Golf Game

jamborich

And Boof takes the first extra hole.

Like the rest of you who have played tonight...whew!!!

Cheers Juanimator good game and good banter.

ArmiyaRomanova

OAKMONT KNOCKOUT MATCHPLAY COMPETITION

After four titanic quarterfinal battles, the players emerging blinking but victorious into the semifinals are...

Dave Spacey//Dave243

graygo

johnmitchell (persil32)

Boof//JamboBoof

And so it's off to the List Randomizer @ random.org I go......

THE SEMIFINALS

GAME ONE

graygo

will play

Dave Spacey//Dave243

GAME TWO

Boof//JamboBoof

will play

johnmitchell (persil32)

Both ties to be played before 11pm on Friday 19th November.

And good luck to all four players..... :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

Wow, all 4 quarter final ties went into extra holes in what were desperately tight affairs, I think this course acts as a great leveller for everyone and should be used more often :thumbsup:

Wow, all 4 quarter final ties went into extra holes in what were desperately tight affairs, I think this course acts as a great leveller for everyone and should be used more often :thumbsup:

I want to play... :(

8 days to go

The Old Tolbooth

I want to play... :(

8 days to go

I'm sure we can squeeze another 4 tournaments into an 8 day schedule just to give the rest of us a chance :D

The Old Tolbooth

I was thinking about a league competition, and came up with the following.

League matches could be played as and when, and there's no need to play them willy nilly if people don't want to, although a time schedule would need to be put on it of say 3 weeks to get a tie played, if that tie hasn't been fulfilled in the allotted time then the tie goes to the player who has tried hardest to make it work.

Rounds of fixtures would need to be typed out as "Round 1" "Round 2" etc, and a time frame allotted to each one, for instance if I put up round 1 of fixtures today, then these would need to be completed by 7th December at the latest.

Each person should play everyone twice, home and away :) with the idea of people selecting which course is their favourite to play on, for instance if Graygo chooses Bethpage Black as his favourite course, and his first fixture is against Dunks who has chosen St Andrews, then whoevers name is drawn out of the hat first would stage the match on their respected course and also be responsible for setting the match up.

Scoring is open to suggestions, however I thought about the following

1. Winning a tie gets you 2 points whatever the scoreline you win by

2. Should you win the match by 3 clear holes then an extra point is awarded (ie 3pts for a win)

3. Should you win the match by 4 clear holes then an extra 2 points is awarded (4pts for a win)

4. Should you win the match by 5 clear holes then an extra 3 points is awarded (5pts for a win) and so on

5. Should a match go to extra holes then the winner again gets 2 points, and the loser gets 1 bonus point as a consolation.

If anyone has any further ideas that they would like added then feel free, but I thought a league would work well around knockout comps and such like as quite often people are hanging around waiting for others to finish comps and lose interest a bit, this way it keeps everyone interested as they could simply play a league fixture.

Thoughts guys?

Edited by johnmitchell

I was thinking about a league competition, and came up with the following.

League matches could be played as and when, and there's no need to play them willy nilly if people don't want to, although a time schedule would need to be put on it of say 3 weeks to get a tie played, if that tie hasn't been fulfilled in the allotted time then the tie goes to the player who has tried hardest to make it work.

Rounds of fixtures would need to be typed out as "Round 1" "Round 2" etc, and a time frame allotted to each one, for instance if I put up round 1 of fixtures today, then these would need to be completed by 7th December at the latest.

Each person should play everyone twice, home and away :) with the idea of people selecting which course is their favourite to play on, for instance if Graygo chooses Bethpage Black as his favourite course, and his first fixture is against Dunks who has chosen St Andrews, then whoevers name is drawn out of the hat first would stage the match on their respected course and also be responsible for setting the match up.

Scoring is open to suggestions, however I thought about the following

1. Winning a tie gets you 2 points whatever the scoreline you win by

2. Should you win the match by 3 clear holes then an extra point is awarded (ie 3pts for a win)

3. Should you win the match by 4 clear holes then an extra 2 points is awarded (4pts for a win)

4. Should you win the match by 5 clear holes then an extra 3 points is awarded (5pts for a win) and so on

5. Should a match go to extra holes then the winner again gets 2 points, and the loser gets a 1 bonus point as a consolation.

If anyone has any further ideas that they would like added then feel free, but I thought a league would work well around knockout comps and such like as quite often people are hanging around waiting for others to finish comps and lose interest a bit, this way it keeps everyone interested as they could simply play a league fixture.

Thoughts guys?

Sounds decent enough to me.

What happens if 2 people choose the same course? Do they just play it twice

The Old Tolbooth

Sounds decent enough to me.

What happens if 2 people choose the same course? Do they just play it twice

Yeah that was the thinking mate, it would be ideal if there were enough courses to allocate one per person, but that's not possible just now, need to have a word with WGT about that one :D

Yeah that was the thinking mate, it would be ideal if there were enough courses to allocate one per person, but that's not possible just now, need to have a word with WGT about that one :D

What if they could just chose a course for the match.. Why do they have to play all their home games on one course. i.e. me and John both like St Andrews, its his home course and he humps me.. We'll I don't want to play him there again and I take him somewhere else.

Also - If it is a tie after 18 holes. I say its a point each, and you don't take account of the extra holes regardless of what happens.

I am not sure about the extra point for winning big. Why not just keep a for and against score on the table, a goal difference if you must.. AS it could work out that someone who wins less matches actually ends up on more points .. (I win 5 games 8 and 7) and John wins 9 games all 1 up. I would have more points. This is not fair.

