Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

there are loads of sites that will give you programmes dependant on your experience and goals bodybuilding.com, muscle fitness.com and myprotein.com google is your friend 

Toning up is generally staying about the same  weight but dropping fat and increasing muscles,  As ri points out technically that lower weight with high volume. I don’t really believe in that theory all that much as it essentially about forcing the muscle to tear to grow. Though each to their own.

Time under tension is key and you should focus on the push phase when pulling and vice versa. So if bench or envying don’t just push the weight up and drop it back to position. Lower under tension and you will be rewarded albeit progress will be slower 

Circuits probably not a part starting place and will give you cardio. Though I personally look to get my cardio through HIIT session. 

Any body transformation diet is key. You can’t out train a bad diet. Eat for the weight you want to be not you are. Make sure you get enough protien. A safe measure would be 2grams per pounds of body weight. I recommend recording as you’ll be surprised bout where calories are,. Concentrate on good quality food and stay away from processed crap. 

I would recommend things like photos each month and perhaps body measurements to monitor progress each month. You notice progress in photos much more than scales imo.

Good luck and enjoy, 

Cheers (+ ri Alban too)

I've dropped 2 stone this year. I'm now a fit but flabby 14stone.

No diet as such just cleaned up. The weights are only really to supplement the running.

I've been doing half marathons, can cover 20km+ fairly frequently now.

Ive picked up a wee niggle though which is where weights come in. Want to strengthen the core and glutes etc. And allows me to do some exercise while my leg hopefully recovers. Ive cycled and hiked too, so cardio well covered.

So I've been stricking to squats with the bar bell etc.

Roughly I've been doing 3 sets of ten reps for each exercise. A variety of a dozen exercises I found on Google. 

No real method in that but it just seemed a mid amount of reps to start somewhere. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Creepy Lurker

• Sten Guns

• RS86

• Snake Plissken

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I need to start taking protein again. Got out of the habit but it helps to add bulk and speeds up muscle recovery.   The downside is that you have to drop anchor in Poo bay a lot more than normal!

Posted Images

On 03/11/2020 at 07:43, Lord BJ said:

there are loads of sites that will give you programmes dependant on your experience and goals bodybuilding.com, muscle fitness.com and myprotein.com google is your friend 

Toning up is generally staying about the same  weight but dropping fat and increasing muscles,  As ri points out technically that lower weight with high volume. I don’t really believe in that theory all that much as it essentially about forcing the muscle to tear to grow. Though each to their own.

Time under tension is key and you should focus on the push phase when pulling and vice versa. So if bench or envying don’t just push the weight up and drop it back to position. Lower under tension and you will be rewarded albeit progress will be slower 

Circuits probably not a part starting place and will give you cardio. Though I personally look to get my cardio through HIIT session. 

Any body transformation diet is key. You can’t out train a bad diet. Eat for the weight you want to be not you are. Make sure you get enough protien. A safe measure would be 2grams per pounds of body weight. I recommend recording as you’ll be surprised bout where calories are,. Concentrate on good quality food and stay away from processed crap. 

I would recommend things like photos each month and perhaps body measurements to monitor progress each month. You notice progress in photos much more than scales imo.

Good luck and enjoy, 

Find that helps a lot tbh, bought a set of smart scales and the app that they connect to is great for recording measurements too so even if weight hasn't changed 

On 18/11/2020 at 14:56, ri Alban said:

Was about to hit the gyn next week, as I have a week off. 

Aa well... 

Im so glad mines in my house , but its horrific between the uncertainty of work , keeping up with regs for having anyone in to train and he mental thought of sharing equipment when I train etc. Iv found it really tough the last few weeks. Hardly trained at all. back to it today tho

Got a freebie session at Bodystreet in Morningside tomorrow, full body EMS training session, anyone tried it? (basically same idea as those electronic muscle stimulators/ab machines but full body while doing a workout)

Should add i'm not looking at doing this all the time, if it feels like it works i'll maybe go once a month as a boost to my normal gym routine

On 20/11/2020 at 15:56, Ribble said:

Got a freebie session at Bodystreet in Morningside tomorrow, full body EMS training session, anyone tried it? (basically same idea as those electronic muscle stimulators/ab machines but full body while doing a workout)

Should add i'm not looking at doing this all the time, if it feels like it works i'll maybe go once a month as a boost to my normal gym routine

How did it go?

