The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

JudyJudyJudy

BBC Four - The Fear of God: Twenty-Five Years of The Exorcist

This is a really good documentary.  A detailed exploration of this classic film. Amazingly there is a follow up coming out soon with Ellen Burstyn in it again. It looks pretty good.  Never seen a horror at the pics in years but might go to see this.

Unsurprisingly Mark Kermode doesn’t rate the new film. Asked if there was anything good about it he said ‘It ends’.

JudyJudyJudy
On 06/10/2023 at 20:40, Jibbers said:

Unsurprisingly Mark Kermode doesn’t rate the new film. Asked if there was anything good about it he said ‘It ends’.

I might still watch it as Ellen Burstyn is always worth a watch 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy

Saw X

Enjoyed this massively. Set between Saw 1 and 2, it ramps up the story and the gore. 

One trap nearly had me spewing into my bag of Maltesers 🤮 😁 7.5/10 

death-spoiled-in-saw-x-trailer-v0-ozsiaanntnjb1.jpg.44489e184d85e528f474d28911e05797.jpg

Peninsula (2020)

2nd live-action movie in the "Train to Busan" franchise. Not a direct sequel but a new story told in the same setting.

4 years after the zombie outbreak in South Korea, a group of Korean refugees are tasked by the Hong Kong mafia with returning to the peninsula to retrieve a truck containing $10 million US dollars.

A passingly enjoyable zombie/heist/adventure film.

Not a patch on Train to Busan itself but worth a watch if it's on telly.

6.5/10

Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning

Bit of a fan of MI films but this was testing and truly ridiculous plot, managed an hour 20 and then had to turn off, no amount of action could make up for it.

3/10. All 3 points for them casting Hayley Atwell.

Old Henry (2021)

1909: In the dying days of the Old West, a remote farmer gets caught up in the aftermath of a heist gone wrong.

A solid little Western with a nice wee surprise twist.

7.5/10

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Old Henry (2021)

1909: In the dying days of the Old West, a remote farmer gets caught up in the aftermath of a heist gone wrong.

7.5/10

Brilliant film. 

The Thing 1982 4K version.

I'm gonna say 10/10

Still an amazing movie and 95% of the effects still stand up today.

You just can't beat practical effects, even with the CGI today.

Ending is still up for debate...

On 09/10/2023 at 14:00, JudyJudyJudy said:

I might still watch it as Ellen Burstyn is always worth a watch 

Apparently only in it for 5 minutes and sadly does **** all.

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

The Thing 1982 4K version.

I'm gonna say 10/10

Still an amazing movie and 95% of the effects still stand up today.

You just can't beat practical effects, even with the CGI today.

Ending is still up for debate...

It was almost ignored on its initial release but is now rightly viewed as a classic and amongst the greatest of all horror films . The tension in the scene where they all have to get their blood examined is incredible . The effects were well ahead of their time too . I must have seen it about 5/6 times now . Shamefully John Carpenter has never even been nominated for an Oscar. 

6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Apparently only in it for 5 minutes and sadly does **** all.

Yes the reviews have been a resounding bomb 💣 ! Pity as I had high hopes for it due to Ms Burstyn being in it . The true sequel is the legendary “ Exorcist 3 “ it’s superb.

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

11 hours ago, Cade said:

Old Henry (2021)

7.5/10

Great film, so much better than any expectations I had for it when I decided to watch it. Loved the twist too, and a great performance by that character.

12 hours ago, Cade said:

Old Henry (2021)

7.5/10

Where did you see it? 

Malinga the Swinga

Watched Jerry Maguire for first time couple of days ago. Have to say I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. 8/10

Emily the Criminal

7/10

Crap title, decent film starring Aubrey Plaza as a woman who is struggling to find work due to a past conviction so turns to fraud to make money.

Reptile ( 2023 

Really enjoyed it . Very atmospheric and suspenseful 

Nothing groundbreaking or particularly different about it . Just a good story and we’ll acted 

Police corruption and money laundering / drug running 

Benicio Del Toro 

Justin Timberlake

Alicia Silverstone

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Reptile ( 2023 

Really enjoyed it . Very atmospheric and suspenseful 

Nothing groundbreaking or particularly different about it . Just a good story and we’ll acted 

Police corruption and money laundering / drug running 

Benicio Del Toro 

Justin Timberlake

Alicia Silverstone

yeah decent film. Really enjoyed it. Anything with Del Toro in it to be fair is awesome. He’s some actor

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Watched Joker tonight - again.  Just love it. The sequel has Lady GaGa in it as Harley Quinn. Should be brilliant 

You may want to check out "You Were Never Really Here" also starring Joachin Phoenix. 

Also playing the role of a traumatised man with a dying mother who ends up turning violent.

On 11/10/2023 at 21:26, Cade said:

Old Henry (2021)

7.5/10

Great movie. You can see the twist coming but a brilliant performance by the lead. 

