The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Shanks said no

Joy

Very impressed. I thought it was interestingly written and had a number of great performances, particularly Bradley Cooper, who strolls it. I also liked the soundtrack at times

10/10

We watched it last night as well, have to say wife enjoyed it more than me. You are right about Bradley Cooper, he and Robert De Niro were glowing. Soundtrack was certainly better than the crap I had been forced to watch on Glastonbury. I just felt it was a bit messy at times but I had been on the vodka so may have lost the plot a bit.

Joy

8/10

Shanks said no

Rams  

7/10

For those wanting something a bit different. An Icelandic film about 2 brothers on neighbouring farms who don't speak. However when an outbreak of Scrapie hits their valley what will they do? A melancholy comedy follows. 

luckyBatistuta

Agreed 9/10. Really good movie

Eye in the Sky

9/10

Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman are superb in this edgy thriller. Young girl walks into predicted blast area for a drone strike on terrorists arming up for a suicide attack. Moral dilemmas, edge of the seat stuff. You'll be screaming 'do it' or ' don't do it' in equal measure.

Great film.

Agree on the Eye in the Sky bud. Id give it 9/10 too. It was edge of the seat stuff. The strange thing for me though, was my mate thought it was crap. He said it wasn't believable, with the bird and insect drones, as there is no way they have stuff like that. Hot the #### he can say that, I don't know.

Shanks said no

Mississippi Grind

6/10

Ben Mendelsohn and Ryan Reynolds star in this gambling movie. Although there were elements of the Diceman (great book) in it I was uninspired. It just sort of goes on and on and I just didn't care if they won or lost.

The conjuring 2. Decent horror with jumpy scares, based on the Enfield haunting, not any better than the TVs version of last year with Timothy spall, 7/10

Independence Day 2, 6/10.not a patch on the first

Shanks said no

Creed

6/10

I never was a big Rocky fan so it came as no surprise that this did little for me. OK scene setter for the next leg of the franchise.

Northern Soul.

Story about a couple of lads in 70's Lancashire getting into the dance scene and associated bother.

I really wanted to love this film but in the end I just didn't. Really well made with a largely unknown cast and, of course, a brilliant soundtrack.

5/10

Shanks said no

Bone Tomahawk

6/10

Slow paced Western that tries to mix old school with a modern twist. Cannibalistic cave dwelling native Americans and a rag tag posse. Starring Patrick Wilson and Kurt Russell.

Zero Days - caught this at the film festival. Outstanding documentary by Alex Gibney about US/Israeli computer viruses designed to take out Iranian nuclear facilities. Absolutely fascinating. 9/10

Tiger Raid - another film festival number, about Irish mercenaries in Iraq. Based on a stage show so it was very 'stagey' but well acted, although it lacked action. 6/10

Dis(honesty): The Truth About Lies - documentary by Dan Ariely, a professor in behavioural economics who's done some great TED talks about irrational behaviour. This one is on why we lie, with him discussing the psychology of it alongside some real life examples (doping cyclists, people with high profile jobs who lied on their CV etc). Well worth watching. 8/10

Prince Buaben

Independance Day: Resurrgence 6/10. Was okay 

Me before you 5/10 Typical chick flick tear jerker...(I didnt cry)

JudyJudyJudy

Zero Days - caught this at the film festival. Outstanding documentary by Alex Gibney about US/Israeli computer viruses designed to take out Iranian nuclear facilities. Absolutely fascinating. 9/10

Tiger Raid - another film festival number, about Irish mercenaries in Iraq. Based on a stage show so it was very 'stagey' but well acted, although it lacked action. 6/10

Dis(honesty): The Truth About Lies - documentary by Dan Ariely, a professor in behavioural economics who's done some great TED talks about irrational behaviour. This one is on why we lie, with him discussing the psychology of it alongside some real life examples (doping cyclists, people with high profile jobs who lied on their CV etc). Well worth watching. 8/10

All sound good. 

JudyJudyJudy

I love my old classic films as well as modern films. 

Just watched " Whos afraid of Virginia woolf? Yet again.  Liz Taylor and Richard Burton give outstanding performances in a film about marital discord and the games people play. Loads of shouting in it obviously    !   9/10

Also watched " The nice guys" with Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling. Its a very funny pastiche of 1970s " cop buddy" films.  Really good laugh. Bizarre at times. I could imagine it will become a cult classic with the stoner generation.  

8/10 

Russell Crowe really is an outstanding actor. Has a screen presence which reminds me of Brando. 

rudi must stay

Grimsby

Thought it was pretty good. Some funny ideas, and Mark Strong puts in a solid performance as usual

6/10

spectre 6/10 - was too long lots of filler and seemed like they were trying to remake bits of older bond films without any new ideas

rudi must stay

The Avengers Age of Ultra

Didn't have what the Avengers had, but still an entertaining film with James Spader doing a great job as the films main villain

7/10

Battle for Sevestapol. 8/10

Russian made WW2 film about a female sniper from Oddessa who killed 309 germans.

Dagger Is Back

Eye In the Sky. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. 8/10

Kept my attention and despite some of my family telling me to give it a miss 8/10 from me too

Ryan Jarman

Labour day 7/10 if only that it proves the point you look more manly with a beard.

PsychocAndy

Eddie the Eagle 7/10

Had a crappy weekend with the sniffles and knew I get an uplifting film. The 5-1 helped too

Northern Soul 8/10

PsychocAndy

Good Vibrations 8/10

Set in late 70's Belfast about Punk Rock and The Good Vibrations record shop.

rudi must stay

Cloverfield 10

A really interesting independant film. Really liked John Goodman's performance, he is a clever actor, the main girl is very good as well.

