The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

jack D and coke

Recently watched....

The Revenant - 6/10 seems to spend loads of the film face down crawling about. I normally like Di Caprio but he just seemed too intense and angry all the time for me in this. The bear scene was good though, very well done.

The Hateful Eight - 8/10 maybe it's because I didn't expect much I ended up enjoying this more than the Revenant. Not many people can make films in such small confines and make them so engrossing and make them surprise you. Tarantino is very good at it I enjoyed this.

rudi must stay

Bridge of Spies

A film worth watching. I enjoyed the film and Tom Hanks and Rylance's performances, as usual a very likeable performance from Tom Hanks. The film itself is very well put together and very balanced too, which I think makes it one of Spielberg's best

10/10

Glamorgan Jambo

Son of Saul - 9/10

Firstly I decided not to take my 16 yo daughter and I'm really glad I didn't. The film is harrowing and very challenging.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you understand a fair bit about the workings of Auschwitz (i.e. the selection process and how the Sonderkommando worked) and the Shoah/Holocaust in general because there's not a lot of background given.

Also it's filmed in narrow format 4:3 mostly either over the shoulder or in the face of Saul.

It's designed to be viewed with subtitles as there's at least four languages being used in order to add to the atmosphere of chaos and confusion.

It's a tale of trying to hang onto the last vestiges of humanity in the most inhuman of environments.

I'd highly recommend it if you can put up with the above and IMO it's a very important movie.

I'm about to download 'The Pianist' to view with my daughter as it's more suitable for her.

Son of Saul - 9/10

Firstly I decided not to take my 16 yo daughter and I'm really glad I didn't. The film is harrowing and very challenging.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you understand a fair bit about the workings of Auschwitz (i.e. the selection process and how the Sonderkommando worked) and the Shoah/Holocaust in general because there's not a lot of background given.

Also it's filmed in narrow format 4:3 mostly either over the shoulder or in the face of Saul.

It's designed to be viewed with subtitles as there's at least four languages being used in order to add to the atmosphere of chaos and confusion.

It's a tale of trying to hang onto the last vestiges of humanity in the most inhuman of environments.

I'd highly recommend it if you can put up with the above and IMO it's a very important movie.

I'm about to download 'The Pianist' to view with my daughter as it's more suitable for her.

The Pianist is a wonderful film.

JudyJudyJudy

Bridge of Spies

A film worth watching. I enjoyed the film and Tom Hanks and Rylance's performances, as usual a very likeable performance from Tom Hanks. The film itself is very well put together and very balanced too, which I think makes it one of Spielberg's best

10/10

Hanks is such an underrated actor. Even though he has won  2 Best Actor Oscars.  He doesnt get the kudos he deserves. A really fine dependable actor. Never seen him give a bad performance. He reminds me of the old style actors like James Stewart and Gary Cooper. Unassuming but effective. 

JudyJudyJudy

Hanks is such an underrated actor. Even though he has won  2 Best Actor Oscars.  He doesnt get the kudos he deserves. A really fine dependable actor. Never seen him give a bad performance. He reminds me of the old style actors like James Stewart and Gary Cooper. Unassuming but effective. 

Ps he is magnificent in " The road to perdition"...what a film.

Shanks said no

Kill your friends

7/10

Good sick black comedy based on the 90's music industry and starring Nicholas Hoult. Gave it an extra couple of points for the James Corden scenes, particularly the last one which I found particularly pleasing.

Shanks said no

The Connection

7/10

French (subtitled) film along the lines of the F.C. Marseilles is corrupt, its the centre of the drug trade and a new police magistrate is in town and he wants to clean up the city. Very well shot and feels authentic with 70/80's cars and decor. Fast moving and stylish portrayal of the law v's the mega rich drug lords, in particular Tany.

Edited by godandgorgie2012

vegas-voss

The Champions 10/10

Documentary about re homing pitbulls that the sick **** Michael Vicks(NFL star) had in a fighting school at his house.

Shanks said no

Black Mass

8/10

Johnny Depp like I had never seen, or expected to see, before. The true story of Whitey Bulger who was the Mafia king of South Boston. Very violent, often for the sake of it but necessary to tell the story of a powerfully wicked and manipulative nutter. Depp's character has no limits and will use violence at any moment making this a dark and disturbing film.

rudi must stay

Sing Street

Failed to build on a great start for me. It has some good performances though and nice shots of Ireland

6/10

Southbound

5.5/10

Bizarre omnibus horror with 5 mini stories linked together by a highway in the middle of the desert.

Edited by Ray Gin

Shanks said no

Sunset Song

7/10

Rare to get a Scottish film, think its my 1st since Barney Thompson, and this was quite good although a little bit more for the ladies. Based on the novel by Lewis Grassic Gibbon, although my wife said the end was different. Set in rural Aberdeenshire just before and into WW1. I thought that Peter Mullan's portrayal of the father was shockingly good or evil depending on how you view it!

The Big Short - very good; one of the better films about the financial crisis. Bale and Carrell were both very good. 8/10

Shanks said no

Love is Strange

4/10

Great cast with Marisa Tomei, Alfred Molina & John Lithgow with the last two playing an aging gay couple. I didn't really like it as I felt it was just too twee USA we can do gay films. Maybe just wrong film for my mood.

luckyBatistuta

Sing Street

Failed to build on a great start for me. It has some good performances though and nice shots of Ireland

6/10

Trying to find a link on Kodi that works for this, tried loads and nothing. Quite fancy it too.

rudi must stay

X men (2000)

A great film, very atmospheric and scary at times too. There is an oscar nomination worth performance from Ian McKellan, an actor I have never particularly rated, in the film as well

10/10

@VladMagic

Human Traffic.

