Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Fitness Thread

Bozi

During lockdown, we had a few traumas so didn't really look after ourselves. My wife and I put on weight through eating too much, drinking too much and, particularly for me, missing the gym.

I discovered Les Mills on demand a couple months ago now and I have to say I love it. 

Bodypump and the GRIT workouts are particularly difficult. 

Can't escape working out in the garage or loving room, there is clear plans you can follow and a really good community. The gym might be open but I might just stick with this.

Lord BJ

Been back at the gym last couple of days. Had worked out during lockdown but nowhere near to same extent, level as intensity as achieve at the gym. Plus diet nowhere near where should been. 

Legs today and return to the squat rack. Wasn’t as bad as feared though feels like walking on rubber. Though did enjoy squatting again. 

Just feels so much better having full range of equipment, 

Mauricio Pinilla

Anyone who goes to pure gym - are you allowed to take a small towel in with you? Seeing conflicting info on that. 

Mauricio Pinilla

Edited by Mauricio Pinilla

ri Alban

14 th of September until my gym opens. :yadayada:

:D

Lord BJ

Been hitting the workouts hard since gym reopened. Not a part of my body that isn’t sore. Just working out at the gym has tightened the diet up massively as well so win win.

@Mauricio Pinilla can’t comment on Pure Gum but my gym is a definite no no to take sweat towels or whatever you want to call them in. 

ri Alban
8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Been hitting the workouts hard since gym reopened. Not a part of my body that isn’t sore. Just working out at the gym has tightened the diet up massively as well so win win.

@Mauricio Pinilla can’t comment on Pure Gum but my gym is a definite no no to take sweat towels or whatever you want to call them in. 

Are people using the Treadmills etc...? 

Lord BJ
Just now, ri Alban said:

Are people using the Treadmills etc...? 

Yeah I would say slightly more people on the cardio equipment than the weights. 

The weight area hasn’t been too bad never had to wait to use anything. Though a few things seem to have disappeared due to COVID. Ropes are removed so no battle or cable rows. 

Loving being back though. 

Why ain’t yours opening till 14 September? 

ri Alban
10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Yeah I would say slightly more people on the cardio equipment than the weights. 

The weight area hasn’t been too bad never had to wait to use anything. Though a few things seem to have disappeared due to COVID. Ropes are removed so no battle or cable rows. 

Loving being back though. 

Why ain’t yours opening till 14 September? 

Renfrewshire leisure are dragging their heels. :seething:

Enjoy bud! 👍

Mauricio Pinilla
29 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Cheers 👍 I thought they were banned outright but read on their site the other day that they were allowed. I sweat absolute buckets doing cardio so that's a no go if I can't take a towel in :lol: be good to get back on the weights though. Been doing plenty home workouts for cardio anyway so don't mind carrying on with them. 

Haringshairband

I'm trying to gain weight/muscle. I've been working quite a lot which means doing up to 25000 steps per day. I'm going to have to pack in the calories? I already feel too full with my pasta and smoothie an snacking on cashew nuts. Think I'm going to struggle.

TheOak88
2 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

I'm trying to gain weight/muscle. I've been working quite a lot which means doing up to 25000 steps per day. I'm going to have to pack in the calories? I already feel too full with my pasta and smoothie an snacking on cashew nuts. Think I'm going to struggle.

Whats your current situation? Do you normally train weights at the gym, or you starting from scratch?

Haringshairband
2 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Whats your current situation? Do you normally train weights at the gym, or you starting from scratch?

Starting from scratch. I'm looking a bit skinny and decided I need to bulk up. Been watching a lot of YouTube videos. 

TheOak88
1 minute ago, Haringshairband said:

Starting from scratch. I'm looking a bit skinny and decided I need to bulk up. Been watching a lot of YouTube videos. 

If you are starting from scratch. I would suggest the best thing to do is just to start training weights on a regular basis. 

Get yourself in the gym 3 x times a week consistently doing weights. 

Stick to a simple training plan/split. Keep a log of the weights you use and reps completed in your workout each week and try to beat the log the following week (adding an extra rep, or more weight). 

At your stage I honestly would not worry about diet too much. Just eat a normal balanced diet; the main thing when starting out is just to get used to the habit of training regularly. 

Haringshairband
3 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

If you are starting from scratch. I would suggest the best thing to do is just to start training weights on a regular basis. 

Get yourself in the gym 3 x times a week consistently doing weights. 

Stick to a simple training plan/split. Keep a log of the weights you use and reps completed in your workout each week and try to beat the log the following week (adding an extra rep, or more weight). 