So - you win 5 and 4.. the table, which john has agreed to manage, you get a 5 in the goals for column and your opponent gets a -5.

What if they could just chose a course for the match.. Why do they have to play all their home games on one course. i.e. me and John both like St Andrews, its his home course and he humps me.. We'll I don't want to play him there again and I take him somewhere else.

Also - If it is a tie after 18 holes. I say its a point each, and you don't take account of the extra holes regardless of what happens.

I am not sure about the extra point for winning big. Why not just keep a for and against score on the table, a goal difference if you must.. AS it could work out that someone who wins less matches actually ends up on more points .. (I win 5 games 8 and 7) and John wins 9 games all 1 up. I would have more points. This is not fair.

So - you win 5 and 4.. the table, which john has agreed to manage, you get a 5 in the goals for column and your opponent gets a -5.

Do you guys not work, who finds the time to play all this PC golf!!!!!

Just jealous, think I've managed 1 round every 2 weeks and I'm crap. Prefer JKB outings, have a chance then ;)

The Old Tolbooth

All very good points about the scoring system mate which is why it was put out there to be shot down (ya git :P )

I agree with the 2 points for a win, and I nearly typed a point each for a halved match too would you believe, but then I thought folk would come back asking for the extra hole to decide the winner etc, so still needs a bit group discussion around this one, but I definitely favour your point of 2 points for a win and nothing more when I think about it.

As for the courses, I felt that by letting players choose their course that it takes away from having to bicker about which course a match gets played on, for instance I have to admit that I like playing Oakmont for matchplay games, as I find it's a great leveller, however I may struggle to keep up with the better players round Kiawah Island as it's an easier course for the better players to practice their target golf. Rather than letting players choose a course however, I would be keen to allocate courses to players so that there is a non bias towards one course as 9 players might choose St Andrews and one player might choose somewhere else, this wouldn't be good :wacko:

Do you guys not work, who finds the time to play all this PC golf!!!!!

Just jealous, think I've managed 1 round every 2 weeks and I'm crap. Prefer JKB outings, have a chance then ;)

Mate, we're both in financial services so have time to burn :D

When you free Gaygo :whistling:

This is my first semi too John, it's the first tourney I've managed a win and got 2 in a row. Looking to make it 3 out of 3 though :unsure:

Should be 2 cracking games again :thumbsup:

John,

The idea sounds good to me.

Have you thought about how long the league is to run, eg 3-4-5 months ?

My thoughts on what courses to play would be, play each opponent on all 3.

This would obviously depend on how many players would be in the league and

if the time frame allows us to play each other 3 times over the course of

the season, so it's probably not worth thinking about until such time you

get all the numbers required. :blink:

John,

Your website's fantastic :D

The Old Tolbooth

When you free Gaygo :whistling:

This is my first semi too John, it's the first tourney I've managed a win and got 2 in a row. Looking to make it 3 out of 3 though :unsure:

Should be 2 cracking games again :thumbsup:

You could call us both "semi virgins" Dave :D

John,

I agree, your website is fantastic mate :thumbsup:

There's 4 courses we can play on mate, and to be honest I thought that around 10 people would sign up for the league, if there was to be more than 10 people I would probably do a division 1 and a division 2 with promotion and relegation as it's easier to manage fixtures and also gives people more to play for, shorter leagues makes shorter time scales and keeps the interest levels up too.

Your website's fantastic :D

I agree, your website is fantastic mate :thumbsup:

There's 4 courses we can play on mate, and to be honest I thought that around 10 people would sign up for the league, if there was to be more than 10 people I would probably do a division 1 and a division 2 with promotion and relegation as it's easier to manage fixtures and also gives people more to play for, shorter leagues makes shorter time scales and keeps the interest levels up too.

Cheers gents, long overdue an upgrade . . . if I wiznae playing so much golf it might get done. :whistling:

Yep John, that sounds good too. It's just a waiting game for numbers now to go to the next stage. :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

I like the divisions idea, could also throw in the occasional cup too.

I like the divisions idea too, 2 leagues of 6 or 3 leagues of 5 or something, that would be pretty good.

Jaunimator, you probably recognise where I pinched my avatar from :whistling:

ArmiyaRomanova

Love an ongoing league (or leagues) idea - though for those not in on it at the start, it's a long-term dissuader from getting involved.

I don't want to organise/run it though - I'm happy just to keep the occasional tourney/knockout comp going. :thumbsup:

.. the table, which john has agreed to manage

He did? Good man, John :D

Oh yeah...I'm aboot noo John if you want to do the business.

The Old Tolbooth

Boof finds bunker with his drive on the 4th while I bang mine down the middle, Boof plays out into middle of fairway and gets his bucket and spade out as he bangs his third into another bunker.

Boof on the green in 4 and misses his par putt, and I play up close and sink for par taking the hole, Boof 1 up after 4.

The Old Tolbooth

Hole 5 and both hit decent drives and decent second shots, my putt swerves in front of the hle and stays out, whilst Boof (who's putter is on drugs!) holes another cracker to go 2 up, cracker mate!

The Old Tolbooth

I hit a beauty which hits the pin on the 8th and stops 14 inches from the pin, Boof misses his birdie putt and I sink mine, match now all square again.

Boof pars the 8th but, after John's flagstick-hitting tee shot, doesn't hold much hope for a half...and as I type I hear the rattle of ball in cup.

All square.