The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Batman v Superman

Not a great movie, it isnt put together particularly well IMO. But it has some positives, Jeremy Irons is very different as Alfred, I actually thought he was better than Michael Caine. And Eisenberg is great as Lex Luther, a very cool performance but at the same time quite scary

7/10

Exactly what I took from it. Those two were good, the rest of the film was meh.

Eddie the Eagle

Decent. It is sentimental but seems a fair and kind representation of the man.

Good story.

Note the Hugh Jackman part as a flawed character American coach (he did have American coaches) is entirely fictional.

7/10

Obligatory

eddie-screengrab.jpg

luckyBatistuta

The Jungle Book, went along with the family to see it in 3D. I hadn't seen any trailers and thought it would be just another average remake of an original, but was really shocked, by just how good it was. The way they have done the animals in this film, is fantastic. Shere Khan is super scary and had to laugh at the gangster-esque King Louie played by Christopher Walken. Also the little boy Neel Sethi, who plays Mowgli, is superb. I would definitely recommend taking your kids to see this film?brilliant 10/10.

CavySlaveJambo

Eye in the Sky

9/10

Really gets into the moral, ethical and politcal dilemnas involved in Modern Warfare. An excellent final film from Alan Rickman. 

William H. Bonney

Green room. 8/10.

A punk rock band witness a murder at a neo nazi concert and take refuge in a green room.

Brutal and unflinching.

Victoria - German film about a woman's mad night out shot in one take. It's technically astounding but it's not just a gimmick. While it starts slowly, it's a well-acted, tense story. 8/10

Lady in the van

7/10

Marmite movie as you either love or hate Alan Bennett. What seems like a fairly simple script about an old dear in a van gets quite deep and you find yourself considering your very British views. Anyway the actor playing AB is good but Maggie Smith is wonderful.

Yeh it is marmite. I thought it was a dreadful movie and didn't get anywhere close to the end of it. 3/10 for the first hour or so.

Deadpool 10/10

Absolutely ******* loved this. Ryan Reynolds was fantastic as Deadpool. Alot of Lol moments.

Not my normal kind of movie, in fact one I would studiously avoid. I wouldn't say I laughed out loud but I smiled a lot and it was reasonably entertaining for its genre

6/10

Rudolf's Mate

Back to the Future (1) - 10/10 

Got the kids the game for the PC which they really enjoyed so I suggested we watch the film. Didn't realise there was quite a lot of swear words in it :lol: 

Shanks said no

The Survivalist

6/10

Low budget British Indie film. In the future oil has dried up and the population has been decimated, its back to basics time. I really enjoyed the first half of the film, it was stark with little dialogue and only 3 characters but the second half lost its way as the story widened out, unnecessarily IMHO. 

Southpaw.

Really enjoyed this even if it was a little bit predictable and cliche. Jake Gyllenhaal was excellent in it.

8/10

Edited by iantjambo

Shanks said no

Thanks

I missed it!!!!!!

Did you notice the number of the bus at the bus stop?

anyway

Fathers and Daughters

5/10

Unsure what to make of this and I don't know if I missed bits or if it was as muddled as I thought. Russell Crowe, Amanda Seyfried and Aaron Paul star in a drama about a father/daughter relationship. Crowe plays the dad with mental health issues. My wife seemed to enjoy it.

The Railway Man.

Quite upsetting film about the true story of an Edinburgh man tortured by the Japanese while building the Burma to Thailand railway, Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman star.

9/10 I enjoyed the film but now have an unhealthy dislike of Japanese people.

Shanks said no

Momentum

6/10

Violent bank robbery thriller set in South Africa. If you like your films with plenty of fight scenes, car chases and shootings then this is for you.

Shanks said no

Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens

4/10

Its all about opinions and I just didn't like it.

Captain America Civil War 9/10

Little slow to start, but when it got going it was great, the airport scene itself is worth the score, if you like Marvel movies then go and see this.

The Force Awakens.

Smashing. Felt like one of the originals before Lucas went batshit and spoiled his own creation. Left you hanging nicely for the next one as well.

9/10

luckyBatistuta

Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens

4/10

Its all about opinions and I just didn't like it.

4 is a bit harsh, even if you don't like Star Wars imo

The Railway Man.

Quite upsetting film about the true story of an Edinburgh man tortured by the Japanese while building the Burma to Thailand railway, Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman star.

??

Shanks said no

Self/Less

6/10

Not a bad action film but could have been better, deteriorated into a shoot em up. Could have been much better as it had an interesting theme but the director took the easy route.

Zootropolis - very funny kids film. 8/10

The Wolfpack - odd documentary about an even odder family, whose kids never got to go out growing up so made their own movies instead. I thought it was a bit exploitative. 6/10

Glamorgan Jambo

Has anyone seen 'Son of Saul' - it's a foreign language movie (4 languages Hungarian, German, Polish and Yiddish) about a sonderkommando (special detail) member at Auschwitz. Actually won an Oscar earlier this year but is coming to the local art house cinema next week.

