Jump to content

Fitness Thread


Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Recommended Posts

During lockdown, we had a few traumas so didn't really look after ourselves. My wife and I put on weight through eating too much, drinking too much and, particularly for me, missing the gym.

I discovered Les Mills on demand a couple months ago now and I have to say I love it. 

Bodypump and the GRIT workouts are particularly difficult. 

Can't escape working out in the garage or loving room, there is clear plans you can follow and a really good community. The gym might be open but I might just stick with this.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Creepy Lurker

    598

  • Sten Guns

    425

  • RS86

    323

  • Snake Plissken

    289

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I need to start taking protein again. Got out of the habit but it helps to add bulk and speeds up muscle recovery.   The downside is that you have to drop anchor in Poo bay a lot more than normal!

Posted Images

Been back at the gym last couple of days. Had worked out during lockdown but nowhere near to same extent, level as intensity as achieve at the gym. Plus diet nowhere near where should been. 

 

Legs today and return to the squat rack. Wasn’t as bad as feared though feels like walking on rubber. Though did enjoy squatting again. 
 

Just feels so much better having full range of equipment, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mauricio Pinilla

Anyone who goes to pure gym - are you allowed to take a small towel in with you? Seeing conflicting info on that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been hitting the workouts hard since gym reopened. Not a part of my body that isn’t sore. Just working out at the gym has tightened the diet up massively as well so win win.
 

@Mauricio Pinilla can’t comment on Pure Gum but my gym is a definite no no to take sweat towels or whatever you want to call them in. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Been hitting the workouts hard since gym reopened. Not a part of my body that isn’t sore. Just working out at the gym has tightened the diet up massively as well so win win.
 

@Mauricio Pinilla can’t comment on Pure Gum but my gym is a definite no no to take sweat towels or whatever you want to call them in. 
 

Are people using the Treadmills etc...? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ri Alban said:

Are people using the Treadmills etc...? 


Yeah I would say slightly more people on the cardio equipment than the weights. 
 

The weight area hasn’t been too bad never had to wait to use anything. Though a few things seem to have disappeared due to COVID. Ropes are removed so no battle or cable rows. 
 

Loving being back though. 
 

Why ain’t yours opening till 14 September? 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:


Yeah I would say slightly more people on the cardio equipment than the weights. 
 

The weight area hasn’t been too bad never had to wait to use anything. Though a few things seem to have disappeared due to COVID. Ropes are removed so no battle or cable rows. 
 

Loving being back though. 
 

Why ain’t yours opening till 14 September? 
 

 

Renfrewshire leisure are dragging their heels. :seething:

Enjoy bud! 👍

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mauricio Pinilla
29 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Been hitting the workouts hard since gym reopened. Not a part of my body that isn’t sore. Just working out at the gym has tightened the diet up massively as well so win win.
 

@Mauricio Pinilla can’t comment on Pure Gum but my gym is a definite no no to take sweat towels or whatever you want to call them in. 
 

 

Cheers 👍 I thought they were banned outright but read on their site the other day that they were allowed. I sweat absolute buckets doing cardio so that's a no go if I can't take a towel in :lol: be good to get back on the weights though. Been doing plenty home workouts for cardio anyway so don't mind carrying on with them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Haringshairband

I'm trying to gain weight/muscle. I've been working quite a lot which means doing up to 25000 steps per day. I'm going to have to pack in the calories? I already feel too full with my pasta and smoothie an snacking on cashew nuts. Think I'm going to struggle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

I'm trying to gain weight/muscle. I've been working quite a lot which means doing up to 25000 steps per day. I'm going to have to pack in the calories? I already feel too full with my pasta and smoothie an snacking on cashew nuts. Think I'm going to struggle.

 

Whats your current situation? Do you normally train weights at the gym, or you starting from scratch?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Haringshairband
2 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

 

Whats your current situation? Do you normally train weights at the gym, or you starting from scratch?

Starting from scratch. I'm looking a bit skinny and decided I need to bulk up. Been watching a lot of YouTube videos. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Haringshairband said:

Starting from scratch. I'm looking a bit skinny and decided I need to bulk up. Been watching a lot of YouTube videos. 

 

If you are starting from scratch. I would suggest the best thing to do is just to start training weights on a regular basis. 

 

Get yourself in the gym 3 x times a week consistently doing weights. 

 

Stick to a simple training plan/split. Keep a log of the weights you use and reps completed in your workout each week and try to beat the log the following week (adding an extra rep, or more weight). 

 

At your stage I honestly would not worry about diet too much. Just eat a normal balanced diet; the main thing when starting out is just to get used to the habit of training regularly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Haringshairband
3 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

 

If you are starting from scratch. I would suggest the best thing to do is just to start training weights on a regular basis. 