1 hour ago, Van Wilder said:

How did it go?

I got my dates wrong and it was actually booked for tomorrow but have something else on so have had to re-schedule to the 5th of Dec, will report back after!

On 27/11/2020 at 14:26, Ribble said:

I got my dates wrong and it was actually booked for tomorrow but have something else on so have had to re-schedule to the 5th of Dec, will report back after!

My mates fitness studio offers this up here. She loves it , Iv not tried it but people I know that have used it “enjoy” it but say its proper hard going.

Enjoy 😈

On 01/12/2020 at 18:02, sadj said:

My mates fitness studio offers this up here. She loves it , Iv not tried it but people I know that have used it “enjoy” it but say its proper hard going.

Enjoy 😈

‘kin hell that was such a hard workout, can’t believe how hard that 20 min workout was!

16 excercises (mostly variations of squats) at 5 seconds on, 4 off for 20 mins while basically having a range of those slender tone ab things attached to your arms, chest, abs, back, thighs and arse all at as high a setting as you can take!

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

‘kin hell that was such a hard workout, can’t believe how hard that 20 min workout was!

16 excercises (mostly variations of squats) at 5 seconds on, 4 off for 20 mins while basically having a range of those slender tone ab things attached to your arms, chest, abs, back, thighs and arse all at as high a setting as you can take!

Enjoy it? 🤣

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Enjoy it? 🤣

To be honest, I really did, I’m pretty crap at doing different exercises on my own and tend to do the same things all the time at the gym so was good having someone tell me what to do as well as correcting posture etc

The machine you are hooked up to has flashing lights that constantly go green amber red with green being relax/ shake out, amber get in position and then red is the exercise where you have to tense everything, the instructor gets you to try it once where you are relaxed when it goes red, you will never do it a second time. Felt like I’d been tazed!

25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Watching Ninja warrior UK. That looks dangerous af. :D Anyone entered this before? 

You can try it down at seafield if you really want!

Done my first ultra marathon. 

Buzzing to achieve what's been a personal goal of mine for a wee while now. Been struggling with niggling injuries and ill prepared but managed marathon distance in 4hr48m and went on to surpass 50km in sub 6hr (5hr53m).

Not the fastest times but not bad for having a taped up leg.

Unsupported carrying a bag with a few supplies.

IMG_20201205_152247_932.jpg

5 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Done my first ultra marathon. 

Buzzing to achieve what's been a personal goal of mine for a wee while now. Been struggling with niggling injuries and ill prepared but managed marathon distance in 4hr48m and went on to surpass 50km in sub 6hr (5hr53m).

Not the fastest times but not bad for having a taped up leg.

Unsupported carrying a bag with a few supplies.

IMG_20201205_152247_932.jpg

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95279c20862e5039f3bd6

• 2 weeks later...

Ran 234km in 8 days! Earned myself the Lakeland Lapland Virtual Ultra. Started just five days after my first 50km and I've toiled at times with injuries but I pulled it back today with 47km covered to take me over the finish line!

If you'd told me pre lockdown I'd be running 100s of miles by the end of the year I'd think you were off your head.

Gym closed from Xmas eve until after lockdown ends, going to have to invest him some kit for home, probably some sort of turbo trainer and dumbbell or kettlebells. Lost over a stone since September so really don’t want to lose momentum.

9 hours ago, Ribble said:

Gym closed from Xmas eve until after lockdown ends, going to have to invest him some kit for home, probably some sort of turbo trainer and dumbbell or kettlebells. Lost over a stone since September so really don’t want to lose momentum.

I'm the same, home gym might have to be the new way. Tho every time I'm ready to go back training, something happens. My back went last Wednesday and it's still fecked. Hospital visit, if it last any longer. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm the same, home gym might have to be the new way. Tho every time I'm ready to go back training, something happens. My back went last Wednesday and it's still fecked. Hospital visit, if it last any longer. 