Rebel without a Cause. (4K disc)

given the film is nearly 70 years old 😱 it’s as relevant now as it’s ever been. James Dean and Natalie Wood are amazing in this and what a tragedy both died so young.  One of the best films ever made imho . Looks amazing now in its 4K restoration .

10/10

Edited by 1971fozzy

The beach (bbc last night).

it’s been ages since I saw this and it was on bbc so thought what the hell. An enjoyable Danny Boyle film with some amazing locations and a younger  DiCaprio in fine form. 7/10

rudi must stay
On 14/10/2023 at 22:15, 1971fozzy said:

Watched Joker tonight - again.  Just love it. The sequel has Lady GaGa in it as Harley Quinn. Should be brilliant 

So did it. Joker is quality

10/10

Malinga the Swinga

Watched Champions on Sky with Woody Harrelson. Based on true story and very funny in some parts while avoiding being too sugary.

A solid 7/10

On 14/10/2023 at 22:15, 1971fozzy said:

He’s a terrific actor . 

6 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Rebel without a Cause. (4K disc)

given the film is nearly 70 years old 😱 it’s as relevant now as it’s ever been. James Dean and Natalie Wood are amazing in this and what a tragedy both died so young.  One of the best films ever made imho . Looks amazing now in its 4K restoration .

10/10

Despite being a film buff I haven’t seen this . In fact I haven’t seen any Dean films . 

“‘West side story “ 

the new version . It was better than I expected . Ironically the guy who played Tony was better than the guy who played it in the 1961 classic but Natalie wood was still better than the lass who played it in this New version . Rita Moreno was also in it , playing the shop keeper role . Must have been quite emotional for her as she played Anita in the original . The lass who played Anita was very good and also won an Oscar , just like Rita did , ( however Judy should have won it for “ Judgement at Nuremberg  gif is her in it ) 

The musical numbers were very good and excitedly choreographed . A good attempt at remaking a classic 

IMG_5843.gif

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

18 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

He’s a terrific actor . 

Despite being a film buff I haven’t seen this . In fact I haven’t seen any Dean films . 

Your in for a treat 

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Your in for a treat 

I preferred Monty Cliff and Brando . But I’ll try Give it a go 

1 hour ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

John wick 4 😳 load of tosh, especially the scene where he is fighting on the stairs whilst doing the hokey cokey

Its about 2 hours too long lol

Insomnia

8/10

Had the urge to rewatch this Nolan classic from the early 00s starring Pacino, Swank and Williams. Didn't disappoint.

Blue Velvet (1986)

David Lynch neo-noir mystery starring Kyle MacLachlan, Dennis Hopper, Isabella Rossellini and Laura Dern.

The usual Lynchian hallmarks of slightly surreal situations, surreal people and stilted speech patterns on show.

A modern classic. 8/10.

Equaliser 3

It's a pish film tbh but it's Denzel Washington doing ninja shit so 6/10. 

The Pope's exorcist 

Utter shite but Russell Crowes performance was actually really good which probably rescued it.

A cross between Ghostbusters and Indiana Jones. Started of well then descended into the utterly ridiculous with some hideous special effects.  

3/10 

The one Anthony Hopkins did was a trillion times better. 

Edited by Cruyff

54 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Equaliser 3

It's a pish film tbh but it's Denzel Washington doing ninja shit so 6/10. 

🤣🤣 made me laugh. Perfectly put

Cool Hand Luke (4K disc)

paul newmans finest hour. Fantastic film that I’d never seen to my shame. Some on screen charisma oooft. Brilliant movie and time flew by watching it

10/10

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Cool Hand Luke (4K disc)

paul newmans finest hour. Fantastic film that I’d never seen to my shame. Some on screen charisma oooft. Brilliant movie and time flew by watching it

10/10

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

👍🤣  great line

It is.

I'm ashamed to say I'd seen the film already but then heard it again during Guns 'n Roses Civil War and didn't realise at first it was from the film :facepalm:Although I did think "I've heard that before somewhere" :lol:

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

7/10

+ 1 for Rebecca Ferguson

8/10

+1 for Hayley Atwell

9/10

- 2 for ridiculous plot contrivances

7/10

-2 for ridiculous massive plot holes

Final score 5/10

12 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Insomnia

8/10

Had the urge to rewatch this Nolan classic from the early 00s starring Pacino, Swank and Williams. Didn't disappoint.

reminds me I need to give this another spin. Great film (if depressing) and what a cast

Carl Fredrickson

The Burial on Prime. Litigation drama with Jamie Foxx and Tommy Lee Jones based on real events. 

If you like David v Goliath true stories (l am a sucker for them) then this will appeal to you. 8./10

The Fabelmans on NowTV. Steven Spielberg film telling the story of his upbringing and desire to become a film maker. I am unsure how accurate it is but I found it engrossing. The film takes you up to a certain point in his life and I hope he does another film as I throughly enjoyed this. 9/10

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

rudi must stay
14 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Insomnia

8/10

Love it. Pacino is great in it. Same cinematographer that did Batman and he makes a film that is at times very atmospheric

Edited by rudi must stay
Typo