 

Get yourself in the gym 3 x times a week consistently doing weights. 

 

Stick to a simple training plan/split. Keep a log of the weights you use and reps completed in your workout each week and try to beat the log the following week (adding an extra rep, or more weight). 

 

At your stage I honestly would not worry about diet too much. Just eat a normal balanced diet; the main thing when starting out is just to get used to the habit of training regularly. 

Thanks for the advice mate. I'll be in the gym tomorrow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Haringshairband said:

I'm trying to gain weight/muscle. I've been working quite a lot which means doing up to 25000 steps per day. I'm going to have to pack in the calories? I already feel too full with my pasta and smoothie an snacking on cashew nuts. Think I'm going to struggle.

If you want to gain muscle, you need to drop the cardio to only light. Porridge, eggs and chicken are your friend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Haringshairband said:

I'm trying to gain weight/muscle. I've been working quite a lot which means doing up to 25000 steps per day. I'm going to have to pack in the calories? I already feel too full with my pasta and smoothie an snacking on cashew nuts. Think I'm going to struggle.

 

1 teaspoon of olive oil is around 40-50 calories so that's an easy way to add some calories and good fats to your diet.

 

I also used to add ground oats to shakes for extra calories, but doesn't agree with my stomach any more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to train throughout lockdown but it's been all over the place for me. Had a strongman comp cancelled and rescheduled 4x which has messed up any training blocks I was working through and I also managed to injure my hamstring and tear my quad within the last few months too. Finally back at a point where I can push on again and with any luck finally competing end of next month.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Haringshairband
18 hours ago, ri Alban said:

If you want to gain muscle, you need to drop the cardio to only light. Porridge, eggs and chicken are your friend. 

Unfortunately i can't as my job entails a lot of walking and lifting. I could live on all 3 so that suits me 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Haringshairband
29 minutes ago, RS86 said:

 

1 teaspoon of olive oil is around 40-50 calories so that's an easy way to add some calories and good fats to your diet.

 

I also used to add ground oats to shakes for extra calories, but doesn't agree with my stomach any more.

Thanks for the tips

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Haringshairband said:

Unfortunately i can't as my job entails a lot of walking and lifting. I could live on all 3 so that suits me 👍

Walking is just fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RS86 said:

I managed to train throughout lockdown but it's been all over the place for me. Had a strongman comp cancelled and rescheduled 4x which has messed up any training blocks I was working through and I also managed to injure my hamstring and tear my quad within the last few months too. Finally back at a point where I can push on again and with any luck finally competing end of next month.

I used to add porridge to my protein. Fecking awful! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I used to add porridge to my protein. Fecking awful! 

 

Fine ground oats is OK I find, but oats you'd get from supermarket are too thick :lol:.

 

My current shakes actually have maltodextrin in them for easy calories.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2020 at 18:50, RS86 said:

 

Fine ground oats is OK I find, but oats you'd get from supermarket are too thick :lol:.

 

My current shakes actually have maltodextrin in them for easy calories.


Wouldn’t advise that.

 

If you looking for easy calories nuts, olive oil, dried fruit, cottage cheese, Greek yoghurts, nut butters are all excellent sources. Look online can get some decent recipes,  for things like homeade peanut balls and things which will be much better for you tasty and nutriotous
 

If you want to put size you can’t be afraid of carbs.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:


Wouldn’t advise that.

 

If you looking for easy calories nuts, olive oil, dried fruit, cottage cheese, Greek yoghurts, nut butters are all excellent sources. Look online can get some decent recipes,  for things like homeade peanut balls and things which will be much better for you tasty and nutriotous
 

If you want to put size you can’t be afraid of carbs.
 

 

 

Wouldn't advise what? Ground oats or maltodextrin?

Link to post
Share on other sites

maltodextrin it’s just an artificial sweetener and not particukary great for you. If looking for sweetener look at naturally occurring stuff honey and fruit are both good, 
 

Ground oats I would recommend. 
 

Generally my pre work shake with oats, protien powder, fruits and Greek yoghurt. It about 500 calories easy to take and fuel for workout. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

maltodextrin it’s just an artificial sweetener and not particukary great for you. If looking for sweetener look at naturally occurring stuff honey and fruit are both good, 
 

Ground oats I would recommend. 
 

Generally my pre work shake with oats, protien powder, fruits and Greek yoghurt. It about 500 calories easy to take and fuel for workout. 
 

 

 

I generally wouldn't suggest other people use it, but for me it fits in fine. Because of the intensity of my training and need for glycogen stores to be replenished it helps me to have some sugar in there infrequently. It's a sugar btw, not a sweetner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lord BJ said:


Wouldn’t advise that.