At your stage I honestly would not worry about diet too much. Just eat a normal balanced diet; the main thing when starting out is just to get used to the habit of training regularly. 

Thanks for the advice mate. I'll be in the gym tomorrow. 

ri Alban
1 hour ago, Haringshairband said:

If you want to gain muscle, you need to drop the cardio to only light. Porridge, eggs and chicken are your friend. 

RS86
18 hours ago, Haringshairband said:

1 teaspoon of olive oil is around 40-50 calories so that's an easy way to add some calories and good fats to your diet.

I also used to add ground oats to shakes for extra calories, but doesn't agree with my stomach any more.

RS86

I managed to train throughout lockdown but it's been all over the place for me. Had a strongman comp cancelled and rescheduled 4x which has messed up any training blocks I was working through and I also managed to injure my hamstring and tear my quad within the last few months too. Finally back at a point where I can push on again and with any luck finally competing end of next month.

Haringshairband
18 hours ago, ri Alban said:

If you want to gain muscle, you need to drop the cardio to only light. Porridge, eggs and chicken are your friend. 

Unfortunately i can't as my job entails a lot of walking and lifting. I could live on all 3 so that suits me 👍

Haringshairband
29 minutes ago, RS86 said:

1 teaspoon of olive oil is around 40-50 calories so that's an easy way to add some calories and good fats to your diet.

I also used to add ground oats to shakes for extra calories, but doesn't agree with my stomach any more.

Thanks for the tips

ri Alban
2 hours ago, Haringshairband said:

Unfortunately i can't as my job entails a lot of walking and lifting. I could live on all 3 so that suits me 👍

Walking is just fine. 

ri Alban
3 hours ago, RS86 said:

I managed to train throughout lockdown but it's been all over the place for me. Had a strongman comp cancelled and rescheduled 4x which has messed up any training blocks I was working through and I also managed to injure my hamstring and tear my quad within the last few months too. Finally back at a point where I can push on again and with any luck finally competing end of next month.

I used to add porridge to my protein. Fecking awful! 

RS86
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I used to add porridge to my protein. Fecking awful! 

Fine ground oats is OK I find, but oats you'd get from supermarket are too thick :lol:.

My current shakes actually have maltodextrin in them for easy calories.

Lord BJ
On 16/09/2020 at 18:50, RS86 said:

Fine ground oats is OK I find, but oats you'd get from supermarket are too thick :lol:.

My current shakes actually have maltodextrin in them for easy calories.

Wouldn’t advise that.

If you looking for easy calories nuts, olive oil, dried fruit, cottage cheese, Greek yoghurts, nut butters are all excellent sources. Look online can get some decent recipes,  for things like homeade peanut balls and things which will be much better for you tasty and nutriotous

If you want to put size you can’t be afraid of carbs.

RS86
3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Wouldn’t advise that.

If you looking for easy calories nuts, olive oil, dried fruit, cottage cheese, Greek yoghurts, nut butters are all excellent sources. Look online can get some decent recipes,  for things like homeade peanut balls and things which will be much better for you tasty and nutriotous

Wouldn't advise what? Ground oats or maltodextrin?

Lord BJ

maltodextrin it’s just an artificial sweetener and not particukary great for you. If looking for sweetener look at naturally occurring stuff honey and fruit are both good, 

Ground oats I would recommend. 

Generally my pre work shake with oats, protien powder, fruits and Greek yoghurt. It about 500 calories easy to take and fuel for workout. 

RS86
32 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

maltodextrin it’s just an artificial sweetener and not particukary great for you. If looking for sweetener look at naturally occurring stuff honey and fruit are both good, 

Ground oats I would recommend. 

Generally my pre work shake with oats, protien powder, fruits and Greek yoghurt. It about 500 calories easy to take and fuel for workout. 

I generally wouldn't suggest other people use it, but for me it fits in fine. Because of the intensity of my training and need for glycogen stores to be replenished it helps me to have some sugar in there infrequently. It's a sugar btw, not a sweetner.

ri Alban
12 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Wouldn’t advise that.

Pizza!!!!!! 

RS86
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Pizza!!!!!! 

I legit eat at least 1 pizza every week and sometimes 2 😆

ri Alban
14 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I legit eat at least 1 pizza every week and sometimes 2 😆

Italian people live a long time. I like a Frankie Valli, now and then. :)

RS86

Been throwing crosstrainer in once a week between gym sessions to try and improve my recovery and i'm finding just doing a steady pace for around 15km has made a big difference easing up my legs and hips. Need to push for a 2nd day I think, helps counteract sitting at a desk all day.