8/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Shanks said no

Emelie

4/10

Your babysitter can't make it so you get a stranger to do it, this won't end well. Not that scary but different.

Watched the 3 hour ultimate cut of Batman Vs Superman last night. Much better than the cinema version. I actually enjoyed it more this time.

The Killing Joke. 9.5/10

Mark Hammil returns as the Joker in the definitive Joker origin story. A must for any DC fan. Would love to see this made into a live action movie at some point but it would have to be non kid friendly like this and the comic as making it otherwise would ruin the story.

Shanks said no

In the Heart of the Sea

5/10

Story behind the book Moby Dick. CGI great but I could see why it flopped, cost $100M to make and grossed $25M or so. Ron Howard does make bad films too.

Carl Fredrickson

In the Heart of the Sea

5/10

Story behind the book Moby Dick. CGI great but I could see why it flopped, cost $100M to make and grossed $25M or so. Ron Howard does make bad films too.

I would agree with that. It felt like it could have been a great movie but it just didnt live up to the potential. (I saw it a while ago but the disappointment still lingers!)

Dont often post on this thread but watched a couple of family movies recently:

The Secret Life of Pets

Really enjoyed this and found myself laughing a few times. 7/10

The BFG

Watched this with my son and it was OK but the farting scene near the end made it a funny movie. Seeing my 6 year old in stitches with laughter redeemed it. 6/10

The Secret Life Of Pets - OK kids film. I was hoping for more as I love Louis CK but he wasn't exactly doing a standup routine. Kids quite liked it though. 6/10

Precinct 75 - really interesting documentary about corrupt cops in New York in the late 80s/early 90s. Kind of like Goodfellas for cops. Well worth watching. 8/10

Ghost In The Shell - classic Japanese manga movie, soon to be remade into a Hollywood live action film. Will be interesting to see how they do it. 7/10

Shanks said no

A Bigger Splash

7/10

An odd one with Tilda Swinton, Matthias Schoenaerts, Ralph Fiennes and the delicious Dakota Johnson (not my normal type). Beautifully shot on the Italian island of Pantelleria. Sexual tension is the basic theme and its predictable and unpredictable at the same time!

rudi must stay

Star Trek Into Darkness

Didn't have what the other 2 new movies had for me. But it has some positives, some good action scenes and a very good villain

7/10

Shanks said no

600 miles

2/10

Although the last 25 minutes are an improvement and actually have some action, the first 65 minutes are so painfully bad that it was really difficult to stick with this US/Mexico road movie. Was so bad that I actually googled whether Tim Roth has financial problems as there is no apparent reason why he would have wanted to star through this. Avoid.

PS he appears to be paid $250k per episode of Lie to me

Shanks said no

Orthodox

7/10

As a fan of Stephen Graham I was looking forward to this one. He plays an orthodox Jew in the north of England who decides to fight back, take up boxing and therefore has to give up his culture / community. Typically gritty and violent but not as excessive as the 18 certificate makes you think. Particular praise for the acting of Christopher Fairbank who plays Goldberg, a shockingly evil performance.

Watched Batman V Superman and finally got to the end of it.

Hated it.

Too much crammed into it.

Too much laughable plot lines like The Daily Planet finally realizing Clark Kent is Superman.. cause he wasnt wearing his glasses.

4/10 Cause of the last 45 minutes

Shanks said no

The Danish Girl

3/10

Now for something completely different. One for those interested in the subject of transgenderation (?). Stars Alicia Vikander & Eddie Redmayne and inspired by the true story of Danish artists Lili Elbe and her wife Gerda. Watched it at 1.5 speed and you could make out the dialogue, not my cup of tea.

Agree on the Eye in the Sky bud. Id give it 9/10 too. It was edge of the seat stuff. The strange thing for me though, was my mate thought it was crap. He said it wasn't believable, with the bird and insect drones, as there is no way they have stuff like that. Hot the #### he can say that, I don't know.

They are called MAV's (micro air vehicles) and they ARE real. Search  YouTube for 'insect drones'

Edited by CollyWolly

rudi must stay

Floating

A decent wee German film with some good acting and funny moments

6/10

Edited by rudi must stay

luckyBatistuta

They are called MAV's (micro air vehicles) and they ARE real. Search  YouTube for 'insect drones'

Yeah, ended up in an argument too. I could see the point, if it was something out of this world and just not believable, but it's just a drone. Thought the film was good too.

Yeah, ended up in an argument too. I could see the point, if it was something out of this world and just not believable, but it's just a drone. Thought the film was good too.

It was an excellent movie. Mind you can't go wrong with Mirren and Rickman.

Shanks said no

Natural Born Pranksters

5/10

YouTube's  pranksters, Roman Atwood, Vitaly Z, and Dennis Roady on the big screen. Pretty standard fair doing what Candid Camera and Jackass did before. A few good sketches in there though.

Jason Bourne 7/10

It's Bourne - Paul Greengrass

Fast, slick, in line with previous but possibly more close to ethos.

Links to his dad as basis for story.

Ends well and keeps open for more.

Loses a point for an OTT car chase near the end.

Shanks said no

High-Rise

2/10

Sorry but just didn't get it. Residents in a High Rise get out of control. All star cast but it was way too surreal for me.