 

If you looking for easy calories nuts, olive oil, dried fruit, cottage cheese, Greek yoghurts, nut butters are all excellent sources. Look online can get some decent recipes,  for things like homeade peanut balls and things which will be much better for you tasty and nutriotous
 

If you want to put size you can’t be afraid of carbs.
 

 

Pizza!!!!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RS86 said:

 

I legit eat at least 1 pizza every week and sometimes 2 😆

Italian people live a long time. I like a Frankie Valli, now and then. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been throwing crosstrainer in once a week between gym sessions to try and improve my recovery and i'm finding just doing a steady pace for around 15km has made a big difference easing up my legs and hips. Need to push for a 2nd day I think, helps counteract sitting at a desk all day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2020 at 04:57, ri Alban said:

Pizza!!!!!! 

One of the top woman ultramarathoners won 100 mile+ race drinking beer and eating tacos cause she was just incinerating the calories 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve only been to gym a couple times lately . I just didn’t feel comfortable as it was quite busy . What the risks at the present time regarding covid and gyms ? Anyone got any information regarding this ? Also anyone know where I can get a decent exercise bike reasonably priced ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/09/2020 at 20:48, Lord BJ said:

maltodextrin it’s just an artificial sweetener and not particukary great for you. If looking for sweetener look at naturally occurring stuff honey and fruit are both good, 
 

Ground oats I would recommend. 
 

Generally my pre work shake with oats, protien powder, fruits and Greek yoghurt. It about 500 calories easy to take and fuel for workout. 
 

 

What about olives ? I love them and they have great nutrional value I believe but unsure if they are fattening . I eat a jar of them a day 👀

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/09/2020 at 08:52, RS86 said:

20200927_151840.thumb.jpg.1e3cfe1b687e717677a506d7d11c543e.jpg

 

This has to be one of the more fun things I've been doing lately. Takes it out of you after a few throws

 

Christ man, they could have set that bar another 4 feet higher

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have spent this entire year undoing progress

 

I entered 2020 weight training with a sprinkling of cardio. I was approaching a few PB's and making good progress when the gyms shut.

 

Not to be detered I took up running and cycling rather than sitting getting fat.

I covered thousands of miles on my bike, got to knocking out 100k's 2 to 3 times a week, dropped about a stone and a half (probably mostly muscle) and topped out mid-August with two 100 mile cycles in the space of 3 days.

That was my goal, get to the 100 mile mark and it kind of hit the wall when I got there, only been on the exercise bike in the house once since.

 

Had a bad end of August- start of September with a berievement and general lack of mojo and eating shit and drinking saw me gain most of a stone back on

 

But since my gym opened on the 14th, I have done weights every day bar one or two and am now almost exclusively focussed on weight training and strength, totally negating most of the fitness gains I made and trying to recover the muscle I pedalled away.

 

In overall effort 2020 has been a massive success and I've stayed surprisingly injury free

In any sort of gains or progress, I have utterly sabotaged myself at every turn 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, davie1980 said:

Well I have spent this entire year undoing progress

 

I entered 2020 weight training with a sprinkling of cardio. I was approaching a few PB's and making good progress when the gyms shut.

 

Not to be detered I took up running and cycling rather than sitting getting fat.

I covered thousands of miles on my bike, got to knocking out 100k's 2 to 3 times a week, dropped about a stone and a half (probably mostly muscle) and topped out mid-August with two 100 mile cycles in the space of 3 days.

That was my goal, get to the 100 mile mark and it kind of hit the wall when I got there, only been on the exercise bike in the house once since.

 

Had a bad end of August- start of September with a berievement and general lack of mojo and eating shit and drinking saw me gain most of a stone back on

 

But since my gym opened on the 14th, I have done weights every day bar one or two and am now almost exclusively focussed on weight training and strength, totally negating most of the fitness gains I made and trying to recover the muscle I pedalled away.

 

In overall effort 2020 has been a massive success and I've stayed surprisingly injury free

In any sort of gains or progress, I have utterly sabotaged myself at every turn 

 

Credit to you for keeping active and finding other things to do when the gyms closed. Adapt and overcome as the saying goes

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RS86 said:

 

Credit to you for keeping active and finding other things to do when the gyms closed. Adapt and overcome as the saying goes

 

Aye, adapt and overcome my own progress

 

🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davie1980 said:

 

Aye, adapt and overcome my own progress

 

🤣

 

'Fitness' can be measured in so many ways though so if you're back gaining muscle and strength after a period of building your endurance and stamina you'll end up in a better place than when you started soon enough.