Made me feel 20 again. I was based in Cardiff around the time of filming. Im sure there was a Club there called the Elephant Club? Can someone confirm? Was down the bottom of Queen Street on the left after the bridge? Sure it featured in the film?

...a bit disco

Human Traffic.

Made me feel 20 again. I was based in Cardiff around the time of filming. Im sure there was a Club there called the Elephant Club? Can someone confirm? Was down the bottom of Queen Street on the left after the bridge? Sure it featured in the film?

A sequel in the works apparently.

It's half term so had to sit through Big Hero 6.....again! It's no "The Incredibles"!! Watched Spotlight the other night, very good.

Shanks said no

Bridge of Spies

8/10

Excellent film and Hanks plays the lead well. Good Cold war true tale of spies and the subterfuge surrounding them.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows.

Took the boy to see it today, truly awful!!

3-10

Shanks said no

Spotlight

5/10

Don't know what all the fuss was about, has the USA just realised why a number of clergy like kids? 

Victoria

8/10

Excellent German film shot in real-time in a single take. A girl meets some random blokes in Berlin and decides to party with them, only for the night to take an unexpected turn.

Takes a while to draw you in but explodes into life half-way through.

The Nice Guys 6/10

Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling - get together on a missing person case. Set in 70s with some decent period scenes. It's fun though a little clunky. Offbeat. Fairly violent and a bit sexy. Can imagine what a Freddy Mercury or Elton John party was like now.

One gripe was I couldn't make out all of the dialogue. Not sure if specific to cinema - Cameo Edinburgh.

Edited by Mikey1874

Shanks said no

Room

9/10

Wow, that was a complete surprise. Too easy to post spoilers but here goes. Let just say think Josef Fritzl in the USA. My wife had some issues with it but I found it a very good American film. Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay are superb in their roles. Go in blind like I did and you will love it. Best US film I have watched this year.

The Exorcism of Molly Hartley.

Pish, absolutely pish!! 1 out of 10, I only gave the 1 for the boobage at the start, avoid.

Shanks said no

Grandma

8/10

An aging lesbian played really convincingly by Lily Tomlin has to help her granddaughter get an abortion. They head off on a mini road trip to obtain funds and Tomlin plays a very abrasive character but is hilarious, the coffee shop scene was superb. A great little indie film.

Legend - good cast and Tom Hardy was great but it was half an hour too long and having Ronnie's wife as the narrator and centre of the story was a mistake (or the casting was, as the actress wasn't good enough). 5/10

Shanks said no

Youth

7/10

One of those films where the trailers are great but then when you see it you realise that was all the best bits. Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel, Rachel Weisz and Jane Fonda. Gave it an extra point for M?d?lina Diana Ghenea, playing Miss Universe, for the pool scene. All together much odder than I expected, including Diego Maradona!

rudi must stay

Valhalla Rising

Recommend this one. It is extremely slow, but with Nicolas Winding Refn as director it is interestingly shot, full of ideas and intensely acted. Brutal at times, but there is a good film in there

8/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Shanks said no

The night before

7/10

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Seth Rogen and Anthony Mackie star as a group of friends who go out to party every Christmas Eve. Its fairly typical stoner fair that I thought was just ok but my better half liked it more.  Any film with Michael Shannon in it gets an extra point from me.

...a bit disco

Gridlocked

Dominic Purcell stars as Dominic Purcell in a lame attempt at Assault on Precinct 13/Ride Along.

Enjoyed it all the same.

6/10

Shanks said no

Dirty Grandpa

8/10

Very rude and crude but pretty funny. Yes it doesn't keep pace throughout but RDN is superb in the lead role.

rudi must stay

What we did on our holiday

A morbid and terrible movie with Billy Connelly barely even trying. A shame after a promising start

5/10

Edited by rudi must stay

luckyBatistuta

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi... Fantastic film and even better when you know it's a true story. 9/10

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi... Fantastic film and even better when you know it's a true story. 9/10

Agreed 9/10. Really good movie

Eye in the Sky

9/10

Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman are superb in this edgy thriller. Young girl walks into predicted blast area for a drone strike on terrorists arming up for a suicide attack. Moral dilemmas, edge of the seat stuff. You'll be screaming 'do it' or ' don't do it' in equal measure.

Great film.

batman v superman 3/10 - really poor, lack of a decent plot, jeremey irons as alfred was wrong, wasn't dressed like a butler or acted like one, henry cavill IMO cant act every time he was supposed to show emotional pain he looked constipated. batman was a shoddy knock-off of ironman. bad introduction to wonder woman - only there due to being eye candy, and the bits about aquaman, the flash and what other superhero were pointless. in conclusion awful

The Fundamentals Of Caring - caught this at the film festival but it's a Netflix film and starts on there soon. Funny road trip film about a carer (played by Paul Rudd) who takes a kid with muscular distrophy (Craig Roberts, who was excellent in Submarine) on a trip across the US. Tugs the heart strings but has some good things to say on disability and fatherhood and there are some very funny bits. 8/10

Independence Day:Resurgence 5/10

It wasnt bad but it wasnt good either just left not getting anything from it.Probably get loads of folk loving it but i am not even sure if deserves the 5 i gave it.

A Patch Of Fog - another from the film festival. Northern Irish take on the stalker genre - Misery with added how about ye. Not brilliant but good performances from Stephen Graham and Conleth Hill (Lord Varys in GoT). 6/10

Ryan Jarman

The Lobster - Dark odd comedy. Really well acted and captivating. Bit of a marmite film for some I'd think but a solid 9/10 from me

Edited by Ryan Jarman

rudi must stay

Joy

Very impressed. I thought it was interestingly written and had a number of great performances, particularly Bradley Cooper, who strolls it. I also liked the soundtrack at times

10/10