Yeah, we’re trying to sell our flat and move out the city to get a bigger house, hopefully with a garage which will be turned into a proper home gym.  Already picked out flooring, multi gym with punch bag, and a few other bits and pieces. Was planning to get a turbo trainer for the bike anyway but latest lockdown just made it earlier than planned.

On 19/12/2020 at 00:36, Alan_R said:

Ran 234km in 8 days! Earned myself the Lakeland Lapland Virtual Ultra. Started just five days after my first 50km and I've toiled at times with injuries but I pulled it back today with 47km covered to take me over the finish line!

If you'd told me pre lockdown I'd be running 100s of miles by the end of the year I'd think you were off your head.

Hopefully Santa brings you new trainers. Well done, bud. An astonishing achievement. :thumb:

Edited by ri Alban

Pull ups with 20kg today on belt. Was a first for me. Was a strange one has been struggling to progress but injury meant had to have a few days off and returning just felt strong. 

Pretty chuffed with myself.

Raging the gyms are shutting again. However, I have a rack and a bench at home so can at least still train albeit in a much more limited fashion. 

Planning to hit Jan quite hard and almost treat like a fight camp getting and complete dedication for a month. 

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Pull ups with 20kg today on belt. Was a first for me. Was a strange one has been struggling to progress but injury meant had to have a few days off and returning just felt strong. 

Pretty chuffed with myself.

Raging the gyms are shutting again. However, I have a rack and a bench at home so can at least still train albeit in a much more limited fashion. 

Planning to hit Jan quite hard and almost treat like a fight camp getting and complete dedication for a month. 

I'm envious, I'm absolutely kack at resistance stuff etc. I've been adding press ups and weights just to aid the running/weight loss. 

I couldn't even do one pull up until very recently. So 20kg weighted would crumble me. Well in.

12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hopefully Santa brings you new trainers. Well done, bud. An astonishing achievement. :thumb:

Cheers mate, will admit I'm pretty chuffed with myself for that one.

First thing Mrs said was leave it til next year before I attempt my next daft idea 😂

3 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

I'm envious, I'm absolutely kack at resistance stuff etc. I've been adding press ups and weights just to aid the running/weight loss. 

I couldn't even do one pull up until very recently. So 20kg weighted would crumble me. Well in.

Cheers mate, will admit I'm pretty chuffed with myself for that one.

First thing Mrs said was leave it til next year before I attempt my next daft idea 😂

Cheers

Well I could never do the running you do and actually just looking at those numbers it’s amazes me and considering how quickly you’ve gone from couch to ultramarathons is a real credit to you. Something most people don’t have in them. 

You must be built like Mo Farah now burning that many calories. 

8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Cheers

Well I could never do the running you do and actually just looking at those numbers it’s amazes me and considering how quickly you’ve gone from couch to ultramarathons is a real credit to you. Something most people don’t have in them. 

You must be built like Mo Farah now burning that many calories. 

Still a bit heavy but now lost 3 stone.

I'm just a plodder but I seem to be no bad at the mental side of just grinding stuff out.

He won't be everyone's cup of tea but I've watched a lot of David Goggins. Just trying to tap in to some of his secret sauce, guys an absolute machine 

Edited by Alan_R
10 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Still a bit heavy but now lost 3 stone.

I'm just a plodder but I seem to be no bad at the mental side of just grinding stuff out.

He won't be everyone's cup of tea but I've watched a lot of David Goggins. Just trying to tap in to some of his secret sauce, guys an absolute machine 

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we are again in lockdown. I’m much better prepared for it this time squat rack, bench, trx straps, barbell and dumbbells with enough weight to suffice. All set up in one of my garages. 

Workouts have been hard in this weather. Its so cold I’m having to wear multiple layers. Had 4 lawyers on top half, 3 on the bottom and hats and still struggling with the temp. Feel like picking up minor strains with cold.

Thats said treating in the right manner. Concentrating on a lot of time under tensions, whilst integrating pauses at the bottom of squats, bench just trying to really strengthen a few areas and keeping working on form. My diet is tip top as well, so really just got to ensure consistency for the next few week and keep making progress.