Thinking of taking my 16yo daughter as she's studying the Holocaust for history GCSE but not sure about suitability. She managed Schindler's List fine.

Shanks said no

Has anyone seen 'Son of Saul' - it's a foreign language movie (4 languages Hungarian, German, Polish and Yiddish) about a sonderkommando (special detail) member at Auschwitz. Actually won an Oscar earlier this year but is coming to the local art house cinema next week.

Thinking of taking my 16yo daughter as she's studying the Holocaust for history GCSE but not sure about suitability. She managed Schindler's List fine.

No haven't seen yet but its on my wish list but not out till late June on the site I use.

Anyway

Suffragette

6/10

I had really looked forward to this but as the wife said, we have seen all this before and it felt rather Catherine Cooksony. Just too tame unless of course those fighting for women rights were really as amateurish as portrayed, even the films main turning point didn't feel right and should have been more profound with the aftermath being a large scale street scene (trying not to use spoilers but thinking more Braveheart ending)

Rudolf's Mate

London Has Fallen - 7.5/10

I absolutely hated the first one however I quite liked this. Was a bit surprised tbh.

Glamorgan Jambo

No haven't seen yet but its on my wish list but not out till late June on the site I use.

Anyway

Suffragette

6/10

I had really looked forward to this but as the wife said, we have seen all this before and it felt rather Catherine Cooksony. Just too tame unless of course those fighting for women rights were really as amateurish as portrayed, even the films main turning point didn't feel right and should have been more profound with the aftermath being a large scale street scene (trying not to use spoilers but thinking more Braveheart ending)

Thanks. I'll write up a review after we go (we both decided it would be okay). It's ?4 for me and ?3 for her at the cinema or ?5.50 (I think) as a Sky download so we're off to the cinema next week.

PS It appears it's shot at close quarters to give the impression you're seeing it all from Saul's perspective and the sub titles seem to be limited to the minimum needed to follow the plot.

rudi must stay

Bastille Day

Some clever ideas and scenes, some plot errors I thought and crazy moments. I think overrall it is a decent film but that it was capable of more

6/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Rudolf's Mate

Deadpool - 8/10

Stuck it on a couple of nights ago and really struggled with it. Fell asleep about 40 mins in with no intention of revisiting. Finished it tonight and thought it was brilliant.

Shanks said no

Tangerine

7/10

That was different! Where do I start? OK US Indie film shot entirely on 3 Iphone 5's. Story of transgender working girls in Hollywood. Rude and crude. I was really surprised by how different it felt, especially at the start, crank up the sound as the girls storm down the streets. It did lose its shock value as it went on but there was an element of why Midnight Cowboy shocked almost 50, yes 50 years ago.

Shanks said no

Fall of the Krays

2/10

and that's being kind. Completely unnece??ary sequel to the just decent Rise of the Krays.

Downloaded this but the subs file I had was really poorly translated so I just gave up after 15 minutes.

JudyJudyJudy

I saw it last week. It is harrowing ( not surprisingly) but overrated i felt. I just found it rather dull and its filmed very oddly.  6/10 

Shanks said no

Carol

7/10

Being kind with that score as I probably wasn't in the right mood to watch a lesbian love story having watched RN's latest lacklustre display. Its slow, oddly shot and does have a 50's feel to it. Expected Rock Hudson to appear at any moment.

Spent this afternoon watching Winchester 73 on the telly. Classic old western that I still enjoy no matter how many times I see it.

8/10.

The Railway Man.

Watched this last night. 8/10 from me.

Shanks said no

Black Mountain Poets

2/10

I'm on a really bad run of films at the moment and this one took me to a new low. UK film about modern poets who are in a cottage in the Welsh hills and they recite poetry. I think it was a comedy, only reason I kept watching was out of respect to Alice Lowe (Sightseers), why she signed up for this is very odd!

Back to trying to watch Richard Gere for the 4th time!

rudi must stay

The Legend of Barney Thompson

Liked it alot. Plenty of solid performances make it worth watching, particularly from Emma Thomson, a very different part for her. Interestingly shot too, the cinematographer has done a few Game of Thrones episodes and he does a great job here capturing Glasgow

7/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Flight

Very good movie and highly recommended, Denzel Washington put in an excellent performance as the lead character.

9/10

Shanks said no

Time out of mind

5/10

It took 4 attempts to watch the whole of this Richard Gere film and I am still unsure what I feel about it. Watching one mans mental struggles into homelessness is nothing new, Play for Today and BFTBS did it in the 70's and 80's. So why was this so hard to watch? Probably because you don't really care about the lead character. Some of it is really well shot, there is a scene where a social worker is chatting to him and I started to notice the colours around him but maybe that's because the scene was so boring. So over to KB, what was I missing?

Where to Invade Next?

7/10

Michael Moore documentary looking at countries America should learn from on a range of issues, from drugs to workers' rights and education.