seen a photo of myself where I looked like absolute shite and it was enough to motivate me to change my mindset. I'm now 2 years into my journey and the difference in my body is incredible. max squat 180, max deadlift 200 max bench 130 with barbell . YEAAAAAH BUDDDY

il Duce McTarkin
On 05/09/2023 at 10:51, Negan said:

Good to hear some positive stories on here regarding the gym and training in general. I was in the navy for 7 years and I was at my unhealthiest and unfittest  I'd ever been. Going out on the piss every other night just because it was seen as acceptable and it was ok to turn up pissed for work. Now I'm a civvy I forced myself to get into shape and try to enjoy training. I seen a photo of myself where I looked like absolute shite and it was enough to motivate me to change my mindset. I'm now 2 years into my journey and the difference in my body is incredible. max squat 180, max deadlift 200 max bench 130 with barbell . YEAAAAAH BUDDDY

Great work!

Well done.

On 05/09/2023 at 11:51, Negan said:

Some good numbers there. Good on you 👏👏

25 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

What's people's opinion on Whey Protein powders and Protein Shake Packets, are there any to avoid for a 16/17 year old.

rocky.gif

On 12/09/2023 at 12:00, Dawnrazor said:

What's people's opinion on Whey Protein powders and Protein Shake Packets, are there any to avoid for a 16/17 year old.

Whey is literally just a byproduct of making cheese so it's perfectly fine for anyone at any age unless they are lactose intolerant. It's really just a way of boosting the amount of protein in your diet, but in my opinion you are better aiming to get the vast majority of this through general diet as that way you get all the micronutrient benefits too (vitamins and mineral which are vital for health).

It used to be a cheap way of boosting protein intake but prices have gone daft these days. There are some really nice tasting ones out there though. And be warned, they make you fart.

3 hours ago, RS86 said:

Whey is literally just a byproduct of making cheese so it's perfectly fine for anyone at any age unless they are lactose intolerant. It's really just a way of boosting the amount of protein in your diet, but in my opinion you are better aiming to get the vast majority of this through general diet as that way you get all the micronutrient benefits too (vitamins and mineral which are vital for health).

It used to be a cheap way of boosting protein intake but prices have gone daft these days. There are some really nice tasting ones out there though. And be warned, they make you fart.

Cheers for that👍

My son has started at college and is now training 3 or 4 days a week, playing a game of rugby once a week and is in the gym 4 or 5 nights a week now so needs a bit extra, a friend's son was a rower at Shrewsbury School and they only allowed 2 certain types of protein powders and I was wondering if there were some to be avoided. The farting bit will only bother us 2 nights a week but his room mate is on the same search for powders and shakes, possible source of gas energy near Preston if anyone is interested?!!

On 13/09/2023 at 17:07, Dawnrazor said:

Cheers for that👍

My son has started at college and is now training 3 or 4 days a week, playing a game of rugby once a week and is in the gym 4 or 5 nights a week now so needs a bit extra, a friend's son was a rower at Shrewsbury School and they only allowed 2 certain types of protein powders and I was wondering if there were some to be avoided. The farting bit will only bother us 2 nights a week but his room mate is on the same search for powders and shakes, possible source of gas energy near Preston if anyone is interested?!!

I'm not sure why they suggest particular brands unless they either had an affiliation or were more confident in the quality of said brands. The whey protein market is heavily saturated so there are tons of companies out there. Some will have more flavourings and sugar than others but typically you are free from more 'sinister' stuff.

Those sort of supplements tends to be either marketed as 'test boosters', 'prohormones' or sometimes preworkout supplements can contain unregulated ingredients.

If you are ever concerned with this side of things you can pull up WADA list of prohibited substances and check ingredients against them as no doubt they will eventually venture beyond just shakes if they are serious.

I can confirm many items I have ingested over the years are not WADA complaint 😅. Happy to offer more advice on this if ever required.

On 13/09/2023 at 17:07, Dawnrazor said:

Cheers for that👍

Not sure why they only allow 2 certain types as majority are all the same. 

I use Gold Standard Double Chocolate, always have done as its great value for the price you pay compared to the protein you get with each scoop. 

At that age only thing I would personally advise (others might not) would be to stay away from pre-workouts, some of them have extremely high caffeine content that affects fully grown adults let alone kids. 

On 17/09/2023 at 00:36, RS86 said:

I'm not sure why they suggest particular brands unless they either had an affiliation or were more confident in the quality of said brands. The whey protein market is heavily saturated so there are tons of companies out there. Some will have more flavourings and sugar than others but typically you are free from more 'sinister' stuff.

Those sort of supplements tends to be either marketed as 'test boosters', 'prohormones' or sometimes preworkout supplements can contain unregulated ingredients.

If you are ever concerned with this side of things you can pull up WADA list of prohibited substances and check ingredients against them as no doubt they will eventually venture beyond just shakes if they are serious.

I can confirm many items I have ingested over the years are not WADA complaint 😅. Happy to offer more advice on this if ever required.

Thanks 👍

6 hours ago, mbhmfc said:

Not sure why they only allow 2 certain types as majority are all the same. 

I use Gold Standard Double Chocolate, always have done as its great value for the price you pay compared to the protein you get with each scoop. 

At that age only thing I would personally advise (others might not) would be to stay away from pre-workouts, some of them have extremely high caffeine content that affects fully grown adults let alone kids. 

I'll tell him about the pre workout thing, thanks.