Went for it and bought a 2nd hand turbo trainer, really bloody noisy so glad the guy next door has moved to his birds for lockdown, flat below is empty so the turbo will do until the gyms open gain and will then be used as part of my own setup in the shad or garage when we eventually move house.

I'll probably retire through injury. I'll have 1 last attempt post pandemic, tho. 

Happy New Year and well done on all your achievements in this shite year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Trapped a nerve working out this morning. Felt, a bit of pain when benching but just tried to work through. Went for overhead press and thought I had been tasered. Now walking about like like a hunchback, I’m in a bundle of pain and limited movement in right side. 

Amy tips for treatment, more than welcome as in fair bit of bit of pain and getting cranky. 

Governor Tarkin
22 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Trapped a nerve working out this morning. Felt, a bit of pain when benching but just tried to work through. Went for overhead press and thought I had been tasered. Now walking about like like a hunchback, I’m in a bundle of pain and limited movement in right side. 

Amy tips for treatment, more than welcome as in fair bit of bit of pain and getting cranky. 

Ibuprofen and codeine for a couple of days then drop the codeine.

Where is the nerve pinched?

34 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Ibuprofen and codeine for a couple of days then drop the codeine.

Where is the nerve pinched?

Cheers. Went tramadol and white widow, usually a good pain killer combo not so much in this situation. 

Back shoulder blade right hand side. Been using a trigger ball to try and realise. Also had neck over edge of bed and trying to rotate neck which weirdly release some tension and enable movement but when I do it’s that blinding type pain. 

If I could see a sport physio I use I’m pretty sure they could get it released via manipulation or sticking some needles in but alas not allowed. 

It must be easing off to some extent not as lopsided as was. 

Like you say rest/time is required. 

Governor Tarkin
23 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Cheers. Went tramadol and white widow, usually a good pain killer combo not so much in this situation. 

Back shoulder blade right hand side. Been using a trigger ball to try and realise. Also had neck over edge of bed and trying to rotate neck which weirdly release some tension and enable movement but when I do it’s that blinding type pain. 

If I could see a sport physio I use I’m pretty sure they could get it released via manipulation or sticking some needles in but alas not allowed. 

It must be easing off to some extent not as lopsided as was. 

Like you say rest/time is required. 

There's never a good time but this is a really unfortunate time.

If it's really bad get yourself up to A&E and ham it up (not that you need to).

You might get a pain killing injection that'll see you through a few days until it starts to ease naturally.

I've previously nipped one upper pec just below the shoulder. Lost all mobility in right arm. Was like I'd had a stroke. Took a while to get back to normality.

23 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

There's never a good time but this is a really unfortunate time.

If it's really bad get yourself up to A&E and ham it up (not that you need to).

You might get a pain killing injection that'll see you through a few days until it starts to ease naturally.

I've previously nipped one upper pec just below the shoulder. Lost all mobility in right arm. Was like I'd had a stroke. Took a while to get back to normality.

Couldn’t tough out any longer, caved to wife telling me to contact quacks. She did not appreciate my pain interrupting her sleep. 

Anyway video appointment. Confirms trapped nerve abd even has a name for it. Apparently coming from my neck to shoulder and arm not other way about. 

Keep on with pain med and been prescribed some trapped nerve medication. To be taken at night and not allowed to drive following day, 

Looking forward to that if nothing else🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Lord BJ
Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Couldn’t tough out any longer, caved to wife telling me to contact quacks. She did not appreciate my pain interrupting her sleep. 

Anyway video appointment. Confirms trapped nerve abd even has a name for it. Apparently coming from my neck to shoulder and arm not other way about. 

Keep on with pain med and been prescribed some trapped nerve medication. To be taken at night and not allowed to drive following day, 

Amitriptyline? 

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Amitriptyline? 

It is indeed that just having picked up from chemist. 

Any good?

Governor Tarkin
51 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It is indeed that just having picked up from chemist. 

Any good?

Amiltrampoline. 

Not my kind of dunt but I do know folk who enjoy them. 

You can report back tomorrow. :)

8 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Get misses to get her elbows and knees into the area of concern. Deep massage will free it up. And a nice hot radox bath, cider and cocodamol usually does the trick for me, bud. Just don't drown. :D

Edited by ri Alban
15 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Amiltrampoline. 