 

It's been a real eye opener for me seeing people after a few months of lockdown and almost everyone has noticeably gained weight and got out of shape. Some people I know have really struggled to stay motivated to get anything done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RS86 said:

 

'Fitness' can be measured in so many ways though so if you're back gaining muscle and strength after a period of building your endurance and stamina you'll end up in a better place than when you started soon enough.

 

It's been a real eye opener for me seeing people after a few months of lockdown and almost everyone has noticeably gained weight and got out of shape. Some people I know have really struggled to stay motivated to get anything done.

 

Can't complain too much, it has been a good spell of training.

 

I did however just win the platform Marabou challenge.

Effectively, I ate a 250g bar of Swedish chocolate in 5min 1 second. Faster than anyone else on the rig.

 

I am slightly disgusted with myself while strutting around like a peacock displaying my tail feathers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not your average post here but...anything I can do to stop getting static shocked by the treadmill at the gym when I grab thr rails for support?

I'm sure it's likely a build up as my arms brush against my t-shirt when running.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2020 at 08:52, RS86 said:

20200927_151840.thumb.jpg.1e3cfe1b687e717677a506d7d11c543e.jpg

 

This has to be one of the more fun things I've been doing lately. Takes it out of you after a few throws


We all know they are 10kg bags 😉 , looking in good shape pal , good to see. Hope you and the family are well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sadj said:


We all know they are 10kg bags 😉 , looking in good shape pal , good to see. Hope you and the family are well. 

 

Haha. Wish they were tbh, it fair takes it out of you after a few throws. Competing a week on Sat and one event is a medley, throw 16 and 18kg bag over 4m onto carry a 90kg and 100kg bag for 10m each. Will be tough but it's over quick at least lol.

 

Keeping well thanks, mrs has been up and down because we're expecting number 5 but generally she's OK. Hope you're well and still grinding away

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RS86 said:

 

Haha. Wish they were tbh, it fair takes it out of you after a few throws. Competing a week on Sat and one event is a medley, throw 16 and 18kg bag over 4m onto carry a 90kg and 100kg bag for 10m each. Will be tough but it's over quick at least lol.

 

Keeping well thanks, mrs has been up and down because we're expecting number 5 but generally she's OK. Hope you're well and still grinding away

Am indeed , congrats to you both mate. That actually sounds like a decent comp , id enjoy that. Not sure about throwing the bags uP and over that might be a stretch just now though

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sadj said:

Am indeed , congrats to you both mate. That actually sounds like a decent comp , id enjoy that. Not sure about throwing the bags uP and over that might be a stretch just now though

 

Thanks 🙂. No5 though, gonna have my work cut out haha

Edited by RS86
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got a dumbell set and a bar bell.

 

I'm very much a novice with weights. Anyone recommend any good links or tips?

 

Not wanting to get bulky just want to tone up and improve core to supplement the cardio

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Finally got a dumbell set and a bar bell.

 

I'm very much a novice with weights. Anyone recommend any good links or tips?

 

Not wanting to get bulky just want to tone up and improve core to supplement the cardio

To tone up you'll need to go on a diet. High rep/drop set, no rest sets is the way to go to help accelerate the fat burn. But you'll on gain true definition through your diet. 

 

Personally don't do high rep sets as it tends to be lightweight sessions. And if I want to be little, I'll lift little weights. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Finally got a dumbell set and a bar bell.

 

I'm very much a novice with weights. Anyone recommend any good links or tips?

 

Not wanting to get bulky just want to tone up and improve core to supplement the cardio


there are loads of sites that will give you programmes dependant on your experience and goals bodybuilding.com, muscle fitness.com and myprotein.com google is your friend 
 

Toning up is generally staying about the same  weight but dropping fat and increasing muscles,  As ri points out technically that lower weight with high volume. I don’t really believe in that theory all that much as it essentially about forcing the muscle to tear to grow. Though each to their own.

 

Time under tension is key and you should focus on the push phase when pulling and vice versa. So if bench or envying don’t just push the weight up and drop it back to position. Lower under tension and you will be rewarded albeit progress will be slower 

 

Circuits probably not a part starting place and will give you cardio. Though I personally look to get my cardio through HIIT session. 

 

Any body transformation diet is key. You can’t out train a bad diet. Eat for the weight you want to be not you are. Make sure you get enough protien. A safe measure would be 2grams per pounds of body weight. I recommend recording as you’ll be surprised bout where calories are,. Concentrate on good quality food and stay away from processed crap. 

 

I would recommend things like photos each month and perhaps body measurements to monitor progress each month. You notice progress in photos much more than scales imo.
 

Good luck and enjoy, 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...