Not my kind of dunt but I do know folk who enjoy them. 

You can report back tomorrow. :)

Well meh. In fairness I just took the prescribed dose as opppsed to a pack with a bottle of vodka which some might go for. 

Pain is no better but I did get a much better nights sleep, which is something. 

Anyway hopefully it starts easing soon. 

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Well meh. In fairness I just took the prescribed dose as opppsed to a pack with a bottle of vodka which some might go for. 

Pain is no better but I did get a much better nights sleep, which is something. 

Anyway hopefully it starts easing soon. 

It'll take a few days to start working properly on the pain.

In the mean time you may start to feel a bit of a zombie.

Trapped a nerve in my arm years ago which was agony when i sat down (was at Easter road and had to keep standing up, was binned out by the stewards, *****)

Anyway Amitriptyline worked a treat, but did take a few days to kick in.  Slept for 12 hours a night too .

Armageddon

Never been on a spin bike in my puff but really fancy buying one and using with the Peloton app.  

Anyone have any experience of spin bikes? I’m thinking I’d not buy the Peloton bike as it’s nearly £2k but a £400 Amazon alternative and set it up like the Peloton.

Running wasn’t floating my boat and I’ve put a stone on in 8 months - at 42 I really want to shift it ASAP while lockdown looks like it’ll be here for a while yet.

All pointers appreciated!

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Never been on a spin bike in my puff but really fancy buying one and using with the Peloton app.  

Anyone have any experience of spin bikes? I’m thinking I’d not buy the Peloton bike as it’s nearly £2k but a £400 Amazon alternative and set it up like the Peloton.

Running wasn’t floating my boat and I’ve put a stone on in 8 months - at 42 I really want to shift it ASAP while lockdown looks like it’ll be here for a while yet.

All pointers appreciated!

Walk up and down the stairs for 20 minutes each morning and that should fire up the fat burning. And stuff your face with water instead of food between meals. 

Anyway I was looking at the bike thing, but for 2 grand I could enter the TdF. 

My trapped nerves has been agony, though now that it’s moving but much more pain than just a trapped nerve. I can’t even stand straight without a shit ton of pain. 

Managed to get a Chiropractor/sports physio appointment. It was only meant to be for a consultation but the girl took pity and started making some adjustments. 

Interestingly she thinks my issue is actually a fault in the left side which is causing issue in the right. Anyway the girl got a cracking and I start swearing like a 90’s rapper. 

The sound from the neck cracking echoed through the place and caused me to immediately shout you ****ing *****. Not the best choice 😞

I can’t say I feel anywhere close to a 100% but I have to concede there has definitely been a release/reduction of pain in some areas. Whilst I’m standing much straighter . It’s also the best I have felt since I did it. 

Back in next week for another dose and hoping that is going to manage to sort the immediate issue and might make a regular thing. 

Desperate to get back to lifting.

13 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

My trapped nerves has been agony, though now that it’s moving but much more pain than just a trapped nerve. I can’t even stand straight without a shit ton of pain. 

Managed to get a Chiropractor/sports physio appointment. It was only meant to be for a consultation but the girl took pity and started making some adjustments. 

Interestingly she thinks my issue is actually a fault in the left side which is causing issue in the right. Anyway the girl got a cracking and I start swearing like a 90’s rapper. 

The sound from the neck cracking echoed through the place and caused me to immediately shout you ****ing *****. Not the best choice 😞

I can’t say I feel anywhere close to a 100% but I have to concede there has definitely been a release/reduction of pain in some areas. Whilst I’m standing much straighter . It’s also the best I have felt since I did it. 

Back in next week for another dose and hoping that is going to manage to sort the immediate issue and might make a regular thing. 

Desperate to get back to lifting.

Best of luck, Lordie. Hope it gets sorted. 

Auldbenches

Been doing pilates type stretching with a strong band to develop my core because of back pain.   

Done a fair bit yesterday and woke up at four feeling like I had cracked a rib.  Sore breathing and getting up. 

Had doc on the phone to see what it was.   He diagnosed the above and said take it easy.   How long does pain from this type of stretching last?

This is still sore